moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
fooffybunny wrote:If you're going to invest in good sheets, aim for high TC and make sure it's 100% Egyptian cotton, no blends. Sateen is evil

Um, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

"Sateen" is not a different kind of cloth or a different species of cotton. It's a term used to describe when cotton is prepared/woven a certain way. Its use in a description does NOT mean that the item described is a blend of different materials or of different kinds of cotton. When sheets are described as "Egyptian Cotton Sateen," it just means that the cotton was woven in a specific way that (if done properly) makes it softer and silkier to the touch.

If you had 1000 TC sheets that were "stiff," then they were probably woven from inferior cotton OR the term "Sateen" was used inappropriately/inaccurately.

gapotter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gapotter

BEWARE that TC does not mean Thread Count! TOO many manufacturers are pulling this stunt

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gapotter wrote:BEWARE that TC does not mean Thread Count! TOO many manufacturers are pulling this stunt

From the features:

500 thread count single ply yarns

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jdejesus18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdejesus18

Can someone please tell me if these sheets will feel a little tooo satiny? I am not a satin fan just a cotton one :D

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

UPDATE: Country of Origin

These were made in India, not Portugal.

Sorry for the error.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Lotus M50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lotus M50
ThunderThighs wrote:UPDATE: Country of Origin

These were made in India, not Portugal.

Sorry for the error.

That's a BIG difference.

phildozer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages phildozer
cantharis wrote:Why no CalKing ? Why did i buy a Cal king mattress?

To not have to sleep close to your spouse, most likely.

desertbird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages desertbird
cantharis wrote:Why no CalKing ? Why did i buy a Cal king mattress?

Right? This is the 2nd or third Sheets.Woot that FAIL. How about some love for the West Coast?

Also, why is this not on Home.Woot? Who Trusts Felix?

seearbrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seearbrown

I also want to complain that there are no Cal King sheets. Please.

Jamessir

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jamessir

Oh Woot we miss thee...

I'm so easy a caveman could do me!

marimendo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marimendo
ThunderThighs wrote:From the features:

500 thread count single ply yarns

Hi,

I am actually the vendor for these sheets, and in this case I can assure you that TC stands for thread count.

DaveBert99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaveBert99

Most threads are made up of two or more ply's. A thread count of 250 made up of two-ply thread does NOT equal 500 TC sheets! Be aware!

lisahi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisahi

I would love for Woot to offer quality deep-pocket sheets. I have such a hard time finding sheets for my gigantic mattress.

cdaligou

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cdaligou
jdejesus18 wrote:Can someone please tell me if these sheets will feel a little tooo satiny? I am not a satin fan just a cotton one :D

Ditto. I desperately need some new sheets but in general am not a fan of "sateen" either.

titaniumshovel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages titaniumshovel
baybei wrote:Queen and King only?

What about us crazy people who have only a twin size bed? Hmmmm?

A Queen size sheet can go on a Twin size bed It just wraps underneath it a lot. Plus if you ever upgrade, you've got the right size sheet.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
moondigger wrote:Um, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

"Sateen" is not a different kind of cloth or a different species of cotton. It's a term used to describe when cotton is prepared/woven a certain way. Its use in a description does NOT mean that the item described is a blend of different materials or of different kinds of cotton. When sheets are described as "Egyptian Cotton Sateen," it just means that the cotton was woven in a specific way that (if done properly) makes it softer and silkier to the touch.

If you had 1000 TC sheets that were "stiff," then they were probably woven from inferior cotton OR the term "Sateen" was used inappropriately/inaccurately.

Perhaps the poster simply confused "Sateen" for "Satan". "Satan is evil" -- who's gonna take issue with that?

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Hmmm......

I just don't care...

42 count, 569 count, 34,567,001 count...

Are there people somewhere actually counting the number of threads per square inch on sheets from India??

champship

quality posts: 0 Private Messages champship
seearbrown wrote:I also want to complain that there are no Cal King sheets. Please.

Isn't CalKing for really tall 6'5" type people? If y'all aren't that tall, why does someone buy CalKing?

cantharis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cantharis
champship wrote:Isn't CalKing for really tall 6'5" type people? If y'all aren't that tall, why does someone buy CalKing?

Cause I live in California so it's only fitting that I buy Cal King, makes sense ?

