WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Toshiba 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop

Speed to First Woot:
2m 58.556s
First Sucker:
samirthapa
Last Wooter to Woot:
dandydesertdude
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 39% of Woot.com Woots
Top 37% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 21% of Woot.com Woots
Top 16% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 28% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 19% < 25 woots
  • 16% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 22% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 8% one year old
  • 66% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

1%
2%
1%
1%
1%
2%
2%
4%
6%
8%
8%
8%
5%
5%
3%
6%
4%
5%
5%
5%
4%
4%
9%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

Item: Toshiba 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/21/2013 - $399.99 (Woot-off) - 9 comment(s)
5/20/2013 - $429.99 - 48 comment(s)


sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

lichme


quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

Reviews and more info from the Product Page

bmrbill


quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

Product website.

Edited to say: lichme beat me to it!

dliidlii


quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Win 8 but no touch screen.

bmrbill


quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

More reviews.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3527 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.6 put of 5.0) over at amd.com

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

The AMD A10-4600M CPU has an Average CPU Mark of 3162, ranking it #370 among CPUs. Not awful but not great. The 4 cores is certainly enough to handle most tasks, although hardcore gamers will want to look elsehere. I'm totally ignorant about the graphics card though.

mjkane1


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mjkane1

Can anyone answer, how is this comparable to say an intel i5 or i7? I have a Turion Dual core M600 2.4ghz (4+ years old), and am looking for an upgrade....


Thanks in advance from a non-geek!

...Did I just buy that?

Eliaz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eliaz
conanthelibrarian wrote:Great reviews (4.6 put of 5.0) over at amd.com



Those are the same reviews as Walmart, minus a few of the bad ones

greg sawyer


quality posts: 1 Private Messages greg sawyer

Bought this last time around... I've only had it for a couple of weeks... but so far I am impressed. Certainly fast enough for all the usual stuff...

n8lightfoot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages n8lightfoot

Not too excited about Windows 8, anyone want to chime in on how well this has worked out for games for them or if they have downgraded to windows 7 with any luck?

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

One thing to consider is that this is a 15.6" laptop with a keypad. While a keypad is nice for data entry, gaming and entering ALT-characters, it's usually only on 17"+ laptops. Its presence on smaller models usually means that the keyboard isn't full size. That's something touch typists might want to consider.

Also note that this uses a island style keyboard, not the full travel keys of a desktop. Again, touch typists may not like this. In the past, these keys were know as chichlets (after the candy) and usually a sign of a cheap computer. In fact, the IBM PC jr (aka "the Peanut") was doomed mostly because it came with a chichlet keyboard. Many younger users today don't mind.

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
mjkane1 wrote:Can anyone answer, how is this comparable to say an intel i5 or i7? I have a Turion Dual core M600 2.4ghz (4+ years old), and am looking for an upgrade....


Thanks in advance from a non-geek!



As somewhat of a novice myself, you're asking the same question I asked a fe weeks ago. What I've learned is that your question can't be answered as worded. In the 80's, everything was so much easier. There was a CPU (80286, 80386, 80486, etc) and a Frequncy number, i.e. 2.3ghz. It was simple to compare CPUs. Now there are so many variables that you can't simply say i3, i5 or i7. A fast i5, for exmple, can be faster than a slow i7. Not only do you have to consider frequency, but the number of cores as well. I've seen 4 core i7s at 1.9 ghz perform better than a 2 core i5 running at 2.8ghz (I think those were the numbers). And many other variables...

So there really is no answer to how this AMD compares to an i5 or i7, unless you specify which i5 or i7.

Here is a comparison that you may find useful. Your Turion Dual core M600 2.4ghz has a Pass Mark score of 1376 (ranking #826 of all CPUs), while this AMD scores 3162 (ranking #370). In other words, this computer is much faster. The lower the ranking, the better. Please note that there is more to a computer's performance than CPU speed alone. For example, there is memory speed, how much memory you have, hard drive speed, graphics processor, operating system (Win 8 is supposedly pretty speedy), etc.

