zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt

I personally wish they made the top end tv's without the apps and nonsense... I have an xbox, why would I need the crappy app interface built into these TVs ?

jwsmith6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwsmith6
zolttt wrote:I bought a 32 inch refurbished olevia tv 6 years ago... still works fine and just sold it on craigslist for more than 25% the cost of this.

Refurbished doesn't always mean the TV was broken, and then fixed... many times people just return them and they are re-sold, even if something is broken n the TV and is then fixed... why worry?

I have bought many refurbished items, and have had few to no issues with any of them.

Plus... there is always squaretrade

I don't see a link to a squaretrade warranty...am I missing something?

KaptainKen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KaptainKen

I bought one of the 55 inch models just now. I want to get an extended warranty from Square Trade but clicking on the Square Trade button gets a warranty on the 47 inch model only.

I phoned Square Trade and they said I can only get a warranty from Woot! Does anyone know how to get Woot! to offer me a warranty?

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
amos wrote:I REALLY want one of these (no h0mo).

I just can't justify getting it because my current LCD tv still works as good as new.

And it wasn't really state of the art when it was new, so it's really behind the times now.

It's the Olevia 30" http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1729293,00.asp that I got for the low price of $1000 in 2004.

If it would only break I could buy one of these.

Those old Olevia TV’s are pretty solid and do last forever. But they are power hogs. Check the power consumption compared with this TV and then think about the cash you will save in electric costs.

If I got it right, this 47" LG TV uses 60 watts and your 30" Olevia TV uses 180 watts. Or in other words, in 10 years at 5 hours a day, this 47" TV will cost you $175 and your 30" TV will cost you $520...The 47 LG will save you $345 over 10 years (CA electric costs).

ac6517

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ac6517
dliidlii wrote:$399 for 50" Insignia Refurbished 1080P LCD at Best Buy

That Cowboom one is an LCD screen. My guess would be that this 47" LED for the same price that we have here would be worlds above the 50" LCD Cowboom one being offered over there.

jwsmith6

I don't even see the squaretrade button for the 47". Am I crazy?

KaptainKen wrote:I bought one of the 55 inch models just now. I want to get an extended warranty from Square Trade but clicking on the Square Trade button gets a warranty on the 47 inch model only.

I phoned Square Trade and they said I can only get a warranty from Woot! Does anyone know how to get Woot! to offer me a warranty?

KaptainKen

jwsmith6 wrote:I don't even see the squaretrade button for the 47". Am I crazy?

It was there on my display. On Woot!s front (offering) page toward the bottom. Good luck!

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple
jwsmith6 wrote:I don't even see the squaretrade button for the 47". Am I crazy?

You're likely on a mobile device. The Square Trade (ST) thingy is flash based and Woot/ST still have not figured out how to make the thingy without flash.

Go to a laptop or PC and the ST thingy should show up.

brjacket

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brjacket

How do you get the extended warranty for this? At first the squaretrade button showed up but then it disappeared and I can't get it back.

bluemaple

ac6517 wrote:That Cowboom one is an LCD screen. My guess would be that this 47" LED for the same price that we have here would be worlds above the 50" LCD Cowboom one being offered over there.

Here we go again with the 'LED vs LCD' debate.

All mainstream flat panel TVs are either Plasma or LCD based displays.

This Woot is an LCD display.

The backlighting (the light source that makes the picture bright so you can see it) for an LCD display can be either Fluorescent (CCFL) or LED based.

This Woot has LED backlighting.

BTW, there are further subtleties to the backlighting, but in general, LED requires less energy.

jwsmith6

Been on a PC...and with IE and Chrome...still nothing.

Think Woot took it back? (no take backs woot!)

bluemaple wrote:You're likely on a mobile device. The Square Trade (ST) thingy is flash based and Woot/ST still have not figured out how to make the thingy without flash.

Go to a laptop or PC and the ST thingy should show up.

JLoose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JLoose

I bought an LG 47 inch LED in November. Stopped working in April. Had to pay 280 for repairs because the power supply failed. These are refurbed by some random 3rd party. They basically make a new TV out of broken ones. DO NOT buy a TV from Woot, or at least get the Squaretrade. Or just go to Best Buy.

zolttt

jwsmith6 wrote:Been on a PC...and with IE and Chrome...still nothing.

am I wrong to say that you can just go to squaretrade.com and buy a warranty for any tv? at any time ?

JLoose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JLoose

I bought an LG 47 inch LED in November. Stopped working in April. Had to pay 280 for repairs because the power supply failed. These are refurbed by some random 3rd party. They basically make a new TV out of broken ones. DO NOT buy a TV from Woot, or at least get the Squaretrade. Or just go to Best Buy.

