radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
halleyscomet wrote:It doesn't, unless you WANT something that will freeze and crash multiple times a day.

The Samsung line is an embarrassment to Android devices everywhere. It's the Windows 95 of tablets, popular, unstable and painful to use. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it is a crash and freeze prone piece of garbage. I'm stuck with it until I save enough to replace it with something that doesn't need three or four reboots a day. Their customer support is useless. If you get a Samsung device (As gift gift, because it would be mind numbingly stupid to BUY some of their kit) wipe it clean and install Cyanogen to get at least SOME stability out of the lump of garbage. That voids the warranty, but given how useless their tech support is, the warranty isn't worth anything anyway.

Hmmmm... I have a Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch) and it works flawlessly. Perhaps you got a lemon. Did you "root" it or do anything to change the OS or was it a stock unit? Is there any chance that an app you put on is causing a problem?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

danbfas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danbfas
misterfoolish wrote:They have a proprietary Samsung remote app, if you have a samsung TV or blu-ray player. I haven't tried this because I don't have a samsung TV, but I tried it with a Toshiba and got some limited functionality (like on/off and I think volume control). It wasn't worth the trouble, and I couldn't find another app that worked better.

I have this tablet, and thinks it's great. Just downloaded Jellybean direct from Samsung, and the transitions now are smooth as silk. Yes, there is a remote feature that works with both my Samsung TV and my 46 inch Sony. Don't understand the whole issue with resolution...images look just
fine to me. If we were talking a big screen TV, I would see the point, it's a ten inch screen. Just don't see the big difference.

danbfas

ILGal wrote:I own this tablet. Before I had this, I had an iPad (1st Gen) and the Galaxy Tab.

This Galaxy Note 10.1 is far superior to either for business use.

Why? The stylus. I have virtually eliminated legal pads from my workflow. I can keep all my work notes in a central, digital location. I can easily import and export them to and from Dropbox. I can import PDF files and mark them up (outstanding feature for a student). I can run multiple screens at once (limited as it; much improved once the Jelly Bean update - free - is installed). I can handwrite-to-text emails and calendar entries. This syncs seamlessly with my 3 Gmail accounts and 3 Gmail calendars (color-coding the differences in a central calendar).

Unless you are a complete media-phile, don't let yourself be dissuaded by the "poor" resolution of "only" 1280x800. 720 is HD, folks. I have ripped movies and loaded up an SD card and had hours of entertainment for plane and road trips. Easy to swap out to another SD card if you want (try that on an iPad). This device has front-facing speakers so the sound quality is much better than other devices with back-facing speakers. Back camera is OK - 5 MP. Super simple to take screen shots, mark them up, and save or share them. Ditto with maps. You can easily make clips from web pages or anything else you can display and keep them.

This is a FANTASTIC device. I paid $550 for my 32 GB model in August and do not regret it for a second. Sold my other tablets because they felt almost useless after I got this.

Agree completely. Couldn't have summed it up any better. Paid $428 through ABT in November for 16 GB, but SD expansion allows for unlimited storage.

danbfas

halleyscomet wrote:Samsung kit is so unstable, if I got this as a GIFT I'd sell it so I could buy something more stable. It is NOT worth buying at this or any other price point. You WILL regret owing Samsung hardware.

A MAJOR problem is their proprietary launcher, which crashes on me multiple times a day. Most the long term fixes involved rooting the phone or erasing the Samsung Android fork and replacing it with Cyanogen. That however voids the warranty.

That's right, the only way to make Samsung hardware usable is to void the warranty.

Used mine on a daily basis since Christmas, and it has never crashed.

sohmc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sohmc
ILGal wrote:Why? The stylus. I have virtually eliminated legal pads from my workflow. I can keep all my work notes in a central, digital location. I can easily import and export them to and from Dropbox. I can import PDF files and mark them up (outstanding feature for a student). I can run multiple screens at once (limited as it; much improved once the Jelly Bean update - free - is installed). I can handwrite-to-text emails and calendar entries. This syncs seamlessly with my 3 Gmail accounts and 3 Gmail calendars (color-coding the differences in a central calendar).