Anyway, Groupon is selling 400TC 100% "Egyptian" all sizes (yes CalKing too) for $45 free S/H plus tax.

jameesix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jameesix

i desperately need new sheets and have been tempted all day to order these, but i can't keep plunking money down on new sets that turn out to be crap.

i bought these a couple weeks ago,
http://home.woot.com/offers/800tc-egyptian-cotton-cabernet-2-sizes
and they are heavy, stiff, and noisy, even after repeated washings. dumped them into the cedar chest where they will join all the others i refuse to sleep on because they feel awful.

decisions, decisions....

bro3of4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
jameesix wrote:i desperately need new sheets and have been tempted all day to order these, but i can't keep plunking money down on new sets that turn out to be crap.

http://home.woot.com/offers/800tc-egyptian-cotton-cabernet-2-sizes and they are heavy, stiff, and noisy, even after repeated washings. dumped them into the cedar chest where they will join all the others i refuse to sleep on because they feel awful.

decisions, decisions....

Crud. Just what I did not want to hear. I haven't tried mine out yet.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
desertbird wrote:Also, why is this not on Home.Woot? Who Trusts Felix?

I asked the same question before some trigger-happy mod removed it.

I've never seen as many people so picky about sheets as here. Seriously, as long as there's no bedbugs/bloodstains/etc I'm pretty much good with anything. Never gave thread counts any thought really.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim
jameesix wrote:i desperately need new sheets and have been tempted all day to order these, but i can't keep plunking money down on new sets that turn out to be crap.

http://home.woot.com/offers/800tc-egyptian-cotton-cabernet-2-sizes
and they are heavy, stiff, and noisy, even after repeated washings. dumped them into the cedar chest where they will join all the others i refuse to sleep on because they feel awful.

decisions, decisions....

I'm tempted to so I looked at the ones you bought to see a comparison and saw a huge red flag!! "Made in China"

We have 1 set, or used to, that were a very high thread count, sounded great and were priced great. It was like sleeping on parchment paper.

I'm hoping these from India, are the real deal. I'm tempted, but really hate taking chances on textiles. There's so much double speak and smoke and mirrors in the industry and the FTC stays busy making them clean up their misleading language.

Scratching my head on this....

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim
pukeboy wrote:I asked the same question before some trigger-happy mod removed it.

I've never seen as many people so picky about sheets as here. Seriously, as long as there's no bedbugs/bloodstains/etc I'm pretty much good with anything. Never gave thread counts any thought really.

Considering your user name...... Should that be a surprise?

dergage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dergage
blainekyle wrote:What research I've done on the subject suggests that you can't go much higher than 400TC without getting into mathematical hijinks to justify the number. I know there are brands out there that boast 1000+ counts, but there's also been a lot of fraud uncovered in the market.

Aziz Ansari has the scoop:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13832-intimate-moments-for-a-sensual-evening/

Where're my extra threads? You didn't think I'd count that ish??

GK

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
desertbird wrote:Right?
Also, why is this not on Home.Woot? Who Trusts Felix?

With the (heh) upgrade to woot 4.0 woot changed a little. The new rules of woot would be that is where they post their best deal of the day, regardless of what woot it "belongs" in. So today's best deal happens to be one from the home section.

nachista

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nachista
houndawg wrote:Not all of Egyptian cotton is the good stuff. Not all of it is long fiber either. Most of the best cotton stays in Egypt for use in their own textiles. The rest of the world gets the crap. If you want the best cotton sheets available get Pima cotton. It's better than Egyptian.

Amen! Supima and Pima sheets have a great feel and are super durable. I have found that a good quality supima set in 250tc feels as good or better than a 700tc egyptian cotton.

dringrn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dringrn

"Egyptian long-staple," "pima," and "Supima" all denote high-quality long cotton fibers.

These just say "Egyptian" It does not say "long-staple". This is a KIND of cotton, it does not mean that it comes from Egypt. (Most "Egyptian" cotton is now grown in other parts of Africa.)

Sateen is the weave of the sheets. It means they weave 4 strands across for every one strand down. That means it feels softer, but these sheets are more apt to pull, tear, wrinkle and hold heat than a percale weave sheet which has one strand down for every one across.
For my money, the best bet is a Supima cotton or Egyptian long-staple cotton in a percale weave. Oh, and make sure it states single-ply

dringrn

http://reviews.ebay.com/TRUTH-ABOUT-THREAD-COUNT-EGYPTIAN-COTTON-SHEETS-BED-SET?ugid=10000000001274215

Good reading before you buy sheets

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

What the heck happened to marimendo? It seems that there were a lot of questions marimendo could have answered.

stacipurv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stacipurv
dringrn wrote:
These just say "Egyptian" It does not say "long-staple". This is a KIND of cotton, it does not mean that it comes from Egypt. (Most "Egyptian" cotton is now grown in Africa.)