Herman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Herman
zolttt wrote:am I wrong to say that you can just go to squaretrade.com and buy a warranty for any tv? at any time ?

I tried that but squaretrade.com seems to only warranty new TVs with extended warranties on their website ...

zolttt

Herman wrote:I tried that but squaretrade.com seems to only warranty new TVs with extended warranties on their website ...

no it was there earlier, because I looked at the cost. But you can just go there and buy a warranty for a TV based on price range... and its actually cheaper

Herman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Herman
brjacket wrote:How do you get the extended warranty for this? At first the squaretrade button showed up but then it disappeared and I can't get it back.

Same here, it was available before and now it disappeared. not cool woot!

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

looks like the component input jack is a little bent in the photo..

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

jwsmith6 wrote:Been on a PC...and with IE and Chrome...still nothing.

evidently we did. i'm sorry about that.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

fiestazone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiestazone

No warranty here and squaretrades website only offers new tv warranties. We need more than 90 days on refurbs.

bluemaple

PemberDucky wrote:evidently we did. i'm sorry about that.

'Sorry Woot, but ideally a multi-hundred $ refurb product has been refurbed by the product's manufacturer. (At least directionally indicated by the 90 day warranty being from the Manufacturer vs from Woot.)

Lacking manufacturer refurb status, the product should have at least the 90 day Woot warranty + a ST warranty.

While it is true that electronics failures are likely to happen within the first 30-90 days, as commenters have mentioned, they do happen later in the first year as well.

Edit: that does not necessarily mean the ST warranty would be a smart buy - it would depend on the price. But it would indicate that Woot has convinced ST that the product actually was refurbed in a reliable manner vs. simply being put back in the original box and 'calling it good enough'.

RDM1301

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RDM1301

Woot- so no square trade warrant beyond the 90 day limited offer by Woot? Seems like a deal breaker.

Puglouie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Puglouie

How much for the pug in the window?

pndragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pndragon
comma wrote:Oh, look... another TV.

This is the new Roomba.

josephgilmore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josephgilmore
Jaxidian wrote:Seems some people on Amazon are upset because they think it doesn't have 120Hz support because it lacks the "Soap Opera Effect". Many others are saying that lacking the SOE does NOT mean lacking 120Hz support. They argue that Sony and Samsung cause the SOE by poor video manipulation with their 120Hz models and that it's NOT an industry-wide problem.

So be aware of this!

I recently picked up the 47" off of craigslist and can confirm there is no SOE. That being said, moving from an older plasma, I haven't noticed the 120 HZ at all, though all I have it hooked up to is my HTPC. All in all seems to be a great but very basic TV

KaptainKen

RDM1301 wrote:Woot- so no square trade warrant beyond the 90 day limited offer by Woot? Seems like a deal breaker.

Yes. I'm stumped that Woot! offers a Square Trade extended warranty on the 47 inch unit but not on the 55 inch. Same make, same condition (refurbished), similar price ... What gives?

greenmrt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenmrt

Bought 47" LG off of Amazon yesterday and was thrilled with the deal - $550. Now Woot has me bummed. Doh!!

johnhatchett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnhatchett
billthegunowner wrote:These are not smart TVs, they do not have any apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, Yahoo, etc, therefore, no thanks.

Excellent! I despise having all those extras. I just want a simple monitor to attach to my direcTV receivers and DVD player.

lanewid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lanewid

It says 55" is shipped via a freight delivery. Does anyone know if it still is shipped as quickly and efficiently? Does one need to be home to sign for receipt?

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

$399 50" 1080P LCD TV from BestBuy reurbushed
Insignia 50in LCD 1080p 60Hz Flat Panel HDTV
Woot deleted my last mention of this for comparison shoppers but I will post it again and see if they leave it here. Not LED or 120Hgz but easier to return.

Experience stunning high-definition visuals with this Insignia LCD HDTV that features 1080p resolution for arresting picture quality. Two 10W speakers deliver brilliant audio.

Features:
50" screen measured diagonally from corner to corner
For optimal viewing in large rooms.
4-1/2" deep
Can be mounted on a wall (with optional mounting kit, not included). VESA 400mm x 200mm compliant.
Incredible dynamic contrast ratio (8000:1)
Delivers an arresting viewing experience.
High brightness (350 cd/m)
For a highly visible display.
1080p display
Provides a highly detailed picture and is ideal for 1080p-capable content, including Blu-ray movies.
Two 10W speakers
Project crisp, clear audio.
Inputs
Include 3 HDMI (side), 1 DVI (side), 1 component video and 1 composite with shared audio (side), 1 PC (rear) and one 3.5mm PC/DVI audio (rear).
Outputs
Include 1 headphone/analog audio (rear) and 1 coaxial digital audio (side).
3 HDMI inputs
HDMI cable not included. High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a full HDTV experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound.
DVI interface
Provides a direct digital-to-digital video hookup with compatible devices.
PC video input
Lets you connect your computer to experience high-resolution images.
USB port
For quick connection of a digital camera or other USB device.
Useful additional features
Include INlink, a sleep timer and channel labeling.

