sinizterminded

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sinizterminded

For the love of WiFi why didn't I check woot today. Stupid me I was gonna get just the receiver last time around but everything include for $500, hate myself right now

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow
sinizterminded wrote:For the love of WiFi why didn't I check woot today. Stupid me I was gonna get just the receiver last time around but everything include for $500, hate myself right now

Besides stretch and scratch my balls, checking Woot is one of the first things I do when I wake up in the morning.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
OldMatador wrote:I disagree with using the speaker wire that comes with the package. It's thin and crap. Sure, it's acceptable, but there is a difference quality wise with a thicker speaker wire compared to a thin one, especially at long distances. For the speaker wire they bundle, you might as well have an 8x8 room.

I'm not saying "Buy Monster Cables!" I'm saying get the proper thickness of speaker wire based on your setup. The articles you posted are great.

My rule of thumb: Medium sized room? 16 gauge. Large room? 14 gauge. Tiny room, sure, use what comes in the package, but I personally think you're better off customizing your cables for the room you're in. Brand name doesn't matter, just the thickness.

Yes, this is exactly what I said and what I linked to. In fact, the chart I linked to was even more specific than 'large room', 'small room' etc.

The speaker wire it comes with may very well work in some situations, especially for the front and center channels speakers. In addition, many will not need near the length of wire provided and those on a budget can easily halve the distances (cut the wires) then double up the wire to make a thicker gauge circuit.

Like someone else also said here, hardware stores sell lamp cable by the foot for a decent price, and monoprice.com also has very good pricing.

segoette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages segoette

dammit - had my credit card out and was going to order one. Sold out while I was typing...

sinizterminded

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sinizterminded
sniffersrow wrote:Besides stretch and scratch my balls, checking Woot is one of the first things I do when I wake up in the morning.

I hear ya. But was just happy to have a week day to sleep in before running errands. Missed outing a great deal but still got my $$$ ready for next time hopefully

Solarsystemfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solarsystemfamily

If anyone bought this and no longer wants it... please email me, I didnt have power yesterday and missed out!
[mod: email removed]

mouphbreaver

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mouphbreaver

Wow. After watching that video I realized I have absolutely no clue how I am going to set this thing up. I can't wait.

maestskint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maestskint
Ringo4422 wrote:Just use plain 16 gauge zip cord (lamp cord) from Home Depot. Buy it by the foot.

Try to get all-copper or OFC - a lot of speaker and power cords are CCA (copper-coated aluminum): cheaper, lighter, but not as effective (more resistance)

maestskint

wmubronco wrote:Maybe this was already answered, but no multichannel output (from video link)?

So that means I can't be watching tv in living room, and playing music from the receiver in another room?

If this is the case, what would a supplemental receiver be with this feature?

The TX-NR609 has "optional" 2-zone capability. You just have to settle for 5.1 in the "viewing room", no 7.1 surround or Dolby PL IIz. You can use the "rear speaker" outs, or the Zone 2 line outs. There are some restrictions on what material can be sent to Zone 2: as far as I remember, video sources are excluded, as are some digital sources - check the manual. You would, for example, be able to play FM radio in Zone 2 while watching a 5.1 movie in Zone 1.

I will be using the 2-Zone option as the size of my living room is not conducive to a seven-speaker setup; plus, it was a selling point to my wife!

maestskint

mikedburke wrote:There is no 7.2 standard. there is a left and right channel though for the subwoofer that this does support only it comes with one actual subwoofer so you would need to buy a second.

In this case, I believe the .2 is a little misleading. The receiver has 2 subwoofer outputs, but they are the exact same signal. So, if you bought a matching sub, you could get "more bass" by placing them across the front, or one in back, but the lower frequencies won't be "localized" between the two.

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
segoette wrote:dammit - had my credit card out and was going to order one. Sold out while I was typing...

Well, SILLY, live and learn, you DID go ahead and KEY IN YOUR CC DIDNT YOU?? A true WOOTER would not have to KEY IN his cc# lol

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow

FYI: Those of you that are expecting a delivery, be prepared to see a 3/4 sized refrigerator box sitting on your front step. First glance, very well packaged

thebonehead

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thebonehead
sniffersrow wrote:FYI: Those of you that are expecting a delivery, be prepared to see a 3/4 sized refrigerator box sitting on your front step. First glance, very well packaged

Yes, just received my order, as tall as a dorm refrigerator and bigger around! Items inside very nicely protected!

Now to let the components thaw.

brrrr...

tatsumaki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tatsumaki
sniffersrow wrote:We won't know until they start appearing in the wild. From Onkyo:

Sudden Shut down and or Static Noise from speaker
Dear Valued Customers,

A limited number of ONKYO models manufactured during the months of November 2011, December 2011 and January 2012 may exhibit one of or both of the following defects:

• When powering on the unit, the unit will turn on then turn off automatically
• Static Noise emitted from speakers at low volume level
(The above mentioned defect(s) are not safety related)

Affected Models: TX-8255, TX-8050, HT-RC360, TX-SR309, TX-NR609, TX-NR709, TX-NR809, TX-NR1009, TX-NR5009, HT-S3400 (HT-R390), HT-S7409 (TX-NR609), HT-S8409 (TX-NR609)

Please follow these steps to see if you receiver needs this update

http://www.onkyousa.com/001a_modelreturn_entertype.cfm

(ENTER S/N @ URL ABOVE)

New units, so probably not affected. With a 2 year warranty, I'm not sweating

The unit I received from Woot was manufactured in 1/2012. However, I tried my serial number at the above link, and it said I didn't need an update.

ramconsultant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ramconsultant

Got Mine Opened the Box, Looks everything packed nicely, i Could not find 8 Screws for the Front speaker.. Don't know what else is missing ..
And Also Speaker does not have Banana plug receptacle.. Spend an hour to put the banana plugs and 14 gauge wire which I bought separate ..

wizkid0109

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wizkid0109

Woot, nice job that was fast shipping. Got mine in two days. System rocks and I only have 3.1 running, need to finish wiring later.

swissmr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages swissmr

For everyone who purchased...how does everyone like this thing?
If it comes up again i might purchase.