weezerette

quality posts: 1 Private Messages weezerette

In for one, I've been in the market for a point and shoot that has a good zoom for our trip to Disney World in the fall. This seems like a good deal, it is a better camera than others I was looking at and cheaper.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 620 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

emilshenfeld wrote:Why two days shipping is not available?
I would need it delivered by Marh 29.
How long does standard shipping takes?

When shipping via FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon), our system checks with their system to make sure they can fulfill the expedited shipping request. If not, it's denied.

HOWEVER, that can change later in the morning when the first shipping deadline has passed. So it's sometimes worth trying again later in the morning.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

slapo12

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slapo12

I got this camera new for $200. At 100, this is a pretty good deal.

A neat feature (but this kills the battery) is the GPS and the compass. I'm not sure the accuracy, but it gets you lat/long coordinates for your pictures. Combined with the compass, you know which direction you're facing. I'm intending to use this feature for some ecological field work and am really excited about it.

The camera also has a burst shot mode that lets you get several pictures in rapid succession. The normal shoot-one-at-a-time might not be the fastest thing, but I've found it to be a great camera overall.

Be forewarned, however, of 2 things:

-This thing seems to eat batteries fairly quickly, so it'd be a good idea of investing in a few spare batteries

-The camera body is a bit longer than most normal point-and-shoots, so some cases may not fit it

mwpharr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwpharr

When ordering this camera, my order froze or at least gave me no indication it had gone through. Now I have 2 cameras on my "stuff" list--How do I remove one Help!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

mwpharr wrote:When ordering this camera, my order froze or at least gave me no indication it had gone through. Now I have 2 cameras on my "stuff" list--How do I remove one Help!!!

Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

I've emailed them as well.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose
confused15 wrote:

This link helped: Comparison

Helped? I don't know. It says the Nikon doesn't have panorama but the specs say that it does...

kmontrose

gak0090 wrote:Clip limits

One of the main disadvantages with using a stills camera to shoot movies is the short recording times available for HD video; Nikons limit a single take to 5 minutes while Canons and European Panasonics stop after 29 minutes, 59 seconds. This limitation is due to the different (European) import duty rates for still and video cameras. However, although this may seem like a handicap, in reality you would never need to shoot a sequence for longer than a couple of minutes or so (The celebrated opening take of Orson Welles' 'Touch of Evil' calls it a day after just three and a half). Look at any program or documentary on TV and notice that most shots are only held for a few seconds. Furthermore, a 4Gb card will store just 12 minutes of 1080p video from a Canon 5D Mark II, so you may never hit the 29 minute limit. The only time you would possibly need a longer recording time is in the case of shooting an entire wedding ceremony or event, in these situations a camcorder may be a better option.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3438174465/digital-cameras-video-a-beginners-guide

Huh. One of the Amazon reviews says he shot a video of 29 minutes, at which point the battery gave out.

He also said the video was corrupted by the battery dying. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090
kmontrose wrote:Huh. One of the Amazon reviews says he shot a video of 29 minutes, at which point the battery gave out.

He also said the video was corrupted by the battery dying. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

A couple things are possible here. Maybe he was not shooting in HD, and maybe in that case the 2gb rule is not in effect- or the other possibility maybe that the US versions of this camera may have different firmware that does not have this same restriction.

justinables

quality posts: 2 Private Messages justinables
mwpharr wrote:When ordering this camera, my order froze or at least gave me no indication it had gone through. Now I have 2 cameras on my "stuff" list--How do I remove one Help!!!

Hi mwpharr,

Woot CS here!

We have you taken care of. =)

You should receive a response from one of my colleagues shortly.

Everyone else: if you ever need to modify an order, please email support@woot.com with your order number and username.

We are sometimes able to help on the forums, but it's way easier to email us.

Also, if you send us cupcakes we will do anything you want.

