MurphsWoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MurphsWoot

In case anyone happens to be looking for an honest review of today's offering as opposed to the anti-amazon movement, I give this product 5 stars. I bought the 4gig last time it was on woot and was mildly surprised at how easy it was to set up and get working. Even updated itself before actually ready to use. I just bough two more for other cameras including a trail camera I keep outside. This will be a quasi-webcam grabbing all the 2 and for legged wildlife tromping through the yard. If you're on the fence, jump over for one. I doubt you'd be sorry.

MurphsWoot!

birdoprey5

quality posts: 11 Private Messages birdoprey5

I love the concept of EyeFi and I had great success with the first version of EyeFi I bought from woot a couple years ago. However I had to upgrade my wireless router at went to a faster Buffalo router. Ever since then my EyeFi card stops working unless I re-install it every week. I've upgraded all firmwares to the latest version, and tried this several times over the years, but for some reason it just won't remember to work with my new router- which is awesome and isn't getting changed. I'm not sure I want to risk $20 on this generation 2 model if I'm not sure it will work better. If it does then it is a great deal. Otherwise it's just a 4GB SD card.

gfreek12000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gfreek12000

Eye-Fi web site says my Canon camera "exhibits audio static or noise during video playback" and to use "selective transfer setting". Does this mean that If I want to video I should change the card or is the noise only there from transfering?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jn082105 wrote:Hey fellow wooters, let's not get upset at a company who loves people, deals, and fun products. We can't always be looking for handouts, we're bigger than that. We Are Wooters! Just because there wasn't an April Fool's Bunch of 60s Cartoons it doesn't mean we ought to dis a company that has given us some pretty awesome craptastic memories. Woot hasn't changed. Woot on.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

StarChaserTyger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StarChaserTyger

If you're considering buying one of these, check their site first and make sure your camera is compatible. I went through the whole install and update thing with it, took about half an hour... and then it refused to work with my camera. XO Not their fault, I should have checked [i]first[/], but still, learn from my pain. :P

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
timmyboy1 wrote:Wow, guess the April Fools crap is really a thing of the good ol' past.

Depends on you perspective...Eye-Fi is it for me. Bought the 8GB. It can't manage passworded wifi connections... Of course with all the "errors writing to..." I get, there's not much to transfer. Save your money and get a SanDisk or 2.

rangerlg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rangerlg

I can safely say I went to bed last night not even dreaming a Bunch of 60s Cartoons would be offered. The traditions are dead.

vernon71

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vernon71
timmyboy1 wrote:Wow, guess the April Fools crap is really a thing of the good ol' past.

I forgot to set my alarm for the April Fools crap... at least, I didn't loose any sleep...

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

I must have the wrong kind of camera because I can't figure how this product would work with my camera.

No offense, but this is a product that could have used a short video showing us its typical usage.

Not a mind-numbing 4 minute "unboxing" video. Not a 20 minute "review" with all sorts of nitpicky complaints about the product.

Just a video showing how it gets used.

Nikoli2000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nikoli2000

I'm in for 1. And for those who are new to the internet and finding company websites, here is the link for checking camera compatibility. (Even includes previous versions of the cards.)

http://support.eye.fi/cameras/

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

Here is a short Youtube video showing how the card works.

[MOD: Embedded video]

wkearney99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wkearney99

We've had these kinds of cards in several of our cameras over the years and they've been great. The only downside to them is the wifi part of the card does require the camera stay on a bit longer to make it's transfers. This usually results in shorter battery life. Not a big deal but potentially a problem if your camera battery is already miserable meeces. I got several spare batteries for my wife's Nikon to avoid this. The transferring convenience far outweighs the battery issues. I say buy one!

jdubau55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdubau55

Reviews are pretty bleak over on Newegg. Says you have to create an account with Eye-Fi to use the upload features. One guy even rages about how you can't select what "cloud" to use.

This is a good price, but I don't feel confident about pulling the trigger. Wanted to get this so when traveling with friends we could upload on the go to quickly and easily share photos between friends using an online album.

snakebite315

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snakebite315

Did I miss something...when was the last Bunch of 60s Cartoons!?

snakebite315

I agree. this used to be a site that people would look at you strangely after you explained it to them. Now it is a place you can come and buy stuff. How cliched. How boring. I still buy stuff, but it is not any fun anymore. I'd take the fun back over all the stuff any day...

sea2sea wrote:I've bought 161 things from this place over the years because it was FUN -- and THIS is the best they can do on 4/1?
It has become a pale shadow of the Woot I used to love. And the main page now looks like the stupid tiles in Windows 8.