Specifications:
TV Type: LCD Flat-Panel
Screen Size Class: 50"
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally): 50"
Vertical Resolution: 1080p
Screen Refresh Rate: 60Hz
HDMI Inputs: 3
USB Port: Yes, firmware upgrade/supports Jpeg
USB Input: Yes
DVI Inputs: 1
Component Video Inputs: 1
Composite Inputs: 1
Media Card Slot: No
Watts/Channel: 10
Speakers: 2
Speaker Output Power: 20W
V-Chip: Yes
Power Consumption (watts) Stand-by:
ENERGY STAR Certified: No
Mount Bracket/VESA Pattern: 400mm x 200mm
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 8000:1
PC Inputs: 1
Language Options: English, French, Spanish
Sleep Timer: Yes
Channel Labeling: Yes
Power Consumption (watts) Power On: 220
Brightness: 350 cd/m
Headphone Jacks: Yes
Ethernet Port: No
Energy Consumption (kWh/year): 354
Estimated Yearly Operating Cost: 39

Product Height (with stand): 31-1/4"
Product Height (without stand): 29"
Product Depth (with stand): 11-1/8"
Product Depth (without stand): 4-1/2"

MFG: Insignia
MFG Part: NS-50L240A13

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

dliidlii wrote:$399 50" 1080P LCD TV from BestBuy reurbushed
Insignia 50in LCD 1080p 60Hz Flat Panel HDTV
Woot deleted my last mention of this for comparison shoppers but I will post it again and see if they leave it here. Not LED or 120Hgz but easier to return.

Experience stunning high-definition visuals with this Insignia LCD HDTV that features 1080p resolution for arresting picture quality. Two 10W speakers deliver brilliant audio.

Features:
50" screen measured diagonally from corner to corner
For optimal viewing in large rooms.
4-1/2" deep
Can be mounted on a wall (with optional mounting kit, not included). VESA 400mm x 200mm compliant.
Incredible dynamic contrast ratio (8000:1)
Delivers an arresting viewing experience.
High brightness (350 cd/m)
For a highly visible display.
1080p display
Provides a highly detailed picture and is ideal for 1080p-capable content, including Blu-ray movies.
Two 10W speakers
Project crisp, clear audio.
Inputs
Include 3 HDMI (side), 1 DVI (side), 1 component video and 1 composite with shared audio (side), 1 PC (rear) and one 3.5mm PC/DVI audio (rear).
Outputs
Include 1 headphone/analog audio (rear) and 1 coaxial digital audio (side).
3 HDMI inputs
HDMI cable not included. High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a full HDTV experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound.
DVI interface
Provides a direct digital-to-digital video hookup with compatible devices.
PC video input
Lets you connect your computer to experience high-resolution images.
USB port
For quick connection of a digital camera or other USB device.
Useful additional features
Include INlink, a sleep timer and channel labeling.

Specifications:
TV Type: LCD Flat-Panel
Screen Size Class: 50"
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally): 50"
Vertical Resolution: 1080p
Screen Refresh Rate: 60Hz
HDMI Inputs: 3
USB Port: Yes, firmware upgrade/supports Jpeg
USB Input: Yes
DVI Inputs: 1
Component Video Inputs: 1
Composite Inputs: 1
Media Card Slot: No
Watts/Channel: 10
Speakers: 2
Speaker Output Power: 20W
V-Chip: Yes
Power Consumption (watts) Stand-by:
ENERGY STAR Certified: No
Mount Bracket/VESA Pattern: 400mm x 200mm
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 8000:1
PC Inputs: 1
Language Options: English, French, Spanish
Sleep Timer: Yes
Channel Labeling: Yes
Power Consumption (watts) Power On: 220
Brightness: 350 cd/m
Headphone Jacks: Yes
Ethernet Port: No
Energy Consumption (kWh/year): 354
Estimated Yearly Operating Cost: 39

Product Height (with stand): 31-1/4"
Product Height (without stand): 29"
Product Depth (with stand): 11-1/8"
Product Depth (without stand): 4-1/2"

MFG: Insignia
MFG Part: NS-50L240A13

it was deleted because it's not really a direct comparison. different brand, different specs. it's like comparing a cabbage with an eggplant.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
PemberDucky wrote:it was deleted because it's not really a direct comparison. different brand, different specs. it's like comparing a cabbage with an eggplant.