Love,

CS

kmontrose

gak0090 wrote:A couple things are possible here. Maybe he was not shooting in HD, and maybe in that case the 2gb rule is not in effect- or the other possibility maybe that the US versions of this camera may have different firmware that does not have this same restriction.

Either that or he was posting his review on the wrong camera page. Always a possibility :-(

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo
gak0090 wrote:

FYI-That round thing on the right hand side of this picture is the screw-in tripod mount.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090
RocRizzo wrote:FYI-That round thing on the right hand side of this picture is the screw-in tripod mount.

I figured the picture would be self explanatory.

danielm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages danielm
confused15 wrote:Anyone know how it compares to the Panasonic DMC-ZS19 that was on here a few days back for about $20 more?

The site snapsort.com doesn't have the ZS19 in their database, but they do have the ZS20, which is quite similar except for no GPS and the Z19 has faster shooting
2cameraguys ZS19 vs ZS20 comparison

At snapsort.com, this Nikon vs the Panasonic ZS20, the Panasonic won.

This Nikon vs Panasonic ZS20 at Snapsort.com

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
gak0090 wrote:Clip limits

One of the main disadvantages with using a stills camera to shoot movies is the short recording times available for HD video; Nikons limit a single take to 5 minutes while Canons and European Panasonics stop after 29 minutes, 59 seconds. This limitation is due to the different (European) import duty rates for still and video cameras. However, although this may seem like a handicap, in reality you would never need to shoot a sequence for longer than a couple of minutes or so (The celebrated opening take of Orson Welles' 'Touch of Evil' calls it a day after just three and a half). Look at any program or documentary on TV and notice that most shots are only held for a few seconds. Furthermore, a 4Gb card will store just 12 minutes of 1080p video from a Canon 5D Mark II, so you may never hit the 29 minute limit. The only time you would possibly need a longer recording time is in the case of shooting an entire wedding ceremony or event, in these situations a camcorder may be a better option.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3438174465/digital-cameras-video-a-beginners-guide

Some good points. One of the advantages of shooting longer clips is that you can then select a shorter segment from them.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller
gak0090 wrote:I figured the picture would be self explanatory.

LOL

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller

Two considerations regarding this Nikon versus the Panasonic DMC-ZS19 from a little while back.

One is lens - the lens is really the key in any camera, and maybe even moreso for this level of product. Leica (Panasonic) , Nikon and Zeiss (Sony) are all excellent lens makers, so the cameras which use those lenses benefit from the better optics. (All Panasonic and Sony cameras do not use those lens makers, so you need to pay attention!) The Panasonic had a nice Leica lens on it, Nikon - Nikon. Which is better is open for debate ....

Secondly, and the decision criteria for me, the price of the ZS19 was virtually the same as that available on the parent. (IE, buy it today / buy it tomorrow, who cares?) This Nikon is priced much lower that either used or refurbished prices available on Amazon. So get it today or pay more later. Just sayin'.

IMHO, great lens + great price = buy

jrhorn424

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrhorn424

Bought one of these a few weeks ago for my wife. She wanted something smaller than a DSLR, but that could still take decent night and motion pictures.

The night pictures are fine, especially when you select the correct mode at the top of the camera. You can adjust ISO yourself, which you may need to do if the "indoor" setting still underexposes your pictures, or if they're blurry and you don't want flash.

Someone who understand DSLRs should be able to use this camera effectively. We're beginners ourselves, and it hasn't been difficult to get good shots. I have to take more exposures than I'd like because I need practice.

One thing to note: the "natural" way to hold point and shoot cameras will put your left index finger on top of the flash, and prevent it from firing. The camera is smart enough to warn you about it. Though it is awkward at first, I've adopted the DSLR grip---left hand supports camera, right grips and shoots.

bluemidget

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluemidget

Nice looking little camera. Last year I went to Best Buy to get my wife a pocket camera that she could use on ''Girls night out''. Nikon was one of the first ones I looked at but the zoom took f o r e v e r to focus and sometimes it never did! I tried a second one ,thinking that maybe the first one was just broken but it had the same problem. I never saw any reviews that mentioned this , so have no clue if this is a Nikon problem or just the two I tried.

