surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

Does this have GPS? I bought the Asus Transformer Infinity a couple months ago on Woot, and i love it so far...best tablet i ever owned. Not sure how this stacks up

poisedmilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poisedmilk

I apologize if this question was previously asked but what exactly does the refurb offer? Scratches are my biggest pet peeve but I can live with a few. Also, I would like to know if its been given a new battery or one that's already been cycled like 400 times. Thanks

pmzanetti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmzanetti
dmpower wrote:Ipad does not have expandable memory, or an s pen.

LOL because those are positive attributes!

I had a Windows Tablet PC about 10 years ago that looked and functioned about as well as this POS.

While Samsung was busy trying to rip off Apple they should ripped off some quality while they were at it.

bmfap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmfap

love, love, LOVE this tablet. At this price, it's almost worth buying another one just to have as a backup

chandann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chandann
wootbert wrote:Flash Suport Phased out by Google!

One thing to be aware of is the following:

One of the big selling points of Android devices was their Adobe Flash compatibility. Now that flash is being phased out of convention, you won’t be able to download flash from the Play Market.

That said, this was the whole reasoning in getting this tablet, to use it with facebook and some of their flash games.

Looks like this all has come to an end. Instead of making the girlfriend happy, she is now on my back why Facebook games don't work anymore.

Google, that is just Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!!

But you can still get flash from Adobe's archive.

chimunga

quality posts: 7 Private Messages chimunga
poisedmilk wrote:I apologize if this question was previously asked but what exactly does the refurb offer? Scratches are my biggest pet peeve but I can live with a few. Also, I would like to know if its been given a new battery or one that's already been cycled like 400 times. Thanks

My refurb from the last sale had no scratches. It looked brand new. It even had the annoying sticky plastic lining on it to cover up the body.

fanplant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fanplant

Haunt you amazon!!!

$280 @ microcenter...

Kenundrum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Kenundrum

Here's a few tidbits that might help. I have one of these that I bought new.

The S-Pen uses a Wacom digitizer and pen, so if you have other Wacom hardware you will most likely be able to use those pens with this tablet. I have an HP TC1100 from 2004- the stylus from that works with this and has eraser functionality.

Yes this thing has a stand-alone GPS that works pretty well.

For those worried about scratches- the screen has Gorilla glass which is extremely scratch resistant.

The power connector looks like an apple 30 pin but is not. It is a samsung connector that is compatible with the Galaxy tab 10. There are many accessories that can be hooked up to it since it supports USB OTG. I have one that combines a usb host, sd card reader, and micro-sd reader as well as allows the tablet to be charged from a micro-usb cable vs the proprietary cable.

The chargers that come with Samsung tablets do something weird to the usb pins that indicate to the device that it is a samsung charger and therefor safe to consume more wattage. Charging from anything other than an approved charger will have the battery icon display a red X and it will only charge at 500mA (painfully slow).

There is an adapter sold on amazon here that will perform the usb trickery for you allowing you to charge from any usb source at the full rating. For example- a universal 1A charger will charge at the full 1A instead of being limited to .5A by the tablet. It will also allow you to use universal 2A chargers which should charge in about the same time as the stock brick.

Smitelight

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Smitelight

The XDA forums are essentially the be-all/end-all source of custom development for the Android OS. Here's the forum for the Note 10.1".

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1735

The Galaxy Note series of devices is really excellent, for what the opinion of a random message board post is worth. I've owned both the Note I and II phones and used this tablet for work for a week, and they're just obscenely fast for their time. The tablet is an excellent media streamer -- up and downstream -- if you're into vloging and Skype. The quad-core processor gives you all the multithreaded goodness you could ever ask for. Before I turned it back in to the office, I remember one moment of running tTorrent Pro with three very active mp3 torrents from the Humble Indie Bundle, grabbing a new ROM through GooManager, holding a couple conversations on the imo multiple chat clients app, playing Waking Mars in the foreground, and running a handful of background system-like apps like Kernel Tuner, VolumePlus, Android Firewall, etc. I was trying to bog the thing down (Smite haet efficiency!) and I was playing the game with nary a stutter. It was kind of impressive. (Smite loev run-on sentences!)

I honestly don't remember what the benchmarks were. Scratch that -- I remember exactly what they were: a bunch of numbers that have no relevance to anything without context. I'm sure you can find some on the above-linked XDA forums if you care. You'll also find custom kernels, current radio drivers, etc and be able to (safely) overclock the processor to a respectable 1800 MHz with better voltage and processor usage control. IIRC, there's also a mod that'll allow Fastcharge through non-Samsung plugs for what that's worth.

