caffeine_dude

quality posts: 13 Private Messages caffeine_dude

The cape is a lie.

Please don't delete this post, I am trying, honest!

bigjim7117

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjim7117

Woot has lost it's novelty, no longer a fun site, just another commercial site. Quit with the Woot monkeys and Wootopoly already.

cordyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cordyt

Another woot off without a Bag of Cowardliness

I'm ready to boy of cott

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I wish I could see the analysis of the impact of the switch to a "shipping cart" and abandonment of the one day, all day, "free" shipping policy. There's undoubtedly an interesting conversation going on within the woot management circle.

angelcat00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelcat00

Yes, this monkey is a repeat, btw: http://www.woot.com/offers/screaming-woot-monkey-5

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
caffeine_dude wrote:The cape is a lie.

Maybe it should say: "Just another day, lots of stuff to sell."

anago

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anago
webgenie wrote:Definitely worst Woot ever...it was kind of sad instead of fun.

The worst woot-off ever was almost a year ago. Ever since they are all the same as that one. No worse... just the same lameness. Why is it so important that every woot-off be the worst?

Yes, it is true that Woot is nowhere near as great as it used to be (and I mean nowhere near) but every woot-off is not worse. The suckitude has kind of bottomed out so you can't keep saying worst woot-off ever.

However, I still watch them because even though they (woot-offs) aren't what they used to be, you can still find a deal here and there if they are offering what you need and the price is reasonable. You just can't expect a gem in every offering.

Sad I know but reality it is... for now.

By the way... the biggest loss for woot coolness factor was the removal of BOC. What a great way to get rid of unsellable stock and still make the customer happy.

I’m addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn’t matter. -- Steven Wright

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

love how they push buying some here then because of the shopping cart, heading over to kids woot and buying more.
because the shopping cart made that possible? lol

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

jon98gn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages jon98gn
cordyt wrote:Another woot off without a Bag of Cowardliness

I'm ready to boy of cott

You must not have been paying attention. They have been giving out bags of crap via the crossword game. I believe they only gave out around 200 though.

Also they had a Bag of Cowardliness on April Fool's Day. So they sort of brought that tradition back albeit in a smaller volume.

\

zcbmarne

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zcbmarne

It was very difficult to hit the big yellow button especially because I wasn't real fond of the grey monkeys. The only reason I did was the ability to buy 6 of them. I still have 5 monkeys from a long time ago. People love to get them as gifts. This will be my last purchase everything has become both too expensive and boring to boot.

bluejester

quality posts: 568 Private Messages bluejester

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1

The free shipping was a big draw. But the biggest was the occasional bag o' carips.

I guess they figger they can sell that stuff instead of giving it away. But they don't realize that's what made woot. Writing it off as an advertising expense, IMHO, made much more sense than selling it off.

Wudooeyeno?

slowboiled

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slowboiled

I remember when the monkey went practically as fast as the boc.

Hear this corporate woot, you used to be the absolute emperors of impulse buyers...even after years when I saw the sirens I checked my bank account first to see how much I was about to spend....and after this WO I have exactly the same amount of money in my account. How weak-sauce of you.

P.S. I'm an internet marketing strategist, PM me for help.

sf6864

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sf6864

Wow Amazon, way to destroy what you bought. Woot was once a fun, unpredictable way to buy interesting random stuff. Now it's a boring bargain basement where we can buy your failures.

mhmank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhmank

So when is the last time a Bag of Cowardliness was offered?

I haven't seen one in at least the last three woot-offs!

Kind of disappointing...

tvesecky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tvesecky

I remember the good old days of woot-offs before amazon bought them. One good deal after deal woot-offs withought hour long intermissions, actually sold bags of crap, screaming monkeys were here for kicks, not to end it, bacon flavored everything....

Trav-The-Man

Terial

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Terial

This is the 5th wootoff, i have an ongoing message on their FB page where they say "we are not done offering BOC's" and every woot off, i ask again in that thread where it is.... now i've lost the thread, it's been a long time. but according to that thread (that i can't find now on their FB page) they are not done with BOC... I believe they are though and just said they were not so we keep on going to the woot offs. I've stopped and only check after now to see if they actually had one.

Dadoboy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Dadoboy

The sad part is... They don't care. They don't have to. They made their sales - things sold out - just like it use to. Now they're 5 dollar richer for each product.

Amazon is out to make money. Not make us happy. Not to give us great deals. Not to have fun. To Make Money

We'll complain and others will take our spot, but Amaz..er Woot will not change back for us.