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
conanthelibrarian wrote:Lets watch this unboxing by kyle pro tech guy over at youtube

Terrible

keratoid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keratoid
sctechguy wrote:The pro version comes in either a class 6 OR a class 10. The pro version can also do wireless RAW image uploading (an ABSOLUTE necessity).

Actually the Pro version is a class 10 these are class 6

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo
jn082105 wrote:Hey fellow wooters, let's not get upset at a company who loves people, deals, and fun products. We can't always be looking for handouts, we're bigger than that. We Are Wooters! Just because there wasn't an April Fool's Bunch of 60s Cartoons it doesn't mean we ought to dis a company that has given us some pretty awesome craptastic memories. Woot hasn't changed. Woot on.

nice kiss ass attempt to get a Bunch of 60s Cartoons

mandren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mandren

*edit* i immediately take back everything i said about our WOOT Dear Ol' Dad, Horray for classic woot!

pdpplaque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdpplaque
snakebite315 wrote:I agree. this used to be a site that people would look at you strangely after you explained it to them. Now it is a place you can come and buy stuff. How cliched. How boring. I still buy stuff, but it is not any fun anymore. I'd take the fun back over all the stuff any day...

You're not looking hard enough there man. Woot does have 7 pages of random crap to go through and you just might find what you're looking for ;)

Woots!
4/1/2013 - B.A.G. O.F. C.R.A.P.
3/26/2013 - Vibram FiveFingers Bikila Shoes
3/25/2013 - HP 17.3" Quad-Core Laptop
3/25/2013 - HP 17.3" Dual-Core Laptop
1/29/2013 - 10.1" 32GB Tablet w/Keyboard Dock
9/4/2012 - JEM Adv Computer/Gaming Eyewear
7/31/2012 - HomeSource Microcotten 6-pc Towel Set
7/15/2012 - Oodles of Noodles
5/6/012 - J&J First Aid Kit - 2 Pack
4/18/2012 - Roku XD 1080p Streaming Player

wootatoottoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootatoottoot

Glad it's not just me who feels so fed up that Woot has become a pale, almost transparent, reflection of itself over the last few months.

Is this another case of something a little quirky and fun but with a loyal following being bought up by big business that thinks it can morph the followers into their kind of consumer only to kill it off when that never happens?
(deja vous feeling that this is HP and Palm all over again).

If this ship has sailed then I would like to be the first to say it was fun whilst it lasted and thanks to everyone for making it a fun place to shop and review stuff...and yes even to buy crap I didn't need. For me this is a little like the small country pubs in the UK being bought out by huge breweries and being "branded" or shut down either way dead to me.

Echos of "The Last Post" wafts by on the breeze.

snakebite315

Ahh...thanks for the heads up. Not too hard to find if you take a minute to put on your Woot thinking cap...

pdpplaque wrote:You're not looking hard enough there man. Woot does have 7 pages of random crap to go through and you just might find what you're looking for ;)

wtacey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wtacey

Got my first Bunch of 60s Cartoons EVER!!!! Happpy day!

mikegoetz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikegoetz
snakebite315 wrote:Ahh...thanks for the heads up. Not too hard to find if you take a minute to put on your Woot thinking cap...

That was so obvious. Hidden in plain site. Well done woot, well done.

pdpplaque

Alas, the bag of wonders is no more. The jokes on Wooters who spent the time to trash Woot for not having it on the main site

Woots!

JFJ1722

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JFJ1722
iambuns wrote:My woot purchase average used to be every other month for almost 6 years (sure, not much)...now one purchase in the last year. I hope you're happy with your changes woot!

Agrees with iambuns

ktrenholm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ktrenholm

So now that a Bunch of 60s Cartoons has been revealed can we all point and laugh at all the jerks whining about the decline of woot?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ktrenholm wrote:So now that a Bunch of 60s Cartoons has been revealed can we all point and laugh at all the jerks whining about the decline of woot?

As long as you don't resort to name calling. Oh wait... you just did. Well, don't do it directly to them.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ohsnaparoomba

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohsnaparoomba

Guys, there WAS a B - O - C. It was here: http://tools.woot.com/plus/cel-o-brate-manure

goaliemn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goaliemn

I bought one of the 4GB models last time they were on woot and absolutely love it. It works exactly as advertised. uploads the photos directly to my photo gallery. I bought the 8GB model now for my new camera, and going to leave the 4 in the old. Plus my new canon was built for eye fi cards.. let me turn the wifi on and off, as well as control when the photos will be uploaded.

pdpplaque

JFJ1722 wrote:Agrees with iambuns

I think a change to reduce your spending from once a month to every 6 month is just good consideration of Woot to keep your wallet happy so you can pay for food, clothes, and essentials for survial.

