Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

1.4 mghz seems awfull slow for 2013.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako

This was exactly what I was looking for, something lightweight, portable, with a built-in pointer option (instead of buying a trackball).... if I didn't just order a slate from ASUS already.

The slate is half the weight, but also half the functionality. Granted, using GiMP with a touchscreen is never an accurate thing, a laptop is still better than a slate for image manipulation.

While a 2nd gen i3 processor isn't exactly future-proof, it will do the job better than a portable processor (or until the next line of full-fledged CPUs arrive)

BTBAM

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BTBAM

Proud to own one of these, they're some serious bang for your buck. Not the fastest if you're going to do gaming, etc. but it's got a surprisingly amazing keyboard and the build quality is something else. All aluminum!

Touchscreen is a novelty at best but comes in handy occasionally.

All in all, this is an absolute STEAL at $299. Brand new they're around $450.

Buy now. Seriously.

penwynd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages penwynd

PC Mag Review

MOD EDIT: Sorry, cleaned it up. Thanks for posting the correct link

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan
penwynd wrote:PC Mag Review

MOD EDIT: Sorry, cleaned it up. Thanks for posting the correct link[/url]

The VivoBook X202E was unable to complete our 3DMark11 benchmark tests

LOL!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

aron82e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aron82e

any way to get a protection plan on it?

icehands

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icehands
aron82e wrote:any way to get a protection plan on it?

SquareTrade does warranties on refurbs. Wait to use a 30% off coupon.

VeeRay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages VeeRay

I'd call this a fair deal. I recently bought the newer version of this (Ivy Bridge i3 and thus HD4000 vs Sandy Bridge / HD3000 - I think they're otherwise identical) for $360 from B&H, having missed a prior deal elsewhere for $350. New, not refurb. So you save $60 from an excellent price if you're willing to take a refurb and one step older CPU.

I gave the computer to my sister, who had been complaining about her archaic laptop for literally years but is averse to actually buying new tech. (Families!) I played with it first, though, and in general was very impressed with how much tech got crammed into such a small space and price. RAM is not upgradeable, as is also true of most in this segment. Not mad for the i3 in general or Windows 8, but maybe I'm just averse to change. It's plenty enough power to do most things.

I read somewhere (AnandTech?) that this is the second most popular computer sold on Amazon after the Chromebook.

MyPooka

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MyPooka

These are really nice little lightweight notebooks. Graphics are the Intel HD graphics built into the i3 processor, so you won't be doing any demanding gaming on this system, but people looking for a system to handle demanding 3D games would know that already.

I recommended one of these to a dear friend a couple of months back and he bought new it from Amazon. Really nice. Small, lightweight, reasonable (though not stellar) battery life, good keyboard, nice bright (but only 1366x768) screen...with touch!

The touch interface with the screen works very well with Win 8. With the coming free update to Windows 8.1, I expect things will only get better.

If I had the money right now I'd snag one of these myself. Good deal at the roughly 480 dollar new retail price. For 299 I think this is a steal.

On edit...

One big feature the bought new version comes with that this refurb does not: If bought new it comes with a full year of accidental damage protection for free if you register with Asus within 30 days of purchase. That alone is worth at least some of the price difference.

aron82e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aron82e
icehands wrote:SquareTrade does warranties on refurbs. Wait to use a 30% off coupon.

ty

ronfronberg

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

Does anybody know the model number?

The new version is: X202E-DH31T.

thanks

west3man

quality posts: 6 Private Messages west3man

If this is like the model at Best Buy, that keyboard is not backlit. Something to keep in-mind.

I almost forgot since it looks so much like my Asus model, which DOES have the backlit keyboard.

Still neat but it helps at times like, right now, when I'm in the bed, in the dark, typing away.

jjjooe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjjooe

I just bought a new one two days ago! For $370 with rewards worth $76 to use in rakuten.com!This one has a touchable screen, with a win8 OS. It's the lowest touchable laptop in the market! The i3 chip is not powerful, but enough for everyday use, such as surfing the internet and office work. The battery sucks but I'm OK with that. However, the display quality is really not satisfactory. It's relatively dimmer compared to a normal laptop. But overall, it's a good buy!

I just checked the product page and sadly it turns out that the cheap price is gone...The current price is $424.90, and the price in Amazon also increased from $390 to $424.90, which seems an overall price increase by ASUS!

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

A friend recently got one NEW on an Amazon deal for $249!

1SaleADay had this for $259 refurbed.

I'll hold off until I can get the real deal. THIS isn't IT!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ronfronberg wrote:Does anybody know the model number?

thanks

The model numbers seem to match, but the processors DO NOT. I'm going to ping staff in the morning and see if we can't discover the original model number.

Thanks for the find! :D

actorbrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages actorbrad

Yeah, everywhere else I look for this, I see the 3rd-generation i3 listed (i3-3217U 1.8 GHz). The processor listed here is a 2nd-generation (i3-2365M 1.4GHz). It's impossible to find this version anywhere else. Very strange.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy

For $289 at amazon.com, there is a -NEW- ASUS F55A-ES01 Laptop with:

Intel Celeron B830 Processor (1.8 GHz)
2 GB DDR3 RAM
320 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, Intel GMA HD
Windows 8

or for $10 more, there is a Lenovo G585 Laptop with:

AMD Brazos 2.0 E1-1500 Processor (1.48 GHz)
4 GB DDR3 RAM
15.6-Inch Screen, ATI Radeon HD 7310 Integrated Graphics
Windows 8
5-hour battery life

Both have free shipping available.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
yeahbuddy wrote:For $289 at amazon.com, there is a -NEW- ASUS F55A-ES01 Laptop with:

2 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8
5-hour battery life

Those aren't really comparable as they are not touchscreen laptops and are 15 inches instead of 11. They also have slower processors.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx
ronfronberg wrote:Does anybody know the model number?

thanks

Not 100% certain this is the exact same model but the specs on this match the Q200E-BHI3T45.

