lichme

quality posts: 3194 Private Messages lichme

Item: INVICTA Men's Specialty Watch
Price: $34.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

mjkane1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mjkane1

Japenese movement, Chinese everything else.

Love you Woot, but as a watch aficionado, pass.

...Did I just buy that?

knightry

quality posts: 2 Private Messages knightry

Isn't this what the new woot watches is for?

lichme

quality posts: 3194 Private Messages lichme

Here are some reviews on the Black

[Mod Edit] corrected link.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

dpb39

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dpb39

$495? What about this watch would lead me to believe it is worth even a tenth of that?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
knightry wrote:Isn't this what the new woot watches is for?

Exactly my thought. Oh well, easier to ween from woot this way.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

zonkerrob

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zonkerrob

Got something of value to put on today's Woot? Something, anything, give us a quality Woot. We're dying here.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Looks like this would be a decent work watch that I would not have to worry about scratching up.

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 43 Private Messages skispeakeasy

Seems like a good deal to me. It's $10 cheaper than Amazon and it seems like a lot of people like the look:
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-12848-Specialty-Black-Orange/dp/B00962GVU6/
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-12847-Specialty-Watch-Bezel/dp/B00962GV2E/

I would buy one, but I'm not a fan of roman numerals.

bawanaal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bawanaal
dpb39 wrote:$495? What about this watch would lead me to believe it is worth even a tenth of that?

That's a long known Invicta trick. They vastly inflate the MSRP on their watches, making you feel like you're getting a great deal when you buy the watch at what is a much lower, everyday price.

duckfanbuck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages duckfanbuck
dpb39 wrote:$495? What about this watch would lead me to believe it is worth even a tenth of that?

Do you know NOTHING about watches? The crystal is FLAME-FUSED!

djkid1974

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djkid1974

I'm confused by the "BLUE" one. The color is obvious on all of the models but I fail to see any BLUE on the one pictur titled "Blue". I see a Gold rim?

ahhh.. now I understand. All of the others have black bands and this one has a Blue band. There's no blue around the dial though.

softdelusion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages softdelusion

While not this specific model, I do own an Invicta watch, and they are quite durable. I'm a registered nurse and knock into all sorts of equipment, plus lord knows what I touch, and there isn't a single scratch on it. The band I have is super easy to clean and sanitize. I really do recommend them, especially at this price!

mnuahs

quality posts: 13 Private Messages mnuahs
lichme wrote:Here are some reviews on the Black

That's not the same model watch. Why do so many people post links to reviews that aren't even the same product. Don't be in such a rush to get the first post.

This should be the Yellow model. I would say the reviews are generally positive but there are a few "doesn't keep time" reviews in there as well.

edit: oops, meant to quote your 2nd post. fixed it.

Sinjz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sinjz

Will we ever be able to use Amazon gift cards on this site?

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57

Gosh, you know what? Maybe it's not. But since it's selling for less than that, what does it matter? We all know watches have insane "suggested retail prices" - but since that's not what you're paying, who cares? And, no, no one that's smart uses a watch's MSRP vs. selling price to decide if it's a good deal...they do a search, see what it's actually SELLING for elsewhere, check reviews...and then decides.

furtech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furtech

Is there some significance to the color change at the 35 mark? Or is this just a visual design element (with no practical use)?

rraczkow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rraczkow
djkid1974 wrote:I'm confused by the "BLUE" one. The color is obvious on all of the models but I fail to see any BLUE on the one pictur titled "Blue". I see a Gold rim?

ahhh.. now I understand. All of the others have black bands and this one has a Blue band. There's no blue around the dial though.

Your screen might not be right, there is definitely blue on the band and blue and gold around the dial.

I have a more expensive model of Invicta for the past couple of years and love it. A bit bulky for me, but it works great and looks fantastic. I plan on getting one of these for a cheap work watch.

