Schaeffer20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Schaeffer20

Alright, just placed order. Don't fail me HP!

channond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages channond
pergatory wrote:I'm sick of repairing my friends' HP laptops after they break. Sometimes it's the hard drive, sometimes it's the motherboard, sometimes it's all the bloatware they load on the computer before they give it to you. Avoid at all costs. There's a reason these things are dirt cheap.

What kind would you suggest? My 3 yo Samsung woot refurb is losing it's mind and I fear it will throw in the towel any day.

channond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages channond
ptleung wrote:Oh yes, for those with experience with refurbed laptops, are the batteries generally in good condition, or might they arrived having been mis-used, and thus have shorter life between charges, etc.?

We have two in our household. One did need a new battery.

bkolson6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkolson6

In for one. Seems sufficient for generic family computing and that's all we're going to need it for.

wrightpwx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wrightpwx

Just returned an HP refurb desktop recently purchased on Woot. Unit died after 2 days of loading/ transferring files. Windows 8 will be weird until "Blue" comes out. No more HP refurbs for me. Woot was great on the return process however. Caveat emptor

sdorn72659

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdorn72659

Run away, HP's have problems with overheating just past the warrantee period. There is a reason they have had so many presidents in the last 5 years, they cut quality for profits but its to far gone. The once great product company builds crap, and with windows 8 its a bigger pile of crap.

Audioman1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Audioman1

So if you were going to buy a new 17" laptop what one would you buy? and no Apple since I don't need to relearn a new OS at my age.

nollert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nollert

I own 4 HP computers - all work great. One portable went bad after 5 years but it was due.

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30
pergatory wrote:I'm sick of repairing my friends' HP laptops after they break. Sometimes it's the hard drive, sometimes it's the motherboard, sometimes it's all the bloatware they load on the computer before they give it to you. Avoid at all costs. There's a reason these things are dirt cheap.

Couldn't agree more. I have a friend's HP on my workbench right now awaiting a new LCD screen. I recently had to replace a MoBo on my niece's. I'd stick with Lenovo's or even Toshiba's any day over HP.

scarredwithstars

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarredwithstars

A) We get it, nobody cares whether or not you like Win8, it's clearly defined in the specs, so anyone thinking about buying this already knows.

B) I think the whole hoopla about "always fixing HPs" is just due to the sheer market saturation they have. The majority of people will say they have had nothing but good experiences, and any bad ones were normal issues all computers have (keep in mind the parts everyone complains about are used in all sorts of brands)

C) Anyone who has used one of these, or on similar, have any experience with using it as a media center?

I am thinking about buying one, mainly because I want a cheap laptop with an HDMI output that I can run HD videos through over the network.

ZealotFX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZealotFX

So much hate for HP and 8 on here...

HP is the most popular brand, thus its also commonly seen needing repairs. Competitors like Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba will have similar qualities (above acer and gateway).

Win 8's shell does take getting used to but just replace the default program settings to desktop apps and you will love it, it boots in 1/3 the time of 7 and performs better too.

Noone has mentioned AMD's A series APU, which are a mix of GPU and CPU, so you could get better gaming performance out of it (especially dx11) than any pure Intel board/CPU, as well as better battery life, at the cost of computing power. Most users won't see the CPU drawback but will benefit from the graphical performance.

roxellen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roxellen

HP has always been good to me, couldn't pass this up!

tatsel62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tatsel62

I hooked but will I need MS office etc which is my real need or will their cloud 360 provide my suite needs!?

tatsel62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tatsel62

I just need a laptop my company will not budget for all the note taking from all the F++++++ng MBAs who assume that is the solution and flush the info from the desktop. Sigh... no anger here.... so web portal access without the MS apps is the way to go?

Seward93

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Seward93

Windows 8 but who cares? Did you hear, Linux is replacing Windows on the International Space Station? They announced they are going from XP to Linux Debian 6.

don8woot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages don8woot

i bought this at the last minute on an impulse, but if I receive a marked-up refurb, i will blister Woot on all social media...and these randomly assigned icons are stupid

marquis1photo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marquis1photo

Looking forward to getting this tomorrow in the mail. I had an HP before did me ok for 2 years.