The Galaxy Note tablet is a healthy challenger to the iPad 2 out of the box, and if you feel like digging your grubby little mitts into its ribcage, it'll go further than the late Mr. Jobs ever imagined. Hope this helps anyone on the fence.

hawknj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hawknj

One of the big selling points of Android devices was their Adobe Flash compatibility. Now that flash is being phased out of convention, you won’t be able to download flash from the Play Market.

That said, this was the whole reasoning in getting this tablet, to use it with facebook and some of their flash games.

Looks like this all has come to an end. Instead of making the girlfriend happy, she is now on my back why Facebook games don't work anymore.

I have had this tablet since it came out and you can get flash support all you need to do is side load the flash apk file and it will still run. I have used it to watch movies from Amazon on it and they stream wit no problem. Hunt around you should be able to find the file on the net.

hawknj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hawknj

If you are looking for help or have questions about this tablet there is a forum on Amazon that has been running since around the time of release and a group of us will answer question or point you in the right direction. There is also a Google+ group called Tablet Pens and Sins you can request a join and there again are many that will help you with info on this tablet.

Smitelight

hawknj wrote:I have had this tablet since it came out and you can get flash support all you need to do is side load the flash apk file and it will still run. I have used it to watch movies from Amazon on it and they stream wit no problem. Hunt around you should be able to find the file on the net.

I can do you one better, straight from the horse's gaping, multimedia vomiting mouth:
Latest Flash Player, v11.1.115.58
And all archived versions are found here:
Archived Flash Player versions

samuraiguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samuraiguy

This tablet is awesome for any digital artist looking for a tablet! I've had mine for about 6 months now and love it. I use sketchbook pro with it and it works great for drawing up web comics on the go

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30
Smitelight wrote:I can do you one better, straight from the horse's gaping, multimedia vomiting mouth:
Latest Flash Player, v11.1.115.58
And all archived versions are found here:
Archived Flash Player versions

Exactly, just because a developer stops support for a product doesn't mean you can't still use it.

Remember people this is not an IPad, meaning that you are not locked in to only being able to use the App Store for your apps. All you need is an APK and your good to go.

For those that don't like ads in their apps I recommend using an ad blocker like Adaway. Even though Google pulled these types of apps from the Google Play you can still get them from other sources like below you do have to be rooted for them to work properly though:

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

rahimsach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rahimsach

Does anyone know if this is Factory Refurbished & what kind of warranty it comes with? Thanks!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
sambo989 wrote:flash is dead

They have been saying that for a couple years now, but there are still plenty of educational and game sites that still use flash. It's nice to know that you still have the option to run it. My daughter and son both have an Acer A500 (tegra 2) updated to ICS (via manufacturer updates) that still runs many flash sites just fine.

skj40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skj40

I wish woot accepted Amazon gift cards.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
ckeilah wrote:Does this use the same 30-pin connector as the older Apple iOS devices used? i.e. will the 452 connectors we have for old iOS devices charge and sync this tablet?

You are kidding, right. Nothing Apple fits anything but Apple.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Smitelight

yayobama wrote:The new versions of these online have "polaris office" whereas this one "supports documents type...word, excel, powerpoint." So does that mean this refurb has more universal office software or what? It seems too good to be true that this gadget includes microsoft software that costs about as much as the tablet itself.

The factory-installed apps are completely irrelevant. You can install/remove whatever you like after you buy it. Microsoft offers absolutely nothing in the way of the desktop Office Suite as an app, regardless of OS or manufacturer. Polaris Office is mediocre in most cases.

Typically, Google Drive will cover the MS Office documents you need to open or edit. If you need full compatibility with every niggling XLSM and , either connect to your desktop with something like the excellent Jump Desktop and use the real thing, or use Microsoft's own (occasionally troublesome) Office 365 via Exchange server.

Smitelight

ckeilah wrote:Does this use the same 30-pin connector as the older Apple iOS devices used? i.e. will the 452 connectors we have for old iOS devices charge and sync this tablet?

No. Android tablets are not particularly well known for being Mac-compatible.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
chimunga wrote:My refurb from the last sale had no scratches. It looked brand new. It even had the annoying sticky plastic lining on it to cover up the body.

I bought a referbished Galaxy Tab 10.1 a little more than a year ago from Woot and it looked and worked like brand new.