Unless you are a complete media-phile, don't let yourself be dissuaded by the "poor" resolution of "only" 1280x800. 720 is HD, folks. I have ripped movies and loaded up an SD card and had hours of entertainment for plane and road trips. Easy to swap out to another SD card if you want (try that on an iPad). This device has front-facing speakers so the sound quality is much better than other devices with back-facing speakers. Back camera is OK - 5 MP. Super simple to take screen shots, mark them up, and save or share them. Ditto with maps. You can easily make clips from web pages or anything else you can display and keep them.

This is a FANTASTIC device. I paid $550 for my 32 GB model in August and do not regret it for a second. Sold my other tablets because they felt almost useless after I got this.

Thanks for this very simple review and the youtube videos. I've been looking for a way to consolidate all the notebooks I have. This looks like a great solution.

di410733

quality posts: 0 Private Messages di410733
misterfoolish wrote:They have a proprietary Samsung remote app, if you have a samsung TV or blu-ray player. I haven't tried this because I don't have a samsung TV, but I tried it with a Toshiba and got some limited functionality (like on/off and I think volume control). It wasn't worth the trouble, and I couldn't find another app that worked better.

I'm only using mine as a universal remote anymore - and there's a good app called Touchsquid (very programmable, great support) available.

I was so disappointed with this thing because I thought the stylus would let me interact with it fully (like send emails & all) - but sadly, the stylus only works in the Note app, and what it captures is images, not text - not very useful for email (people don't want to receive an image file to see a couple of lines of text).

bmfap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmfap

It's funny, people are either passionately for or passionately against this tablet for some reason. Either it works for you and meets a real need, or you think it is stupid and junk because you don't need what it does.

For the record, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this tablet. I have access to ipads through my work that I could have for free. I tried them out, but they just didn't make sense for me. Not enough productivity help, and most things seemed a bit gimmicky. Yes, it's nice to email and do my calendar on, but really to carry a larger device just for those things I didn't see the point.

The note, however, let's me do a lot more productivity stuff that I need to do on a daily basis. Handwriting notes during a meeting is crucial. I do a lot of one on one meetings, and writing with a pen is a lot more natural than typing on a tablet screen. That alone makes it worth it for me (since I can never find where I wrote my notes in a stack of a dozen legal pads.) Marking up pdf or office files for revision is also a lot more natural with a pen.

But then add in the multitasking, and it is even better. Running apps side by side is a huge plus.

It was good when I bought it with 4.0, but with the recent update to 4.1 it is even better. Multitasking is better and allows you to use more apps than you could when I first bought it. Another feature that I originally wished it had was the ability to handwrite a note and attach it to an event on my calendar. Now with 4.1 I can do it. So I take notes during a meeting, and then I plan when I'm going to follow up on my calendar, and I can attach the notes I took directly to that appointment. For me and what I do, it's a beautiful thing.

Yes, the screen resolution is lower than the ipad. I have yet to hear a compelling argument why a 10" screen needs to be higher than 720p. I watch videos on it all the time. It's fine. It's a tablet, not the multimedia center of my home. It doesn't do surround sound either, but who cares? (just a note though, the speakers do actually FACE you, so you can hear them without cupping your hand around the back of the tablet. What a concept!)

Another great use - splashtop whiteboard app. I use the note to remote control my desktop. And with the whiteboard app, I can write on the screen for presentations, highlight and underline, and the pen is precise enough to actually make all that useful. The pens for the ipad are clumsy and clunky and lack the precision to make that actually valuable.

