jeffflanagan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffflanagan
chado006 wrote:Yes, it does have 2D to 3D conversion but I could never get it to work right. It pretty much just made it so you had double vision.

2D-3D conversion is a ridiculous hoax. Of course you never got it "working." There's nothing of value there.

dlcarst77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dlcarst77

I just bought a Vizio 39 inch LED for $379 at Sam's Club.

Woots: 24
Hours wasted on Woot: countless
Regrets: 0

sinean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sinean

I have a 32, 42 and 47inch vizio's. They are all excellent, 3d on all of them. You can wear the passive eyewear over your glasses. The apps all work. I use the netflix app alot. Not bad for a monitor. Make sure the tv is set to game mode in the menu before doing any FPS gaming. The onscreen menu's could be a tad faster. Picture is top notch, no issues on any of them.

rhodelle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rhodelle
darex wrote:I have the same set, and I agree it's quite excellent in every way. However, I've had 2 or 3 instances of glitches that have me concerned: Ever happen that the TV won't turn off, such that you have to unplug it?

I've read of several people with power-supply issues/bugs.

I've only had mine since September, and I want to believe it will last me for years, but now I'm a bit less confident in recommending it as a worthy Samsung 6100-series alternative, like I thought it was.

I haven't had that issue... yet. *Knock on wood* Really, the only thing that's 'wrong' with my unit is that it tends not to remember the setting that keeps the bright white Vizio logo off.

schultzwl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schultzwl

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a tv i ordered. It hasn't even been shipped yet. It has been a week.

schultzwl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schultzwl
schultzwl wrote:

I ordered the 1 A Plethora of RCA HDTVs

msruru

quality posts: 15 Private Messages msruru

So...I can't purchase the extended warranty on a refurb? That sucks.

premitive1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages premitive1
schultzwl wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to get a tv i ordered. It hasn't even been shipped yet. It has been a week.

patience is a virtue

knobber81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knobber81
schultzwl wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to get a tv i ordered. It hasn't even been shipped yet. It has been a week.

Just received my tracking info. It was shipped on Monday from CA and is in transit to Illinois. Woohoo! Hopefully in time for Super Bowl.

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn

My 47" came in Sat. (just in time to get set up for the Super Bowl). There is one dead pixel. Right in the center of the screen. I guess that's why its a refurb. Other than that, mine had an old version of the firmware in which Netflix was broken. The firmware is "pushed" to the device by Vizio, so you just turn on the tv one time and suddenly it informs you that it has been updated. I connected my TV with an ethernet cable (instead of wifi) and it updated the next time I power cycled. That may just be a coincidence. So Netflix works with the new firmware (3.12.1)

Other than the aforementioned items, I am very happy. Just need to get a 3D source to see how that is.

jasontharp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasontharp
jeffflanagan wrote:2D-3D conversion is a ridiculous hoax. Of course you never got it "working." There's nothing of value there.

It's almost as if the 2D/3D converter changes the aspect ratio or something because you can no longer see the whole screen when it's turned on. Total bummer.

I might need an education on the whole 3D thing because this is the 1st 3DTV I've ever purchased.

Anyone ever heard of a 3D ready HDMI cable? If this really exists, is there really any difference?

I have Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 and the game is supposedly 3D compatible, but I have no idea on how to make that work. Just turning on 3D on for the TV just did the same thing with the aspect ratio.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
embhorn wrote:My 47" came in Sat. (just in time to get set up for the Super Bowl). There is one dead pixel. Right in the center of the screen. I guess that's why its a refurb. Other than that, mine had an old version of the firmware in which Netflix was broken. The firmware is "pushed" to the device by Vizio, so you just turn on the tv one time and suddenly it informs you that it has been updated. I connected my TV with an ethernet cable (instead of wifi) and it updated the next time I power cycled. That may just be a coincidence. So Netflix works with the new firmware (3.12.1)

Other than the aforementioned items, I am very happy. Just need to get a 3D source to see how that is.

If the dead pixel continues to disturb you, see if VIZIO will replace your unit.

Good to hear you're happy otherwise!

I'm just hanging out, really.

embhorn

jasontharp wrote:It's almost as if the 2D/3D converter changes the aspect ratio or something because you can no longer see the whole screen when it's turned on. Total bummer.

I might need an education on the whole 3D thing because this is the 1st 3DTV I've ever purchased.

Anyone ever heard of a 3D ready HDMI cable? If this really exists, is there really any difference?

I have Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 and the game is supposedly 3D compatible, but I have no idea on how to make that work. Just turning on 3D on for the TV just did the same thing with the aspect ratio.