I currently own this Note 10.1 and it is just fantastic. Once rooted there are so very many things that can be done with it.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

using_the_whole_fist

quality posts: 5 Private Messages using_the_whole_fist

I have this tablet and an iPad 3.

In a lot of ways this is like a slightly less good iPad. Form factor and fit and finish is nice but not quite as nice, display is close but no cigar, battery life is much better than any laptop I've used but not quite iPad level, etc.

However a lot of things are better about Android. If you used it in 2.0 or (lord have mercy) 1.0 I'd advise that you give it another try with an open mind. It has made great strides in usability. Predictably it also has great integration with Google apps, Gmail, etc. Google Maps is really good.

Overall I find myself reaching for the Note more often than the iPad. If you need a tablet and are considering this, you'll probably be very happy with it.

atejedor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atejedor

Hi,

I have just bougth one for a friend. I have one since last Christmas and it is awesome. I'd like to know about the extended waranty with squareTrade. How should I do it? or even better, I have read about American Express extended waranty but It is not clear if it covers this purchase. do somebody have experience with that and can help me, please?

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt
fanplant wrote:Haunt you amazon!!!

$280 @ microcenter...

That is NOT the same tablet. Micro Center's is the older refurbished Samsung GT-P5113-TS16AR Galaxy Tab 2 Tablet (Dual-core cpu, 1GB RAM) & Woot's is a way better newer refurbished Samsung GT-N8013 Galaxy Note (Quad-core cpu, 2GB RAM).

http://www.microcenter.com/product/408292/Galaxy_Tab_2_Tablet_Titanium_Silver_-_Refurbished

Woot's tablet is "no longer available" at Micro Center but still has a great long helpful but brief description of Woot's tablet product feature overview at the web link below (with a 4.7 out of 5 star high rating from 5 reviews):

http://www.microcenter.com/product/404294/Galaxy_Note_Wi-Fi_(GT-N8013EAYXAR)_-_Deep_Grey

mattpope84

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mattpope84
tjmxxx wrote:Better deal on the iPad2 over at cowboom for $229.

this is way better, expandable memory is a HUGE miss by apple

dammit I tried signing in the box with a sharpie but it just ruined my screen... they should be clearer on what they mean with "signature"

mattpope84

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mattpope84
surveyah wrote:Does this have GPS? I bought the Asus Transformer Infinity a couple months ago on Woot, and i love it so far...best tablet i ever owned. Not sure how this stacks up

i bought a 32gb note from costco on sale and then returned it because i got the infinity on woot for cheaper, my wife liked the note better, i like the infinity better, they're almost identical except the note has a lower res. screen, and the note has dual front facing speakers and the stylus. I also think the infinity might be a little bit slower than the note

dammit I tried signing in the box with a sharpie but it just ruined my screen... they should be clearer on what they mean with "signature"

farley1guy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages farley1guy
hawknj wrote:If you are looking for help or have questions about this tablet there is a forum on Amazon that has been running since around the time of release and a group of us will answer question or point you in the right direction. There is also a Google+ group called Tablet Pens and Sins you can request a join and there again are many that will help you with info on this tablet.

Aren't you sharp-eyed types supposed to leave spiffy little hyper-links when you spot an opportunity to be helpful? Granted your post is helpful, but an operating hyper-link would make it Divine. I’m thinking a ½ atta bird, when a 5 woulda/coulda been yours. Thanks hawk.

borntohunt

Here's the good video by Samsung Mobile from Woot's product description:

[GALAXY Note 10.1] Official Hands-on Video

SAMSUNGmobile

Published on Aug 15, 2012

Video Description:

This is the official hands-on video of GALAXY Note 10.1. Learn more about the exciting features that enhance productivity, creativity and learning capabilities.

The GALAXY Note 10.1 is outfitted with the functionality and precision of a pen and paper on a 10.1-inch-large-display.

Featuring an intuitive user experience and armed with superior hardware performance, GALAXY Note 10.1 is designed to simplify idea capturing, information access, and multi-tasking, making each easier and faster.

