conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3664 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of great reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) on the 55" model over at walmart.com

conanthelibrarian

All the info you want to know on the 55", straight from lg.com

conanthelibrarian

TONS of great reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) and a ton of additional info, straight from lg.com

GodTheHamster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodTheHamster

been looking for a new tv for a long time, best/cheapest 47 you'll get. so i got one.

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian

Seems some people on Amazon are upset because they think it doesn't have 120Hz support because it lacks the "Soap Opera Effect". Many others are saying that lacking the SOE does NOT mean lacking 120Hz support. They argue that Sony and Samsung cause the SOE by poor video manipulation with their 120Hz models and that it's NOT an industry-wide problem.

So be aware of this!

djthread

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djthread

Can anyone tell me if these TV's (47" in particular) will automatically shut off (go to a power saving sleep mode) when the signal goes out? My last TV didn't do this, and I would super prefer it vs having to turn off 2 devices. Neither the product manual nor Google quite seemed to answer this one for me. Thanks!

capguncowboy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages capguncowboy
Jaxidian wrote:Seems some people on Amazon are upset because they think it doesn't have 120Hz support because it lacks the "Soap Opera Effect". Many others are saying that lacking the SOE does NOT mean lacking 120Hz support. They argue that Sony and Samsung cause the SOE by poor video manipulation with their 120Hz models and that it's NOT an industry-wide problem.

So be aware of this!

It's funny -- I recently picked up a Toshiba 120hz TV from Sears and noticed there was no setting to disable it. My old Samsung TV really made everything look cheap when Automotion Plus was enabled so I was used to turning it off and was baffled that the Toshiba didn't have that option. Naturally, after watching a little bit I noticed it didn't have the SOE you speak of and decided I didn't mind it being at 120hz all the time.

mdee89

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mdee89

bought this same model (47") from woot last year. no complaints. works flawlessly and has a solid picture compared to my samsung led 46". very slim and sleek, but has a weak sound if you're not going to be using a sound system.

outoftune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages outoftune

My Sister bought the 47incher a year ago.. It is nothing short of a Stellar Picture..I'm astounded(and jealous)every time I go over to her place and see this on. What a Price here! She paid 650 from W/M. Get either one I say.

theglassrat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theglassrat

Received two dead TVs in a row (both Hisense) from Woot. Luckily they're going to take them back. Cutting my losses and getting this one instead - fingers crossed.

rucool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rucool

Planning to buy this, but with the additional warranty as this is refurbished. Any experience with squaretrade?

TsiAileron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TsiAileron

Any idea how these are shipping? I bought two 55" LG TVs off Woot a couple months ago and they shipped through SEKO. Terrible packing, both TVs with heavy damage... don't want a repeat of that disaster again.

Herman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Herman

Does anyone know how I can buy the squaretrade warranty for the 55" version?

The link only allows purchase of the 47" version ....

Thanks!!

azzzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azzzy

Anybody know how good the 47" is as a computer monitor?

bleepbloop

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bleepbloop

Note that the TV only shows 2 HDMI in ports. I currently have 3 HDMI components hooked to my TV, DVD player, TIVO and my laptop. Unfortunately, this would make these televisions incompatible with my needs.

...anybody want a peanut?

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt

This looks like a great deal, and have been waiting for a good tv deal. However the 120hz issue is scaring me away... Anyone have this and can "unscare me"?

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

zolttt

bleepbloop wrote:Note that the TV only shows 2 HDMI in ports. I currently have 3 HDMI components hooked to my TV, DVD player, TIVO and my laptop. Unfortunately, this would make these televisions incompatible with my needs.

You can get splitters cheap... I have blu ray, Xbox, cable box, and laptop hooked up to a 2 hdmi tv as we speak

BakonWoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BakonWoot
djthread wrote:Can anyone tell me if these TV's (47" in particular) will automatically shut off (go to a power saving sleep mode) when the signal goes out? My last TV didn't do this, and I would super prefer it vs having to turn off 2 devices. Neither the product manual nor Google quite seemed to answer this one for me. Thanks!

