2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Pyrex Prep, Store & Bake 28pc Set
$64.99 + $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day Shipping
Condition:

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

unknownwarrior33

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unknownwarrior33

That's a whole lot of food storage. Seems nicely made, and Pyrex always makes good stuff from what I've heard.

insurgent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages insurgent

Is this good Pyrex? Or explode-randomly-Pyrex??

I don't want the latter.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 87 Private Messages sellbuyer92

Here's something as similiar as I could find on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-20-Piece-Bake-Store-Set/dp/B006NZPF56

Nemesis: Stryper2000| What's in Manhands' hands?

epsy06

quality posts: 3 Private Messages epsy06
insurgent wrote:Is this good Pyrex? Or explode-randomly-Pyrex??

I don't want the latter.

I believe all US sold Pyrex is their new glass, which is the "explode-randomly-Pyrex."

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I love all my Pyrex products. The quality is outstanding. I will definitely be buying this set.

theblum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theblum

Great assortment .. in for 1!

kickfroggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kickfroggy

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Easy-17-Piece-Glass-Bakeware/dp/B0089VI4IC

Some comments on this similar set imply that lids may not fit but customer service is good. I've never had that problem with any of mine and only one (with the blue/green glass) has ever mysteriously chipped, so far no explosions.

I am temped to get this set since it's a good deal, but I have quite a Pyrex collection already including many of these pieces but with the older style (smaller) handles.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Today on home.woot.com!

Oh well, I have no need for these, but I do remember those fake 'snopes' busted chain letters that went around about these. They apparently were so damaging that Pyrex has a 'The Truth about Pyrex' section up on The Pyrex Website which, like snopes, debunks the myths.

So, in a nutshell, don't be afraid of Pyrex bakeware exploding.

theguruguys

Also to note for those who may miss it in the description, these are MADE IN THE USA!

sysop073

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sysop073
theguruguys wrote:Pyrex has a 'The Truth about Pyrex' section up on The Pyrex Website which, like snopes, debunks the myths.

So, in a nutshell, don't be afraid of Pyrex bakeware exploding.

Uh. I'm pretty sure the part about them exploding isn't a myth; snopes even has it in the "TRUE" section. It just gets exaggerated a lot, but the Amazon reviews and the Woot comments for the dozen times these have been up recently all seem to indicate it's a real problem

theguruguys

sysop073 wrote:Uh. I'm pretty sure the part about them exploding isn't a myth; snopes even has it in the "TRUE" section. It just gets exaggerated a lot, but the Amazon reviews and the Woot comments for the dozen times these have been up recently all seem to indicate it's a real problem

Perhaps, but more likely its a case of the users not following the manufacturer guidelines as Consumer Reports and other agencies who have tested them have pointed out. If the amount of cases were so massive as some think, class action lawsuits, government interaction, etc, would be all over it, especially after they have been investigated so many times.

Grimm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Grimm
epsy06 wrote:I believe all US sold Pyrex is their new glass, which is the "explode-randomly-Pyrex."

The old Pyrex was borosilicate glass. It handles thermal shock much better than the newer soda lime glass. People were used to treating it like they used to so when they did, it shattered. The change happened sometime in the 80's.

jacobalfredo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jacobalfredo

I'm pretty sure BetteRocker is the most awesomely appropriate first sucker name for any given item I've ever seen.

a24kgoldphoto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a24kgoldphoto

THE new and lousy Pyrex ! No Thanks !! Unfortunately Dow Corning changed the formulation then sold the brand name they saw fit to continue with the change in the Glass formulation. Subsequently there have been myriad cases of this stuff exploding/shattering some times explosively in large shards... see articles listed below...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2012/09/13/pyrex-glass-isnt-as-shatterproof-as-it-once-was-report-finds/#.UQJBwWfNnb0

prncplanet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages prncplanet

All Pyrex is made in the USA. Way to go Pyrex!

chillzatl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chillzatl

There's a lot of FUD on this already. Tempered soda-lime glass, what they currently use for "pyrex", has a high thermal rating. It can withstand extremely high heat. What you are not advised to do is subject it to extreme temperature changes such as taking it out of the oven and dunking it in cold water, taking an empty dish out of the oven and pouring cold liquid into it, etc. Under normal use, pyrex is pyrex.

photobobk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages photobobk

Wow! Nice stuff at a nice price, and I love Pyrex. But, I just don't have enough room to store all this great storage.

Sigh...

