mdgore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mdgore

This is a cheap buy in if you want to check out these type shoes, but be aware that Fila's are cheap and plastiky (I made that word up). The msrp may be $70, but you can pick these up all the time at Big 5 and other sites for $30. I have and have had more than a few pair of Vibram Fivefingers, and they are so superior in quality to the Fila's, it's not even funny. You can pick up Vibrams here on woot! (just this week) or REI or 6pm on sale every other month it seems. you're going to pay $40 to $50 for a pair, but they are waaaay better. I would use socks, like Injinji, because it seems to keep the stink in check and make the shoes last longer. YMMV. BUT, if you're going to be wearing these type shoes, you need to start slow and build up to where you are wearing them all the time. My wife doesn't wear anything but Vibram Fivefingers (she pays full retail and doesn't care, unlike the cheapo guy I am), and I wear them 100% of the time when exercising and around 60% of the time when doing normal life. I would take the $20 and invest in some Vibrams.

When do we get to buy souls?

babystewie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages babystewie

Do these get stinky without socks? Should I invest in gold bonds?

woootloot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woootloot

If any of you guys who say you've worn these could comment on if its true to normal shoe size (measure your foot in inches=size) or if it matches the sizing chart they gave it would be helpful. Thanks.

stallion69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stallion69

$50 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Fila-Skele-toes-Trail-Slip--ORANGE/dp/B00916WW7I/ref=sr_1_19?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1367214881&sr=1-19&keywords=Fila+Skele+Toes

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

I'll stand pat with the Teva's I Wooted the other night...

hookhams

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hookhams
wootbert wrote:I have a pair with a tongue for each toe.

I wonder how this one feels when two toes share one tongue.

I guess whatever cuts cost, this definitely doesn't look right.

Anybody has shoes with 4 tongues only? Please give us some experience info ...

The 4 toes is really easy to slide into...but they make you look like an alien. so far similar durability than any 5 toe/tongue brands. I'm satisfied with these and Love the price point.

I am kickboxing every week with them and do other outside activities. They haven't failed me yet

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

LarryLars wrote:Any specs on the width? Is it one width fits most? (I'll assume it's a D width).

Standard width, also known as D width.

raindog61

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raindog61

Here's a good review:

http://birthdayshoes.com/review-fila-skele-toes-four-toed-shoes

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino
dliidlii wrote:*Fits true to size for the barefoot wearer. Order a half size up to accommodate socks

Yeeeahh, thanks but... that wasn't what I asked. I read the specs. The specs and size are about length, not width. Some shoes run wider or narrower than others that have the same size length.

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

Skeletor highly recommends.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
woootloot wrote:If any of you guys who say you've worn these could comment on if its true to normal shoe size (measure your foot in inches=size) or if it matches the sizing chart they gave it would be helpful. Thanks.

What?

glasstoaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glasstoaster

I am sincerely sad that I cannot order a women's style. I love minimal running shoes & have needed a new pair for a few months now, they're just so darn pricey...

Ailetoile

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ailetoile
mdgore wrote:This is a cheap buy in if you want to check out these type shoes, but be aware that Fila's are cheap and plastiky (I made that word up). The msrp may be $70, but you can pick these up all the time at Big 5 and other sites for $30. I have and have had more than a few pair of Vibram Fivefingers, and they are so superior in quality to the Fila's, it's not even funny. You can pick up Vibrams here on woot! (just this week) or REI or 6pm on sale every other month it seems. you're going to pay $40 to $50 for a pair, but they are waaaay better. I would use socks, like Injinji, because it seems to keep the stink in check and make the shoes last longer. YMMV. BUT, if you're going to be wearing these type shoes, you need to start slow and build up to where you are wearing them all the time. My wife doesn't wear anything but Vibram Fivefingers (she pays full retail and doesn't care, unlike the cheapo guy I am), and I wear them 100% of the time when exercising and around 60% of the time when doing normal life. I would take the $20 and invest in some Vibrams.

Wanted to add that as another full time Vibram wearer, I did try this brand on to see the difference. Here are some of my personal comparisons:

*these are about standard width
*I wear a size 7.5-8.5 (39 European ) and found that an 8 of these fit fine without socks
*this brand slides onto the foot very easily right out of the box
*these are NOT barefoot shoes; they felt big and clunky on my feet but I was wearing Vibrams before trying them on

Again, these are not barefoot shoes. If you want to be close to the ground then look elsewhere. If you want to get a little added traction or see how it feels to have (almost) all of your toes separated then these may be what you are looking for.

