5%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
TiVo Premiere DVR & Stream Bundle
$299.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Wait a minute. Wooters have nothing to say about a TiVo. Most Wooter LOVE TiVo. WHO STOLE MY WOOTERS!?!??!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

broderya

quality posts: 17 Private Messages broderya

Looks like TiVo sells the XL new for $399 without stream, so pretty good deal.

Will this work with my Apple TV instead?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3535 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

review (plus video) on the DVR from cnet

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-video-recorders-dvrs/tivo-premiere/4505-6474_7-33983129.html

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
ThunderThighs wrote:Wait a minute. Wooters have nothing to say about a TiVo. Most Wooter LOVE TiVo. WHO STOLE MY WOOTERS!?!??!

Woot sold everyone a Roku device?

I had TiVo for years and absolutely loved it. We gave it up when a new cable service came with a free DVR, but it wasn't nearly as awesome as TiVo. I loved the ability to tell TiVo to record "any gymnastics" and have it appear, like magic!, without needing to research when gymnastics was on television. Absolutely loved it.

(I no longer have cable, a DVR, or a TiVo!)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
ThunderThighs wrote:Wait a minute. Wooters have nothing to say about a TiVo. Most Wooter LOVE TiVo. WHO STOLE MY WOOTERS!?!??!

Sunday night miss TT

Here's what a couple of people on twitter had to say about their TIVO Premier:

clarissa ‏@cneiding
I love that TiVo Premier is customized! you can content to your iPad or computer @babesandkids #ImWithTivo

Literary Winner ‏@LiteraryWinner
I love that I can use Netflix & Hulu on the Tivo Premier! @She_Scribes #ImWithTiVo

Scott R Heath KC8EMH ‏@scottrheath
Just #paired my #android with my #tivo #premiere with the #youtube app, it's great using my phone as a #remote to control my #TV - #techtv

Madeline ‏@shala_darkstone
I love the new TiVo Premiere one-click 30-second scan feature so you can speed through parts of a show! @SweetTMakes3 #ImWithTiVo

bryaninphx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bryaninphx

Is the Stream Refurbished on either of the bundles?

[MOD: The Stream is NEW on both bundles.]

digidorm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages digidorm

[MOD: The TiVos wooting today do NOT do Over The Air recording.]

[MOD: The previous comment was added by digidorm.]

I got a smaller TiVo a year ago with lifetime subscription and cancelled my cable completely.

I do like TiVo's suggestions, which other DVR's don't do. When there's room on the DVR (and even my smaller TiVo has lots of room) it will record stuff I MIGHT want to watch and put them in a separate queue... if my records need more space it just quietly deletes some suggestions. Handy for when you've watched everything in your queue and nothing good is on.

Edit: Since I'm off the cable grid, I got a cheap S-Video to RF converter box, and "back-feed" the TiVo to the rest of the house on channel 3 using the cable that was already run. (I lose HiDef but no big deal for kitchen/workout rooms) Combined with a wireless IR repeater, I was able to turn the TiVo into a whole-house system in less than an hour for under $50. (As long as everyone watches the same thing.)

I've been here longer than WootBot.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 67 Private Messages sellbuyer92

TT: I tried finding something good and helpful about this Woot! but all I got was this video.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

riocobra

quality posts: 12 Private Messages riocobra
broderya wrote:Looks like TiVo sells the XL new for $399 without stream, so pretty good deal.

Will this work with my Apple TV instead?

Except that one in new and not refurbished. Not that great of a deal. Especially if you don't use iOS devices. There are still a few of us out there. I know. Crazy, right?

GossipNinja

quality posts: 4 Private Messages GossipNinja

still shocked that tivo is $15 a month for what boils down to an EPG.
And lifetime keeps getting more and more expensive. And since this needs digital cable, you can already get a DVR from your provider for like $4 a month?

While I don't like Boxee as a company, they are on to something by offering a cheaper monthly price. You would think this would be a market ripe for disruption.

scifiak

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scifiak

I really think that the Lifetime Membership was a nice feature that TiVo had come up with a while back, the whole monthly billing thing is just bleh.

bryaninphx

GossipNinja wrote:still shocked that tivo is $15 a month for what boils down to an EPG.
And lifetime keeps getting more and more expensive. And since this needs digital cable, you can already get a DVR from your provider for like $4 a month?

While I don't like Boxee as a company, they are on to something by offering a cheaper monthly price. You would think this would be a market ripe for disruption.