Click here to see your m600
Click here to see this AMD 4600M

I'm currently considering this Woot deal as well as an i7 laptop for about $100 more. The i7 CPU I'm considering has a Pass Mark of over 7000, and ranks about #80.

drallen85


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drallen85
sdc100 wrote:One thing to consider is that this is a 15.6" laptop with a keypad. While a keypad is nice for data entry, gaming and entering ALT-characters, it's usually only on 17"+ laptops. Its presence on smaller models usually means that the keyboard isn't full size. That's something touch typists might want to consider.

Also note that this uses a island style keyboard, not the full travel keys of a desktop. Again, touch typists may not like this. In the past, these keys were know as chichlets (after the candy) and usually a sign of a cheap computer. In fact, the IBM PC jr (aka "the Peanut") was doomed mostly because it came with a chichlet keyboard. Many younger users today don't mind.



First, the 10-key is becoming standard on 15.6" laptops. Second, the "chiclet" keyboard has become mainstream. Lenovo, Apple, Toshiba, HP, Sony, Asus, Acer, etc all utilize this style keyboard.

I should note so this post doesn't look like a pure argument. I'm not normally a fan of Toshiba, but the specs on this and the price are not bad in the least. If you need a laptop that will suffice for every day use and a bit more, pull the trigger. You won't find much of a better deal even refurb. The A10-4600M has been a solid proc for my customers, and being able to upgrade it to 16GB of RAM is always a plus. Now just through a 256GB SSD in it and you'll be set.

kecker


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kecker

Decent enough laptop, but Windows 8 is a deal breaker. Want nothing to do with that piece of Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop! and getting another Win7 license costs too much to make this deal worth it.

I'm too cool for a signature.

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
drallen85 wrote:First, the 10-key is becoming standard on 15.6" laptops. Second, the "chiclet" keyboard has become mainstream. Lenovo, Apple, Toshiba, HP, Sony, Asus, Acer, etc all utilize this style keyboard.

I should note so this post doesn't look like a pure argument. I'm not normally a fan of Toshiba, but the specs on this and the price are not bad in the least. If you need a laptop that will suffice for every day use and a bit more, pull the trigger. You won't find much of a better deal even refurb. The A10-4600M has been a solid proc for my customers, and being able to upgrade it to 16GB of RAM is always a plus. Now just through a 256GB SSD in it and you'll be set.



I don't understand your complaint. My point is simply that this isn't a fullsize keyboard. Do you disagree? I, as well as my colleagues, do indeed have problems adjusting to the smaller keyboard and prefer to do without the keypad. We can always plug in a USB keypad if necessary.

As for the island keys, again, what is your point? So what if it's become mainstream? i acknowledged that younger users don't mind, and they often drive the mainstream market. So I;'m not sure what you're trying to correct. Mainstream or not, it's still nto full travel, and touch typists still prefer that. Ask any transcriptionist, where speed and accuracy are paramount. My secretary and medical transcriber refuse to use these keyboards. The reason they have become mainstream is not due to usability but other factors. They are MUCH cheaper to make, and allow thinner laptops (because they're not full travel). YOu can also backlight them. But in terms of reliability, they generally suffer. Many island keyboards simply use bubble membrane keys -- the major source of remote control failure.

So what exactly is your protest?

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

Anpther thing to keep in mind is that this Refurbished laptop is NOT warrantied by Toshiba. The warranty is offered by Woot. I generally avoid third party refurbishers and warranters but I have to add that Woot's Customer Service is top rate. So if that's any indication, I'd feel safe buying this laptop.

mevande


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
n8lightfoot wrote:Not too excited about Windows 8, anyone want to chime in on how well this has worked out for games for them or if they have downgraded to windows 7 with any luck?