A lot of people want to write this thing off (with their clumsy aftermarket ipad stylus, of course) as useless based on the specs - but those of us who use it on a daily basis tend to love it. It just depends if it meets the particular needs of what you want from a tablet. For me, it is absolutely this over anything apple has made yet.

bodycount187

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bodycount187
rocknrollohio wrote:What phone have you seen with a 1080p screen? have you ever held a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and use it? just wondering were you get your information from so I can read it too.
Thanks

The Droid DNA is the first one that comes to mind with a 1080P Screen resolution! I believe there are others.

sohmc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sohmc

This might not be the right forum but I seem to recall woot offering squaretrade warranties. Is this no longer the case?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

For those who laud the included Photshop app, how do you get the stupid thing to start with a blank drawing? I was test driving this unit and could not for the life of me get around "import picture, take a picture" as the only options for a new project.

That all said, I'm waiting to see what the 8" Galaxy Note brings.

move along

corvettejoe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages corvettejoe
rooobbbbb wrote:Terrible screen resolution these days. In an age of 1080p phones I can't see myself considering a 1280x800 screen again. People complain vehemently about the ipad minis screen and this one is even lower resolution than that. Love the stylus though. Shame...

Incorrect.
1080p is actually pretty low res itself and with everyone calling it "HD" really confuses the heck out of the non tech crowd.

Compare that to a REAL monitor at 1920x1200. 1080 looks all bloated compared to 1200.

That said, 1280x800 on small handheld screens is REALLY nice.
Also, the ipad mini screen is LOWER than this tablet. The mini is only 1024x768 making the 1200x800 tablets quite a bit more crisp looking.

dallimar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dallimar
halleyscomet wrote:It doesn't, unless you WANT something that will freeze and crash multiple times a day.

The Samsung line is an embarrassment to Android devices everywhere. It's the Windows 95 of tablets, popular, unstable and painful to use. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it is a crash and freeze prone piece of garbage. I'm stuck with it until I save enough to replace it with something that doesn't need three or four reboots a day. Their customer support is useless. If you get a Samsung device (As gift gift, because it would be mind numbingly stupid to BUY some of their kit) wipe it clean and install Cyanogen to get at least SOME stability out of the lump of garbage. That voids the warranty, but given how useless their tech support is, the warranty isn't worth anything anyway.

Either you got a bad phone or you're doing something wrong (rooted or installing bad apps)

I've had 3 Samsung phones, currently using the Galaxy SII. The only issue I have had with it involves crappy apps. Once I removed the offending apps, it worked fine.

All of the Samsung products I've ever gotten have worked great (until meeting external influences, such as a ball thrown by my son :P)

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

Am I to assume a Galaxy Note allows you to draw and a Galaxy Tab does not? I tried one of these at a Best Buy (I think it was a Galaxy Tab since there was no stylus) and it seemed like a cool device. The screen resolution looked fine to me.

Is there a "Tablet for Dummies" site available because I am confused by what all of these different models do.

spacewill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacewill
alphaketo wrote:Seriously, bought it only a week...so pissed

Woot giveth and Woot maketh ye have buyer's remorse

Same here. Waited forever and then just said screw it and bought it last week at Best Buy. I love it and am glad I own it, but to get it for $100 less would have been nice. For those who don't own it and just read the specs and complain about the screen. It's fine. The tablet is really good and the stylus is unmatched. If you want to only watch movies or play angry birds then sure, buy the IPAD with the awesome screen. If you want to have a tablet that takes amazing notes and works great for a business tablet then get this. Each person has a need, and each tablet satsifies them differently. There is no right or wrong tablet for people, just which one you prefer. It is tiring hearing people complain about a tablet they don't even owh though..

j5

New vs. Refurb.
Feel better?

move along

JinOh

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JinOh

I have this tablet, the sony S, acer iconia a500, and the nexus 7 tablets. All are great and never had a crashing issue with any of them. Not sure what that haleycomet guy is using? Android crashing and lock ups are a thing from froyo 2.x. Since honeycomb, most tablets have become very stable (big brand name tablets). I dont want to rant to long about the tablet. If you are on the fence for the note. Go for it. It is a great tablet and what others may have failed to mention...this tablet uses 2gb of ram memory (almost all of the competition uses 1gb ram). That makes this tab super snappy and rarely every do you see a hint of lag when running apps or browsing the web.

