sampath14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sampath14

Is this good for video editing? I have a HD camcorder and looking for editing family videos.

Ainokea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ainokea

This is more than sufficient for anyone who doesn't play games or isn't working on high end graphics. For regular use it's more than enough.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy

Has Problems (HP)

gak0090

quality posts: 75 Private Messages gak0090
jaykid007 wrote:If I add a second ssd drive, will the psu be ok?

SSD require minuscule amounts of power- you wont need to change out the power supply.

bigsexybubba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigsexybubba

Not to be picky, but today is not the Eve of National Donut Day. NDD is the first Friday in June, so today is the National Donut Day Eve Eve Eve.

gak0090

chefjoe wrote:Yuck, 4 ram slots and 10 gigs... most likely stuffed with 1, 1, 4, and 4GB, clearing out the warehouse of all the low capacity RAM.

You would be lucky if they used that configuration. I would guess they are doing 4+4+2, meaning that they are losing the dual channel bandwidth. If you pull the side off and see this, your best bet would be to pull off that last 2GB module. There is not many people that actually use beyond 4GB of memory (unless you are running several virtual OS's or have some other unique setup), 8GB is usually a sweet spot.

theroseknows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theroseknows

There is a reason it is a refurb. That reason is ultimately the power supply. Yes, it will run fine out of the box. If you don't want to play video games more advanced than solitaire. If you don't want to watch movies. So yes, if you want a desktop version of your cellphone this will be great. (Except that it is an HP and comes with Win8, which in my house are deal-breakers all by themselves.)

Throw in the cost of a decent (not spectacular) GPU, and a suitable power supply, and suddenly the price is not looking all that great anymore.

The only really great thing about this PC is the name...ENVY. Comedy Gold is what that is!

gak0090

sampath14 wrote:Is this good for video editing? I have a HD camcorder and looking for editing family videos.

This will do OK. I have an AMD 1090T 6 core and use it for video editing (it benchmarks about the same as this processor). If you plan on doing a lot of video editing, I would spend a more and wait for a deal on an I7 desktop. Sometimes these can be as low as $550-$600 (for a refurb) if you are patient. Here is one for $659 http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-HPE-H8-1360T-3-4GHz/dp/B00CDXTC24/ref=sr_1_28?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1370347331&sr=1-28

An I7-3770 is going to give you about 50% more processing power than today's processor. This will help render and transcode videos faster. If you don't mind waiting a bit longer, today's 6-core will work fine- it's a decent processor.

bluemaple

quality posts: 65 Private Messages bluemaple

For the folks who don't care about gaming and simply want to use this PC for email, Facebook, and general Internet browsing... the power supply size is perfectly OK as is.

Any smart (wants to complete) company is going to size their power supply to handle the specs they build since 80-90% of the users for a mainstream PC like this will never open the case. Price matters and overkilling the power supply specs would drive more cost.

Even if this PC had a 500/whatever watt supply, it would still be an OEM power supply - for the average non-gamer I'd be more concerned about that than the size of this power supply.

So if you want a decent mainstream PC, this one is fine as is and its performance will feel snappy compared to your 3+ year old PC.

mootabolife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mootabolife

Some information that needs to be here:
- It probably uses a proprietary HP power supply, so upgrading isn't as easy as you might expect.
- You can't add video memory/GDDR without replacing the video card.
- AMD processors are less expensive than Intel (core i), but also perform worse.

Qanuk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Qanuk

I read a lot of people kvetching about the power supply and I just want to set the record straight (or at least not so skewed). The power supply is more than fine for this machine.

Let's look at the components and the wattage that they draw.

First, the primary drain of any pc with a discrete graphics card. This one draws a whopping 18 watts.

The cpu draws 95 watts under load.

Take in the rest of the unit, and let's assume that you're running everything else at max load. You might draw another 150 watts based on the architecture.

So, that's a 270 watt draw under 100 percent load, which, quite honestly, if you're buying this system as a stock machine, you're not putting it under 100 percent load.

tldr; The power supply for this machine is fine, as long as you're not modding it. If you plan on putting in a new GPU, then you should spend 50 bucks and buy a 500w power supply.

Edit: I used an online psu calculator and found a recommended draw of 288 watts under 100 percent load:

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

mikelindo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikelindo

Multimedia - decent
Gaming - light

1. FX-6120 - Benchmarks pretty low
2. Radeon 7450 - Low end video card
3. 300W Power Supply - How does thing even run?? (Thank you Qanuk for clarifying this)
4. Windows 8? Blah...

