jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314

Anyone know how the sound is on this??

saypat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saypat
jet314 wrote:Anyone know how the sound is on this??

listen to the video review on page 1 of comments. She said the sound was pretty good, with volume! That's a plus.

Anyone else have to pay tax?

jet314

saypat wrote:listen to the video review on page 1 of comments. She said the sound was pretty good, with volume! That's a plus.

Anyone else have to pay tax?

Thanks...I should have remembered the video thingy...no sales tax for me. Better not be...lol

lmg95

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lmg95

1 hour to decide for me.

Still rocking my A500 from 2 years ago thanks to XDA... my fiance will probably not be happy if i buy another

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
KyserSoze wrote:I have an Acer A200 and I believe it has the same charger. I've had it for over a year with nearly daily use and have never broken the charger. I think it would be close to impossible to break it by just pushing it in or pulling it out, it would need to be sideways pressure to break it. I plug mine in and set it out of the way when charging. No problems.

No, a200 is completely different charger, on the side. This one is on the bottom and much smaller...

jclaggett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jclaggett

Decided to pull the trigger on this one myself. At the price, it really was hard to say no.

johntotheberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johntotheberry

First purchase from Woot. Do these threads die after the sale expires?

I can't find a picture for "what's in the box". I want to see what the charger looks like to know if I want to get a right angle adapter (to the especially long usb charger).

Also, I bought this case from B&H. It is marketed towards the A500 but I have read that the A500 and A700 are physically the same. I will respond to say how it fits. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/acer/Ntt/ACA50*/N/0
Does anyone know if any other good cases for this (in case this one is a flop)?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
johntotheberry wrote:First purchase from Woot. Do these threads die after the sale expires?

I can't find a picture for "what's in the box". I want to see what the charger looks like to know if I want to get a right angle adapter (to the especially long usb charger).

Also, I bought this case from B&H. It is marketed towards the A500 but I have read that the A500 and A700 are physically the same. I will respond to say how it fits. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/acer/Ntt/ACA50*/N/0
Does anyone know if any other good cases for this (in case this one is a flop)?

This case has pretty good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Blurex-folio-ICONIA-Multi-Angle-Function/dp/B00823NK4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374607604&sr=1-1&keywords=a700+case

Below is an unboxing at youtube. At around 1:05 they show the end of the charger that looks like a right angle micro USB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-VsvmPSYg

mihirsheth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihirsheth

Did anyone receive theirs yet ??

blortie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blortie
mihirsheth wrote:Did anyone receive theirs yet ??

Heya! Woot CS popping in for a visit!

I got your order pulled and show that there's a tracking number associated with it, so you should have received an email about tracking. Double-check your spam folder, but if you don't see anything, write us at support@woot.com -- I don't want to post it here for the rest of the miscreants to see.

Oh, and don't forget to provide the order number when you write in!

Catch ya later,
blortie

(Edited for removal of obscure popculture reference. I'm bad at internetting.)

yodboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yodboy
mihirsheth wrote:Did anyone receive theirs yet ??

I received mine. I ordered it up because I need a higher resolution display for my large format .pdf's with plenty of storage and fast responsiveness when scrolling through my PDF documents.

So far, I'm on the fence about this device for both valid, as well as feel/impression reasons, which I'll share in order of my experience. Please note I'm not complaining, these are my observations.

1) On first removing the a700 from its packaging I noticed smear marks on the screen, and what might be an indication the screen was resurfaced (buffed to remove light scratches from use, common in refurbishment) due to micro fine patterns reflected from the glass at certain angles. With the backlight on it's not noticeable.

I have no problem with refurbished equipment, but these were sold as new. Still, I'm not 100% sure it was refurbished, it could just be poor handling the factory or a result of the screen rubbing against its packing during packing/handling or shipping.

2) Screen Performance. My taps/finger presses are not always registered, even after fully updating and setting sensitivity on high. (More about updating below). Typing registers just fine, and is not a problem. I'm typing this now with the a700. So I'm not yet sure if the issue is the screen sensitivity in certain spots, or a software issue. It's not terrible, but over a long period of time might get frustrating.