Most Cable MSO DVRs are ~$16-$20/mo

I love my TiVos, Own both The Premiere XL4 and the 2-Tuner Premiere. Would never go back to a Cable DVR. Just purchase Lifetime. Break-even Payoff is about 30-36mos.

culturevulture

quality posts: 0 Private Messages culturevulture

The write-up keeps saying "up to four shows and once," which confuses.

The product description under "Features" reads "record up to 4 shows at once," which clarifies.

So, I'm thinking Woot needs to undertake a quick edit before the crowds get rowdy.

MBorzill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MBorzill

FiOS subscribers should be cautious about this woot. There are significant unresolved issues activating cable cards ever since Fios implemented new encryption standards and copy protection at the behest of HBO & Cinemax. Getting basic unencrypted HD channels is easy, getting *some* premium channels requires a brief phone call, but getting HBO and Cinemax working has proven to be a nightmare for many.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

It's in the description, but be sure to note that these are cable TV only. They won't record over-the-air from an antenna. And you will need a CableCard from your cable provider.

I've had TiVos for years (one of my first Woots was a Series3), and I really love them. Yes, it's probably more expensive than the cableco's DVR, but it's way, way better.

The lifetime subscription is tied to the specific box, but 95% of the failures are due to bad hard drives which can be replaced and does not affect the subscription. I have a lifetime Series2 from 2003 that's had a couple of hard drives, but is still working.

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox

Hmmm...here's the Premiere 4/Stream bundle for $199.98 at Best Buy. LINK Any thoughts?

[MOD: See posts below. Appears to be Premier, not Premier 4.]
You're probably right. Okay. Carry on.

ThunderThighs

Staff

bryaninphx wrote:Is the Stream Refurbished on either of the bundles?

The Stream is NEW on both bundles. In the Features:

• Condition: New

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

riocobra

quality posts: 12 Private Messages riocobra

Apparently, TiVo also has a promo code to knock $50 off the current models until Feb. 5 as well. I love my Series 3 and would like to upgrade. But the Stream is useless to me and requires a wired ethernet to interact with the Premiere.

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox
ThunderThighs wrote:The Stream is NEW on both bundles. In the Features:

• Condition: New

Only the Premiere 4 is new, and only the Premiere 4XL is refurbished. The order process bears that out.

[MOD: The Sream is NEW. We just can't show two different conditions for one order.]

ThunderThighs

Staff

sellbuyer92 wrote:TT: I tried finding something good and helpful about this Woot! but all I got was this video.

FORUM MODERATOR

shadowplay1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadowplay1
toonvox wrote:Hmmm...here's the Premiere 4/Stream bundle for $199.98 at Best Buy. LINK Any thoughts?

It looks to just be the Premiere, not the Premiere 4 (can record only 2 programs at once, not 4)...

ThunderThighs

Staff

culturevulture wrote:The write-up keeps saying "up to four shows and once," which confuses.

The product description under "Features" reads "record up to 4 shows at once," which clarifies.

So, I'm thinking Woot needs to undertake a quick edit before the crowds get rowdy.

Good catch. I'll pass it on to the writers for fixin' later this morning.

You get the proof-reader badge of the day! It doesn't exist and has no monetary value but I'm sure you'll still treasure it.

FORUM MODERATOR

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
riocobra wrote:Not that great of a deal. Especially if you don't use iOS devices. There are still a few of us out there. I know. Crazy, right?

Agreed. I like TiVo (and there are certain times when having more than two tuners would be nice) but I don't do iOS so would have no use for the Stream. I guess I can understand them not going to the extra effort of supporting Blackberry or Windows RT/Windows Phone, but not even supporting Android? Pitiful.

ThunderThighs

Staff

toonvox wrote:Only the Premiere 4 is new, and only the Premiere 4XL is refurbished. The order process bears that out.

It's new. We just can't show two different conditions for one order. The features state that the Stream is NEW.

FORUM MODERATOR

kiwijaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kiwijaws
shadowplay1 wrote:It looks to just be the Premiere, not the Premiere 4 (can record only 2 programs at once, not 4)...

True but the premiere can accept OTA signals whereas the 4 cannot

bryaninphx

Getting a 4-Tuner TiVo Premiere 4 or XL4 is a step toward TiVos Whole Home Solution, when TiVo will release their TiVo Mini set-top box later this year.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/tivo-mini-extender-hands-on/

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 67 Private Messages sellbuyer92
ThunderThighs wrote:

And now something easier on the eyes and brains...sorry bout that...

