zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3000 Private Messages lichme

Previous Sale has some comments

PS - the rest of the sales are not loading - errors

Linad

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Linad

I can see my house from here! oh..wait... I'm in my house!

Crazymanrobert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Crazymanrobert

I was really hoping for the Samsung tablet 2 to show upp again...

WOOT Cherrry broken on 12/13/06 at 12:30am

nobet44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nobet44

Arrrr! I missed the CRKT Triumph! Before I finished reading about it, it was gone. I hate Woof-offs. I must have refreshed my browser and phone hundreds of times in the past few days. Too bad I didn't need a backpack. XD Bad monkey!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A couple of very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at opticsplanet.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Two perfect reviews (5.0 out of 5.0) over at amazon

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 37 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Leupold makes great optics. My favorite binocs are the 6x30 Yosemite's. About $100.00 pr. and a great value. This pair look good but be prepared to use something to brace against. 12 x are very difficult to hand hold.

phishneslo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages phishneslo

The prisms do not appear to be phase-coated (which is expected in mid-high end binoculars), and the close-focus distance is a little far. Compared to the most popular magnifications / apertures in roof prism binoculars (8x40), these are a little long, and give up some close focus range and field of view, and are a bit big and heavy. Better suited for hunting in the open range or across mountain valleys than watching birds in the forrest or backyard.

But this is a good deal... They typically sell for less than retail but more than this... And I don't have any 12x50 roof prisms... And I don't think I want to pay for high end glass in this size... And I haven't bought any binoculars yet this year... I don't know. I am going to sleep on it. Thank god the woot-off is over or I might have done something impulsive...

[MOD: They are phase-coasted prisms]

dougtaylor1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougtaylor1
phishneslo wrote:The prisms do not appear to be phase-coated (which is expected in mid-high end binoculars), and the close-focus distance is a little far. Compared to the most popular magnifications / apertures in roof prism binoculars (8x40), these are a little long, and give up some close focus range and field of view, and are a bit big and heavy. Better suited for hunting in the open range or across mountain valleys than watching birds in the forrest or backyard.

But this is a good deal... They typically sell for less than retail but more than this... And I don't have any 12x50 roof prisms... And I don't think I want to pay for high end glass in this size... And I haven't bought any binoculars yet this year... I don't know. I am going to sleep on it. Thank god the woot-off is over or I might have done something impulsive...

And, and and and and... Just buy the dang things. This is very decent deal. As mentioned, don't try to use these without a tripod.

fx4m

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fx4m

These may be good for what they are, but for most uses they are an odd size. 12x is too much magnification to hand hold, the view will shake so much it is hard to see the details that the optics can provide (7x is better for most hands). They are also too heavy to hold for long periods. Used on a tripod during the day they may be fine (well, I would prefer heavier porro prisms instead of roof prisms if tripod mounted). For star gazing (again on a tripod), 50mm is too small for 12x, 12x84 would be more suitable.

So if you know enough about binoculars to know that you want this size, fine. But for most people and applications this size is not a good choice.

mutatedbrain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mutatedbrain

are they any good for star gazing?

11/13/2007 Belkin Power Supply (Sellout.woot)
10/22/2007 Brown Zune
7/24/2007 Sandisk 512MB Ultra II SD
6/16/2007 Hamilton Beach BlenderChef
4/30/2007 Sony NW-S705 (Pink)

bingbroome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bingbroome

Bought a pair last time they were woot sold. I use them for bird watching (both the feathery an human kind). They are great binoculars. Great clarity and field of vision for twice the price point. Buy them and you'll give your Tascos away.

kmf600

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmf600

I use the 50 mm binoculars for hunting. In low light situations, sun rise or set, these are amazing. I can see animals for about a 1/2 hour after it gets too dark to see with the naked eye.

bern47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bern47
fx4m wrote:These may be good for what they are, but for most uses they are an odd size. 12x is too much magnification to hand hold, the view will shake so much it is hard to see the details that the optics can provide (7x is better for most hands). They are also too heavy to hold for long periods. Used on a tripod during the day they may be fine (well, I would prefer heavier porro prisms instead of roof prisms if tripod mounted). For star gazing (again on a tripod), 50mm is too small for 12x, 12x84 would be more suitable.

So if you know enough about binoculars to know that you want this size, fine. But for most people and applications this size is not a good choice.

Excellent knowledge & advice on this item.

davywally

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davywally
nobet44 wrote:Arrrr! I missed the CRKT Triumph! Before I finished reading about it, it was gone. I hate Woof-offs. I must have refreshed my browser and phone hundreds of times in the past few days. Too bad I didn't need a backpack. XD Bad monkey!

If you are running the Firefox web browser on your PC, you can right-click a tab and set it to reload automatically, your choice of frequency. I do not know if this works on a phone.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

Does anyone know the dimensions of these?

davidd13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davidd13
showcaller wrote:Does anyone know the dimensions of these?

These are 6 5/8" tall, 4 3/4" at the objective end (closed) and 4" at the eye pieces. They are bright, light as a feather, and I have no problem keeping them steady. For what it is worth, I don't know how you could mount these on a tripod.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

phishneslo wrote:The prisms do not appear to be phase-coated (which is expected in mid-high end binoculars), and the close-focus distance is a little far.
...snip

These are phase-coated prisms. This info has been added to the sale.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bheck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bheck
fx4m wrote:These may be good for what they are, but for most uses they are an odd size. 12x is too much magnification to hand hold, the view will shake so much it is hard to see the details that the optics can provide (7x is better for most hands). They are also too heavy to hold for long periods. Used on a tripod during the day they may be fine (well, I would prefer heavier porro prisms instead of roof prisms if tripod mounted). For star gazing (again on a tripod), 50mm is too small for 12x, 12x84 would be more suitable.