Ummm..... Isn't Egypt in Africa?

dringrn

stacipurv wrote:Ummm..... Isn't Egypt in Africa?

Sorry, should have said "other parts of Africa". Originally true Egyptian cotton was grown only along the Nile in Egypt.

IRRRVERN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IRRRVERN
lisahi wrote:I would love for Woot to offer quality deep-pocket sheets. I have such a hard time finding sheets for my gigantic mattress.

I just received a set of calking deep pocket (20") from woot's cousin Amazon today. They are in the washer getting prepped for installation on my bed. This set of Egyptian cotton was made in Pakistan.

c steele

PatMcNJ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PatMcNJ

I guess I am the only kook who despises SATEEN? I hate the shiny look, and the slippery feel.

It is hard to find high quality non sateen sheets. : ( The ones I have now, are great, but I have to IRON them!! ARGHH.

clareeliz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages clareeliz
LightSpiral wrote:For lesser quality cottons I agree. However, actual REAL Egyptian Cotton (EC) is much softer and lower thread counts in EC are superior to those cheap cottons touting 800, 1000, 1200+ thread counts. After all, if it feels like wood fiber, adding more wood fibers doesn't necessarily help the softness.

I've slept on nothing but Egyptian Cotton sheets for over a decade. They are great!

OK, guys, here's the real deal: The thread count, as you both know, is threads per square inch. BUT what makes the difference in softness and comfort is the ply--many, many high thread count sheets are made with yarns that are actually as high as four ply, that is, four threads twisted together--what that means is that you are getting possibly a more durable sheet, but not a better or softer one. The BEST, softest, sheets are made with single ply yarns--so a 500 TC of single ply yarns is going to be softer than a 1600 of double, triple, or quadruple ply. There is also a difference between sateen sheets and percale sheets. Sateen is a type of weave that is much smoother than a percale sheet; which you like is a matter of preferance. I like Sateen, even knowing that percale is a bit more durable, sateen feels better to me. When you buy 1600 thread count sheets and say they're softer, unless that's single ply yarn, you're fooling yourself. I wish this listing said whether these were single ply yarns..I'd jump at this if they were.

robin731

quality posts: 6 Private Messages robin731
clareeliz wrote:I wish this listing said whether these were single ply yarns..I'd jump at this if they were.

The main page claims "500 thread count single ply yarns," so I think you're good!

lorrainemitchell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorrainemitchell
clareeliz wrote:OK, guys, here's the real deal: The thread count, as you both know, is threads per square inch. BUT what makes the difference in softness and comfort is the ply--many, many high thread count sheets are made with yarns that are actually as high as four ply, that is, four threads twisted together--what that means is that you are getting possibly a more durable sheet, but not a better or softer one. The BEST, softest, sheets are made with single ply yarns--so a 500 TC of single ply yarns is going to be softer than a 1600 of double, triple, or quadruple ply. There is also a difference between sateen sheets and percale sheets. Sateen is a type of weave that is much smoother than a percale sheet; which you like is a matter of preferance. I like Sateen, even knowing that percale is a bit more durable, sateen feels better to me. When you buy 1600 thread count sheets and say they're softer, unless that's single ply yarn, you're fooling yourself. I wish this listing said whether these were single ply yarns..I'd jump at this if they were.

lorrainemitchell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorrainemitchell
lorrainemitchell wrote:

It says that they are made of single ply yarn

Kuragari

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Kuragari

Sateen sheets, how to make cotton feel like polyester.

geekwench

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekwench
fooffybunny wrote:I 2nd that! I bought a 1000 TC Egyptian Cotton Sateen Sheet set thinking it'd be super soft and it was... stiff would be the best way to put it. If you're going to invest in good sheets, aim for high TC and make sure it's 100% Egyptian cotton, no blends. Sateen is evil

Actually, relying on thread count as a gauge for quality is a mistake, period, and you need to know more than just whether it's Egyptian cotton. Read any of these to understand why:
Linenplace.com
NY Mag
ABC/GMA
Hard-to-find bed sheets blog
And proper, quality sateen bed sheets are actually quite amazing.