WLAURENT

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WLAURENT

Wondering how long before Bose purchases Dyson?

lochnessa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lochnessa
gak0090 wrote:I'll help make your point

always looking for a reason to bring out a Public Enemy reference.

Dyson is a hero to most, but it doesn't mean *)#&% to me. I mean straight out overpriced that sucka is simple and plain. Mother*#%$& them and Beats Headphones.

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser

I started buying Dyson "fans" after spending several days trying to keep our toddler's fingers out of the box fan in the living room. Although I am NOT a baby proofing dad (we do stair gates and nothing else), short of losing a finger tip, I could not get the child to stay away from the fan, especially after he saw his older siblings making the fun voices and noises with it.

YMMV, but I did the 'chasing child' vs. 'exorbitant fan purchase' calculation and the fan won.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Dyson deliberately uses the spec of gallons per second instead of the more industry common cubic feet per minute (cfm) in order to obfuscate their terrible performance.

5.29 gallons per second is equivalent to 42 cubic feet per minute.

Now go compare that to some other tabletop fans, and you'll find that it's awful, positively a pittance.

And the air drawn in is the SAME as the air expelled. "Air multiplication" is a fraud. What actually happens is that the 42cfm is drawn in through a conventional blower in the base, that air is forced through a ridiculously narrow plenum (thereby resulting in a high noise level) and then through a narrow oval-shaped opening.

There is a legitimate aerodynamic phenomenon called "entrapment". So, yes, additional air is brought into the flow. But here's the difference vs. what Dyson wants you to infer from their marketing speak. There is NO increase in flow rate. What happens is that a relatively fast flow of air coming out of the narrow opening transforms into a wider and much slower flow of air. Energy is conserved. Momentum is conserved. So the effectively output flow rate, perceived by the movement of air on the fan output, is no greater than the input flow rate of 42 cfm.

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

Now where to get the Dyson Bong....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/257/d/9/dyson_bong_by_blackrock3-d5emoqq.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blackrock3.deviantart.com/art/Dyson-Bong-326904002&h=490&w=550&sz=108&tbnid=0DIfg0F6o6EsaM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=101&zoom=1&usg=__XdjXbpeosFbJBiWX-1PNrSdD3Zw=&docid=4rtzLQxwXbrBXM&sa=X&ei=QZO3UcDKPI2MigK-_4CoCA&ved=0CIMBEPUBMAk&dur=27

skildude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skildude

very very very over priced items. Dyson that is. It's not that revolutionary and you get to pay extra because they made a clever design. It is true this is a status symbol item. Even though it doesn't work as well as a regular table fan people flock to them and toss good money after bad.

As far as refurbished goes, The term is loosely used to denote returned items but also and usually notes items that didn't pass inspection at the factory and had to be broken back down to repair the fault. They can't sell it as OEM because it has been repaired. THus the refurb label.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
WLAURENT wrote:Wondering how long before Bose purchases Dyson?

@WLAURENT, now, now, Dyson might share premium pricing with BOSE, but at least most Dyson stuff is pretty well put together. No cause for trashing the Dyson name by attempting to associate the crappy sounding BOSE brand with it.

BTW, did anyone notice the Woot Batteies page deals currently going on? I accidentally stumbled on them and am not sure I could find them again without:

http://tech.woot.com/plus/batteries-3

skip698

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skip698

I didn’t notice the change away from $5 for all orders shipped on same day and placed two orders a minute apart and was charged $5 for both. I couldn’t believe they wouldn’t issue me a credit for the $5. Hard to believe they’d treat such a regular customer this way.

skip698

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skip698

I didn’t notice the change away from $5 for all orders shipped on same day and placed two orders a minute apart and was charged $5 for both. I couldn’t believe they wouldn’t issue me a credit for the $5. Hard to believe they’d treat such a regular customer this way.

laverite

quality posts: 4 Private Messages laverite

Crap! We got one recently and I was so excited to have a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond to get it. ...for about $300.

Gotta say tho that it works great to move the air and boost the comfort of one room that just isn't served by our ductwork system. It's also super safe for our 3yo grandson to be around and it's amusing as h*ll.

I recommend it with enthusiasm especially since that's less than half the retail price of a new one.

xyrcncp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xyrcncp
cameronpurdy wrote:Most "refurbished" items are actually "returned" items; they can not (by law) be sold as new.

I'm amazed that after so many years people are still hanging on the "I'm so surprised that there are so many [enter brand here] refurbished items..."

I guess these people rather be lied to and not have laws to protect them and have returned, refurbished or remanufactured items sold to them as new. Maybe these are the same people who purchase the undercoating or the clearcoat protectant when they buy a car.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
polysorbate wrote:Now where to get the Dyson Bong....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/257/d/9/dyson_bong_by_blackrock3-d5emoqq.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blackrock3.deviantart.com/art/Dyson-Bong-326904002&h=490&w=550&sz=108&tbnid=0DIfg0F6o6EsaM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=101&zoom=1&usg=__XdjXbpeosFbJBiWX-1PNrSdD3Zw=&docid=4rtzLQxwXbrBXM&sa=X&ei=QZO3UcDKPI2MigK-_4CoCA&ved=0CIMBEPUBMAk&dur=27

Apparently this vacuum can either reverse the motor, or has a blower port on it. The beater brush is hopefully disengaged, but that could also be used as a function to test how wasted you are. I like the carb that is drawn by his hand. The best use I've seen a Dyson put to yet.

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389
xyrcncp wrote:I'm amazed that after so many years people are still hanging on the "I'm so surprised that there are so many [enter brand here] refurbished items..."

I guess these people rather be lied to and not have laws to protect them and have returned, refurbished or remanufactured items sold to them as new. Maybe these are the same people who purchase the undercoating or the clearcoat protectant when they buy a car.

its kinda funny i worked in 2 big retail stores for over 4 years and both of them nearly always sold returned stuff as new :P

MarkyMayhem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarkyMayhem
bruce57 wrote:Oh, please...Macs aren't "status symbols" — and your ignorance is showing...

wrong .. he was right ... nobody pays for a Mac unless they want a staus symbol ... they are WAY over-priced. Industry use of Windows proves that! ... duhhh ;)

rayrui

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rayrui

$180 for a refurbished fan that looks kinda cool? Sorry, no dice.

jdyett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdyett

Mine just arrived: broken as the day it was originally returned by the sucker who bought it new. Thanks Woot!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

jdyett wrote:Mine just arrived: broken as the day it was originally returned by the sucker who bought it new. Thanks Woot!

sorry to hear that.
please email Support@Woot.com so we can resolve this.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

pockets8031

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pockets8031

Bought Fan/Heater for $150 and they had a recall on them it was replaced with a new unit and given a full 2 year warranty. What other company would replace a defective unit with a brand new one and give you a full 2 year warranty not any computer parts manufacture I know of; aside from any brand of ram.