qwertinsky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertinsky
waclark57 wrote:I am curious as to why an iPad would be any harder to point at an object in the sky than this device? Some of the apps I have seen use the camera on the back of the iPad to project the sky image on the screen of the iPad. What am I missing?

Fire up your I-Pad at a star party and you will end up having it surgically removed from your neither regions due to it's ultra bright white back-light.

qwertinsky

sdkammer wrote:This looks really cool...and I might actually have been in for one...except..

I'm pretty sure the reason this is so inexpensive is that now, anyone with an Android phone has just about every bit of this functionality (and possibly some things this doesn't do) with the free app "Google Sky". I imagine there's something similar in IOS but I don't know for sure.

Sorry guys...don't get my money today...but you'll get it sooner or later...

Tablets and smart phones bacl lights ruin your night vision. That makes all the "astronomy apps" worthless to actually use for astronomy.

versed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages versed
acanarelli wrote:You may be right but I can't see how you can use your Iphone to do the same thing this device does, even with an app. How can you point your phone at an object in the sky and then have your phone tell you what you just pointed at? This device has a functional GPS system within along with an object library for more than 10,000 objects. It automatically knows where on Earth you are standing and exactly what you are pointing at. It will then tell you all you need to know about the object you're viewing. Or you can do it in reverse...ask the device to show you a particular object (let's say M42) and the device will guide to find the target.

My Galaxy Note II knows exactly where I am on earth too, and has Google Sky. Better off investing in a telescope, like they had here yesterday or the day before.

Councelor

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Councelor
Russ6169 wrote:Can't my iPad do everything that this can do?

Yes there is, it is like a $10 app and works fabulous with a much much bigger screen then this thing seems to have. Can even look down and see what stars are out in China!

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
qwertinsky wrote:Fire up your I-Pad at a star party and you will end up having it surgically removed from your neither regions due to it's ultra bright white back-light.

Don't iPads have a brightness adjust?

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

qwertinsky

geo8rge wrote:Don't iPads have a brightness adjust?

Does not matter, all white light is forbidden. Because even dim white light will trash your night vision.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium for $100 + free shipping
Until 3:30 pm ET (or 100% claimed), Amazon offers the Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium, model no. 93970, for $99.99 with free shipping. That's a $5 drop from two days ago and the lowest total price we could find by $2. It uses GPS technology to provide scientific, historical, and mythological information about celestial objects as you view them.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

dliidlii wrote:Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium for $100 + free shipping
Until 3:30 pm ET (or 100% claimed), Amazon offers the Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium, model no. 93970, for $99.99 with free shipping. That's a $5 drop from two days ago and the lowest total price we could find by $2. It uses GPS technology to provide scientific, historical, and mythological information about celestial objects as you view them.

"we?"

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

WalrusAnderson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WalrusAnderson

Anybody else get one (or two) of these from Woot and discover (1) they are set for Spanish language and (2) the language cannot be changed (even with a firmware upgrade, according to Celestron)??

The Walrus

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

WalrusAnderson wrote:Anybody else get one (or two) of these from Woot and discover (1) they are set for Spanish language and (2) the language cannot be changed (even with a firmware upgrade, according to Celestron)??

Lo siento por los problemas.

Email support@woot.com and let see what they can do. Include your woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

WalrusAnderson

Thanks! I'll do that!

The Walrus

rshigenaka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rshigenaka

Oh, great! Bought this as a present, so will my wife be sorely disappointed (and then really upset) when she opens it on Christmas only to find out that she cannot understand any of the information?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
rshigenaka wrote:Oh, great! Bought this as a present, so will my wife be sorely disappointed (and then really upset) when she opens it on Christmas only to find out that she cannot understand any of the information?

As TT noted above, if you have any problems, please mail support!

I'm just hanging out, really.

newtowoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newtowoot
WalrusAnderson wrote:Anybody else get one (or two) of these from Woot and discover (1) they are set for Spanish language and (2) the language cannot be changed (even with a firmware upgrade, according to Celestron)??

Luckily, I'm not affected, but I'd be curious if anyone actually is affected and if so whether you received one in: Spanish, French, German or Italian.

WalrusAnderson

newtowoot wrote:Luckily, I'm not affected, but I'd be curious if anyone actually is affected and if so whether you received one in: Spanish, French, German or Italian.

Bought 2; both are in Spanish, a lovely romantic language that I don't speak! According to Celestron, even a firmware update cannot change the language - it is what it comes with.

The Walrus

PemberDucky

Staff

WalrusAnderson wrote:Bought 2; both are in Spanish, a lovely romantic language that I don't speak! According to Celestron, even a firmware update cannot change the language - it is what it comes with.

that is just silly. all of it.
sorry about that.

did you contact Support yet?

cfranz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfranz
jamesbottomtooth wrote:i remember when i bought it for $400. geez. awesome tool. really better than having a telescope if you're just starting out. helps you learn the sky, helps you find the objects that you can then look at with your binoculars.

Geeez. You could have at least warned us that there are no 64 bit drivers for the thing.

rustyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rustyk

Mine came with Spanish language and a possible mechanical defect. Celestron promptly offered an RMA for replacement, because the language can't be changed.

WalrusAnderson

PemberDucky wrote:that is just silly. all of it.
sorry about that.

did you contact Support yet?

Yes, they gave me a case # and asked me to wait until after last week's Woot-Off and then contact them again. I contacted them after the Woot-Off as instructed - days later, still no response...

The Walrus

Genesp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Genesp

Woot was put on my homepage long ago. I'm removing it.
The item is now for sale on Amazon for $110 with free shipping, giving me a total of $5 savings for an item that was DOA when opened by my son on Christmas. Woot doesn't take returns, and I've been unable to get in touch with Celestron despite multiple calls over the last week.
Sorry Woot, you're just not what you used to be.

PemberDucky

Staff

Genesp wrote:Woot was put on my homepage long ago. I'm removing it.
The item is now for sale on Amazon for $110 with free shipping, giving me a total of $5 savings for an item that was DOA when opened by my son on Christmas. Woot doesn't take returns, and I've been unable to get in touch with Celestron despite multiple calls over the last week.
Sorry Woot, you're just not what you used to be.

sorry you've had so much trouble. we definitely will work with you if you received a defective product. i'll forward your information along to CS.

(incidentally, there was a holiday last week, which may account for the delay in a response from Celestron.)

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
Genesp wrote:Woot doesn't take returns

This is not true, including on this very item. (Italian menus and documentation here, and I already have a link to my return shipping label.) I'm going to contact Celestron first to see if they'll exchange it for one in English, but the Woot return label is good for a few days if Celestron can't do it either. (The Amazon price is now $140, FWIW.)