Will have to update the ram and get a (maybe)generic battery but looking forward to this.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

roxellen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roxellen
marquis1photo wrote:Looking forward to getting this tomorrow in the mail. I had an HP before did me ok for 2 years.

Will have to update the ram and get a (maybe)generic battery but looking forward to this.

Yours has already shipped? I envy you, I've been staring at my Gmail waiting for the shipping notification

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

roxellen wrote:Yours has already shipped? I envy you, I've been staring at my Gmail waiting for the shipping notification

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't received a notification yet, but please check your PM's as I have sent you information regarding the tracing of your purchase.

firefox91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firefox91

I got shipping confirmation a couple of hours ago. Should be here on Wednesday. This will be my first Win8 machine. I will give it a chance. If it sucks that bad, I have options.

bkolson6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkolson6

Mine will be here today. Very exciting.

rotaryboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rotaryboy

Laptop received...very nice indeed. Lighter than anticipated and the finish is quite nice. I cannot tell this is a refurb, barring the label on the box. Well worth the money in my opinion. Win8 will take some getting used to.

rachel999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel999

Just received opened it up plugged it in booted it up, got a page that is titled "License Terms". Neither the touchpad or the arrow buttons are working. Double tapped the "On/off" button on the touchpad multiple times.

Can anyone help me out?

edit: tab key works, and arrows, but how can I select a box to "accept terms"? Enter does nothing, touchpad does nothing

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

rachel999 wrote:Just received opened it up plugged it in booted it up, got a page that is titled "License Terms". Neither the touchpad or the arrow buttons are working. Double tapped the "On/off" button on the touchpad multiple times.

Can anyone help me out?

edit: tab key works, and arrows, but how can I select a box to "accept terms"? Enter does nothing, touchpad does nothing

hmm. maybe a member of our community will have a suggestion. i would consider contacting HP to get some assistance with this.

you can always email Support@Woot.com for additional help.
hopefully it gets resolved quickly!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

rachel999

PemberDucky wrote:hmm. maybe a member of our community will have a suggestion. i would consider contacting HP to get some assistance with this.

you can always email Support@Woot.com for additional help.
hopefully it gets resolved quickly!

I managed to use the keyboard to get past the license screen, but my touchpad is definitely not working. Any help?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rachel999 wrote:I managed to use the keyboard to get past the license screen, but my touchpad is definitely not working. Any help?

The warranty is through HP so you can contact them. Or as mentioned above, you can email support@woot.com for options. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

firefox91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firefox91

I got my laptop in today. So far, so good. No problems. I said I would give Win8 a chance, and I am. But so far I find it frustrating. It's like driving a car where all the controls were moved around from their normal places. Didn't take long to find and install Classic Shell to get the Start menu back and restore my sanity.

rotaryboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rotaryboy
rachel999 wrote:I managed to use the keyboard to get past the license screen, but my touchpad is definitely not working. Any help?

Is the tiny orange light to the left of touchpad illuminated? If so it's disabled. Double tap the indention on touchpad to toggle it on/off.

natecow02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natecow02

Got mine in the mail, and wouldn't you know it but the screen is cracked.

HP says it's not covered in the warranty. $200 and a two week wait to fix it. No thanks.

Buyer beware I guess.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

natecow02 wrote:Got mine in the mail, and wouldn't you know it but the screen is cracked.

HP says it's not covered in the warranty. $200 and a two week wait to fix it. No thanks.

Buyer beware I guess.

Yes that is covered under warranty if it arrived that way.

Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

thedonna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedonna

Got this in the mail today with a cracked screen! Is there no inspection prior to shipping?

rachel999

rotaryboy wrote:Is the tiny orange light to the left of touchpad illuminated? If so it's disabled. Double tap the indention on touchpad to toggle it on/off.

Nope, and double tapping did nothing(finger, pencil point...). Even if the touchpad was off, wouldn't there be a pointer on screen somewhere?

I'm just asking to be more informed since I returned it and am waiting for Woot to confirm receipt by refunding.