I have a bad ankle and wear Vibrams for the barefoot feel (I haven't had an ankle problem since switching and have never regretted ditching conventional shoes). Personally, the Skeletoes feel wasn't for me. Ymmv depending on what you're looking for though.

zanthrax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zanthrax

Something's wrong with the size selection box. It's only going to 14.

JordanK23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JordanK23

I don't want to look like I have 4 toes. what are the benefits of having a shoe that lets you move toes independently for the first 3 digits...?

scottman54

quality posts: 34 Private Messages scottman54

My toes must be mutant. The middle 3 tend to stay together. The big toe and pinky toe separate readily. If I wore these, it would be a lottery each day which ended up where. I need to find a 3 toed shoe, with one big one in the middle. Maybe I'm a bird.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

Never in My Life have I seen these in sz 16.

when I do, I will run through the woods making Sasquatch tracks like no ones business.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

Barakitty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Barakitty
spork7 wrote:I've got 2 pairs of Vibrams, and 2 pairs of SkeleToes. SkeleToes feel a lot closer to wearing a standard running shoe, but the toes do help for giving you additional traction. I like my Vibrams more, but I'm still a pretty big fan of the SkeleToes (and mine have been given a lot of use and held up just fine).

Which iteration(s) of the skeletoes do you have?

eviemaddox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eviemaddox

My son, daughter, and I all got some Skeletoes last fall and there are basically two different versions. One is a cheaper, more "beach" type shoe that falls apart. The other has more of a tennis shoe bottom that has lasted longer. The ones here are the latter. They are comfortable, but since they are worn without socks, I did have a couple of places rub blisters the first week. I have sensitive skin...

Also, they do stink if worn without socks. Duh, right?

I personally feel these are on the wider side, since they are having to accommodate for each (well, for 3) of the toes to have it's own spot. We all have narrow feet and they work fine. My son played part of his basketball season in them and actually did better with these than with basketball shoes...

thaskaman

quality posts: 15 Private Messages thaskaman
raindog61 wrote:Here's a good review:

...a good quote from this site
(yes i know TL;DNR..but it is important)

-- Start Read Now --

Allow me a brief digression on barefoot shoe design ... The Fila Skele-Toes' too stiff sole actually goes a long way to highlight something I've noticed regarding shoe design as it pertains to making shoes that allow your foot to function naturally (while still being clad in rubber/leather/whatever). What I've noticed is essentially this: the more a shoe is built to adhere closely to the entirety of your foot, the more important it is to be flexible and capable of moving dynamically with your foot. Just imagine if you put on toe shoes where the pockets were immovable — they would be seriously uncomfortable!

Conversely, more traditional shoes or even flat-soled new minimalist shoes that don't articulate toes don't have to be as flexible as toe shoes because they allow your foot some freedom to move within the shoe and separate from the sole. It's an interesting problem to try and solve — the protection of rubber soles as constrained by the required flexibility of a foot. You either build a platform shoe that allows some freedom of movement above the platform (i.e. Soft Star RunAmocs, huaraches, NB Minimus, Merrell Barefoot, Vivo Barefoot, etc.) or you go dynamic, have a flexible soled shoe that is "bound" closely to the foot like Vibram FiveFingers. Indeed, this is one of main reasons Vibram's toe shoes work: they are bound to the foot via the toe pockets (and straps to a lesser extent) but still allow foot flexibility by having non-rigid soles. The combination is a wonderful compromise that provides a great amount of dynamic movement to the foot while still layering the sole with rubber. For a much more thorough discussion on the concept of toe shoes, read on here.

Sorry for the digression, now back to your regularly scheduled review ...

The Fila Skele-Toes sole needs to be more flexible given it is designed as a foot glove. This point is perhaps best exemplified with the Skele-Toes when trying to flex/stretch out the conjoined littlest toes within their single toe pocket; basically, you try it, and the sole sorta stays put while the toes move up within the pocket (see the collage above).

-- End Read Quote Here --

Hope this helps some...cheers!

scratchspider

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scratchspider

Anyone know if these shoes are web-toe-friendly? My second and third toe are webbed up to about the second knuckle and I'm wondering if the toe tongue goes farther in than that.

endcapitalism

quality posts: 2 Private Messages endcapitalism
raindog61 wrote:Here's a good review:

That's a completely different shoe. The one on this site does not look like what everyone on this site is writing about. The shoes have significant soles. These are not minimalist shoes and cannot be compared to a Vibram product.

Woot, what is the drop (heel to toe) on these shoes?

karpat80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karpat80

I know that if I wear sneakers without socks I'm going to have some very sore feet so what do you do about socks for these sneakers?

LoFi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LoFi

Foiled by Syndactyly & Morton's toe.... I think Woot hates me today.