Side note. My oldest brother (diehard mac/apple/ipad/iphone fanatic) played with my note tablet. And I have been trying to convert him to android for 4 years. Finally switched his phone to samsung s3 and sold his ipad for the note 10.1! And he is extremely happy. Even said to me....apple was the best in the beginning, but android really did blow apple away with the current generation of phones and tablets. He still wont give up the mac (it really is better than windows), but android will kill apples products...

?....why else do you think apple sued samsung. Apple didnt need the money, they knew it was because samsung made a similar YET better product! Dont buy the brand. Buy the better product. And at this point in time. The note 10.1 is that product. Unfortunately, by christmas, it may be something new. But today is what we are talking about. Just buy one and be happy :D

morrisdl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morrisdl
crisss1205 wrote:Your right, this is a terrible tablet. An iPad, Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 would be much better than this.

Wife and I have Sammy G3s and totally understand the overuse of plastic. I have been waiting for a 10" tab to come up on woot for a while. This helped me decide the Nexus 10 is a much better deal (at the same price). FYI they are back in stock - ordered. Sorry woot!

ninjapixie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjapixie

Any opinions on the Note vs the Tab?

Been thinking about getting one to replace my laptop, and use it for stuff like web browsing, apps/games, streaming videos, and e-reader. Already have a Samsung phone and TV, so I'd like to stick to Samsung for the integration features. Probably wouldn't use it at work, and I'm not in school, so I don't know how handy the stylus would be.

offline999

quality posts: 4 Private Messages offline999

You're not seriously trying to compare your Galaxy S II 1.2 GHz dual-core processor phone to this 1.4GHz quad-core tablet? Not even in the same ballpark.
I do think that, given the price point of other Android 10" tablets, these are a bit over-priced (especially for a refurb) but if you have a use for the s-pen functionality then there really are not other options.

JinOh

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JinOh

To add a few more niggles to help you decide.

Its ipad thin...really flat and sleek.

Front facing speakers. Great for not bothering others like rear speakers on other tablets. (And they get loud and dont distort)

Remote control app that runs all but a ps3 (bluetooth) . Or at least it works my vizio and sony stuff (3 different tvs and 2 receivers and a bluray player). Even has a picture for tv shows guide app thingy. See whats on then touch it qnd it goes to the channel. App is called "Peel". Pretty neat!

2gb ram. Beats the 1gb ram of other slower tabs.

Quad core processor. Faster than all the dual cores.

Play a movie on this at 50% brightness and then the same on the ipad or other higher res tablets. From arm lenth, even excellent eye sight wont likely see any difference.(full bright setting is too bright and lessens batt life)

If I have not helped. Go buy the apple at more money. They still make an ok product. It just seems apparent to those who have tried or even owned both. Will choose to buy the 10.1 note.

amoses78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amoses78

Well if you have only had it for a week, order this bad boy then box up and return the other one. Piece of cake (unless the return policy sux)

kschoenberg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kschoenberg

I don't get it...where are the knobs? Is this what the new Etch-A-Sketch is going to be?

ttait

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ttait

There's a setting to disable other touch input when the pen is used.

mc243569 wrote:Bought the refurb 32G from Amazon in November. No complaints with performance, resolution, or apps, and battery life is fantastic (still stays alive for maybe 4-5 days at a time). The biggest problem that I have with it is that when I go to use the S-pen, I can't lean on or put any pressure [besides the pen tip] on the tablet. Makes sense, but is still difficult, since I tend to write while leaning my wrist or hand on the surface area. Something to keep in mind, write-leaners.

jayjay72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayjay72
ncisprobie wrote:Hey I remember this. I bought this tablet, and left a negative review on amazon, saying that for the price ,and for a flagship product, I thought it felt too much like cheap plastic.