You can make the Windows 8 user interface look like Windows 7 with a neat little interface I wrote. You can toggle back and forth between Win8 and Wint GUI

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
wire wrote:Toshiba and W8 both carp



From Square Trade Research
"SquareTrade analyzed failure rates for over 30,000 new laptop computers covered by SquareTrade Laptop Warranty plans and found that one-third of all laptops will fail within 3 years. SquareTrade also found that netbooks are 20% more unreliable than other laptops, and that Asus and Toshiba are the most reliable laptop brands"

cdbron


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cdbron
wire wrote:Toshiba and W8 both carp



Your comment sounds fishy to me...

ricktt3


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ricktt3

We had to buy a new laptop for my wife two nights ago for school. Windows 8 is certainly a learning experience. However, I spent some time with it and I am learning the easiest ways to navigate and "bend it to my will!" While I certainly should not have to spend so much time getting rid of all the crap tiles off the start screen, I equate that to removing a ton of bloatware off of a new computer - aggravating but a necessary requirement of buying a new computer. Once you get the interface the way you want it, and learn some of the quirks, it's not really that bad. My wife is taking to it faster than the Mac I bought 6 months ago.

Jayrookie


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

I have the 17" same computer with windows 7 that I picked up from HHgregg about a yeasr ago for 550. Love it, works great. Keyboard doesn;t light up which I wish it did. Screen could have a tad nicer display but it fills the void of what I need the laptop for. ESP at this price.

SerenityVFR


quality posts: 1 Private Messages SerenityVFR

I wonder how hard it would be to load real OS (like some linux distro) on this that doesn't look like some cheesy kid's toy from the early 90's.

This UI looks like a cheap Chinese knockoff of a low-end Speak N Spell.

advncomp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages advncomp
n8lightfoot wrote:Not too excited about Windows 8, anyone want to chime in on how well this has worked out for games for them or if they have downgraded to windows 7 with any luck?



If you do not like Windows 8 a nice addin called classic shell gives you the opportunity to choose how you view Win8. You can see it as Win7, XP or VIsta. Classic Shell is a nice workaround especially if you do not have a touch screen.

trekkie4christ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages trekkie4christ
n8lightfoot wrote:Not too excited about Windows 8, anyone want to chime in on how well this has worked out for games for them or if they have downgraded to windows 7 with any luck?



I got this specifically for my (admittedly humble) gaming needs. The i7s are so much more expensive and the way AMD integrated the graphics with the processor is far superior to Intel's HD graphics. I've had a great experience with gaming on it, but I'm also not running the latest stuff either. I got this to run Skyrim well and it does that and more, so I'm very happy. While Windows 8 is still a bit bothersome, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker, since you can mod it to function on the user end almost identically to 7.

Tatts


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tatts
sdc100 wrote:One thing to consider is that this is a 15.6" laptop with a keypad. While a keypad is nice for data entry, gaming and entering ALT-characters, it's usually only on 17"+ laptops. Its presence on smaller models usually means that the keyboard isn't full size. That's something touch typists might want to consider.



No, the keyboard is full-sized--at least the main section and the numeric keypad. Together, they are just over 14" wide, the same as those two sections on a standard desktop keyboard.

They saved room by using half-height Function keys and navigation keys and relocating them, like most laptops. I dislike the smaller arrow keys, but for standard typing use the keyboard is full size.

nmchapma


quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

"Pretty exciting stuff coming down the pipeline, if we do say so ourselves. So grab this Toshiba and get in on the ground floor!"

Wouldn't we be getting in on about the 2/5 floor? (.32 floor if you count them all)

massimj


quality posts: 0 Private Messages massimj

An AMD Quad Core CPU does not hold a candle up to Intels I5 Quad core. Do your homework, Intel is driving AMD out of business. You will see lot's of AMD powered computers for sale, but not Intel.

lichme wrote:Item: Toshiba 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/21/2013 - $399.99 (Woot-off) - 9 comment(s)
5/20/2013 - $429.99 - 48 comment(s)



noahsmybro


quality posts: 6 Private Messages noahsmybro
sdc100 wrote:Anpther thing to keep in mind is that this Refurbished laptop is NOT warrantied by Toshiba. The warranty is offered by Woot. I generally avoid third party refurbishers and warranters but I have to add that Woot's Customer Service is top rate. So if that's any indication, I'd feel safe buying this laptop.



