12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3023 Private Messages lichme

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Look, my triangle baby with three eyes and six noodly appendages loves your Windows 8 computer, which is a glowing endorsement.

/into the N'th dimension
/RIP Ray Bradbury

EDIT:
Wow, I saw it go from 5 posts to 3 posts and had to scurry to see if mine was still here.

/shock'd

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3664 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A few great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at amazon

yankee725

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yankee725

Where is everyone? I've never been the first sucker before - is there something someone's not telling me????

yankee725

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yankee725

I like my avatar. Thanks, Woot!

g7997g

quality posts: 1 Private Messages g7997g

I own this. It's fine. I'm typing this on it right now. Screen is big and bright. It's planted on my desk, so I'm not concerned about the weight.

The keys are spaced far apart, which is actually mildly annoying. As in, there's space in between the keys that your finger can go into instead of hitting the key. Never seen that before on a keyboard, let alone a laptop keyboard.

What else.. oh yeah. It's garbage for videogaming. That's fine. It's my work computer.

Windows 8 is total garbage. The default music player takes 45 seconds to load, then tries to get me to buy music.

I've learned to work around Windows 8 for the most part. Truecrypt doesn't have W8 support on this computer, so beware if that's your encryption solution.

Doesn't pump out a lot of heat, and the fan is silent.

For a dirt cheap laptop, what can you complain about?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

yankee725 wrote:Where is everyone? I've never been the first sucker before - is there something someone's not telling me????

Congrats?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Catawaba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Catawaba

No brainer. Each of my previous HP laptops have worked just fine for over 5 years; all of which were refurbs.

What was I thinking?

Kankennon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kankennon

I got the Mrs. the 8 gig version of this for Christmas and it works like a champ--once you can get by the awfulness that is Windows 8 that is. I never thought they'd make an OS more annoying than whichever one introduced Clippy the Paperclip, but they did!

johndickson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johndickson

Just re-format and load copy of Windows 7......I did.

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
Catawaba wrote:No brainer. Each of my previous HP laptops have worked just fine for over 5 years; all of which were refurbs.

Both of mine developed problems that were consistently documented in the community that HP refused to address or fix. No more HPs for me.

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
johndickson wrote:Just re-format and load copy of Windows 7......I did.

Windows 8 is fine. I just added a start menu replacement to get rid of the tiles and now I have what is basically a windows 7 desktop on boot every time.

http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

When BestBuy had this in stock, it was $369.99 for refurb vs. $329.99 tonight.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP---Pavilion-17.3%26%2334%3B-Refurbished-Laptop---4GB-Memory---500GB-Hard-Drive---Sparkling-Black/8873074.p?id=1218924792631&skuId=8873074

There are a lot of videos for the G7, but I can't find the exact model to compare with.

jrhusc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jrhusc

In the specs: "Touchpad supporting multi-touch gestures with on/off button"

I won't get Windows 8 unless I can use the actual touch screen interface. That way I can make a decision about the OS.

I found a decent little one with touch screen for about $350 at Amazon. I'd seen it for around $499 at BJ Wholesale. So I picked it up. I posted the deal, but it got no love and now is back to $419.

und3adrobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages und3adrobot

Windows 8 doesn't suck. I use it on my desktop at home and, while it takes some time to get used to all of the mouse controls, it is just fine for my desktop. The new start menu is very useful and, with a mouse, you go to the same place to get to it, the bottom left corner of the screen. The tiles are convenient for programs I use regularly. If I need something not on a tile, I just start typing what I want on the keyboard and there it is.

Windows 8 isn't going away. Microsoft spent too much time and money on this to just drop it and try to go back to the Windows 7 design. It will be easier for most to upgrade to the new OS and adapt now instead of waiting for years when Microsoft finally drops Windows 7 support.

dantose

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dantose

I'm typing on one right now. As has been said, it's crap for games, but run everything else like a champ thus far. Battery life is decent, display is nice and bright, the function keys default to the computer controls rather than the F# keys, but that's what I use more often anyway. I occasionally have issues with it trying to connect via an outdated IP address on resume, but it's only on my home network so I'm not sure if it's the computer's fault or my router.

I'm always serious.

mlang1020

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mlang1020

In for one. Looks like a great deal. Would have like to wait a little bit longer before purchasing but with state tax coming soon, did it now.

ECP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ECP

I have a HP similar to this with win8 for work. To be honest, while it is pretty snappy and has a few convenient bits it really doesn't even come close to my gaming pc with windows 7 for me. Outside of work I have a windows 7 desktop for gaming/media center/graphic design and use my $200 chrome book for woot and dicking around on the web. Now if you guys wanted to get some chromebooks on here I'd have to open a few extra accounts so I could get one for everyone in my family.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, feel free to open up a thread in World of Woot or Everything but Woot to chat about Windows 8 but let's focus on the computer in this thread.

I think we've beat the Windows 8 drum enough in the product threads for a while.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

AudreyIWH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AudreyIWH

Wooters, I have a question. I need a laptop I can play on the pogo website & install office suite. Is this the laptop for me?

ameighc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ameighc

This is a solid deal. I fix/rebuild PC's quite frequently for extra money and am sending this link to three people off the top of my head right now who are on the market for new Windows based laptops. The specs are tight and like others have mentioned, you're only a few quick tweaks away from making Windows 8 look and function just like Windows 7 if you so desire.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

I bought a Lenovo refurb from Woot and love it. Have no fear in buying a refurb. I was considering getting this for my daughter until I saw Windows 8.

Bill

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver

This is a good deal. I just bought a Dell 17.3" a few weeks ago for about twice as much. I'm not sure how heavy this laptop is but my Dell is a beast, nearly 7lbs. Its heavy, so the weight is just something to keep in mind.

kozynferg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kozynferg

Does anyone know what the memory setup is?