PyroHero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PyroHero

Woot, with savings so hardcore you'll be willing to deal with a few less toes.

crooner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crooner

On sizing, does length in inches mean your foot or the shoe????? Only time I got shoes on the net they didn't fit... not even close!!

sid3sg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sid3sg

virtuous or trail?

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark

According to the chart provided, a size 9 is larger than size 9.5. So if I am supposed to go up a size for socks, do I go up to 9.5 or to 10?

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
tsmiley08 wrote:can you wear these in the water

As far as I know all shoes can be worn in the water at least once.

photospread

quality posts: 1 Private Messages photospread

Be aware that, compared to other minimalist shoes out there, the Skeletoes have VERY stiff soles. If you really want the 'barefoot', minimalist experience I wouldn't go with these. You can just look at them and see that they have a very thick sole, especially at the heel, compared to Vibram FiveFingers or Merrell Barefoot shoes. Thick cushiony soles is the antipathy of barefoot running.

My personal opinion is that Fila is trying to cash in on the minimalist trend without actually making a minimalist shoe. I would run away (ha, that was punny!) from these and get a true minimalist shoe for running. But, if you just want to look cool with toes on your shoes, go for it.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
karpat80 wrote:I know that if I wear sneakers without socks I'm going to have some very sore feet so what do you do about socks for these sneakers?

Injiji brand.

BillyD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BillyD
dviglino wrote:So, if anyone's tried em... is the fit narrow, normal, or wide?

...in addition to the questions of if they are comfortable, help with running aches and will make me eggs in the morning.

I own a pair of these (1st generation)..not the exact same model but they have the same toe layout. They're really comfortable and at $25 you can't beat it. They seem to be of normal width. I got mine on clearance for $40 so this is a great deal.

asailorsstar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asailorsstar

My husband has had 2 pairs of skeletoes so far, and loves them.. yes that pinky toe is big enough for the pinky toe and the one beside it..

Zippy The Pinhead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Zippy The Pinhead
lichme wrote:Yes (at least I did). I purchased some of these while in Jamaica to climb a waterfall. Kept from cutting my toes, and gave me some more stability than my normal sneakers wouldn't of had.

It's 'wouldn't HAVE had'............

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

skoberlink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skoberlink
mdgore wrote:This is a cheap buy in if you want to check out these type shoes, but be aware that Fila's are cheap and plastiky (I made that word up). The msrp may be $70, but you can pick these up all the time at Big 5 and other sites for $30. I have and have had more than a few pair of Vibram Fivefingers, and they are so superior in quality to the Fila's, it's not even funny. You can pick up Vibrams here on woot! (just this week) or REI or 6pm on sale every other month it seems. you're going to pay $40 to $50 for a pair, but they are waaaay better. I would use socks, like Injinji, because it seems to keep the stink in check and make the shoes last longer. YMMV. BUT, if you're going to be wearing these type shoes, you need to start slow and build up to where you are wearing them all the time. My wife doesn't wear anything but Vibram Fivefingers (she pays full retail and doesn't care, unlike the cheapo guy I am), and I wear them 100% of the time when exercising and around 60% of the time when doing normal life. I would take the $20 and invest in some Vibrams.

I might be misunderstanding you here, but where can you find the Vibrams on woot! this week?

ghosrider99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ghosrider99

The reason that Fila integrated the last two toes is because people who were not experienced minimalist runners were breaking their little toes on trail runs with the normal Vibrams.

superspec

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superspec

In for 2 pair...worst case is they suck and only last 6 months between the 2 pair. Even then I'm at half the price of a normal pair of shoes.

Anothermind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anothermind

I think I'll pick up a pair to try out during a mud run/obstacle course. Anyone have experience with these? I see lots of people wearing vibrams, but haven't seen any skeletoes.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy

From the link at the birthday site posted by raindog60:

In my 100+ pairs of minimalist footwear tried experience, your money will be better spent on any pair of FiveFingers over the Skele-toes. Vibrams are just dramatically more dynamic, comfortable, and overall better toe shoes.

i do a fair bit of running, i've completed 3 marathons, a number of half-marathons, many events of 10 miles or less, and run 3 to 6 miles a day at least 4 days a week. i have had a few pair of vibrams and they are good for about 6 miles max before my feet start to complain.

the thing about barefoot running and minimalist shoes is most of us are running on hard pavement rather than grassy knolls, soft dirt, and sandy beaches like the Incas and that guy who went south of the border and popularized barefoot running with his book.

klutzyruth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klutzyruth

So happy to see this until I got to the - For Men - part. Boo on you Woot.