So you would pay for a turd wrapped in aluminum just because it didn't feel like plastic? It's the internals that matter to me the most and what the Note 10.1 can do, especially now with the JB update, it blows every other tablet out of the way. If you can do more than one thing at once this tablet is for you. If you're simple minded and you make your sole decision on whether something is plastic or not I guess this isn't. Why are people hating on plastic when they're going to just stick it in a case anyway? My Note 10.1 feels like leather.

hawknj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hawknj
HughHemington wrote:Do they include a "universal remote" app to use the IR Blaster feature? I bought the Vizio to do this, but the app blows.

If any of these things were programmable like high-end remotes, they'd sell like crazy just for that.

Yes the tablet comes with the Peel Software it evens works with a Tivo attached to the tv

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

If you are writing in S Note, there is an icon to click to reject palm pressure. In ICS it's in the upper right corner, in Jelly Bean, lower right corner. Click this and you can drag your hand all over the screen and it will ignore it and respond only to the S Pen.

mc243569 wrote:Bought the refurb 32G from Amazon in November. No complaints with performance, resolution, or apps, and battery life is fantastic (still stays alive for maybe 4-5 days at a time). The biggest problem that I have with it is that when I go to use the S-pen, I can't lean on or put any pressure [besides the pen tip] on the tablet. Makes sense, but is still difficult, since I tend to write while leaning my wrist or hand on the surface area. Something to keep in mind, write-leaners.

jkwon156

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkwon156

If this thing came with a Square Trade warranty option, I'd be on it. I've been looking to get one too.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
corvettejoe wrote:Incorrect.
1080p is actually pretty low res itself and with everyone calling it "HD" really confuses the heck out of the non tech crowd.

Compare that to a REAL monitor at 1920x1200. 1080 looks all bloated compared to 1200.

That said, 1280x800 on small handheld screens is REALLY nice.
Also, the ipad mini screen is LOWER than this tablet. The mini is only 1024x768 making the 1200x800 tablets quite a bit more crisp looking.

You need to take pixel density into consideration- this will more accurately determine how "crisp" your screen looks. The resolution itself is useless unless comparing it to the size of the screen. Your example about the IPAD mini is not a good one, because the IPAD mini has a pixel density of 162 PPI vs the pixel density of this tablet of 149 PPI.

Size does matter... when comparing resolutions

PS. It really pains me to state this also - because I am an avid Android user and in no way am I recommending the use of an Apple product over Android. I just need to point out the truth.

jayjay72

ILGal wrote:This Galaxy Note 10.1 is far superior to either for business use.

Why? The stylus. I have virtually eliminated legal pads from my workflow.

Exactly. I too use it for work and pretty much for anything else I plan on doing. I used to take notes with a memo pad but all the notes just get jumbled in. Now it's so easy to organize them I could never go back to a pad.

I have a DVR system so I can record shows from a previous night then automatically sync them to my Note 10.1 while I'm sleeping then watch them on the train ride to work. It's beautiful. People that nitpick about the resolution can only do so if they hold it up to their face. It looks perfectly fine and unlike other tablets the video fills almost all of the screen. Why wouldn't you want to use what you pay for?

I also use the tablet to stream video while I'm doing literally anything at home. It's a portable TV. Because of its loud front facing speakers I just stand it up on its case and I can cook, clean the house, play with my dog, excercise, anything really. I still want to know who the hell are the dumb ass engineers that think putting speakers facing backwards is right. That's the dumbest thing in the whole world.

I've had my Note 10.1 since August and I still love the thing and use it all the time.

ILGal

The stylus DOES interact with other apps. When the keyboard pops up, just switch out to the Pen tool and write away. The device will convert your text to handwriting. I use it all the time for email and calendar.

To the left of the spacebar is an icon that looks like a microphone (you can dictate your emails and appointments too, BTW). Long-press that to pop up your input options and then choose the T with the pen. You'll get a writing area. Write there.

di410733 wrote:I'm only using mine as a universal remote anymore - and there's a good app called Touchsquid (very programmable, great support) available.

I was so disappointed with this thing because I thought the stylus would let me interact with it fully (like send emails & all) - but sadly, the stylus only works in the Note app, and what it captures is images, not text - not very useful for email (people don't want to receive an image file to see a couple of lines of text).