How many slots?

How filled?

greetrob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greetrob

For $40 more you get a new one at Bestbuy.com!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&rainbows=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&saas=saas&st=HP+Pavilion+G7-2340DX

anilpillai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anilpillai
greetrob wrote:For $40 more you get a new one at Bestbuy.com!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&rainbows=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&saas=saas&st=HP+Pavilion+G7-2340DX

No, that is a refurbished model at BB.

pergatory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pergatory

I'm sick of repairing my friends' HP laptops after they break. Sometimes it's the hard drive, sometimes it's the motherboard, sometimes it's all the bloatware they load on the computer before they give it to you. Avoid at all costs. There's a reason these things are dirt cheap.

lisalex

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lisalex
g7997g wrote:
Windows 8 is total garbage. The default music player takes 45 seconds to load, then tries to get me to buy music.

I actually like windows 8.

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver
lisalex wrote:I actually like windows 8.

It took a few days to get used to but I like it as well. People just don't like change.

Doomjason

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doomjason

Sure, what the heck...

galbinuscaeli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galbinuscaeli

Bought the version of this from last summer. All in all an excellent laptop. With two caveats:

1) no bluetooth. You need to plug in a $1 dongle that's always lost at the bottom of your laptop bag, or maybe in the couch cushions. Damn, I hope the dog didn't eat it.

2) slow wifi. 802.11g. That means 72mbs transfers even if your AP supports 300. Kind of sucks.

Other than that, the darn thing is great! (Oh, I make no comment about the included OS, I deleted that the day I got the laptop.)

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
galbinuscaeli wrote:Bought the version of this from last summer. All in all an excellent laptop. With two caveats:

1) no bluetooth. You need to plug in a $1 dongle that's always lost at the bottom of your laptop bag, or maybe in the couch cushions. Damn, I hope the dog didn't eat it.

2) slow wifi. 802.11g. That means 72mbs transfers even if your AP supports 300. Kind of sucks.

Other than that, the darn thing is great! (Oh, I make no comment about the included OS, I deleted that the day I got the laptop.)

@galbinuscaeli, regarding wifi, if you're talking about your older HP laptop having only wifi g, 'not sure how that applies here.

This laptop claims in the specs to have wifi n.

If there's a network issue, it's that it does not appear to have gigabit LAN. But most folks probably use wifi anyway.

daneballard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daneballard

For the record... windows * really is TERRIBLE. and you will tear out your hair as it is constantly getting in your way, rather than doing what you want it to do. It's design for touch screens and clunky as all get out when you are not using a touch screen. However... There are several programs you can download to that push all the obnoxious features to the back... and Microsoft said that in the next update theyd be doing soemthing similar... so go ahead... get the laptop... just be prepared to find some other software first before it's very usable.

kdar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdar
kozynferg wrote:Does anyone know what the memory setup is?

How many slots?

How filled?

I bought the 640 GB hard drive version of this model from Woot. It has one 4 gig stick and a spare slot. It can handle up to 8.

I don't understand people's complaints about gaming on this machine, however. I play SW:TOR on mine (granted, at pretty medium graphic settings), and it works great. If I upgraded to 8 gigs of memory, I think it would play much better.

rroberto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rroberto
und3adrobot wrote:Windows 8 doesn't suck. I use it on my desktop at home and, while it takes some time to get used to all of the mouse controls, it is just fine for my desktop. The new start menu is very useful and, with a mouse, you go to the same place to get to it, the bottom left corner of the screen. The tiles are convenient for programs I use regularly. If I need something not on a tile, I just start typing what I want on the keyboard and there it is.

Windows 8 isn't going away. Microsoft spent too much time and money on this to just drop it and try to go back to the Windows 7 design. It will be easier for most to upgrade to the new OS and adapt now instead of waiting for years when Microsoft finally drops Windows 7 support.

Actually, not only was Win8 cobbled together to target touch screens so they could have one OS that covered the tablet and PC, it IS going away... at least they already announced the return of the start button and start bar for the next OS.

Industry is either still hesitant from Vista or for the most part recently switched from XP to Win7... thus business share of win8 is miniscule and will stay that way.
Unless you have a touch screen PC, there's little sense in upgrading from Win7, even if you've gotten used to it with a mouse - the features it is promoted for are moot without touch screen capability.

rdefulio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdefulio

RE: Windows 8. Its annoying but not really an issue when you can install a free, open source, shell replacement like http://www.classicshell.net/ that makes it work just like Windows 7 (or XP if you prefer). Windows 8 on equivalent hardware performs better than Windows 7, so there is more to Win8 than just a terrible user interface. Also all the "non WinRT" versions of stuff are still included (like Windows Photo Viewer) and you can easily change your default program from the clunky WinRT version to the ones everyone liked in Win7. So if you're staying away from this computer because its Win8, or the hassle it would be to wipe it and put Win7 on it, I say take a few moments to tweak Win8 and see if you can live with it.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, feel free to open up a thread in World of Woot or Everything but Woot to chat about Windows 8 but let's focus on the computer in this thread.

I think we've beat the Windows 8 drum enough in the product threads for a while.

@TT, apparently nobody is listening!

ptleung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptleung

Does anyone know the warranty on this refurb, and who it is provided by? I've had refurb desktops warranted by HP, and they were great, even making a house call. How long is this warranted, and again, by who(m)?

ptleung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptleung

Oh yes, for those with experience with refurbed laptops, are the batteries generally in good condition, or might they arrived having been mis-used, and thus have shorter life between charges, etc.?