Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2652 Private Messages lichme

Item: HP ENVY Six-Core Desktop w/ 10GB RAM
Price: $449.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/13/2013 - $469.99 - 45 comment(s)

lichme

quality posts: 2652 Private Messages lichme

ethertonm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ethertonm

This computer is a beast! Excellent price. And Windows 8 will grow on you after you get through the awkward learning curve stages.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Clearly, someone would have to go get a Cuppa Joe on National Joe Day (3/27).

k2wananb

quality posts: 11 Private Messages k2wananb

GPU is pretty weak. 1GB of GDDR3? Might be ok for casual gaming, but high end games will probably run in stop-motion.

That said, dollar for dollar, this is a good deal.

kaisterbahn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaisterbahn
ethertonm wrote:This computer is a beast! Excellent price. And Windows 8 will grow on you after you get through the awkward learning curve stages.

Maaaaybe you aren't sure what 'beast' means.

FerretDeprived

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FerretDeprived

Can anyone answer how this computer can run properly with only a 300w PSU? If I get it will the PSU need to be updated?

Thanks in advance.

Mattroid

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Mattroid

Did woot forget to close a tag or something on the main page? :P

Or is there some joke I'm overlooking... [insert Fry meme here]

k2wananb

FerretDeprived wrote:Can anyone answer how this computer can run properly with only a 300w PSU? If I get it will the PSU need to be updated?

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't need to worry about the power supply unless you want to upgrade the GPU.

Adrastus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adrastus
FerretDeprived wrote:Can anyone answer how this computer can run properly with only a 300w PSU? If I get it will the PSU need to be updated?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you would have to upgrade to a 500-700 watt PSU for any real Gfx card. And that's bare minimum without using lots of USB chargers or other SATA connections. You'd be good with a 750-800.

That's IF you are updating the Gfx card. Out of the box it will run fine.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3115 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3115 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this unboxing

k2wananb

conanthelibrarian wrote:Lots of good reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

I have an HP Envy (though, it is one of the higher end ones), and they are a great value. A lot of bang for your buck compared to other units out there.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Thanks in advance.

300w is generally plenty unless you're looking to do some upgrades on the video card. Otherwise, you should be in good shape for a general use machine, but it's not likely going to play Battlefield 4 on max settings out of the box.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Mattroid wrote:Did woot forget to close a tag or something on the main page? :P

Or is there some joke I'm overlooking... [insert Fry meme here]

...maaaaaaaaaybe. We're working on that.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

hairball98

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hairball98
k2wananb wrote:You shouldn't need to worry about the power supply unless you want to upgrade the GPU.

You WILL want to upgrade the GPU if you have any gaming aspirations. The 7450 is bottom of the line in that area.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

If I add a second ssd drive, will the psu be ok?

buffaloballet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buffaloballet

Not a bad computer if you replace the Power Supply IMMEDIATELY and stick in six more gigs of RAM instead of the very odd amount of ten included here. If you are wanting to do some modern day gaming that is another story.

If the only thing you intended to do on this machine is cruise the net, watch DVDs, play Popcap games or update your Livejournal then it will fulfill your needs even without the power upgrade.

If you want to take a walk on the wild side you should take the money and build your own PC from scratch that would be way hipper than this one.

Also this being an HP brand it might be difficult to replace the components, but maybe not.

eflores714

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eflores714

WOOT IS OFFICIALLY NOTHING SPECIAL. WHAT HAPPEN TP $5SHIPPING ALL DAY? I JUST EMPTIED MY CART WHEN I SAW $5 ALL OVER THE PLACE.

k2wananb

eflores714 wrote:WOOT IS OFFICIALLY NOTHING SPECIAL. WHAT HAPPEN TP $5SHIPPING ALL DAY? I JUST EMPTIED MY CART WHEN I SAW $5 ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My understanding is that Woot changed it a while back to $5 shipping per cart, rather than all day. Unless you need to ship to multiple locations, just add everything you want to the same cart before checking out.

icealong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages icealong

Can someone lend me a hand? I really need a new PC and I had all the parts for one and it was gonna be $800 but this would save me tons. I want to use it for browsing the web and watching youtube but the occasional gaming here and there(not likely newest games)
I'm also really skeptical if I should buy it because its refurbished. Refurbished electronics are usually a no-no.

llamadude92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llamadude92
k2wananb wrote:My understanding is that Woot changed it a while back to $5 shipping per cart, rather than all day. Unless you need to ship to multiple locations, just add everything you want to the same cart before checking out.