For more information:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note_10.1/index.html?type=find

[GALAXY Note 10.1] Introducing Premium Suite for GALAXY Note 10.1

SAMSUNGmobile

Published on Nov 22, 2012

Video Description:

"The Premium Suite upgrade for GALAXY Note 10.1 delivers enhanced multitasking and includes a range of new S Pen-optimized features, enhanced content creation and editing capabilities, and an OS upgrade to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean."

reg1233

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reg1233

NOT TRUE - Flash has been phazed out, but Flash can be sideloaded from another site and installed on your tablet or phone. All you have to do is Google search for the file. There are also some browsers in the Google Play Store that incorporate flash within the browser itself.

koolguytai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koolguytai

Anyone know of any functional differences, hardware or software, between the Note 10.1 and the Note 8.0, besides the speakers (Note 10.1: front-facing; Note 8.0: downward-facing)?

borntohunt

It's never too early to get ready for Christmas & help Santa out with a few ideas . . .

[GALAXY Note 10.1 Premium Suite Upgrade] A Note to Santa

SAMSUNGmobile

Published on Dec 13, 2012

Video Description:

Samsung Mobile presents... A Note to Santa.

This 2012 holiday season, join a little girl and her father on a journey to deliver her Christmas wish to Santa and his elves. With the Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 and Premium Suite Upgrade, they create a magical letter using innovative features such as Easy Clip and Quick Command.

Meanwhile, somewhere far away at the North Pole, Santa and his elves toil away with their GALAXY Note 10.1 to prepare for the annual round-the-world journey, from route planning to learning how to craft presents and checking the list of who's been naughty or nice.

Find out if the little girl's Christmas wish comes true . . .

koolguytai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koolguytai
fanplant wrote:Haunt you amazon!!!

$280 @ microcenter...

I think maybe you are confusing this SG Note 10.1 Refurb with the SG Tab 10.1 Refurb at Micro Center. Big difference.

borntohunt

More inspiration . . .

[GALAXY Note 10.1] Be a great creator

SAMSUNGmobile

Published on Sep 11, 2012

Video Description:

GALAXY Note 10.1 places the power to create great things into your hands. Allowing you to write, paint, design, explore and discover a world of inspiration, all through the generous 10.1-inch display and advanced S Pen.

Opening up a whole new world of digital possibilities for how we think about pen and paper, there'll only be one thing left to find out. What will you create?

Note, the new way.

exillinimj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exillinimj

In for one. Even though it may not have as good of a screen as an ipad, you don't get sucked into the evil Apple empire and at $330 it is a good deal.

danbfas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danbfas
pbartleyrn wrote:i just bought the 32GB model at Best Buy Saturday open box for 449. Now I'm thinking maybe I should get this and return the 32 gb one!

You should. This has a microSD slot expandable to 64 gb. I put all my pictures, music and video on the SD, save the HD drive for apps.

mdmuel01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdmuel01

Alright after staring at this deal all day, I am in for one! This should be quite an upgrade from the Acer Iconia Tab A200 I got off Woot a year ago. I really miss the pen feature of my Windows table I got back in 2007.

danbfas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danbfas
danbfas wrote:You should. This has a microSD slot expandable to 64 gb. I put all my pictures, music and video on the SD, save the HD drive for apps.

Oops, sorry. I think 32 is max for the card. Either way, buy 2!

i1patrick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages i1patrick
pbartleyrn wrote:i just bought the 32GB model at Best Buy Saturday open box for 449. Now I'm thinking maybe I should get this and return the 32 gb one!

If you're going to do that, you should move quickly! BestBuy's new returns policy is only 15 DAYS even WITH a receipt! Used to love BestBuy. Now I doubt I'll shop there again.

Last month, I tried to return a new/unopened speaker I had bought. I had my receipt, but it was now day 17. Oh noes!

Had to speak to two managers before I could get the return going. Then the one that agreed to do the refund was acting like he was absolutely bending over backwards to help me out. Long, long explanation of how this is store policy and how they're trying to compete with companies like Wal-Mart, etc. And, in the end he issued it as a store credit, not a credit back on my card.

Like I said, if you're going to get your refund, do it soon!

(By the way I bought the new 8" Galaxy Note about a week ago...liking it a lot so far!)

Rothman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rothman
Deeneaus wrote:FFFFF!!! Sometimes I hate capitalism! I literally paid $30 bucks more for this exactly two months ago now on Woot!

So it wasn't worth $.50/day to get it two months sooner?

dmpower

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmpower
pmzanetti wrote:LOL because those are positive attributes!

I had a Windows Tablet PC about 10 years ago that looked and functioned about as well as this POS.

While Samsung was busy trying to rip off Apple they should ripped off some quality while they were at it.

They are for me. I use it to take inventory, and many other chores that the pen and expandable memory help me with.