]

sf6864

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sf6864

Remember when Woot-offs were unpredictable, funny and exciting? They were also independent, and had a point of view. Now this is just Amazon's bargain basement. Mind you, I like Amazon, but they completely destroyed everything that made Woot special.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
Terial wrote:This is the 5th wootoff, i have an ongoing message on their FB page where they say "we are not done offering BOC's" and every woot off, i ask again in that thread where it is.... now i've lost the thread, it's been a long time. but according to that thread (that i can't find now on their FB page) they are not done with BOC... I believe they are though and just said they were not so we keep on going to the woot offs. I've stopped and only check after now to see if they actually had one.

So this is where the complainers are... apparently you guys didn't pay close enough attention, as there were indeed BoC's available:

Crapword Puzzle

There were only about 200 available, but the puzzle was actually pretty fun. They also had some Barrels of Compost available on Woot Plus on April 1st.

mhmank

itoaseik wrote:So this is where the complainers are... apparently you guys didn't pay close enough attention, as there were indeed BoC's available:

Crapword Puzzle

There were only about 200 available, but the puzzle was actually pretty fun. They also had some Barrels of Compost available on Woot Plus on April 1st.

So you had to play the puzzle to get a bag of carrots? Why not just offer the Bag of Carrots in the regular woot-off. Who had time to do the puzzle? I know the clues were in the description of each item. I don't have time at work to spend that much time looking for clues. I do have the woot analyzer running that opens up the buy page if a Bag of Cowardliness comes along.

I miss the old days when the Bag of carrots was in the normal woot-offs.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

mhmank wrote:So you had to play the puzzle to get a bag of carrots? Why not just offer the Bag of Carrots in the regular woot-off. Who had time to do the puzzle? I know the clues were in the description of each item. I don't have time at work to spend that much time looking for clues. I do have the woot analyzer running that opens up the buy page if a Bag of Cowardliness comes along.

something about having fun?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
mhmank wrote:So you had to play the puzzle to get a bag of carrots? Why not just offer the Bag of Carrots in the regular woot-off. Who had time to do the puzzle? I know the clues were in the description of each item. I don't have time at work to spend that much time looking for clues. I do have the woot analyzer running that opens up the buy page if a Bag of Cowardliness comes along.

You're right, turning it into a game that favors people willing to put in the time and effort is way less fair and fun than just having tons of server crashes. /sarcasm

Saxmoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Saxmoore

It's been interesting to see the the changes in Woot since the buyout. Most telling to me is the lack of a community feel anymore. Looking back on the discussions during this woot-off, the largest number of posts for one item was 53. Most items had less than 10 posts.

Pre-Amazon, there would be page after page of posts for each woot-off item - discussing the item, making jokes about it, pictures of cats....

All of that is gone. It's a shame. Now, it's just a business.

Dadoboy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Dadoboy
Saxmoore wrote:It's been interesting to see the the changes in Woot since the buyout. Most telling to me is the lack of a community feel anymore. Looking back on the discussions during this woot-off, the largest number of posts for one item was 53. Most items had less than 10 posts.

Pre-Amazon, there would be page after page of posts for each woot-off item - discussing the item, making jokes about it, pictures of cats....

You nailed it.. I did post some cat, trying to get it going, to have fun, but alas it didn't work.

]

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Saxmoore wrote:It's been interesting to see the the changes in Woot since the buyout. Most telling to me is the lack of a community feel anymore. Looking back on the discussions during this woot-off, the largest number of posts for one item was 53. Most items had less than 10 posts.

Don't forget the stuff that had to be deleted! If nobody was watching it would go from nice looking girl to sexy looking girl to almost naked girl and sometimes naked girl! Or naked fat guy.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

mhmank

itoaseik wrote:You're right, turning it into a game that favors people willing to put in the time and effort is way less fair and fun than just having tons of server crashes. /sarcasm

Fair? really fair? Who said anything about being fair? I, personally, don't have time to read every woot description of an item to do the crossword to hope that I get a BOC. I actually have to work. One of the days during the woot-off I had a customer with me that I was training. We were here for 14 hours. Sorry I don't have time for that. Even when I didn't get a Bag of Cowardliness I liked reading the community and all the people that tried and/or their posts later on about what the got.

I think that Woot has gone down hill since being bought by Amazon.

I still am stuck though on the whole "fair" concept though; who said that the BOC had to be fair?