I bought this same 47" model new about a year and a half ago, and so far, it's nothing short of fantastic. Mine does indeed go to sleep when no signal is input. At first it goes into a screensaver sleep, and then it will go into the same standby mode as when you switch it off with the remote.

BakonWoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BakonWoot
azzzy wrote:Anybody know how good the 47" is as a computer monitor?

I've connected my 7" Acer Android tablet and my HP desktop (refurb recently gotten from wOOt!) to the 47" LG model via HDMI cable, and it works very well as a monitor. The only problem is that at my normal TV watching distance from the recliner (~12'), the 47" LG gives me the equivalent size of no more than a 17" computer monitor sitting on a desk (and on a 17" monitor w/ 1900x1080 resolution, the normal font sizes would be overly small, for me at least, without enabling some Windows accessibility display functions). For the 47" to be a usably readable PC monitor, I'd need to move the TV no more than about 6-7' away from the recliner, which brings the view angle into the equivalent size range of a 24"+ PC monitor sitting on a desk.

So the answer is yes, but only if it's placed close enough to where you'll be sitting.

Djnaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Djnaz

I have two of these in the 55 in.

It is a great TV but it does however say all over the box and booklet 120HZ Tru-Motion. However there is no setting to turn tru-motion on or off. LG has had other TV's that say tru-motion and no settings which they later release an update to the TV and bam there is the Tru-Motion setting.

I have contacted LG multiple times about this issue and they always say "Tru Motion is always enabled" But when i set this TV next to my other LG with the Tru-Motion setting they look completely different. This TV will NOT get you the Soap Opera Effect.

amos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amos

I REALLY want one of these (no h0mo).

I just can't justify getting it because my current LCD tv still works as good as new.

And it wasn't really state of the art when it was new, so it's really behind the times now.

It's the Olevia 30" http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1729293,00.asp that I got for the low price of $1000 in 2004.

If it would only break I could buy one of these.

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum
bleepbloop wrote:Note that the TV only shows 2 HDMI in ports. I currently have 3 HDMI components hooked to my TV, DVD player, TIVO and my laptop. Unfortunately, this would make these televisions incompatible with my needs.

4X1 Enhanced HDMI® Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote

Monoprice dot com

$28

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143
Jaxidian wrote:Seems some people on Amazon are upset because they think it doesn't have 120Hz support because it lacks the "Soap Opera Effect". Many others are saying that lacking the SOE does NOT mean lacking 120Hz support. They argue that Sony and Samsung cause the SOE by poor video manipulation with their 120Hz models and that it's NOT an industry-wide problem.

So be aware of this!

2 years ago I lived with my sister and she owned a 47in Samsung LED 120 bla bla bla (really expensive tv she bought from Best Buy). A year ago she got married and moved out, taking her tv with her. I bought a 47in LED LG from Woot and it looks better than the samsung in my opinion. The color is a lot brighter and the sound quality is pretty good. It's controls are very different than the Samsung and they may take some getting use to, which may be the reason the other party was having trouble with it. I only want LG tv's from here on out. Great tv at a reasonable price.

milacqua48

quality posts: 3 Private Messages milacqua48

I don't understand - how can anyone buy a tv costing hundreds of dollars sight unseen and that is refurbished to boot? A 90 day warranty is not enough to make me comfortable. I would much rather go to a store, pick out a few models and compare pictures and features and buy the one I like best. Sure, it might cost a few hundred dollars more but this is too big an investment and too important to your family enjoyment and entertainment for many years to come to chance it to something someone returned. A thirty dollar refurbished steam mop I can see but not something like this. I consider buying this hit or miss at best.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf
theglassrat wrote:Received two dead TVs in a row (both Hisense) from Woot. Luckily they're going to take them back. Cutting my losses and getting this one instead - fingers crossed.

That's because Hisense TVs are garbage the second they are built.

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143
amos wrote:I REALLY want one of these (no h0mo).

I just can't justify getting it because my current LCD tv still works as good as new.

And it wasn't really state of the art when it was new, so it's really behind the times now.