Also this recent change of location where this Crude was hiding was great since it survived for a good hour versus the few seconds stopping it from being quickly grabbed from "Elite" wooters such as yourselves.

Woots!

Kasona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kasona

w00t! It's been a good day! I got me an eye-fi card for my camera AND my second ever bandoleer of carrots!

It's been almost FIVE YEARS since my last successful bag grab in 2008

KKadow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages KKadow

Has anybody managed to make an Eye-Fi card work reliably with any "Game Camera" or Trail cam?

The support forums have a couple of ancient threads on the topic, but nothing recent. I'm tempted to get a couple of the less expensive cards, just to be able to experiment...

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt

The short version of my comments on Eye-Fi cards from the last time it was on sale: clunky software, but it does work as advertised. These do not upload RAW files (need the PRO models for that, yes I agree it's a silly arbitrary limitation). It is very cool to snap a picture on my D3100 and have it show up on Picasa 10-15 seconds later. If you've got a bit of tech savvy in you and want a wireless workflow, go for it.

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
jdubau55 wrote:Reviews are pretty bleak over on Newegg. Says you have to create an account with Eye-Fi to use the upload features. One guy even rages about how you can't select what "cloud" to use.

This is a good price, but I don't feel confident about pulling the trigger. Wanted to get this so when traveling with friends we could upload on the go to quickly and easily share photos between friends using an online album.

The first part about requiring a login is true. The second part about not being able to choose a cloud service is completely bogus.

Best I can tell, it seems that the Eye-Fi people use their servers as a man in the middle type service. So if you want your photos sent to multiple services, you don't have to wait for it to be uploaded over your connection multiple times. Instead, you upload once to the Eye-Fi server, and then their server likely uploads to the other services simultaneously. It's nice if you don't have a lot of upstream speed. They also offer a permanent backup service for your photos for $50/year.

I only upload to Picasa, but there are options for Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. It's never failed an upload to Picasa, but I can't say I've tried any of the other services.

As to on the go, if you happen to be able to do wifi tethering with your phone, this is a great option. I've tried it a few times and it works just as well, if a little bit slower.

korpo53

quality posts: 2 Private Messages korpo53
SurplusHP wrote:I must have the wrong kind of camera because I can't figure how this product would work with my camera.

1) You put the camera in your computer or USB slot with the included thingy.

2) You install/run the software that comes with it, or that you download from the internets.

3) You link it to the cloud account(s) you want to send your pictures to.

4) You put it in your camera.

5) You take pictures of things.

korpo53

quality posts: 2 Private Messages korpo53
jdubau55 wrote:Reviews are pretty bleak over on Newegg. Says you have to create an account with Eye-Fi to use the upload features. One guy even rages about how you can't select what "cloud" to use.

They work like a champ. You do have to create an account with Eye-Fi, and you have to punch your passwords for Picasa or whatever into it so the accounts can link.

You can select the cloud, though Skydrive, Dropbox, and some others are missing, which is irritating. There are workarounds though if you're a bigger fan of those services than Picasa and such.

firesleuth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firesleuth
Nikoli2000 wrote:I'm in for 1. And for those who are new to the internet and finding company websites, here is the link for checking camera compatibility. (Even includes previous versions of the cards.)

http://support.eye.fi/cameras/

I would like to use this on my Canon EOS-5D Mark II which only uses a CF card. I regularly use SDHC cards in the camera using a SD-CF card adapter. Eye-Fi does not recommend this but they state that they have not tried it. Anyone out there use Eye-Fi with a CF-SD adapter?

bratib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratib
scotttampa wrote:Unlike the last woot when these 8gb were 49.99, those were Pro, these are Mobile... a bit less expensive, and I dont really see the difference in pro vs mobile... theyre both class 6 as well. Id say this is a better buy than paying more for pro!

Actually the Pro is a class 10 device and you can also upload RAW images.

bratib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratib
woottoady wrote:Depends on you perspective...Eye-Fi is it for me. Bought the 8GB. It can't manage passworded wifi connections... Of course with all the "errors writing to..." I get, there's not much to transfer. Save your money and get a SanDisk or 2.

I have multiple versions of the Eye-Fi cards and have no problem with secure Wi-Fi connections. If you set it up properly, you enter the login info and the card stores it.