ILGal

You'll probably want a case for your new Note. Cases made for the Galaxy TAB do not fit the Note (the cutouts are different).

Master list of cases from Amazon.

I bought this case and have been very happy with it.

onafox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages onafox

I would like to use this tablet at my business to "swipe" credit cards. I can do this on my phone and to have a tablet would be wonderful so it can be done by other workers. The app I use is FD Mobile Pay.
Can I use this? Thank you.

jayjay72

I've had mine since they first came out and NEVER had it freeze or crash on me at all and I use it all the time at work, during the train ride in and out, and also at home any time I need to take notes or watch some videos away from the TV. It even does tons of things in the background like synching the last night's TV shows for me while I'm sleeping. I even use it as a remote for my ZWave setup at home so I can turn lights and devices on or off.

Don't listen to that other post. It's just another brainwashed fanatic who is incapable of any reason.

cloudix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cloudix

I have both the galaxy note 10.1 and SII and both are stable and don't crash. Both are rooted and I often try to figure out a way to brick them but both are easy to recover, at worst case I do a factory reset and restore the apps from my back up. Just what are you doing?

blonig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blonig
gak0090 wrote:You need to take pixel density into consideration- this will more accurately determine how "crisp" your screen looks. The resolution itself is useless unless comparing it to the size of the screen. Your example about the IPAD mini is not a good one, because the IPAD mini has a pixel density of 162 PPI vs the pixel density of this tablet of 149 PPI.

While I agree that it is pixel density that matters (when comparing similar sized screens) the biggest knock against the ipad mini's resolution is that it can't play HD material. That and the fact that apple made a mistake in picking aspect ratios and screen resolutions, leaving large sections of the screen unusable during widescreen video playback.

gak0090

The resolution of this tablet is respectable at 1280 x 800 on a 10.1 inch screen. Most of the movies you play on this tablet won't be higher than 720P and will be compressed anyway. this hase been the standard resolution starting with the original Tegra 2 10.1" tabs and it works well. Why spend extra processing power driving pixels that really don't make an optical difference- having said that though, I personally believe the sweet spot for a high end 10.1 HD screen to be 1920 x 1200 (like the Acer A700 and Asus TF700T). This will allow playing of full 1080P video on the screen and have a high enough pixel density to make it indistinguishable from the retina display of the IPAD. You get the best of both worlds here- higher sharper resolution that can display at least full 1080P, yet you are not wasting resources driving unnecessary pixels like the new IPAD and the Nexus 10.

jayjay72

di410733 wrote:I was so disappointed with this thing because I thought the stylus would let me interact with it fully (like send emails & all) - but sadly, the stylus only works in the Note app,

This is false. Anything you can do with your finger you can do with the stylus. Period. For some reason people criticized this initially saying they don't want to pull out the pen whenever they wanted to do something. You don't have to use it at all if you don't but you'd just miss out on all the advantages.

j5

ILGal wrote:You'll probably want a case for your new Note. Cases made for the Galaxy TAB do not fit the Note (the cutouts are different).

Master list of cases from Amazon.

I bought this case and have been very happy with it.

This comes with one, albeit a mere sleeve of a case.

move along

gak0090

blonig wrote:While I agree that it is pixel density that matters (when comparing similar sized screens) the biggest knock against the ipad mini's resolution is that it can't play HD material. That and the fact that apple made a mistake in picking aspect ratios and screen resolutions, leaving large sections of the screen unusable during widescreen video playback.

Some people like the IPAD dimensions, I agree with you - I like the android standard aspect better. Our family has 2 Acer A500, Asus Transformer, Nexus 7, Ainol Novo 7 venus (very nice cheap tab- copy of the Nexus 7), Nook tablet running Jelly bean. With MX video I can play any video there is without transcoding. Best of all... NO ITUNES!!!!!

powermatt

quality posts: 7 Private Messages powermatt

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that one of the app icons in the screenshot is for the nook?