It's the Olevia 30" http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1729293,00.asp that I got for the low price of $1000 in 2004.

Sale it on Amazon or give it to a family member. I gave my daughter a 32in to justify me buying a new tv for my bedroom (she didn't have one before). I was in her room yesterday watching her play spongebob wii and felt a tinge of jealousy because I would have killed for that tv when I was younger. If you're anything like me you will find a way to justify it lol

zolttt

milacqua48 wrote:I don't understand - how can anyone buy a tv costing hundreds of dollars sight unseen and that is refurbished to boot? A 90 day warranty is not enough to make me comfortable. I would much rather go to a store, pick out a few models and compare pictures and features and buy the one I like best. Sure, it might cost a few hundred dollars more but this is too big an investment and too important to your family enjoyment and entertainment for many years to come to chance it to something someone returned. A thirty dollar refurbished steam mop I can see but not something like this. I consider buying this hit or miss at best.

I bought a 32 inch refurbished olevia tv 6 years ago... still works fine and just sold it on craigslist for more than 25% the cost of this.

Refurbished doesn't always mean the TV was broken, and then fixed... many times people just return them and they are re-sold, even if something is broken n the TV and is then fixed... why worry?

I have bought many refurbished items, and have had few to no issues with any of them.

Plus... there is always squaretrade

mchard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mchard

can purchase a HDMI splitter to solve this issue.

dukats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dukats
rucool wrote:Planning to buy this, but with the additional warranty as this is refurbished. Any experience with squaretrade?

I bought a refurbished tv online and bought the 1 year squaretrade option. After almost a year, there was a problem with the picture (a red vertical stripe) and I submitted a claim with squaretrade. They refunded the entire cost of the TV and I also got to keep it. Very easy, no hassle. I think if you decide to accept the money in the form of an amazon certificate, you also get a little extra cash.

Anyway, I was really happy with squaretrade and bought a 3 year option for my replacement tv. They did exactly what they said they would and didn't make it difficult.

-dukats

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

This is $10.10 and it's even auto-switching

Some reviews said it didn't work 1080p, but more reviews said it worked fine with 1080p.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-3-In-1-Out-Switch-Cable/product-reviews/B0018DQYQ2/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
amos wrote:I REALLY want one of these (no h0mo).

This is easy. I am the master of this. You gift it. The in-laws or your parents or other siblings? or maybe the kids would like it for their video games. or if you have a garage or workout area-> put it there. Just mount it in you bathroom (that would be cool)- I have a 19 inch flat panel in my bathroom, a 30" would be Epic. Goodluck, I hope this helps.

Cryforequanimity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cryforequanimity

I got the '55 from Sam's Club about 3 months ago, new, for just under $700.

The picture quality is fantastic, it's got a nice, sleek and slim profile. The in-set speakers do really, really suck though. You'll want a receiver (or a splitter, as mentioned above) too, since inputs are limited.

farley999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages farley999
milacqua48 wrote:I don't understand - how can anyone buy a tv costing hundreds of dollars sight unseen and that is refurbished to boot? A 90 day warranty is not enough to make me comfortable. I would much rather go to a store, pick out a few models and compare pictures and features and buy the one I like best. Sure, it might cost a few hundred dollars more but this is too big an investment and too important to your family enjoyment and entertainment for many years to come to chance it to something someone returned. A thirty dollar refurbished steam mop I can see but not something like this. I consider buying this hit or miss at best.

I have bought 7 tv's from woot 32" to 46" all refurbished and all still working.. generally good deals and all for $5 shipped to my door with no sales tax. Square trade fixed me well on one occasion. Open your mind and your dollars go further.

thegrandpappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegrandpappy

How do I get squaretrade for the 55" model?

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

These are not smart TVs, they do not have any apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, Yahoo, etc, therefore, no thanks.

Bill

thegrandpappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegrandpappy
billthegunowner wrote:These are not smart TVs, they do not have any apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, Yahoo, etc, therefore, no thanks.

You can upgrade an external box, but the software in these TVs will be abandoned.