Yeah but some of us liked shipping to multiple locations with how long shipping takes (sometimes. It's gotten better).

And let's be honest, the cart method completely sucks for Woot-offs unless by some holy power above the stars align and everything you want from every .woot site appears at once.

As someone who usually couldn't go a week without buying something from Woot, I haven't made a single purchase since the shopping cart switch. Not because I'm trying to make a point, but because it's simply not as good of a deal any more. /end rant

As far as this machine goes, I would definitely upgrade the power supply if you plan on running multiple hard drives or a decent graphics card. You don't need 1000 watts, but a solid 500-650 would do this machine good. Go check out a power supply calculator to figure out your needs.

chefjoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chefjoe

Yuck, 4 ram slots and 10 gigs... most likely stuffed with 1, 1, 4, and 4GB, clearing out the warehouse of all the low capacity RAM.

chiburb79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiburb79

How does it compare to this envy at ecost?

http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Desktop-Computers/product~dpno~9665611~pdp.icicced

It's got a 460W PSU

AMD 8-Core FX-8350 4.0GHz, 10GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM, 2TB 7200rpm SATA, SuperMulti DVD, Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570, Beats Audio, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth, Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit - Refurbished / Recertified

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

eflores714 wrote:WOOT IS OFFICIALLY NOTHING SPECIAL. WHAT HAPPEN TP $5SHIPPING ALL DAY? I JUST EMPTIED MY CART WHEN I SAW $5 ALL OVER THE PLACE.

the $5 all-day shipping promotion changed some time ago when we added our shopping cart feature.
for the time being, it's $5 per order. sorry for any inconvenience.

Read more here.

And as for this ALL CAPS business, there's a thread for that, too.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

k2wananb

chiburb79 wrote:How does it compare to this envy at ecost?

http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Desktop-Computers/product~dpno~9665611~pdp.icicced

It's got a 460W PSU

AMD 8-Core FX-8350 4.0GHz, 10GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM, 2TB 7200rpm SATA, SuperMulti DVD, Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570, Beats Audio, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth, Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit - Refurbished / Recertified

Go with the one at eCOST. For $50 you're getting twice the video memory (2GB vs. 1GB, though it is still GDDR3 so it's still not ideal for high end gaming), a faster processor with more cores (8-core, 4 GHz. vs. 6-core, 3.5 GHz), and an HDD with twice the storage (2TB vs. 1TB).

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
ethertonm wrote:This computer is a beast! Excellent price. And Windows 8 will grow on you after you get through the awkward learning curve stages.

Or just install start8 and then it looks like windows 7 again.

That CPU is decent, no doubt about that. But Intel Haswell 6 core processors in the future will pwn this to pieces.
This CPU lacks single threaded (real world) performance. I mean it is good, it is new tech, but it doesn't compare to the latest from Intel.

For a basic computer, put an SSD in it and it will be really fast.

me100st

quality posts: 0 Private Messages me100st
k2wananb wrote:GPU is pretty weak. 1GB of GDDR3? Might be ok for casual gaming, but high end games will probably run in stop-motion.

would it fit another 1GB of GDDR3 in it? and it needs to have a blu ray player

mauimermaid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mauimermaid

How would it compare to this one at ecost for $150 more?
http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Desktop-Computers/product~dpno~9665614~pdp.icicceg
Double the HDD, 2 more GB of ram. How does an intel i7 quad core compare with the AMD 8 core?
This one looks about the same as one on tech woot 5-28 that was the same price but this has half the HDD.
I need a new desktop and these prices seem reasonable enough.

bradenmcg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bradenmcg
buffaloballet wrote:Not a bad computer if you replace the Power Supply IMMEDIATELY and stick in six more gigs of RAM instead of the very odd amount of ten included here. If you are wanting to do some modern day gaming that is another story.