You pay $450, you get every penny you put into it.

cordellt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cordellt

I have an old dell(xps 720) with an intel extreme 2.93, 4 mgs of ddr2 ram and a 8800 ultra video card. The computer was very fast 5 years ago but now takes forever to boot up and I get frequent blue screens and freezes. The only game I play is WOW. Would this refurb be ok on medium settings?

bluemaple

mootabolife wrote:Some information that needs to be here:
- It probably uses a proprietary HP power supply, so upgrading isn't as easy as you might expect.
- You can't add video memory/GDDR without replacing the video card.
- AMD processors are less expensive than Intel (core i), but also perform worse.

@mootabolife, incorrect (old) info on the power supplies - HP has been using standard spec power supplies for years in its full size cases.

I wouldn't touch a slim case PC from any manufacturer - that's where you run into proprietary supplies.

mikelindo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikelindo
cordellt wrote:I have an old dell(xps 720) with an intel extreme 2.93, 4 mgs of ddr2 ram and a 8800 ultra video card. The computer was very fast 5 years ago but now takes forever to boot up and I get frequent blue screens and freezes. The only game I play is WOW. Would this refurb be ok on medium settings?

I'd say that it could easily handle WoW on medium settings.

Edit: Go onto the Blizz support page and check out their required/recommended settings. This machine falls somewhere in the middle.

cliveholloway

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cliveholloway
icealong wrote:Can someone lend me a hand? I really need a new PC and I had all the parts for one and it was gonna be $800 but this would save me tons. I want to use it for browsing the web and watching youtube but the occasional gaming here and there(not likely newest games)
I'm also really skeptical if I should buy it because its refurbished. Refurbished electronics are usually a no-no.

It's fine for "normal" gaming. The snobby idiøts who say it's just for popcap are being facetious. I got one last time they were up, and it's perfectly acceptable for gaming. As to it being refurb. You won't notice. Nine times out of ten it's just a return that someone changed their mind on...

luthergaylord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luthergaylord

This is a much better deal, in my opinion:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1328361-_-06042013_1

$379 after rebates.

gak0090

mikelindo wrote:Multimedia - decent
Gaming - light

1. FX-6120 - Benchmarks pretty low
2. Radeon 7450 - Low end video card
3. 300W Power Supply - How does thing even run?? (Thank you Qanuk for clarifying this)
4. Windows 8? Blah...

You pay $450, you get every penny you put into it.

1)The benchmarks are not low. The Passmark is 5855 which is I5 range
2)The HD 7450 is pretty weak as far as gaming goes. But it does have HDMI out and the card is fine for an HTPC. Regular tasks/programs will run fine under this card.
3) 300 watt power supply will run as configured. If you update the videocard you'll need to update the PS
4)Windows 8-I agree is an annoyance on a non touchscreen. In addition, if you decide to set this up as an HTPC, you'll have to download (and pay for) windows mediacenter. Alternatively you could use a different program like XBMC Hub for your mediacenter.

This is an OK deal. Not horrible not great. Not good for gamers, but decent processing power for a nice workstation or HTPC mediacenter.

joecooool

quality posts: 19 Private Messages joecooool
k2wananb wrote:My understanding is that Woot changed it a while back to $5 shipping per cart, rather than all day. Unless you need to ship to multiple locations, just add everything you want to the same cart before checking out.

Yes, and they never bothered to make a big announcement about that. I bought a couple of items the other day and was really pissed off when I was then charged all the extra shipping. I sent in three emails asking them to cancel my order if they did not include the shipping and kept getting back form emails telling me that they have a new policy and explaining what it was. When I replied to the form emails telling them I understood that and please take the shipping off or cancel my order, no one bothered to reply.

There isn't the attention to detail at Woot like there use to be.

gak0090

luthergaylord wrote:This is a much better deal, in my opinion:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1328361-_-06042013_1

$379 after rebates.