Oh and they sell these at Sams Club (walmarts version of costco)

Kirkstone

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kirkstone

Almost 1/2" thick and 1 3/4" diameter? I know it's the style, but I don't want that big honking thing on my wrist. No wonder people are using their phones for clocks instead. I hope fashion swings back to thin, smaller faced watches before the ones I have that I can wear and hardly know they're there die.

hroen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hroen

Why is there a color shift at 35 minutes?

Harris Roen

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle

I'm not sure it matters how much the "discount" is on the ugly watch. It's still an ugly watch.

jeffofmann

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffofmann
hroen wrote:Why is there a color shift at 35 minutes?

Looks like it's used for diving. If you set you watch not for the time, but for how much air you have in your tank, it can give you that change of color for when you know you've only got about 25 left. Most standard diving tanks have about 45 minutes to an hour of oxygen in them, so it's useful to know when you have to swim out of that cave and the change of color serves as contrast from the rest of the watch.

zondervon951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zondervon951

Why not use the internet YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING and look it up. Just a thought.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Invicta, the poor man's Timex.

Reminds me of the Cross pen knock-off sold at the Dollar Store with a little gold colored tag on the case with a $125 price on it.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

zondervon951

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zondervon951
Kirkstone wrote:Almost 1/2" thick and 1 3/4" diameter? I know it's the style, but I don't want that big honking thing on my wrist. No wonder people are using their phones for clocks instead. I hope fashion swings back to thin, smaller faced watches before the ones I have that I can wear and hardly know they're there die.

It's a diver's watch. Hence the big honking size

radi0j0hn

zondervon951 wrote:Why not use the internet YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING and look it up. Just a thought.

Because he is posting an opinion. It's called a rhetorical question. Commonly used in the English language to make a point.

Just a better thought.

radi0j0hn

conanthelibrarian wrote:Looks like this would be a decent work watch that I would not have to worry about scratching up.

Unless it has a mineral crystal cover, it's going to scratch up.

promisedplanet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages promisedplanet
bruce57 wrote:Gosh, you know what? Maybe it's not. But since it's selling for less than that, what does it matter? We all know watches have insane "suggested retail prices" - but since that's not what you're paying, who cares? And, no, no one that's smart uses a watch's MSRP vs. selling price to decide if it's a good deal...they do a search, see what it's actually SELLING for elsewhere, check reviews...and then decides.

You gotta admit, though, it's rare that Woot says something is NINETY THREE PERCENT off list price.

davidwot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidwot
jeffofmann wrote:Looks like it's used for diving. If you set you watch not for the time, but for how much air you have in your tank, it can give you that change of color for when you know you've only got about 25 left. Most standard diving tanks have about 45 minutes to an hour of oxygen in them, so it's useful to know when you have to swim out of that cave and the change of color serves as contrast from the rest of the watch.

Careful. This is not a diving watch. I had purchased an Invicta "Russian Diver" or "Russian Submariner" (can't remember exactly what the misleading name was). It was all show and no substance.

Like this one appears, the bezel doesn't even rotate. So, as diver watch, that alone renders all the ostentatious markings virtually useless.

Is it worth the Woot price? If it keeps time and you like the faux diver look - Sure! I use mine for painting, as it wasn't worth the time to send it back once I saw it in hand.

Amazon also carries Momentum Watches like the one I bought up to that works great for sailing, snorkeling, diving, etc.

Now a decent deal on a decent Momentum watch would be nice to see.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

ZERO "0" Customer Service From INVICTA.

Before you buy an Invicta you may want to Read This!

I could fill up thee pages of comments on all the known problems, ethics, less than honest sales techniques, crap for customer service, etc., about INVICTA but it is easier just to share a couple links that will get you to some facts you should know before you spend your hard earned cash on this brand. These three links have to do with customer service issues. And, these are by no means the only complaints to be found on the web and are just a small sample. Google it yourself.