3) Responsiveness. It could be better. There are momentary stutters, some latency in refreshing/loading pages/screens. Once it loads something like a video, it plays flawlessly, but loading web pages, switching applications, and other tasks can reflect a small but very perceivable delay each time. Having used other devices with smoother responsiveness, it's very noticeable, though I could get used to it if my final impression/decision leads to keeping this tablet. I realize a year+ old processor with a 1920x1200 resolution display might not run as smoothly driving all those pixels as a newer (pricier) device.

3b) Responsiveness, page scrolling. This bothers me the most. I'm used to flicking the screen and rapidly scrolling down long web pages or documents quickly. The a700 takes short hops down a page with each flick. Because the screen on the a700 requires me to press a little more firmly to register each flick, it can get tiresome scrolling down a long page one short hop at time. Screen scrolling just isn't as smooth as I'd like. I'm still looking to see if there's a way to improve this performance.

4) Updating. An update is offered when you connect the a700 to the Internet. The update goes smoothly, but it isn't the latest update for the a700. Going in to settings and manually checking for new updates will offer another update, and after performing that update, yet another update...etc. This is annoying and Goobersic, but it only has to be done at one time, then it's over. Still, it would be nice if there was some info informing us multiple updates would be required to get to the latest Android version available for the a700, which BTW, is not the latest version of Android.

5) After updating, performance got worse. Laggier, slower to load web pages. I found in the settings, the performance configuration had been changed from High, to Balanced. So, I changed it back to High. A little better. But...

5b) After updating, the office application that comes with the a700 crashes when opening my .pdf's. It did not do this before the system updates. Then, it notified me of an update for the office app itself, which I okay'd, but the update never completed, and I can't get it to try again. I'll also have to see how other .PDF readers perform on the a700.

6) Acer support. I went to Acer's website looking for support related info on the a700. There is practically none. They have tons of info for their new windows "w700", and the a510, a200...etc, but other than a user manual and specs, the support forum and knowledge base are devoid of a700 posts or articles. For a year+ old tablet, this does not instill confidence in Acer's support of this device.

So, I have here an affordable device with a high rez screen and expandable memory, which is what I need, but I am on the fence about keeping it due to my observations as stated above.

I realize I can try CM10.1, but that would invalidate the warranty as far as I know, and would certainly make the device unreturnable.

Also, I just noticed issue number 7) The rubbery trim between the screen glass and aluminum frame appears to be degraded in a spot near the right of the camera, and dust seems to get trapped there. Now I need to see if this is a normal part of the a700 design, or a defect in manufacturing of my unit.

With the exception of the last, all these issues may be resolvable.

What have your experiences been like?

jet314

Received mine on Saturday the 27th. The tablet was in a brown box with a couple of air pillows. Cellophane sealed, the tablet was pristine looking. Not a blemish to be found. I charged it up (about 4 hours) and turned it on. A TON of updates brought it to Android 4.1.1. My Xoom has 4.1.2 but it didn't go that far. Not really concerned about that at the moment. Key Lime Pie will be out later anyway. It automatically went to Acer's website for registration. Sych'd my Google account. Couldn't get my apps to transfer over, still not sure why. I downloaded one (slots game) and it kept the same level as my Xoom. I guess I'll have to download one at a time. So far, this is a nice tablet. Sound is decent, video is too. Not as sharp or crisp as the Kindle HD, but close enough to enjoy. I think I have enough tablets for now. ;)

yeoj4151

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yeoj4151

Anyone else have problems with misfiring pixels in the center of their screen? I have 4 in a perfect square, and a shadow image of what those 4 should be down and to the left 2 pixels-dead center of my screen....very annoying while watching video.

Anywho wondering if this is just me or if anyone else has noticed this. Most noticeable while watching video. The pixels aren't "dead", but misfiring-displaying colors inconsistent with the projected image.

yodboy

I just had a terrible customer service experience with Acer, trying to get a few simple answers.

The rep was polite (as was I), but the rep was also evasive, then lied to get my personal information, likely because my questions weren't appreciated.

I asked if the Iconia Tab a700 had been End of Life'd by Acer, because while looking for support information, there were zero, none, nadda...knowledge base articles on their website, and no answers from Acer techs to questions sitting in their forums for months about the a700. Additionally, the Acer store does not even have the a700 listed, so you cannot buy accessories for it from Acer. Their windows version, the "w700" however is fully supported on their sites and by their online tech reps' but not the a700.