I love the A10 processors, and I use this one in my mediacenter. The video on the A10 is much better than today (more than twice the performance).The CPU on the A10 performs about 25% less than today's CPU. If I were doing video editing and needed more of a decent workstation, I would choose todays woot. If you wanted a more balanced system that had better gaming potential, the newegg system would definitely be better. Remember you need to include the cost of an OS for people that want to build this legitimately to the Newegg deal. I like the hardware that comes with the Newegg deal, it will support a strong videocard if you ever decide to upgrade, and the rest of the components are all top notch.

gak0090

joecooool wrote:Yes, and they never bothered to make a big announcement about that. I bought a couple of items the other day and was really pissed off when I was then charged all the extra shipping. I sent in three emails asking them to cancel my order if they did not include the shipping and kept getting back form emails telling me that they have a new policy and explaining what it was. When I replied to the form emails telling them I understood that and please take the shipping off or cancel my order, no one bothered to reply.

There isn't the attention to detail at Woot like there use to be.

Yeah I got burnt on this too. I thought it was a bad marketing move. I think that whatever revenue they thought they were recouping by enabling this policy could have been more easily hidden in their pricing and divided between purchases. I think the $5 all you can order should be a free-for-all for the day, and you should not have to keep the $tupid cart open. I got burnt on woot-offs. I thought the promotion of $5 all you can buy in a day was more of a revenue stimulus vs what they are doing now.

bluemaple

luthergaylord wrote:This is a much better deal, in my opinion:

$379 after rebates.

gak0090 wrote:I love the A10 processors, and I use this one in my mediacenter. The video on the A10 is much better than today (more than twice the performance).The CPU on the A10 performs about 25% less than today's CPU. If I were doing video editing and needed more of a decent workstation, I would choose todays woot. If you wanted a more balanced system that had better gaming potential, the newegg system would definitely be better. Remember you need to include the cost of an OS for people that want to build this legitimately to the Newegg deal. I like the hardware that comes with the Newegg deal, it will support a strong videocard if you ever decide to upgrade, and the rest of the components are all top notch.

I mostly agree with what @gak0090 is saying - the Newegg deal (today only until they run out) is a nice bag of parts. But that is not a fair comparison.

+$100/whatever for a legit non-Linux operating system.

Your 2-4 hours building the system is worth something even if you don't think so.

And only a small portion of folks even know how to put a PC together.

You're responsible for debugging/getting it to work. Newegg reviews include scenarios where the parts Newegg sold together had some kind of conflict - don't assume they've actually built the configuration themselves.

gak0090

k2wananb wrote:Go with the one at eCOST. For $50 you're getting twice the video memory (2GB vs. 1GB, though it is still GDDR3 so it's still not ideal for high end gaming), a faster processor with more cores (8-core, 4 GHz. vs. 6-core, 3.5 GHz), and an HDD with twice the storage (2TB vs. 1TB).

re: http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Desktop-Computers/product~dpno~9665614~pdp.icicceg

I agree with you, except this I7 is 4 cores (8 threads) since it is hyperthreaded- but it is about 50% faster on benchmarks than today's woot. The video benchmarks at 3x what today's woot benchmarks at, and many games will play on it (although this is not a "gamers" computer by any means). The PS is nice at 460 watts also. I like it, I think it's worth the extra $$ if you have the jack to spend.

sampath14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sampath14
gak0090 wrote:This will do OK. I have an AMD 1090T 6 core and use it for video editing (it benchmarks about the same as this processor). If you plan on doing a lot of video editing, I would spend a more and wait for a deal on an I7 desktop. Sometimes these can be as low as $550-$600 (for a refurb) if you are patient. Here is one for $659 http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-HPE-H8-1360T-3-4GHz/dp/B00CDXTC24/ref=sr_1_28?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1370347331&sr=1-28

An I7-3770 is going to give you about 50% more processing power than today's processor. This will help render and transcode videos faster. If you don't mind waiting a bit longer, today's 6-core will work fine- it's a decent processor.

Thank you.

Dud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud

Not a deal at all in my book for three reasons:

Reason #1: I have had problems with HP providing warranty support related to a previous purchase ... promised myself I would never buy from them again.

Reason #2: This is a refurbed unit. I have had pretty bad luck with refurbs recently. Combine that with the fact that this is an HP refurb and I foresee a trainwreck.

Reason #3: See reason #1.

gak0090

sampath14 wrote:Thank you.

Someone else posted this deal:
http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Desktop-Computers/product~dpno~9665614~pdp.icicceg

$600 this is a nice deal if you have the cash. It even included a 16gb caching SSD to help speed up performance.

forrest321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forrest321

All I can think of is this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alf19unbtVs

Also the fact that HP is as bad as, or possibly worse than, Dell. They sell crappy products and I've never dealt with such atrocious customer service before, ever... and I've had a Dell. That is really saying something.