I don't think this TV is capable of converting 2d to 3d. If the source is 3d, then you can set the TV to 3d. You can try out 3d using the YouTube app. Search for "3d SBS". Play one of them and before you switch to 3d you'll see two images side by side (hence the SBS). LG has a bunch of 3d demos on YouTube. They are pretty cool to watch.

ThreeT320

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ThreeT320

Got my 47" 3D on Friday Feb 1. Been playing with it since then just to test everything out before I decided to post since this is both my first 3D TV and big screen ever.

So far it looks pretty gorgeous. I was skeptical of Vizios, but I'm pretty pleased with what I got for the price.

The apps seem a little slow, but I feel like I won't be using them much since I don't have a netflix / hulu plus / amazon etc. account.

My only concern is that when the room is really dark and the screen is black I've noticed that the 4 corners are lighter (brighter?) than the rest of the screen. As if you created a circle in the middle of the screen and then enlarged it until the circle touched the sides & top/bottom of the TV. The negative space that is left in the corners is where it appears sortof grey-er.

But again, when I use this TV as a monitor, or play a game, or watch TV it isn't really noticable at all. Only when I change the channel and the screen goes all black for that half second do I see it.

Is this something to keep an eye on, or is it a common drawback to TVs this large? Is it a sign that the pixels are already giving out, and this will progressively get worse? Isit worth trying to get the manufacturer to replace?

thanks Wooters.

P.S. Played Batman Arkham City in 3D and also seemed to do very well in that regard.

embhorn

ThreeT320 wrote:
My only concern is that when the room is really dark and the screen is black I've noticed that the 4 corners are lighter (brighter?) than the rest of the screen. As if you created a circle in the middle of the screen and then enlarged it until the circle touched the sides & top/bottom of the TV. The negative space that is left in the corners is where it appears sortof grey-er.

But again, when I use this TV as a monitor, or play a game, or watch TV it isn't really noticable at all. Only when I change the channel and the screen goes all black for that half second do I see it.

Is this something to keep an eye on, or is it a common drawback to TVs this large? Is it a sign that the pixels are already giving out, and this will progressively get worse? Isit worth trying to get the manufacturer to replace?

This is a property of edge-lit LED TV's. Basically the "backlight" is produced by shining white LED's toward the center. It is brighter at the edges, but as you said, only noticeable when the picture is dark. You can adjust the lighting in the Advanced Picture menu. "Backlight Control" and "Ambient Light Sensor" settings will affect this.

embhorn

One other thing I found was that the "Soap Opera Effect" motion smoothing can be disabled (except for TV input). Go into "Settings" (not "Picture Settings") and change "Game Mode" to "On". This looks SOOO much better to me. I wish it could be set in the TV mode also.

embhorn

jasontharp wrote:

Yes there really is such a thing as a 3D HDMI cable, although it really just means that it is compatible with revision 1.4 of the HDMI specification. So any cable that says "HDMI 1.4" will transmit the 3D data.

Like these:
http://www.woot.com/offers/xtreme-cables-high-speed-hdmi-cable-12

(you're welcome, Woot)

jasontharp

embhorn wrote:I don't think this TV is capable of converting 2d to 3d. If the source is 3d, then you can set the TV to 3d. You can try out 3d using the YouTube app. Search for "3d SBS". Play one of them and before you switch to 3d you'll see two images side by side (hence the SBS). LG has a bunch of 3d demos on YouTube. They are pretty cool to watch.

Ok, that was pretty cool. Thanks for the info on the youtube videos. Now I feel so much better about what I bought because I got to see it actually work. So that also explains why it appears the aspect ratio is changing on non-3D stuff as well. Makes sense.

Thanks again!

jasontharp

embhorn wrote:Yes there really is such a thing as a 3D HDMI cable, although it really just means that it is compatible with revision 1.4 of the HDMI specification. So any cable that says "HDMI 1.4" will transmit the 3D data.

Like these:
http://www.woot.com/offers/xtreme-cables-high-speed-hdmi-cable-12

(you're welcome, Woot)

Too bad these are sold out or I would've bought a few of them.

john174

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john174
spk1321 wrote:Anyone know if the 47" has 2D to 3D conversion? Not having it would be a dealbreaker for me on any 3D tv.

Not built in, but works ok when you buy a Blue Ray player with the 2d to 3d conversion in it.

john174

ryanalls1 wrote:Could these practically be used as PC monitors?

Yes they work ok.

john174

jasontharp wrote:Too bad these are sold out or I would've bought a few of them.

HDMI 1.4 cables are all over the net for sale. Buy a higher gauge cable such as a 18 or 24 gauge for longer runs like 12 feet or more.