ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bennyboy783 wrote:Does anyone know if this has Windows 8 Pro on it? I need it to join a domain...

No. It's vanilla Windows 8. There's only Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. This is Windows 8.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ohyaok

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohyaok

I hope the people defending windows 8 aren't the same ones that were hating on Vista.

kikidoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kikidoll
beekermartin wrote:I recently got a 17" HP third generation I3 from staples for @325 after rebate. It doesn't have a bluray drive which is all I wish it did have. I am waiting for a slickdeal on a laptop bluray drive to add it. Anyway, I will say that Windows 8 was nothing but a complete nightmare for me when I first got the laptop. I installed Start8 and that fixed all my major issues. It has a free 30 day trial then it is only $5 after that. Before I installed Start 8 I was going to return the laptop. Thats how much I hated Windows 8. With Start8 installed Windows 8 is usable for me. Well worth the $5.

With all that crap said this looks like a solid deal for a high resolution 17" laptop with a bluray drive included. If I hadn't picked up the i3 last month I would have jumped on this.

Thanks SO MUCH for the info about Start8! I am getting it RIGHT NOW! I have been absolutely miserable with Windows 8, and hope that this solves my problem.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

I am a developer for Windows 8. There is always a push back when a new UI comes out. I still remember when people complained that they had to use a mouse if all they wanted to use was wordperfect. People said XP would never work either. Same with 7.

After you get used to just typing the name of the app on the start menu, you really don't miss the start button anymore. And just about everything is still accessible on the desktop part. You need to right click on the taskbar and add the desktop toolbar.

There real difference that people are not seeing is what is underneath. The start menu is NOT just a new menu. It is basically a new Operating system using the WinRT API instead of y'ol win32 api. If you use an app within the windows store, it must be verified by MS before added which reduces the instances of viruses on the splash screen by about 99%. It basically adds a layer of separation.

Furthermore, hardware acceleration is now supported in IE and in turn the new interface.

I personally didn't like Win8, but now I miss it when I use one of my Win7 machines.

Another big improvement is the implement of skydrive with the new Office 2013. You can not only save to the cloud (7gb free), but you can also set up a drive on the desktop where it will automatically archive whatever is saved there online. Google has something similar.

One last note, a few reps from Microsoft showed me this the other day. It is an app that lets you run Android apps. They just added a Win8 app version. It works really well.

http://www.bluestacks.com/

I am using a DV6 7229WM with an A8 and 7500. It is a more powerful little cousin of this one. I really like it and they seemed to have fixed the cooling issues. If my A8 is running cool with COD BO II 0180p running, I can't imagine an A6 would be overheating.

I was actually thinking this might be a good buy for my daughter who is going off to college this fall. She uses her current one for watching movies, playing Sims 3 and Civ V, skyping and wordprocessing. The only thing that concerns me is the size but she has a DV7 12XX now and likes it. It is basically dying from heat issues.

For people complaining, the AMDs have the GPU built into the CPU so it means they just have to cool one area rather than two as with my daughter's current DV7 with a 9600gt and a Core2.

jjsgrl48

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjsgrl48

I bought this laptop new 2 months ago... well I actually bought two of them. My husband’s works great but mine does not. It acts as if the enter button is stuck which it is not and continually launches websites, emails, fails windows log in, the list goes on. I reinstalled windows completely 2 times via system recovery. When I finally gave up and called HP support they sent me their recovery discs and I have used them 4 times in the last week. The last two times windows would not install and would display an error telling to start the recovery over because windows failed to install. I am working with a case manager that does not want to return my calls and really could care less that I spent $700.00 on this piece of hardware. After calling their office relentlessly last night I am waiting for a box to arrive so I can ship this mess to their repair center to get a new harddrive. Really and brand new laptop with maybe 10 hours of up time and it needs a new harddrive. Give me a break HP you are not the company you once were. I will never by another HP.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
auctionsaver wrote:I am a developer for Windows 8. There is always a push back when a new UI comes out. I still remember when people complained that they had to use a mouse if all they wanted to use was wordperfect. People said XP would never work either. Same with 7.

After you get used to just typing the name of the app on the start menu, you really don't miss the start button anymore. And just about everything is still accessible on the desktop part. You need to right click on the taskbar and add the desktop toolbar.

There real difference that people are not seeing is what is underneath. The start menu is NOT just a new menu. It is basically a new Operating system using the WinRT API instead of y'ol win32 api. If you use an app within the windows store, it must be verified by MS before added which reduces the instances of viruses on the splash screen by about 99%. It basically adds a layer of separation.

Furthermore, hardware acceleration is now supported in IE and in turn the new interface.

I personally didn't like Win8, but now I miss it when I use one of my Win7 machines.

Another big improvement is the implement of skydrive with the new Office 2013. You can not only save to the cloud (7gb free), but you can also set up a drive on the desktop where it will automatically archive whatever is saved there online. Google has something similar.

One last note, a few reps from Microsoft showed me this the other day. It is an app that lets you run Android apps. They just added a Win8 app version. It works really well.

http://www.bluestacks.com/

I am using a DV6 7229WM with an A8 and 7500. It is a more powerful little cousin of this one. I really like it and they seemed to have fixed the cooling issues. If my A8 is running cool with COD BO II 0180p running, I can't imagine an A6 would be overheating.

I was actually thinking this might be a good buy for my daughter who is going off to college this fall. She uses her current one for watching movies, playing Sims 3 and Civ V, skyping and wordprocessing. The only thing that concerns me is the size but she has a DV7 12XX now and likes it. It is basically dying from heat issues.

For people complaining, the AMDs have the GPU built into the CPU so it means they just have to cool one area rather than two as with my daughter's current DV7 with a 9600gt and a Core2.

This http://www.bluestacks.com/ is awesome!!! Thanks for the tip. It works on W7 also!

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
jpelg wrote:Would never buy another HP laptop with AMD processor. HP does a crappy job of designing for heat dissipation. Or should I say doesn't design at all, because they basically shoehorn the same motherboards into multiple models with the variation being screensize, and bad heat sinks. The motherboards will fry in short order (usually right after your warranty expires). With only 90 days warranty on the refurb, forget it. Such planned failure is a sad commentary from a once awesome company (HP). If you value your laptop, get a true Intel mobile processor model.

I AGREEE. Amd processors do nothing but over clock themselves and over heat. I have in the past bought systems with AMD's off in them And NEVERMORE NOT AGAIN!!!

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
ayovich wrote:How will this run sims 3? I only use my laptop for office work and the occasional game of sims.

Does your Boss know you doing this lol. J/k.

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

desiguy2447

quality posts: 0 Private Messages desiguy2447

Those who bought one of these laptops on Friday March 29th did anyone's order ship yet?

glyterbugg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glyterbugg
desiguy2447 wrote:Those who bought one of these laptops on Friday March 29th did anyone's order ship yet?

I just received the shipping notification, but it actually shipped on 1 Apr and will be delivered tomorrow. Woot send the shipping info out very late usually. I've actually gotten items before I received the tracking number.

redsail99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redsail99

I bought this computer back in March and sadly the hard drive has decided to go out less than 6 months later. As the warranty is only 90 days, this is the response I got from woot -"What you can do now is contact your local repair shop to have them repair the item." Thanks woot, sell me a PoS and then tell me how I can fix it. I guess that is what I get for buying a refurb computer.