*edit: forgot a word.

bayjacob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bayjacob

10 GB of ram o_O Where's Ted Healy? is that 1.5 per slot, or 2 4 gb sticks and 1 2gb sticks? and how is it running with 300 Watt PSU? No Bueno, stay away...

greyhaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyhaven

I'm wondering if the processor really is as great as it sounds. AMD has a bad reputation for a reason. Thoughts?

gak0090

greyhaven wrote:I'm wondering if the processor really is as great as it sounds. AMD has a bad reputation for a reason. Thoughts?

AMD makes great processors and so does Intel. They both have their niches where each one have certain advantages over the other. The processors themselves will almost never be the culprit in a system that is problematic. Most people end up blaming the processor for anything from misconfigured systems, to bad drivers, to malware infestations to crapware that comes with preconfigured computers.

greyhaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyhaven
gak0090 wrote:AMD makes great processors and so does Intel. They both have their niches where each one have certain advantages over the other. The processors themselves will almost never be the culprit in a system that is problematic. Most people end up blaming the processor for anything from misconfigured systems, to bad drivers, to malware infestations to crapware that comes with preconfigured computers.

Good to know, thanks a lot!

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

Woot could offer a Cray supercomputer and everyone will say you have to upgrade the GPU and power supply before you can run a game on it.

Whatever.

gak0090

skrutinizr wrote:Woot could offer a Cray supercomputer and everyone will say you have to upgrade the GPU and power supply before you can run a game on it.

Whatever.

You would probably need to update the OS since Crays usually run Linux or Unix type OS. I'm not quite sure if you could get Windows to load on a Cray.

edit: actually they did make one that ran windows server

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/sep/16/windows.microsoft

this one probably would not need any upgrades (although your home would probably require some rewiring):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/11/13/cray-claims-the-fastest-supercomputing-crown-with-the-nvidia-powered-titan/

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
gak0090 wrote:You would be lucky if they used that configuration. I would guess they are doing 4+4+2, meaning that they are losing the dual channel bandwidth. If you pull the side off and see this, your best bet would be to pull off that last 2GB module. There is not many people that actually use beyond 4GB of memory (unless you are running several virtual OS's or have some other unique setup), 8GB is usually a sweet spot.

The only 4-4-2 configuration that was good was made by Oldsmobile, not HP!

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

gak0090

pukeboy wrote:The only 4-4-2 configuration that was good was made by Oldsmobile, not HP!

agreed

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
gak0090 wrote:AMD makes great processors and so does Intel. They both have their niches where each one have certain advantages over the other. The processors themselves will almost never be the culprit in a system that is problematic. Most people end up blaming the processor for anything from misconfigured systems, to bad drivers, to malware infestations to crapware that comes with preconfigured computers.

Again...consign from me. AMD makes good processors for certain situations.

Intel, and AMD, fanboys are just that...

erihaf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erihaf

This is not a gaming PC by far.

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo
FerretDeprived wrote:Can anyone answer how this computer can run properly with only a 300w PSU? If I get it will the PSU need to be updated?

Thanks in advance.

Because single number ratings for power supplies are absolutely meaningless. so a PSU rated at 500w may in fact be less capable than the one in this machine that someone has rated as 300w. The reason? To take advantage of the "bigger is better" mindset, some companies calculate the max wattage for every single output bus on the PSU, and simply add those together. In reality that same PSU probably cannot provide that total amount of power continuously, and the end user will likely never tax all of the outputs to their maximum levels. A competent builder will generally question the actual wattage cpacity of each separate bus, the 12v, 5v and the separate 3.3v busses as needed. And that does not even address the actual efficiency of the unit, which varies with the load.

Suffice to say that this is an HP and is likely engineered to have the most cost effective (for them) PSU. If they under-engineer it they will likely have a lot of refurbs getting a new PSU and gettng sold on woot or something....

kellic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kellic

You lost me at AMD.

kellic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kellic
erihaf wrote:This is not a gaming PC by far.

Pfft. Most computers ARE gaming PC's now a days with a bit of augmentation. Add a better GPU, add faster RAM, add an SSD. The core system and most CPU's will easily run any game you throw at it. Its the GPU that most systems lack. Oh and a good power supply. You get about 80% of what you need in a moderate gaming rig and for cheap too.