Getting answers from their online chat support Rep was like having a very polite dentist pull teeth without being gentle about it.

I was also inquiring, politely, keep in mind, I was never rude...about how/where I could purchase a spare Acer power adapter for the a700. The rep informed me it would be free, covered under warranty, and needed my personal information for shipping purposes.

As soon as the rep had my personal information, I was then informed I would have to pay for the power adapter, and that my personal information was used to register my device, which I had not been informed of, and had not had given permission to do. I was not inclined to provide my credit card information at this point, so I asked where I could purchase the power adapter for the a700 from Acer. I finally got an answer, but the evasiveness was unbelievable for a simple consumer request.

I also(still politely) insisted my personal information be removed from their system, as I did not appreciate being told it would be used for shipping, and have it be used for another, unauthorized purpose. Mostly, I was just annoyed by the initial evasiveness of the rep in getting a straight answer.

I realize I may come across here as "one of those" customers, but I was nothing but polite to the CSR, asking very normal questions, and getting very unusual responses, so I pressed firmly but respectfully to get reasonable answers.

I realize one rep does not reflect an entire company, but my overall experience with this device, and then lack of support by the manufacturer on their website, and lack of availability of important replacement accessories such as the hard to find custum power adaptor has led me to believe I need to return this product.

I DON'T begrudge anyone who enjoys their a700, but I do not get the impression the manufacturer has any intent to support this device much longer.

Woot, I love you. We've had our ups and downs, and this is not my favorite thing to do, but please be kind, shessa comin home.

yodboy

yeoj4151 wrote:Anyone else have problems with misfiring pixels in the center of their screen? I have 4 in a perfect square, and a shadow image of what those 4 should be down and to the left 2 pixels-dead center of my screen....very annoying while watching video.

Anywho wondering if this is just me or if anyone else has noticed this. Most noticeable while watching video. The pixels aren't "dead", but misfiring-displaying colors inconsistent with the projected image.

You bought a new device that is reliant on its display. If the display is malfunctioning enough to distract you during normal use, either return it for a replacement, or get it warranty replaced. From experience, waiting too long to do so becomes a regretful waste of money.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and if someone tries to get you to "massage the pixels" it may work, for a time...but the issue, again from experience, is likely to return.

Also, to answer your question...no, I don't have any problematic pixels on the a700 I received.

coronal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coronal

I've had mine since it showed up a few days after order. This is my first android tablet, only other tablet being a 2nd gen Ipad. I do have a Samsung S3 phone, and have had 2 other android phones to compare to.

First off, not the biggest android fan in the world. My phones constantly taunt me with sometimes working and sometimes not. This tablet was my kneejerk reaction to my son dropping our ipad and cracking teh screen. I wanted something for ME alone. I don't use tablets much. I do have a hobby I like to shoot little videos on assembling or troubleshooting RC helicopters. That's mainly why I wanted it, and maybe playing a game here or there if bored. Maybe surf the web is really desperate. I'm a huge PC nerd and overclocker from back in the AMD Athlon days, so theses tablets have never wow'd me in performance.

All of that said, I love this little tablet.

I find myself using it way more than the PC now. We moved into a rural area that has awful internet. Only 3g hotspot available for the most part and it's slow at 200-500k usually.

With this tablet, I can tether off of my Samsung phone and I found a little spot on our hose that actually gets near 500-1000k speed, which is still bad compared to what we had, but at least makes the web somewhat usable. Surfing what I need to on the web with this tablet is actually fun again .

For the $ I like the tablet. A lot of updates first few days, but now not so much. Some smaller updates a day or two ago, but no biggie.

Tablet seems fast, well made, no problems(knocks on wood). For the $ I'm happy

vineaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vineaux

This tablet died yesterday - keep resetting itself over and over again. Anyone knows about the warranty?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vineaux wrote:This tablet died yesterday - keep resetting itself over and over again. Anyone knows about the warranty?

Hi there. Sorry about the problem.

At any time, you can locate your order in STUFF YOU BOUGHT and click on the name of the item. That will take you to the sale page. The warranty is stated at the bottom of the features.

This had a 1 year Acer warranty so you can contact them for assistance.

I am NOT customer service.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders