dtgoodwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtgoodwin

We have one of these that we bought last year from Costco. We have central A/C, but also a south-facing bedroom that gets very warm in the afternoon. We tried a window unit first. That was WAY too loud. This Sharp unit is so much quieter. It cools our 300 sq. ft. bedroom from 72-66 (my wife likes it cold) in 30 minutes. For those that really hate that it has one hose, many who own it don't seem to notice the plug next to the hose. Take that plug off, attach your own makeshift hose and you how have a two hose unit if you really want it. Our home is tight enough that I don't mind having a little exhaust to keep our carbon dioxide levels down (fresh air ends up coming through my mechanical room cold air feed from outside).

memnoch97

quality posts: 1 Private Messages memnoch97

Anyone know how efficient this unit is?

I can't seem to find the Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) rating or Seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) listed.

sbyers77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sbyers77
Lukeonia1 wrote:To this day, I still don't understand single-hose air conditioners.

With a dual-hose air conditioner, it draws outside air in (through a hose) to transfer the heat to and blow back outside (through another hose). This way, it works much like a conventional air conditioner, keeping the hot and cold parts totally separate.

But with a single-hose unit like this, the a/c draws in cool room air to transfer the exhaust heat to, which then gets blown outside (through the hose). The same air the unit just spent a bunch of energy cooling gets heated and blown back outside. This means warm outside air has to work its way in someplace else to replace it, making the whole endeavor terribly inefficient.

But, dual-hose air conditioners cost twice as much as single-hose units. Can they really be that much more expensive to design and build? Or is it all a big con to sell tons of cheap inefficient air conditioners, and drive up the price of the ones that actually work well?

I don't get it.

You are exactly right. It dumps some of the air it just cooled and is less efficient than a dual-hose design.

Since the air blowing over the condenser is cooler than it would be with a dual-hose design it does recapture some of that "coldness" it just worked so hard to create. So its not AS BAD as you might think.

And yes, since its only blowing air out the whole room is slightly less pressure so it sucks-in hot outside air via air leaks which in turn make it less efficient.

But that's not to say a single-hose doesn't work! They do work okay, but not nearly as well as a 2-hose. You'll probably take a 20-25% efficiency hit for the convenience of a single hose.

brum22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brum22

At 88 lbs. just exactly how "Portable" is this thing? I would like to move it from bedroom at night to office in the afternoon. I know it wont be going up and down a floor has wheels but will my wife be able to move it?

I am more concerned with how easy I can unhook the hose from one window and install it in another. I will be moving it 2x a day and I don't want it to be a hassle. Does easy install mean its easy to set up once or easy to set up multiple times. Could I just buy another window kit to make it easier to move? I couldn't find one for this unit on amazon.

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

I've owned an LC portable 11BTU a/c for 3 years. It's OK but not as efficient as a window unit. They are certainly more expensive. Single hose too.

ozziegt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ozziegt

I ordered one of these last time it was on Woot. Came with a broken wheel. Sharp sent me a new one, but it was kind of a pain. We don't move ours but I would be careful when moving it, seems like the wheels might not be strong enough to hold such a heavy unit.

ozziegt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ozziegt
brum22 wrote:At 88 lbs. just exactly how "Portable" is this thing? I would like to move it from bedroom at night to office in the afternoon. I know it wont be going up and down a floor has wheels but will my wife be able to move it?

I am more concerned with how easy I can unhook the hose from one window and install it in another. I will be moving it 2x a day and I don't want it to be a hassle. Does easy install mean its easy to set up once or easy to set up multiple times. Could I just buy another window kit to make it easier to move? I couldn't find one for this unit on amazon.

You are supposed to screw the plate into the window frame. I would never do that to my window, so I just close the window on it. But that is something to keep in mind about this unit.

Woody1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Woody1

Buy 2 then you don't have to move anything. Buy 3 and save on shipping and spare this coming up on the next woot-off

brum22 wrote:At 88 lbs. just exactly how "Portable" is this thing? I would like to move it from bedroom at night to office in the afternoon. I know it wont be going up and down a floor has wheels but will my wife be able to move it?

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

JSNash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JSNash
foodizmurder wrote:Don't buy these. They generate so much heat, and the exhaust hose ends up being a giant radiator. Sure, you exhaust out the window, but so much heat escapes into your house before it gets there. I had one as close to the window as humanly possible to minimize the amount of heat these generate, and it STILL didn't cool our small living room. It still uses a window, but is worse and more expensive than a window unit. Don't waste your money.

I agree. I had one, and the heat from the exhaust hose at the rear was a near equal offset to the cool air blowing out the front.

johnfernandes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnfernandes

Emptying the drainpan is a pain in the butt. Otherwise, its a nice unit.

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle

Of course you only have to empty the drain pan if you can't run the drain line out the window or wherever you vent the hot air. Since I use my garage as a de facto rec room I use this unit to cool my garage in very humid Virginia and it works great. I can cool a 2 car garage to a comfortable temperature in about 40 minutes.

GreatJorge

quality posts: 29 Private Messages GreatJorge

Everything You Wanted to Know about Portable ACs

I've had portable ACs for quite a few years now.

THE BOTTOM LINE: Use them ONLY in a room where a window unit is IMPOSSIBLE. They don't come close to performing like a window unit but they work better than NO AC at all. All window units beat portable units: in cost, maintenance, space used, etc

Details:

- "Portable" is a misnomer. Unless you consider disassembling the window kit, relocating the hose(s) and rolling the unit portable.

- They DONT block your windows but consume a fair amount of space. Think unit plus hose(s) plus space from window (or exhaust) to unit. They take a fair amount of space. Moving them slightly doesn't work well because it disloges the hoses.

- Think clothes-dryer hoses.The hoses are around 3 inches in diameter.

- Consider buying or making a blanket for the exhaust pipe - otherwise you have a radiator behind your AC.

- Single hose units are NOT a good idea. Double hose units take even more space.

- They are finicky and in my experience less reliable than window units. If you buy more than one, expect to have to exchange at least one of the them.

I have two in use because those two rooms (one a theater in the basement) do NOT lend themselves to window units. Although they have been in use for several years, they both have had to be replaced: one was DOA and the other died within a month. Both were brand new. Both are double hosed.

ptedrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptedrow
icemanforlife wrote:Why is it more expensive? You sold it in the past for $219 http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5095499

Anyone have this portable air conditioner?

I bought it last time for $249, had it out this weekend in Seattle for a little bit. Mostly to check it out, 80 is pretty warm for Seattle in May. Seems fine to me.

rickfi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickfi

I live in Canada (where you don't ship), so you are sending it to an address I have in Washington State. Why are you charging me taxes?

sucker4crap

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sucker4crap

Woot's Amazon staff sees the weather forecast and knows what weather wimps we are in Seattle, so they put this up on the first 80 degree week in Seattle's May days... Well played Woot, well played.

lunacite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lunacite
rickfi wrote:I live in Canada (where you don't ship), so you are sending it to an address I have in Washington State. Why are you charging me taxes?

Woot is owned by Amazon which is a Washington based company, and has to charge tax on purchases made in WA.

mcdade7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdade7

Product kept tripping the breaker. Had an electrician come out and he said there was something wrong with the portable A/C unit. He said it was a fire hazard in its current condition

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

mcdade7 wrote:Product kept tripping the breaker. Had an electrician come out and he said there was something wrong with the portable A/C unit. He said it was a fire hazard in its current condition

sorry for the inconvenience. be sure to email Support@Woot.com and let them know what happened.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.