I ended up buying the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS and it has been SUPER. Sam's Club had it packaged with a case and extra battery. Good shots in low light and I like that you can use the zoom when taking a video , which a lot of them will not do. But looking at current prices for a ''new'' Cannon they are about twice as much as this Nikon refurb. Someone said they needed a camera for upcoming Disney trip...just used my Canon at Disney and photos and videos came out great.

BOZ

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

If you are not set on the Nikon woot is also selling a awesome panasonic lumix camera with 20X Zoom

http://www.woot.com/offers/panasonic-14-1mp-digital-camera-w20x-opt-2

I own this one and its the best camera I have ever used.

confused15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
confused15 wrote:
This link helped: Comparison

kmontrose wrote:Helped? I don't know. It says the Nikon doesn't have panorama but the specs say that it does...

lol, someone remind me to check the credibility of my sources next time... txs

confused15

DarkZrobe wrote:If you are not set on the Nikon woot is also selling a awesome panasonic lumix camera with 20X Zoom

http://www.woot.com/offers/panasonic-14-1mp-digital-camera-w20x-opt-2

I own this one and its the best camera I have ever used.

Hear lies my problem, which one do I get... hmmm

kmontrose

confused15 wrote:Hear lies my problem, which one do I get... hmmm

You and me both...

jw10ec

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jw10ec

Useful review for an older issue CoolPix Camera on the Digital Camera Resource Page:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix_s9300-review?page=0,3
In conclusion...your iPhone probably does a better job. (and I love Nikon!)

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
jw10ec wrote:Useful review for an older issue CoolPix Camera on the Digital Camera Resource Page:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix_s9300-review?page=0,3
In conclusion...your iPhone probably does a better job. (and I love Nikon!)

Yeah, I had thought about this camera for a while, but the image quality is the deal breaker. A lot can be forgiven if a camera spits out excellent quality photos, but the reverse is not true.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
GTTraveller wrote:Two considerations regarding this Nikon versus the Panasonic DMC-ZS19 from a little while back.

One is lens - the lens is really the key in any camera, and maybe even moreso for this level of product. Leica (Panasonic) , Nikon and Zeiss (Sony) are all excellent lens makers, so the cameras which use those lenses benefit from the better optics. (All Panasonic and Sony cameras do not use those lens makers, so you need to pay attention!) The Panasonic had a nice Leica lens on it, Nikon - Nikon. Which is better is open for debate ....

FWIW, Panasonic cameras do not really have Leica lenses. The lenses are made by Panasonic, supposedly to Leica quality standards and under Leica supervision, whatever the heck that means.

Mostly the two companies have a marketing agreement...Panasonic can emblazon the Leica name on the cameras, and Panasonic provides Leica with some cameras so the Leica can emblazon their name on them. Yes, you can buy a Leica camera that is actually made by Panasonic and not Leica.

confused15

kmontrose wrote:You and me both...

Check out the first review here: DMC-ZS19

sorry to the rest of you for being a bit off topic.

gina3graces

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gina3graces

Thanks to the person who posted Nikon Guy's video...this helped me make a decision to buy. The end of the video shows samples of the photos taken with the camera and they are truly beautiful! Also I was surprised to hear how Nikon Guy pronounces the word Nikon...like NickON...because I've always pronounced it with a long i.

acaciasmom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages acaciasmom
theazman wrote:I'm not so sure, its refurbished...

refurbished doesn't mean anything! I have bought so many refurbished things off woot and there is never any difference from the regular item itself. Someone returned it for some reason or another, it was tweeked if needed and made sure to work and then sold via woot. Refurb is the cheapest way to go and you usually get a GREAT deal. See ---> http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/refurbished-electronic.htm -->for a great take on refurb items.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Canon has good deal on a true DSLR.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera in Metallic Gray (pictured) or Black with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens for $329.99 with free shipping. That's tied with last week's mention of a refurb and the lowest total price we could find for a refurb by $22. Features include a 2.7" vari-angle LCD, HD video recording, 3 fps continuous shooting, SDXC card slot, USB, and more.

radi0j0hn

gak0090 wrote:A couple things are possible here. Maybe he was not shooting in HD, and maybe in that case the 2gb rule is not in effect- or the other possibility maybe that the US versions of this camera may have different firmware that does not have this same restriction.