Nileo2005

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nileo2005

We go through this whole "which glass is it? I want the old glass" routine every time it's on woot. It's always going to be the new stuff if it's being sold here, and it still rocks regardless. Don't be stupid with your bakeware and it'll last.

That being said, I came here to warn you about the lid on the handled pans. The design they used to leave the handles on the pants exposed makes for a really crappy seal. Imagine a fitted dustcover more so than a lid. Not going to hold a while lot in during high G transit. Just a heads up.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001
prncplanet wrote:All Pyrex is made in the USA. Way to go Pyrex!

Apparently made in PA, which is not a right to work State. I'd buy from China ((first))

mbnva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbnva

Explosions?!

Are freaking kidding me?

What Loco in the Coco in marketing and the gl ass Pyrex company when it instantly goes KABOOM! doesn't go back to their old glass recipe?

Even 1 KABOOM out of 20 it's frighteningly stupid on their part not to do something about..

Like for me, I am I'm market for 2 sets off such stuff, but KABOOM!? ( By the Way, The KABOON spelled with @Swype on the mobile phone spells Jason..

Go figure. Do they go KABOOM randomly?

kickfroggy wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Easy-17-Piece-Glass-Bakeware/dp/B0089VI4IC

Some comments on this similar set imply that lids may not fit but customer service is good. I've never had that problem with any of mine and only one (with the blue/green glass) has ever mysteriously chipped, so far no explosions.

I am temped to get this set since it's a good deal, but I have quite a Pyrex collection already including many of these pieces but with the older style (smaller) handles.

tyerian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tyerian

It's got a PIE plate!

In for 3.

Erik the Pie Man

AUNTIELOLLIE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AUNTIELOLLIE
casey00001 wrote:Apparently made in PA, which is not a right to work State. I'd buy from China ((first))

really? China? Buy American and American's work

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001
AUNTIELOLLIE wrote:really? China? Buy American and American's work

Yep buy non-union, made in America in a right to work State or it doesn't matter.

Jacksprat64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jacksprat64
insurgent wrote:Is this good Pyrex? Or explode-randomly-Pyrex??

I don't want the latter.

My granddaughter just had one explode, a 9 X 13 with a Chicken casserole, lucy the oven was closed or she might have been hurt.

jxwhee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jxwhee

"Pyrex bake pans, watch birds break-dance. I measured it perfect, the product’s in great hands." - Pusha T

Duukdkarn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Duukdkarn

The only problem here is the lack of common sense on people who have had exploding glassware. Every single documented cased of "exploding" glassware is due to extreme changes in temperature. (Take it out of the oven and set it on a wet counter.) If you follow the rules clearly printed on the Pyrex site you will never experience the issue. But if you know anything about glass, this is the same for ALL glass. Dont put it through extreme temperature shifts. I have had Pyrex since 1997 and never had a single dish "explode".

sysop073 wrote:Uh. I'm pretty sure the part about them exploding isn't a myth; snopes even has it in the "TRUE" section. It just gets exaggerated a lot, but the Amazon reviews and the Woot comments for the dozen times these have been up recently all seem to indicate it's a real problem

Lineback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lineback

Is it easy to store. I live in NYC and kitchen storage space is at a minimum. I have a set of pyrex round bowls that stack together, just wondering if anyone knows if the pans do that, or if I need 8 million shelves like they have in those big suburban kitchens I keep seeing on TV.

Knappsplus3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Knappsplus3
sellbuyer92 wrote:Here's something as similiar as I could find on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-20-Piece-Bake-Store-Set/dp/B006NZPF56

I found this one on Amazon - 19 pc $47 - http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Easy-19-Piece-Glass-Bakeware/dp/B004Q2AW6A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_7 Seems the prices are all over as does the pieces for the sets. The one Woot is offering is more for someone who just moved out on their own or for a wedding present. Or redoing all of their kitchen bake ware. Most of us have pie plates, measuring cups and mixing bowls. This looks to be a nice set though.Not what I am looking for as I don't need a 3rd of it. I love the red covers.

Knappsplus3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Knappsplus3
Duukdkarn wrote:The only problem here is the lack of common sense on people who have had exploding glassware. Every single documented cased of "exploding" glassware is due to extreme changes in temperature. (Take it out of the oven and set it on a wet counter.) If you follow the rules clearly printed on the Pyrex site you will never experience the issue. But if you know anything about glass, this is the same for ALL glass. Dont put it through extreme temperature shifts. I have had Pyrex since 1997 and never had a single dish "explode".