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

bolger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bolger
digidorm wrote:I got a smaller TiVo a year ago with lifetime subscription and cancelled my cable completely. I can record full HD from the major networks "out of thin air", and for $8/month everything else I want (Daily Show, etc) is on Hulu Plus... usually by noon the next day. If I ever turn cable back on, I just pay a buck or two for a CableCard instead of DVR lease fees.

I do like TiVo's suggestions also, which other DVR's don't do. When there's room on the DVR (and even my smaller TiVo has lots of room) it will record stuff I MIGHT want to watch and put them in a separate queue... if my records need more space it just quietly deletes some suggestions. Handy for when you've watched everything in your queue and nothing good is on.

Edit: Since I'm off the cable grid, I got a cheap S-Video to RF converter box, and "back-feed" the TiVo to the rest of the house on channel 3 using the cable that was already run. (I lose HiDef but no big deal for kitchen/workout rooms) Combined with a wireless IR repeater, I was able to turn the TiVo into a whole-house system in less than an hour for under $50. (As long as everyone watches the same thing.)

RE: recording off-the-air, these particular TiVo models lack a tuner for broadcast TV. They WILL NOT receive over-the-air broadcasts, only cable. The two-tuner Premiere and Premiere XL are the only models that will receive broadcast TV.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
scifiak wrote:

I'm sure this has been said but this is the first time i've noticed your signature.
That's not Waldo! It's woot's very own Jason Toon!

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
sellbuyer92 wrote:And now something easier on the eyes and brains...

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
bryaninphx wrote:Most Cable MSO DVRs are ~$16-$20/mo

I love my TiVos, Own both The Premiere XL4 and the 2-Tuner Premiere. Would never go back to a Cable DVR. Just purchase Lifetime. Break-even Payoff is about 30-36mos.

from my fios tv, HD box is $10, HD DVR is $16 and cable card is $6. So getting a cable card with HD capability would be $16, same as the DVR, plus who knows if it will work.

Can I just buy this box and not pay for a EPG, instead I would go and program the channel and time to perform OTA or cable recordings?

bryaninphx

MBorzill wrote:FiOS subscribers should be cautious about this woot. There are significant unresolved issues activating cable cards ever since Fios implemented new encryption standards and copy protection at the behest of HBO & Cinemax. Getting basic unencrypted HD channels is easy, getting *some* premium channels requires a brief phone call, but getting HBO and Cinemax working has proven to be a nightmare for many.

Verizon FIOS: phone number for CableCard automated pairing
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=500060

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Been enjoying my XL4 from last year (thanks Woot!) and bought the Stream when it came out. That thing is awesome (well, if you have an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, anyway)
Now you can get a refurb XL4 *plus* the $100 Stream for what I paid for the XL4, that's a pretty cool deal.
One word of warning: stay away from Tivo's expensive wireless network adapter, it's a total POS. You're much better off getting a wireless network extender (if you own an Apple router, the Airport Express works brilliantly)

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

We loved TiVo, BUT we gave up all forms of mainstream TV programming about 8 months ago - no cable, no rabbit ears, no satellite....soooooo I do miss it a little, but I get a LOT more done. ;)

We didn't sell it though, in case we want to go back. LOL It's the best DVR hands down.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

DigMe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages DigMe

I was having a lot of issues with my Tivo Premier. Lots of lagging and freezing when I would go to the menus or perform other functions and I would have to reboot it, which takes forever. Finally I noticed that my friend's menus looked different than mine and he wasn't having my issues. SO I went home and looked through the options and changed my menus to SD menus from HD menus. Since then I have had any problems aside from one time when it wouldn't respond on a menu. Just something to keep in mind. A lot of other people on the internet seem to have freezing issues and whatnot with the HD menus.

brad

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt
GossipNinja wrote:still shocked that tivo is $15 a month for what boils down to an EPG.

Where I live, Verizon charges over $20 per month for the DVR. I WISH it was $4!

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I'm in the same boat as many of the other comments here. I was an early adopter of ReplayTV, I still own my RTV5040, but its of little use now that all the major providers basically give away advanced HD DVR's with their service. I was surprised that Tivo didn't jump on board with one of the main providers to license their technology, it may spell their doom down the road.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

OK, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You Pay for a Tivo so you can Pay Tivo to record Pay Television?

A wise man once said... Yo Dawg! I heard you like to Pay