quality posts: 2680 Private Messages lichme

Item: Shun Edo 9pc Block Set
Price: $469.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

jenniferspaws

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jenniferspaws

74% off is a steal, right? Ugh...not when the starting price was $1,840.00. If these ARE superior knives I am sure the $470 is a great deal, but FAR too rich for THIS mother of four.

nflaum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nflaum

I know they're by Shun but they're not even forged, right?

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
jenniferspaws wrote:74% off is a steal, right? Ugh...not when the starting price was $1,840.00. If these ARE superior knives I am sure the $470 is a great deal, but FAR too rich for THIS mother of four.

Amazon sells this for $535 everyday but is currently out of stock

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TV Chef Chris Consentino shows us how to use the utility knife

agent1atl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agent1atl

Amazon is out of stock because they only stock one at a time on this item.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy

The handles on the Edo series are a little bigger/fatter than some of the other lines. If you like a bit thicker handle, then you might like these.

rolland424

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rolland424

Best knives ever!

You will immediately begin cooking with elite skills more powerful than even the Great Chef, Gordon Ramsey!

toottoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages toottoot

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

I do own several Shun knives and with the exception of my deba I like them just fine. My results with the Shuns has not been any better then with the Ginsu sets I also purchased on Woot I do think this offering at this price price is aimed at the knife snobs.I guess if you have that kind of money to throw down you should go ahead and indulge yourself. As to the video, I also own a tomato knife that cuts perfect slices that I bought at the 99 cent only store.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

pbh187

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbh187

And I was just getting tired of $500 tv's when all of a sudden BOOM! $470 knife set. Way to go woot.

dsmegst

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsmegst

I love my Shun kitchen cutlery. The utility knife is odd looking but the rest are all useful. I paid $270 for a set of 3 and if I didn't already have a few, I would seriously consider these.

All Shuns are forged and VG-10 is still a better steel than those found in most other "premium" knives. Certainly better than anything the Chinese can manage.

I don't recommend them if you're not comfortable with hand sharpening to a very acute angles. They have very thin profile towards the cutting edge. It would be a crime to subject them to a electric sharpener, or heaven forbid, a pull through sharpener.

Ailetoile

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Ailetoile

Nitpicky grammar time:

Every aspect, from the shape of the blade to the way the handle fits snugly into the users hand, has been designed for superlative comfort and control.

Users should be user's.

garyoa1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1

If you go thru a few dozen cheaper knives you'll still have only paid a fraction of this price. And you wouldn't have had to sharpen them even once.

I really, really, really miss woot! ...Sigh...

Wudooeyeno?

Stephen Alpern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stephen Alpern

The Shun knives really are top notch. Also, I believe that you can return the knives to Shun for free (except for postage) professional sharpening. I would be in on this if I didn't already have three Shun knives.

Stephen Alpern

bleepbloop

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bleepbloop

I have a Shun 8 inch chef's knife, it was a lovely gift. I have this knife: Victorinox Chef’s Knife the one recommend by America's Test Kitchen year after year after year...I reach for it more than any other knife. I love it, I could replace it every year for nearly 20 years for the price of these knives. Oh, I also have a block set of Wusthof's ...still reach for the Victorinox the most.

...anybody want a peanut?

suprchunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suprchunk

So do we get the block that is pictured? Because I fell for that during the woot!off. The block shown in this listing was the same one showed in that one. I got the crappy one, obviously.

So which block do we actually get woot!? Or going to just pull the 'ol switcheroo again?

drblaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drblaw

I would like to see Giada De Laurentiis wield these Japanese bad boys. Heck I'd watch her using a plastic butter knife too. Va-room!

Still for $450 I'll stick with my J.A. Henckels four star.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

suprchunk wrote:So do we get the block that is pictured? Because I fell for that during the woot!off. The block shown in this listing was the same one showed in that one. I got the crappy one, obviously.

So which block do we actually get woot!? Or going to just pull the 'ol switcheroo again?

NO switcheroo. The block is included and listed under the feature and specs:

(1) 11-Slot Bamboo Knife Block

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande

I don't care what the brand is. This is way to much for knives. They would have to cook a meal for me, clean up, put the kids to bed and more

blipper67

quality posts: 6 Private Messages blipper67
bleepbloop wrote:Oh, I also have a block set of Wusthof's ...still reach for the Victorinox the most.

Can't beat Wusthofs. Excellent steel, sharpen easily to razor sharp with included sharpening rod, and the 6" and 8" chef knives are fine. I have about 10 of them including the block and scissors. A lot cheaper too than these Chinese knives if you shop around. For example - http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/wusthof-cutlery-gourmet-18-piece-set?ID=476315&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Coop_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Cookware+Coop_PLA+-+Cookware+-+Wusthof+-+Sale-_-23382161457_-_-_mkwid_SjfdQASN|d{device}_23382161457|-|SjfdQASN

$279 for an 18 piece set, are you kidding me! In one of our local stores that sells Wusthof, the 8" chef's knife alone is $129.

tomquincy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomquincy

9pc? If you assume all knives are included (even the 2 missing from the slots) then it would be 9 knives plus scissors.... thus 10 piece!?

alskoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alskoj

You're right, knives like these aren't for the masses. They're for those who LOVE to cook (or rich people who buy things that are excessively expensive just because they can).

nrg2go

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nrg2go

I would hope expensive knife sets like this would provide a remote control.

jjkenobi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jjkenobi

Woot is a site I visit to find steals and spend some spare money. I'm just going to give up visiting pretty soon. Between this and the TV's and the Dyson vacuum cleaners I can't afford anything here.

flguyindc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flguyindc

Read the description and view the additional pictures. You only get 6 knives, 1 scissors, 1 sharpening hone, and the block. That's 9 pieces. So yeah, you'd have three empty slots even when all your knives you bought are stored which would look strange. Presumably that's for other knives not included in this set.

tomquincy wrote:9pc? If you assume all knives are included (even the 2 missing from the slots) then it would be 9 knives plus scissors.... thus 10 piece!?

studiggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studiggs
blipper67 wrote:Can't beat Wusthofs. Excellent steel, sharpen easily to razor sharp with included sharpening rod, and the 6" and 8" chef knives are fine. I have about 10 of them including the block and scissors. A lot cheaper too than these Chinese knives if you shop around. For example - http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/wusthof-cutlery-gourmet-18-piece-set?ID=476315&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Coop_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Cookware+Coop_PLA+-+Cookware+-+Wusthof+-+Sale-_-23382161457_-_-_mkwid_SjfdQASN|d{device}_23382161457|-|SjfdQASN

$279 for an 18 piece set, are you kidding me! In one of our local stores that sells Wusthof, the 8" chef's knife alone is $129.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Or at least Honeycrisp and Red Delicious. The set in your link is the Gourmet line (Wusthof's cheaper version). The $129 knife you're talking about is the Classic line. Look at the bolster... it tells the tale.

Gourmet = stamped blades
Classic = forged blades

ctviggen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen
garyoa1 wrote:If you go thru a few dozen cheaper knives you'll still have only paid a fraction of this price. And you wouldn't have had to sharpen them even once.

I really, really, really miss woot! ...Sigh...

Having owned both "cheap" (i.e., $40 for a chef's knife) and two expensive Japanese knives, there's really no comparison between these. The Japanese knives are so much better--they offer more control, keep an edge for a long time, and are incredibly sharp. Now, I'm not saying everyone should buy a $470 set, but if you get the chance to buy a nice chef's knife, you should take that chance and compare for yourself.

indetrucks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages indetrucks

Wow.. less than $500. In for 3 at least.

indetrucks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages indetrucks
jiggersgreen wrote:I do own several Shun knives

Oh you fancy now huh?

cosmictrucker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cosmictrucker

At these prices, I'm expecting light saber technologies. WOW.

vineaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vineaux
studiggs wrote:You're comparing apples and oranges. Or at least Honeycrisp and Red Delicious. The set in your link is the Gourmet line (Wusthof's cheaper version). The $129 knife you're talking about is the Classic line. Look at the bolster... it tells the tale.

Gourmet = stamped blades
Classic = forged blades

yup, made in china? yes?

hdlp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdlp

Lemme see... @469.99, plus 6% PA tax, plus $5 shipping... that's over $500 out of pocket. I have a thing for knives and everything beautiful that cuts, but $500 is my weekly take-home. Wish these lovely knives $50 cheaper (sigh).

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12

My peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just don't taste right unless I use a $500.00 knife set to prepare them.

defig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages defig

These knives definitely aren't for everyone. They are made in Japan, not China. Shun in Oregon will sharpen them for free if you send them back. I bought a 9-piece set of Shun Edo elsewhere 2 years ago for a LOT more money. I doubted at the time that I would use the utility knife much. Just another serrated knife. Not. I assumed it was no more dangerous than the usual serrated dreck. Got sloppy and gave myself a nasty cut. It will slice bread paper-thin with no effort. I use knives a lot and can't pass this up. They are drop-dead gorgeous to look at, nicely balanced, and crazy sharp. A very happy un-birthday to me! $469/6 blades=$78 per blade. Not bad for a quality knife.

blipper67

quality posts: 6 Private Messages blipper67
studiggs wrote:You're comparing apples and oranges. Or at least Honeycrisp and Red Delicious. The set in your link is the Gourmet line (Wusthof's cheaper version). The $129 knife you're talking about is the Classic line. Look at the bolster... it tells the tale.

Gourmet = stamped blades
Classic = forged blades

You're right, sorry. My set is Classic similiar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/kitchen-dining/dp/B0009NMVX2

Being that I grow tomatoes year round we added the tomato slicer. I noticed on most cooking shows like The Chew and celebrity chefs on Food Network etc. that they use the Classic Wusthof.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

Yeah, the guy using the $470 knives is going to slice tomatoes with a guy using a $100 Ginsu! COME ON!

rvacheson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvacheson

There are too many Shun lines. What's the difference between this and Fuji, Haru, Hiro, Kaji, Blue, Classic, Premier,Wasabi, Premier Ultimate, Reserve, Pro, and Sora? I don't actually expect an answer, I just think it's far too many to keep track of.

I mean, this is customer segmentation taken to an absurd level.