I think there is a problem with people taking it out of the frig and putting it into a hot oven. My husband tried doing that the other day. I caught him, I put it into another dish that wasn't cold. I HAVE put a cold dish from frig into oven only when I have turned the oven on after placing the cold dish in so it can warm up with the oven. I have never cracked a dish or explode a dish yet. :-)

mikem53

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikem53

The new Pyrex glass using soda lime glass is not as shock proof as the older original formula that was changed when Pyrex was bought out. Pyrex made in Europe still uses the old original glass formula and they don't have the issues that the newer glass has.. the new glass process is cheaper to make... and obviously less robust and reliable...
With proper handling and care, the new glass should be fine... but the older formula is more care free and durable... let's all thank the accountants and the bottom line for a lesser product and a money first attitude..

chillzatl wrote:There's a lot of FUD on this already. Tempered soda-lime glass, what they currently use for "pyrex", has a high thermal rating. It can withstand extremely high heat. What you are not advised to do is subject it to extreme temperature changes such as taking it out of the oven and dunking it in cold water, taking an empty dish out of the oven and pouring cold liquid into it, etc. Under normal use, pyrex is pyrex.

LTU99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTU99
Jacksprat64 wrote:My granddaughter just had one explode, a 9 X 13 with a Chicken casserole, lucy the oven was closed or she might have been hurt.

Your granddaughter made the casserole the night before (smart), and moved it directly from the fridge to the oven (not smart), and it exploded. Tell her not to do that, and her things won't blow up anymore!

morgenthaler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgenthaler

I count 27, not 28

stebrad

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stebrad

I recently ordered the smaller Pyrex 12pc Storage Set from woot.

One piece arrived broken, because inside the retail box pyrex hadn't packed them particularly well, though woot had as usual wrapped the box in plenty of plastic pillows.

Pyrex replaced it quickly and easily calling the warranty number, with about 15 minutes of hold time and a 5 minute call.

I had a second piece break (not the replacement one) at the base of the bevel from the force of the lid. I'm guessing it's more a shipping problem than a manufacturing problem because I have 5 times that much Pyrex I've had for about 2 years that's never given me any problem.

All in all, I'd still say it was a good deal.

chillzatl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chillzatl
mikem53 wrote:The new Pyrex glass using soda lime glass is not as shock proof as the older original formula that was changed when Pyrex was bought out. Pyrex made in Europe still uses the old original glass formula and they don't have the issues that the newer glass has.. the new glass process is cheaper to make... and obviously less robust and reliable...
With proper handling and care, the new glass should be fine... but the older formula is more care free and durable... let's all thank the accountants and the bottom line for a lesser product and a money first attitude..

Actually the tempered soda-lime glass is more impact shock resistant then the older borosilicate glass, but it's not as temp shock resistant. The reality is that most people using pyrex these days are using the modern soda-lime variant. Literally millions of these things out there and there are only a small number of reported "exploding" examples. It's not the problem that some make it out to be.

Also, there aren't many companies out there making borosilicate glass bakeware. MOst everything you see on the market (search amazon), pyrex or not, is tempered soda-lime glass. You can find a few companies in europe that still make it, but it's mostly lab-use stuff. That should tell you that as a whole, the industry doesn't see this as a huge step down for typical kitchen use. I was looking for a set of pyrex style measuring cups specifically to handle the temp changes and I had to order them from a euro compnay and even with that, they still tell you to use caution when subjecting it to rapid temp changes.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

I think between wooting the Pyrex 1093838 Easy Grab 19pc Bake Set and the Pyrex 1110141 18-Piece Storage Set Blue Lids (which actually came with multi-colored lids. Good thing I'm not picky about that sort of thing), I'm pretty sure I've already got all the pieces in this set, except the measuring cups, which I'd purchased a few years back.

Castille360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Castille360

Bottom line is (if you're older,) - It's not your mother's pyrex. I grew up with Pyrex (whose manufacture was probably in the 60s, anecdotally,) and learned to abuse it - sure, go from freezer to oven, or oven to sink, no problem. The old stuff apparently did that. But these days, not so much. I grabbed one baking dish in the oven with a slightly damp dish towel and KABOOM! But the directions will clearly tell you to do no such thing. I still own and like glass bakeware. But unlike my childhood memories, you need to treat it like it's glass, lol. If you're younger, no doubt it's always been that way.

socalwoman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages socalwoman

The only issue I have with these is the lids don't seal very well.

Seize the Carp!

mystixa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mystixa
prncplanet wrote:All Pyrex is made in the USA. Way to go Pyrex!

To be more precise.. the glass is made in the USA the lids are made in China.