Customer service is always a true indication to what all of a company is about or, not about in the case of INVICTA.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Invicta-Watch/internet/Invicta-Watch-Invicta-Watch-USA-Repair-Service-Fraud-Non-Responsive-and-You-May-Ne-950838

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/invicta-watches.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/invicta-watch-group-c227759.html

BBB also rates the company with an F but many state that the BBB is not what it used to be and a rating can be "purchased". I have no clue as to any truth in that but since I see that quite a bit when the BBB is brought up in discussions I left out their link. But for what it is worth to those that trust the BBB, I did note the rating they give Invicta.

mikemtn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikemtn

I can go to the carnival and win a $495 watch for a quarter.

pooterwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pooterwooter
jeffofmann wrote:Looks like it's used for diving. If you set you watch not for the time, but for how much air you have in your tank, it can give you that change of color for when you know you've only got about 25 left. Most standard diving tanks have about 45 minutes to an hour of oxygen in them, so it's useful to know when you have to swim out of that cave and the change of color serves as contrast from the rest of the watch.

The color change at the 35 minute mark maybe a diver's watch feature, but if you are using a $34 watch to rely on knowing when to leave the cave for lack of oxygen in your air tank, you are likely living your life on borrowed time anyway. Stay away from me during a lightning storm. Invicta is known for adding colorful bold and USELESS design elements to their dials. That said, I do own another high-end Invicta Automatic watch, couldn't be happier with it.

pooterwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pooterwooter
radi0j0hn wrote:Unless it has a mineral crystal cover, it's going to scratch up.

I've had an Invicta watch with the Flame Fusion Crystal for several years now. I am rough on watches but there is not a scratch on it. I believe their claims regarding the Flame Fusion faces.

radi0j0hn

pooterwooter wrote:I've had an Invicta watch with the Flame Fusion Crystal for several years now. I am rough on watches but there is not a scratch on it. I believe their claims regarding the Flame Fusion faces.

That's good news! Thanks!

riffraf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riffraf
jeffofmann wrote:Looks like it's used for diving...Most standard diving tanks have about 45 minutes to an hour of oxygen in them, so it's useful to know when you have to swim out of that cave and the change of color serves as contrast from the rest of the watch.

I can't say much about the watch, but I'll dispel a few myths about diving:

Generally tanks contain plain old air, or a mixture of gases; pure oxygen below 15 feet will kill you.

The time a diver has remaining at depth is controlled by a host of factors including: cubic footage of air in the tank at pressure, depth of the dive, the diver's natural rate of air consumption, the particular level of exertion during the dive, and amount of residual nitrogen in the diver's blood from previous dives.

There's no "standard" amount of time, and it is never measured as coursely as "45 minutes to an hour." A difference of just a couple minutes is the difference between a safe dive and a potentially crippling or life threatening one. At 100 feet, with a "standard" 80 cubic foot tank of air, a diver has far, far less time and air than 45 minutes to an hour.

No one who hopes to live would ever enter a cave or wreck relying on this watch, and the thirty five minute mark is completely irrelevant. The rough calculation is 1/3 of the tank in, 1/3 of the tank out, the rest for margin of error. And that part is measured in pressure remaining in the tank, not time which is a separate calculation.

As for the watch? I'll pass.

theking75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theking75

Ironic that Woot posts a poll this week saying wrist watches are becoming obsolete, then they try to sell us a wrist watch.

david223

quality posts: 2 Private Messages david223
Sinjz wrote:Will we ever be able to use Amazon gift cards on this site?

That is a darn good question that I'd also like to know the answer to.

david223

quality posts: 2 Private Messages david223
theking75 wrote:Ironic that Woot posts a poll this week saying wrist watches are becoming obsolete, then they try to sell us a wrist watch.

I wear a wristwatch every day. Maybe it's because I'm in my 60s

notalwaysso

quality posts: 1 Private Messages notalwaysso

When a mfg. lists a product at ten times its normal selling price, it is disingenuous. For me it calls into question the integrity of the mfg. and the product.