If the only thing you intended to do on this machine is cruise the net, watch DVDs, play Popcap games or update your Livejournal then it will fulfill your needs even without the power upgrade.

If you want to take a walk on the wild side you should take the money and build your own PC from scratch that would be way hipper than this one.

Also this being an HP brand it might be difficult to replace the components, but maybe not.

What exactly is wrong with the power supply as it ships? Sure, you probably don't want to throw a 670 GTX in it, but what's wrong with it other than it being typical OEM gear?

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
k2wananb wrote:Go with the one at eCOST. For $50 you're getting twice the video memory (2GB vs. 1GB, though it is still GDDR3 so it's still not ideal for high end gaming), a faster processor with more cores (8-core, 4 GHz. vs. 6-core, 3.5 GHz), and an HDD with twice the storage (2TB vs. 1TB).

Agreed.

cjsutherland

This has been on here before. Decent computer. Decent price. They have had better high end computer options and better low end....which is why I would not get this.

If you are looking to game, or get a good price/build to expand upon. This isn't it. Wait and find a better one.

If you are looking for an everyday machine that can do what you want but not really game. This isn't it...well it can be, but you can get one for cheaper. The AMD APU machines they sell on here are a $100 less and have the integrated graphics that are more than enough for everyday use.

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom

UPS just delivered this nearly same PC from last weeks sale today. The first thing I did was install a great Windows 8 enhancement called "Classic Shell".

I have Classic Shell installed on several Windows 7 machines.

Classic Shell is a collection of usability enhancements for Windows. The main features are:
Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins
Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8
Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer
Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer

Classic Shell has more than 6 million downloads.

Get back the look and feel of Windows XP and keep the enhancements/performance of Win8.
Price? Free www.ClassicShell.net

A

cjsutherland

icealong wrote:Can someone lend me a hand? I really need a new PC and I had all the parts for one and it was gonna be $800 but this would save me tons. I want to use it for browsing the web and watching youtube but the occasional gaming here and there(not likely newest games)
I'm also really skeptical if I should buy it because its refurbished. Refurbished electronics are usually a no-no.

I love refurb units. They are cheaper and have all "new" parts. If a computer has a part that fails it is sent back. They don't repair the part, they stick a new one in, test it like a "new" computer and send it back out.

They are even obligated to slap "refurbished" on units that have shipped and been returned with no use.

Reburbished electronics in many instances are a no go for me. I would never buy a refurbished cpu (processor) or something like that.

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom
k2wananb wrote:GPU is pretty weak. 1GB of GDDR3? Might be ok for casual gaming, but high end games will probably run in stop-motion.

It comes with 10GB of DDR3.

A

k2wananb

me100st wrote:would it fit another 1GB of GDDR3 in it? and it needs to have a blu ray player

You could slap a new GPU and a bluray player in it fairly easily, but you will have to upgrade the power supply as well. The PSU in this unit is very weak

k2wananb

AerodexdotCom wrote:It comes with 10GB of DDR3.

The GPU in this unit has 1GB of GDDR3 video memory.

leehector

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leehector

Im in the business for a tower less than $500 to play games on. I'm not picky and I don't need to play the latest games on ultra, but I am looking to play current games on med-low. Is this PC going to run games like Chivalry, Minecraft, and Dark Souls? If not how expensive to upgrade?

cjsutherland

leehector wrote:Im in the business for a tower less than $500 to play games on. I'm not picky and I don't need to play the latest games on ultra, but I am looking to play current games on med-low. Is this PC going to run games like Chivalry, Minecraft, and Dark Souls? If not how expensive to upgrade?

It seems like every month Woot has some refurbished HP units that carry the AMD APU chips (they start with A10, A8, A6, etc). I haven't seen the "top of the line" they make (A10-5800K) but I have seen others. The best deal on here for them I have seen was a tower with an A8-5600K for $300-$350. Stat wise it is close to the A10-5700 chip but they usually sell them cheaper due to them being older and slightly less spec wise.

Long story short if that is all you are looking for...I think an AMD APU would be the way to go. Decent CPU power and decent graphics all in one chip...which keeps cost low for you.