Kimchi4prez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kimchi4prez
yeahbuddy wrote:For $289 at amazon.com, there is a -NEW- ASUS F55A-ES01 Laptop with:

2 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8
5-hour battery life

Just looked at both of the links on Amazon because I was thinking about the competition. I was not impressed.

The first option has no free shipping available and would end up being 370.

The second option I don't see any for 300 dollars nor do I see any options being 305 or less when combined with shipping.

Neither of these are touch screens as well but the touch screens aren't a deal breaker but they do add value.

My two pesos

wharper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wharper

It is highly inappropriate to use the imagery of a person pointing a firearm in a dangerous manner, and I support responsible ownership of firearms.

Bad call, Woot.

pccircuits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pccircuits
wharper wrote:It is highly inappropriate to use the imagery of a person pointing a firearm in a dangerous manner, and I support responsible ownership of firearms.

Bad call, Woot.

I don't think there is another way to point a fire arm...

chillzatl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chillzatl

solid price on a good, small, non-gaming laptop.

thomasz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasz

Can it run something besides Windows 8?

Linux or even Win7 or XP?

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e
pccircuits wrote:I don't think there is another way to point a fire arm...

I want to know where the glasses on the punched guy came from. Did the fire arms guy hit a guy with glasses - literally?

hehersontan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hehersontan

If there is a way to add a 32gb msata ssd for caching, I'll be all over this.

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519

2 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8
5-hour battery life

There is a BIG difference (literally) between an 11.6" laptop and a 15.6" laptop. And bigger is NOT always better.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
cowboyesfan wrote:The VivoBook X202E was unable to complete our 3DMark11 benchmark tests

LOL!

LOL! you're not comparing the correct laptop. Although the model appears the same the specs are different, meaning there is a subtype model difference. The one in the PC MAG article was using a B987 processor and Intel GMA HD- the one presented today has an I3-2365M and HD3000 video. I am pretty confident that this laptop could complete 3DMark because the HD3000 has a G3D benchmark that is almost 3x the G3D benchmark of the GMA HD.

gak0090

conanthelibrarian wrote:Laptopmag.com Review

This review is not the same Laptop. The review has the i3-3217UM and HD 4000, todays laptop is I3-2365M and HD3000. The reviewed laptop is a little better than todays Woot.

jpitt57488

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jpitt57488

I have the x202E and it is not a bad little machine for everyday use. Web browsing, office, etc- it is fine. It is really light and I find it to be just the right size for something portable. I can type on it without it being frustrating (couldn't stand the 10 inch netbooks), but I can also rest it on the arm of the couch. Build quality is really nice for the price. I use the touch screen occasionally but usually use gestures on the mouse pad.

I actually had a bad touch screen on mine (got it Xmas). The screen basically had a bad spot on it like a ghost finger was always touching one spot and shaking it. Asus support was great though- I sent it in and they turned it around quickly with a new screen.

I remember this when I was shopping- best buy had a model Q200 or Q202 that had the 1.4 GHZ processor. This was exclusive to best buy and they had it as one of their black friday deals. So, either the model number is wrong on woot or the specs are wrong. If it is the X202E then pretty sure it has the 1.8 GHZ processor.

If this is the 1.8 for $300 then it is not a bad deal.

davecoon13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davecoon13

I got one of these for $399 weeks ago with free Shipping when it was on sale from B&H Photo. It is painfully slow and the touchscreen is not that responsive. It turns out that the RAM memory is soldered onto the motherboard and is not user upgradable. Most "Ultrabooks" have Solid State drives, but not this one, it has a hard drive instead. I guess I can't complain for the bargain basement price of a touchscreen that is thin and lightweight. The Aluminium housing is just as rugged as my Macbook Pro.

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver
tljx wrote:Those aren't really comparable as they are not touchscreen laptops and are 15 inches instead of 11. They also have slower processors.

I agree. No comparison.

kolio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kolio

Can anyone verify if this has BLUETOOTH?

I don't see any mention of it here,but,all other similar models elsewhere have it.

THX!

gak0090

Finally Woot offers a Windows 8 computer with a touchscreen. I can't even rag on Windows 8 anymore, because now people can finally appreciate what windows 8 was truly designed for...a touch interface. I would still download classic shell (or one of the other utilities) for when you are on the desktop side to get the start menu back. The Windows touch interface is intuitive, easy to use, very smooth. I have been using it on an ExoPC slate that is running on an Atom n450 processor (way less powerful than this I3)and it still runs smooth. The only problem with windows 8 is that their Apps are very limited when compared with Apple and Android. Although their weather App is really cool. It would be nice if they had a search field when you are under the APPs category. Instead you have to search for a particular app via the generic search function- which is fine, but a search field should also be included on the Apps page. The true greatness here is that you have a touch device for quick browsing, apps...yet you also have a regular PC where you can have office, install printers,and do all the regular PC stuff. Windows 8 works perfectly here.

gak0090

kolio wrote:Can anyone verify if this has BLUETOOTH?

I don't see any mention of it here,but,all other similar models elsewhere have it.

THX!

Bluetooth USB 4.0 is like $11. That shouldn't be the deal breaker for this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=855744&is=REG&Q=&A=details