FWIW: A couple of years ago I bought a refurb Asus from Woot. The Asus included a short Asus warranty. (I love Asus hardware, btw.)

The laptop was defective from the start, and Asus support was absolutely dreadful.

Woot customer service was absolutely wonderful, and other than my aggravation the entire experience only cost me $5 when all was said & done. (I returned the laptop to Woot at the end of the day.)

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
sdc100 wrote:The AMD A10-4600M CPU has an Average CPU Mark of 3162, ranking it #370 among CPUs. Not awful but not great. The 4 cores is certainly enough to handle most tasks, although hardcore gamers will want to look elsehere. I'm totally ignorant about the graphics card though.



If you google the type of card and then "passmark" you can get the average G3D mark. The HD7660 has an average G3D mark of 824, as a comparison Intel HD 4000 is 466. A Geforce GTS 240 has a passmark of 873. So it's decent graphics for on processor graphics, with some light to moderate gaming potential.

ashli143


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143
gusvonpooch wrote:From Square Trade Research
"SquareTrade analyzed failure rates for over 30,000 new laptop computers covered by SquareTrade Laptop Warranty plans and found that one-third of all laptops will fail within 3 years. SquareTrade also found that netbooks are 20% more unreliable than other laptops, and that Asus and Toshiba are the most reliable laptop brands"



Yeah, I was trying to wrap my head around his comment too - Toshiba is one of the best laptop brands imo.

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
massimj wrote:An AMD Quad Core CPU does not hold a candle up to Intels I5 Quad core. Do your homework, Intel is driving AMD out of business. You will see lot's of AMD powered computers for sale, but not Intel.



You are comparing apples to oranges- both companies make great processors with their own niches. The AMD APU's are more balanced regarding on chip GPU performance and CPU performance. Intel chips are weighted towards CPU performance and lighter on graphics performance. I have built great systems with both chips. I like using the AMD A-10 processors in my mediacenters, because I like an all-in-one solution so that I don't need a separate graphics card. The A10 is fast enough to do whatever videoencoding I need, and it works great with my Ceton Cable tuner. On the other hand I like the Intel I5 or the I7 if I'm doing a lot of video rendering or transcoding- because I want more CPU power. For laptops AMD is a nice solution, because their processors generally have better graphics that lends itself to allow some gaming and better multimedia experience- Having said that, I have a laptop that has an I5 and one that has an AMD APU- and they are both great.

slbbw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slbbw

Can I use a mouse?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

For those commenting on Windows 8, you might as well give it up.

All new Windows computers and now most refurbished some with Windows 8. It's really not a valid point for a buying decision any more. And, as many have pointed out, there are add-ons out there that give you the Windows 7 UI.

So let's take a vote on what the next fad will be for y'all to say you're not interested. You've gone through HDMI, Windows 8, and USB 3.0. We need something new. Come on!



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

icold


quality posts: 0 Private Messages icold

Windows8
LOL.... No thanks.


[MOD: Brat ]

aldenm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldenm

I don't care if you were offering a trip on the space shuttle. If it has Windows 8, it's a loser. Sorry.

Alden

perpetuallyfrozen


quality posts: 1 Private Messages perpetuallyfrozen

I ended up getting one of these the last time around, and have only had it for a few weeks now. Overall, it has been able to handle most of my needs (semi-casual gaming, development), however I do have one qualm with it. The keys seem fairly cheap, and often I find myself almost smashing at the keyboard to ensure that characters are not missed while I am typing. It is actually a pretty big deal to me, since I do use it for development, and I somewhat regret getting this laptop as a replacement to the HP dual core that went up a few weeks before this one.

garyt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages garyt

Decent laptop for the price. Also I don't understand all the hate for Windows 8. You can still use the desktop interface that your used to minus the start button. The swipe shortcuts on the touchpad are a massive improvement. If you spend any time with it I think you'll be surprised by how easy it is to navigate.