Spot on except that I might be a little more tolerant of the 50mm objectives for stargazing, especially given the price. Yes, something like 84mm would be better, but for $170.... In any case, not such a great choice for handheld general use.

According to the description on the Eagle Optics Web site, these can be mounted on a tripod using an optional adapter.

thecharliescott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecharliescott

How do I pronounce "Leupold," that I might appear cogniscent at cocktail parties.

turbineman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turbineman
mutatedbrain wrote:are they any good for star gazing?

NO, just stare blankly up at night and gaze! Works better after a few drinks!

highvolt82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highvolt82
thecharliescott wrote:How do I pronounce "Leupold," that I might appear cogniscent at cocktail parties.

loopold

Joshua714

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Joshua714
dougtaylor1 wrote:And, and and and and... Just buy the dang things. This is very decent deal. As mentioned, don't try to use these without a tripod.

I bought one back in March, excellent optics, but no tripod mount. Is there another way to adapt a tripod on these binocular?

David

chasby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chasby
Joshua714 wrote:I bought one back in March, excellent optics, but no tripod mount. Is there another way to adapt a tripod on these binocular?

Both Bushnell and Nikon make 'universal binocular tripod" mounts: basically a flat surface with the screw/bolt to mount to the tripod, then uses velcro straps to hold the binoculars. Use some on my 8x30 for sky watching and they work decently enough.

jspickler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspickler

Not sure if or why this was deleted from earlier this morning, but here were my $0.02.

To those suggesting tripods: binos are supposed to be portable. If you have problems using specific magnification I agree you should go lower, but using a tripod defeats the purpose of having easily portable optics. May as well splurge on a nice scope if you're just going to be using a tripod!

This price is a super deal! I have a pair of 12x50s from Eagle Optics (STR Ranger), which are a little lighter than these at 25.8oz and have a better close focus at 8ft. They cost me almost around $350, so I would recommend this woot! deal to anyone with a steady hand.

I agree that if you tend to have shaky hands, these aren't good binos for you since you will frustrate yourself. For me (and most people I know) this is not an issue since you can learn to hold them steady. I can hold mine and can look at tiny warblers in the treetops without issue. If you are a serious birder, I wouldn't go below 10x42 if you want to see up-close details in a wide range of lighting conditions. Using 7x35 you might as well just look at the tree with your bare eyes because getting a solid species ID is going to be tough.

Another note, because the magnification on these is so high it decreases the field of vision so it can be a challenge to re-learn to lift the binos into position without losing sight of the bird. This is something I learned very quickly and the payoff of a good image is well worth it to me!

One last thing, if you're going to get these I would recommend a harness to keep their weight off your neck. There is not much worse than a sore neck and upper back after a long day of birding!

Now go buy this zip-up hoodie from shirtwoot! to take on your birding adventures!
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/songbirds-of-north-america-lightweight-zip-hoodie

conner79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conner79
thecharliescott wrote:How do I pronounce "Leupold," that I might appear cogniscent at cocktail parties.

Loo-pold

budge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages budge

These binoculars are a great deal, especially for hunters. Leupold makes outstanding optics, and these should come with their lifetime guarantee. Their customer service is also second to none. I had a set of rangefinding binoculars that went belly up. They no longer made those binoculars, so they sent me a brand new set of binoculars and a range finder based on my original purchase price, with the option to upgrade both at a discounted price. Awesome!

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 37 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Never mind!

pete10iss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pete10iss

Do these hold a focus? I've been disappointed by those that constantly need adjustment.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
chasby wrote:Both Bushnell and Nikon make 'universal binocular tripod" mounts: basically a flat surface with the screw/bolt to mount to the tripod, then uses velcro straps to hold the binoculars. Use some on my 8x30 for sky watching and they work decently enough.

Tripod mount:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/accessories/tools-and-accessories/binocular-tripod-adapter/

dbcrandall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbcrandall

As the company was founded by a German, the correct German pronunciation would be "loy-pold" or "loy-polt". For an audio pronunciation: http://www.forvo.com/word/leupold/

mrict2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrict2002

Why is this a good deal when it is on ebay for 195 shipped?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 167 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mrict2002 wrote:Why is this a good deal when it is on ebay for 195 shipped?

We offer $5 shipping?

mdnorman

Because it is available here for less than $195?

JWTraveler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JWTraveler

I bought these when they were available in March. There is some distortion around the edges but you can't beat them in the under $200.00 set. While they are heavier than those lightweight birding lenses, you can order the back strap to disperse the load. As far as I am concerned, they are great hunting binoculars for the long ranges needed in the areas of Arizona where I am.

ObsessiveCompulsive

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ObsessiveCompulsive

Are those the 12x50 on eBay you are referring to? I couldn't find a 12x50 for less than $227 on eBay.

cormelon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cormelon

Normally these have a lifetime warranty? What so inferior about these that only a year is offered? It's a deal breaker for me......

mdnorman

cormelon wrote:Normally these have a lifetime warranty? What so inferior about these that only a year is offered? It's a deal breaker for me......

Bingo! That's where I'm hung up too!

Hey woot, can someone tell us why Leupold's limited lifetime warranty doesn't apply to these binoculars?

jerseytu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerseytu