mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
leilana80 wrote:You really can't knock it until you try it! It sounds like a gimmick but in reality, it's actually pretty nifty.
We got these as gifts a year or so ago, and they work exactly as advertised.
Unfortunately my husband lost ours- I'm thinking about getting some more to get me through the labor of kid #2 here in the next few weeks.
Also really nice to have on hand if you have hot flashes

Congrats on impending kid # 2!

njoiner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages njoiner

We couldn't keep these in stock at the farm supply store where I work. I used mine while doing yard work until my son, a concrete contractor, latched on to it. He then bought one for each of his crew (@ $30 ea). They definitely are not a gimmick and are great for anyone working outdoors. I'm in for 3, and maybe I'll get to hold on to one.

wenpjones

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wenpjones

I am getting 2 packs of these. I have two wussy kids going to marching band camp. In July. In Georgia. Hope it keeps them from having a heat stroke.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

In a month they'll have knock-offs in the dollar stores.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

RaisinROM

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM
HughHemington wrote:At 16.5" x 24", they aren't large enough to cover your head and even your neck! Why so small?
And if they're supposed to be used like a Saudi head thingie, why no snaps or headband or anything?

Not much thought went into this product.

I wouldn't have labeled them LARGE either !

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

mdickinson

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mdickinson

OK, so I buy the idea that having a wet towel around your neck helps keep you cool. And from the comments above, it seems that everyone who has tried this, has liked it... So I'm in.

But I'm looking hard at the product picture, and this looks an awful lot like the "ShamWow"s that I got a couple years ago. Those were another item that was
- very useful
- worked as advertised
- you didn't know you needed it til you had one - then you found it super useful
- super high profit margin (selling a dollar's worth of material for $20 because it's "super" and "made in Germany."
- once it became popular, knock-off products (probably equally effective) hit the market at 1/2 the cost

My question is: is there something magic about this material? Or, if it's just a spongy towel that's super absorbent, and gets hard when dry... can I just wet an 18"x24" piece of ShamWow and hang it around my neck?

ozmom2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozmom2

I'm in for three and really hoping I made the right decision.

Headed to DisneyWorld in August.

(yes, freakin' August. Not my choice as the resort stay was a charity auction win)

Ordered enough for the whole family. If these towels work, it could add a bit of extra park time to our day and decrease the amount of heat-related crankiness.

TheCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCK
monkeylice wrote:If you watch the video, it makes sense. It makes further sense if you google the product and see that it was made with golfers in mind.

I've played golf courses in Palm Springs in August and this would be extremely useful there. We would soak towels in ice water and just drape them over our head or neck while waiting for our turn to tee off. Made the difference between heat stroke and finishing the round, for me.

Wow so they were designed with fat guys standing around in the sun in mind - wonder if they would have actually worked better for something useful had they used I dunno someone doing something in the heat like a sport or something when they designed them.....

--TheCK

sirdugforth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirdugforth

Is this really just a large Sammy towel like the kind divers use to dry off?

sssprinkle

quality posts: 17 Private Messages sssprinkle
TheCK wrote:Wow so they were designed with fat guys standing around in the sun in mind - wonder if they would have actually worked better for something useful had they used I dunno someone doing something in the heat like a sport or something when they designed them.....

Well I hate to be presumptuous but speaking for all overweight golfers let me say "Ouch!". However, as an individual overweight golfer let me also say "In for 1!".

Strick28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Strick28

It is same material like chamois or the absorber which makes a fine drying cloth for vehicles. Of course one can save themselves some cash and buy a pack of regular towels and wet them as needed. Same evaporative cooling effect and it will depend on heat and humidity as to how fast they will dry out just like these. We have been doing this for years on our bike trips.

mdickinson wrote:OK, so I buy the idea that having a wet towel around your neck helps keep you cool. And the comments above show that everyone who has tries this, has liked it.

I'm looking hard at the product picture and this looks an awful lot like the "ShamWow"s that I got a couple years ago. Those were another item that was
- very useful
- worked as advertised
- didn't know you needed it til you had one
- super high profit margin (selling a dollar's worth f material for $20 because it's "super" and "made in Germany."

My question is: is there something magic about this material? Or, if it's absorbent, and gets hard when dry... Can I just wet an 18"x24" piece of ShamWow and hang it around my neck?

maeder

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maeder

If your summers are very humid - and they can be up the east coast these will not be effective. The cooling effect is based on the rate of evaporation - when water vapor goes from a wetter to a drier place. So indoors maybe if the air is relatively dry to start with.

from http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/evaporative.html

Probably because evaporative coolers add moisture to the air and blow it around, they are sometimes knows as "swamp coolers." Evaporative coolers can work wonderfully well, provided the outside air they are drawing in is dry and desert-like. As the humidity increases, however, the ability for them to cool the air effectively decreases. Simply put, swamp coolers were not designed to work in swamp-like conditions.

circusninja

quality posts: 8 Private Messages circusninja

My wife went to woot, and all I got was a set of cooling towels.

jpitt57488

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jpitt57488

All the kids had something like this (Frog Toggs?) when my son played football. It is basically just like one of the synthetic chamois you use to dry your car.

Personally, I found it useless for keeping you cool. It was better than nothing, but a cooler full ice water with some dish rags works far better. They really soak up water well...so all the water moves to the inside in a short time and it just feels like a clammy luke warm piece of rubber on your skin.

To be fair, I suppose if you are out running or whatever and you cant carry around a cooler full of water this might work better. However, at football my son (and his hot sisters) far preferred a wet rag.

kane968

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kane968
beardgod wrote:Ironically we sold some similar towels this weekend at our daughter's soccer game to fundraise for her club team (sold 30 of them in 2 hours for $25/2). Most of the girls also ordered them for themselves. Gotta say, I was impressed...they really were nice and cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcXZATyz1w

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman

As a really hoopy frood, one can never have too many towel types, proceeding one always knows where one's is.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

pitamuffin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin
wenpjones wrote:I am getting 2 packs of these. I have two wussy kids going to marching band camp. In July. In Georgia. Hope it keeps them from having a heat stroke.

Hey, thanks for the idea. My kid does marching band camp over the summer, too. His doctor just told me he sees more kids in the summer that pass out at marching band than from football. Who knew?! We'll give these towels a shot.

cbran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cbran
piewarmer wrote:I wonder how effective these are as compared to the gel-filled neck coolers. I hike a lot and I'm really heat sensitive so am always looking for something to help keep me from overheating on the trail.

Much more effective for a longer period. This works on evaporative cooling of the moisture in the towel. It is even more effective in dry regions.

cbran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cbran
piewarmer wrote:I wonder how effective these are as compared to the gel-filled neck coolers. I hike a lot and I'm really heat sensitive so am always looking for something to help keep me from overheating on the trail.

Much more effective. They work on evaporative cooling. They are much more effective in dryer climates.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
wenpjones wrote:I am getting 2 packs of these. I have two wussy kids going to marching band camp. In July. In Georgia. Hope it keeps them from having a heat stroke.

First, way to be supportive of your own kids.
Second, having had college experience in the University of Michigan Marching Band, I can assure you there is nothing wussy about marching while carrying a 10 lb piece of metal and using your lungs to play at the same time. The "band nerd" is a movie stereotype, they are athletes.

RadarRon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RadarRon
Imagine4vr wrote:wonder how fast they'll dry out in the desert

I'll let you know, I am working in Iraq.

RadarRon

RKett wrote:First, way to be supportive of your own kids.
Second, having had college experience in the University of Michigan Marching Band, I can assure you there is nothing wussy about marching while carrying a 10 lb piece of metal and using your lungs to play at the same time. The "band nerd" is a movie stereotype, they are athletes.

This one time at Band Camp.....

RadarRon

bmrbill wrote:2 customer reviews at Amazon.

only $9.20 at Amazon

pitamuffin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin
RadarRon wrote:only $9.20 at Amazon

Looks like that's only one towel, not a two-pack.

Revert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Revert

I use these at the gym. I wanted to find something like what I used back in my springboard diving days, so I found these large shammies. They work really well, and help keep you cool and dry, The only issue is if you are sweating into them a lot, you'll want to give them a wash every other time you use them, they can build up a smell.

edith1

quality posts: 15 Private Messages edith1

I have had a similar product in the past and yes it worked amazing... but... I think I did something wrong with storage. It said to keep it moist, but it got moldy and we had to toss it. I bet I should have just let it hang dry each time

billthegunowner

quality posts: 13 Private Messages billthegunowner

"RealXGear Cooling Towel keeps you 20 degrees cooler than the outdoor ambient temperature."

Wouldn't that make your body temperature dangerously low?

Bill

fuwano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuwano
billthegunowner wrote:"RealXGear Cooling Towel keeps you 20 degrees cooler than the outdoor ambient temperature."

Lowering your local skin temp won't have much of an effect on your core body temp in hot weather.

realtimshady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realtimshady
billthegunowner wrote:"RealXGear Cooling Towel keeps you 20 degrees cooler than the outdoor ambient temperature."

Well yeah, if you interpret that literally. But dangerously cold is well beyond uncomfortably cold, and a reasonable person would remove the towel before they get to that point.

Plus you know, skin temp <> core temp

It's a clever application of science, not magic.

buggsy2

quality posts: 8 Private Messages buggsy2

Washington State is buying these?!

dwmq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwmq

I was wondering if anyone has tried these towels while sitting out in the sun? Either over a beach chair or water-proof beach blanket.

schorert

quality posts: 4 Private Messages schorert

I love these towels! I use these daily in my outdoor shower, they dry you off instantly. I take them camping, I sometimes take them on trips as they weigh nothing and come in very handy. In for two

perrinaybara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perrinaybara
dvaamco wrote:"Material Content: 100% PVC"
OK, PVC is what plastic plumbing pipes are made of. HOWEVER, check out the fashion statement you could make by stitching a few of these babies together: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/87/Men%27s_black_PVC_pants_01.jpg/450px-Men%27s_black_PVC_pants_01.jpg

Lol, smexy!...except that it's PVA, not PVC.

Anyway, my buddy uses one of these when we play tennis. He cut his up to use them as cooling wristbands. I use them all the time, too. They are pretty awesome.

For this price, I can afford to get a couple to experiment with! Woot-Woot!

socalwoman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages socalwoman

Can anyone compare these to The Enduracool Cooling Towels sold last month?
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/mission-nba-enduracool-cooling-towel-4

Seize the Carp!

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
mdickinson wrote:OK, so I buy the idea that having a wet towel around your neck helps keep you cool. And from the comments above, it seems that everyone who has tried this, has liked it... So I'm in.

But I'm looking hard at the product picture, and this looks an awful lot like the "ShamWow"s that I got a couple years ago. Those were another item that was

My question is: is there something magic about this material? Or, if it's just a spongy towel that's super absorbent, and gets hard when dry... can I just wet an 18"x24" piece of ShamWow and hang it around my neck?

I don't think they are the same as those sham-w0ws, since these seem to be composed of fibers with large surface areas to promote high evaporation rate.

I don't think I ever grabbed one of those magic chamois and thought they felt especially cool.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
Revert wrote:I use these at the gym. I wanted to find something like what I used back in my springboard diving days, so I found these large shammies. They work really well, and help keep you cool and dry, The only issue is if you are sweating into them a lot, you'll want to give them a wash every other time you use them, they can build up a smell.

Do they keep you cool when your core is generating heat like aerobic exercise , or only good at keeping you comfortable when you are just sitting around and pumping 1ron?

edith1 wrote:I have had a similar product in the past and yes it worked amazing... but... I think I did something wrong with storage. It said to keep it moist, but it got moldy and we had to toss it. I bet I should have just let it hang dry each time

I was afraid of this. If I use it for exercise frequently, I can't just wring and re-use it, I would have to keep a big batch of them around. Plus, I can't just toss them into the laundry hamper while it is still wet, or else it would just get moldy.

damorere

quality posts: 9 Private Messages damorere

I coach Special Olympics Track & Field and took what looks to be this exact brand of these to State Games last year - where it was scorching hot. They made a HUGE difference. Many of our athletes are heat sensitive and these cooled them down pretty fast. They feel cooler than just a wet towel and hold the cold longer. If I can find anything else to buy today, I will probably get 3 more sets.

hopz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hopz

i just bought 2 but i was charged 11.26% in sales tax? i thought it's only 9% for CA.

billj357

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billj357

Well, I jumped in and bought a couple. Liking to be out in the desert here, they have to help.
Now---this may be my LAST Woot order----Apparently we are getting charged TAX TAX TAX also, along with the shipping.......

[b]BillJ357[b/]

dougaloo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dougaloo

I've used these and the microfiber towels. I prefer the microfiber because they are easier to wring out - less rubbery resistance. And as for cooling action, the microfiber towels, with lots of fine fibers to add lots of surface area for evaporation, are superior for cooling.