This from a European site:

"The EU demands an additional 2-3% of customs for digicams that can record more than 30 minutes as they’re also considered video cameras, purely on their continuous recording capabilities.

There have been numerous petitions against this (see e.g. http://vimeo.com/groups/gh2/forumthread:237068 ); all in vain. That is, it seems we Europeans need to either hack the firmware (as done by Vasily) or order the camera from the States."

So, it would seem that legitimate US imports would not have the 30 minute video limit.

acaciasmom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages acaciasmom

I found a little better deal on nomorerack.com. The Zoom isn't as good as this one, but if that's not a big deal to you, whynot save the 20ish dollars
http://nomorerack.com/daily_deals/view/289730-nikon_coolpix_l26_16_1mp_5x_zoom_digital_camera_with_8_gb_memory_card___carry_case_kit

ngc6475

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ngc6475

Whoop! I popped for a Panasonic DMC-ZS19K LUMIX 14.1MP Digital Camera for $125.00 on yesterday's Woot Off! I hope I got the right camera!

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

radi0j0hn

acaciasmom wrote:I found a little better deal on nomorerack.com. The Zoom isn't as good as this one, but if that's not a big deal to you, whynot save the 20ish dollars
http://nomorerack.com/daily_deals/view/289730-nikon_coolpix_l26_16_1mp_5x_zoom_digital_camera_with_8_gb_memory_card___carry_case_kit

Have you seen the sites dedicated to complaining about those guys????? Buyer beware.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

Holy smokes! I've got my order already. Woot is shipping out of Arizona now? Neat.

glenn26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glenn26
CharlesP2009 wrote:Holy smokes! I've got my order already. Woot is shipping out of Arizona now? Neat.

Got mine today too, but sans battery. Everyone double-check for yours immediately after opening! Already emailed woot tech support, I assume that one should have been included.

fuzzy409

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzy409
MichXelle wrote:It's probably coming direct from Nikon. You're taking a chance but I would going by my prior shipping. I have over 300 woot orders since 2006.

I bought one on the 22nd and here it is the 26th and still no shipping notification. They have been sitting on the shipping for 4 days now and all they can say is "Shipping being processed" That is not something Woot should be satisfied with. I know I'm not

ThunderThighs

Staff

fuzzy409 wrote:*******************************
I bought one on the 22nd and here it is the 26th and still no shipping notification. They have been sitting on the shipping for 4 days now and all they can say is "Shipping being processed" That is not something Woot should be satisfied with. I know I'm not

While often faster, we ask that you allow 5 business days for order processing and shipping out. If you ordered on the 22nd, this is the second business day.

Patience, my friend.

theoldbalddude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theoldbalddude

They claim the item has shipped, but the evidence suggests it has not. Customer service seems to be pretty dishonest. Don't know whether I will ever get the item. Won't be doing this again. Will contact the Texas AG if necessary. Have a good lawyer in Texas.

dinks100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dinks100
theoldbalddude wrote:They claim the item has shipped, but the evidence suggests it has not. Customer service seems to be pretty dishonest. Don't know whether I will ever get the item. Won't be doing this again. Will contact the Texas AG if necessary. Have a good lawyer in Texas.

WOW! A Texan crying lawyer, what a joke.

pillgolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pillgolf

Shipping to NORCAL was smoking fast! got mine on Monday. Great little camera, lots of features. still trying to figure out the 3-D mode.

thanks WOOT!