No. More like comparing a Red Delicious to a Golden Delicious. They're both apples but you may prefer one taste over the other.

I prefer the LED TV here on Woot but others may like the convenience of easier returns.

bluemaple

PemberDucky wrote:it was deleted because it's not really a direct comparison. different brand, different specs. it's like comparing a cabbage with an eggplant.

@PemberDucky, agreed, but perhaps more like a cabbage vs. a grape since they're not both in the vegetable family.

Insignia is a private label sub-brand of Best Buy, just like Dynex. Since Best Buy might not be long for this world I would not hang my hat on their product tree... especially compared to a reputable brand like LG, aka Goldstar aka Lucky Goldstar.

skitchens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skitchens
bleepbloop wrote:Note that the TV only shows 2 HDMI in ports. I currently have 3 HDMI components hooked to my TV, DVD player, TIVO and my laptop. Unfortunately, this would make these televisions incompatible with my needs.

I have the 47" tv offered here and 4 HDMI components. My solution - buy a 3-in-one HDMI switcher from Amazon or Monoprice. There are ones the do it automatically too; very easy and works flawlessly.

keysmad

quality posts: 10 Private Messages keysmad

Does anyone know what you'd have to buy to be able to put the 47" above a mantel on the fireplace. Old tube tv just died and I'm in the dark on what I need to get to go with this thing.

Daveymars

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Daveymars

I stayed in a hotel that had a similar LG TV and it was amazing... It even had an wake up alarm feature.

Does anyone know if either of these has this feature hidden in the menu?

bluemaple

keysmad wrote:Does anyone know what you'd have to buy to be able to put the 47" above a mantel on the fireplace. Old tube tv just died and I'm in the dark on what I need to get to go with this thing.

@keysmad, first I would very carefully consider the results of mounting a TV over the fireplace.

+ Trendy and looks cool.

- If you watch much TV your neck will regret it since our necks are not designed to crunch our spinal cords for hours at a time.

- One of the disadvantages of LCD (Yes, it's LED backlit but still an LCD panel) TV's is limited ideal viewing angles. Get too far off axis and the picture quality suffers greatly.

- Finally, electronics don't like heat and they don't like smoke if you happen to have a wood burning fireplace.

In summary, I would never put a flat panel TV over a fireplace. If it did not fit somewhere else in the room then I'd go looking for another room for it.

MMcCraryNJ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MMcCraryNJ

Anyone buying these TVs should know that these models do not have true 120 Hz panels. Effectively, if you'd like to find out the true refresh rate of the panel (the manuf. specs won't tell you), halve the advertised "Tru-Motion" spec.

These particular models have 60 Hz panels with backlight scanning in order to make them appear to have the same effect as a 120 Hz refresh. But the panel itself is only capable of 60. If you spend a little more and buy an LG TV with an advertised 240 Hz Tru-Motion, those panels are 120 Hz with backlight scanning and black frame insertion effects to make them appear as if they have a 240 Hz refresh (in reality, I don't think there is such a thing as a TV having a native 240 Hz panel).

This is why your Tru-Motion settings on the lower end models are limited to none. HD Guru had caught LG earlier in 2012 doing this to one model, so LG tacked on some bunk settings that did not change the picture in any significant way so that they wouldn't have to admit to it. It's also why LG will make up some stuff about "TruMotion always being on" if you call them to ask about it.

LG and other companies have been getting away with fibbing their refresh rates because, at this point in time, there is not a device capable of outputting anything past 60 Hz. If there were, you would find on these particular models, your TV wouldn't display them in their 120 Hz native because of the panels.

Just so you're aware...it likely won't matter to 90 percent of you, but essentially what you're getting is software processing/backlight effect to mimic a higher refresh than what the panel that's inside the TV actually is.

felixpoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages felixpoon
bbkf wrote:That's because Hisense TVs are garbage the second they are built.

I own 2 Hisense refurb from Woot, 40 inch lcd and led tvs. Each performs perfectly with colors and picture,brightness ,IMHO better than my similar size Samsung which costed me over 4 times as much.Do you own any Hisense tv before you made a comment that they are garbage? There are not lack of any good reviews and happy owners from Costco or Walmart.Go to either site/store and see for yourself what the majority owners say,not from any non owners remark.Just saying.

obiyoyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages obiyoyo

The quote from LG regarding TRUMOTION vs. 120Hz refresh.

"We regret your displeasure in the design of this television. The TruMotion feature has nothing at all to do with the refresh rate of the display panel. Whether the unit has TruMotion set to High, Low, Medium or Off, the panel will still provide a 120 Hz refresh rate. The TruMotion feature is simply in place to allow processing to the signal to smooth frame transitions. We have no indication that any updates will be developed to add adjustment options to this feature."