quality posts: 2739 Private Messages lichme

Item: Sony 13.3" or 14" Core i5 Ultrabook Touch
Price: $649.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

HideOut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HideOut

So wait, the 14" has a smaller battery than the 13.3? and weight is the same?

lichme

quality posts: 2739 Private Messages lichme

A couple of good reviews on the 13" at Amazon and additional details on the Product Page

hibliss

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hibliss
HideOut wrote:So wait, the 14" has a smaller battery than the 13.3? and weight is the same?

Larger screen might be heavier right?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

hibliss wrote:Larger screen might be heavier right?

HideOut wrote:So wait, the 14" has a smaller battery than the 13.3? and weight is the same?

Thanks for spotting the weight difference. From other websites it does appear that they might have different weights to each model.
I've pinged staff to find out.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Site has been updated with correct weights.

arikc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arikc

I own the 13" version of this without the SSD (instead has a 500GB drive and 32 GB SSD).

Overall, I love the machine -- the only complaint I have is I would have preferred a full 1920x1080 resolution -- but at this price -- it's hard to beat.

zanex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zanex

This seems like a fantastic deal. I have a Sony i7 and love it

QuantumRand

quality posts: 4 Private Messages QuantumRand

Woot, if you had the 15-inch one with Full HD display, you'd have gotten my money.

SerenityVFR

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SerenityVFR

How hard would it be to put Ubuntu or Chromium on this?

Does this ultrabook work like a regular laptop or does it have a locked bootloader like many phones have? I don't trust Sony not to have this thing locked up and be stuck with Windows Aint speak-n-spell crap for life.

cdhuttonsc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdhuttonsc

I bought the T 13 back in April (the i7 model with 8 GB and a 256 GB SSD) from the Microsoft Store for $1,000 (most places were selling it for $1,300 at the time).

In general it is a great system - very fast, portable, and seems to get good batter life (several hours of light use).

But! The screen is frankly lousy. The resolution is a step back from the 1600x900 on my three-year-old Dell Latitude (which cost about the same at the time). It is washed out in terms of color (I've tried changing settings to improve things, but nothing seems to help). The glossy coating (common with touch-screens) is really annoying in certain lights.

Talking to people over Skype they say the web-cam is not terribly clear, but it seems to work okay. I wish it were better.

Someone posted that they'd jump on a T 15 deal (the one with the Full HD screen), and I have to admit if I found a deal on that I'd buy one for my wife, who needs an updated laptop with a CD/DVD burner. (Hint, hint, Woot?)

EDIT: Oh - one thing I forgot to mention, and which was a factor in my decision to buy this system. When the battery inevitably stops holding the charge the battery is user-replaceable by unbolting a panel underneath. No problem!

markos19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markos19

What is the return policy on laptops? Thanks!

gerry13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gerry13

just wondering...

does it come with a pre-installed wootkit?

wmplpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmplpi

It has a DVD player that the 13.3 don't have. That would prob add weight wouldn't you think?

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090

Why is it that they can manage to put a 1920x1200 touchscreen on a 10.1" tablet and sell it for $250 (yesterday's woot), yet they are still using 1366x768 10 year-old resolution standards for a 13.3" and 14" tablet that costs $650. How much can it truly cost for a higher resolution touch panel on this- maybe $50? Who would not be willing to pay that difference at this price point? That's my rant- I'm done. As far as today's laptop goes- price seems a little high for what you get by about $100- at $550 it would be a decent deal.

bartdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bartdog
arikc wrote:I own the 13" version of this without the SSD (instead has a 500GB drive and 32 GB SSD).

Overall, I love the machine -- the only complaint I have is I would have preferred a full 1920x1080 resolution -- but at this price -- it's hard to beat.

I would be super tempted to buy it with that setup. That's what I was hoping for: 500gb hd combined with 24-32 gb ssd. dangit.

lalian

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lalian

I love it when companies install odd amounts of memory which disables the dual channel feature of DDR3. If you buy this, your first action should be to remove the 2 GB memory module and put in an appropriate 4 GB module. You should get significantly improved performance.

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple

These are both nice laptops. A bit of a premium for the Sony name + nicer than average design.

+ both have touch screens (good for Windows 8).

+ both have 128 GB SSD drives for faster boot and file access (OK as long as you don't archive your life on the laptop).

+ 13.3 & 14 both more compact than the typical volume 15 inch laptops.

+ 13.3 rated 5.5 hours vs 4.25 hours for the 14 (13.3 has bigger battery + smaller screen).

+ 13.3 nicely light weight - but you give up the DVD drive. External drives are cheap.

- As others have mentioned, the screen resolution is a bit lacking at 1366 x 768. But vs that resolution on a 15 inch laptop these pixels are compressed into 13.3/14 inches so it isn't as bad as on a 15. We've become spoiled by hi-Rez tablets! ;-)

- These latpops are light on USB ports (only 2).

- Chicklet/low profile keyboards take some getting used to for some folks.

- Webcam at 1.2 MP is not great, but that is the case on most laptops. If you don't Skype it won't matter.

All in all I prefer the 13.3 model - the compromises are more acceptable for this compact size and reasonable price.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
bartdog wrote:I would be super tempted to buy it with that setup. That's what I was hoping for: 500gb hd combined with 24-32 gb ssd. dangit.

Me too, I would be all over that. At least, so long as it also had over 4GB of RAM (or expandable to such) and bluetooth.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
lalian wrote:I love it when companies install odd amounts of memory which disables the dual channel feature of DDR3. If you buy this, your first action should be to remove the 2 GB memory module and put in an appropriate 4 GB module. You should get significantly improved performance.

Ideally, you would want a 4GB stick of RAM that runs identical memory timings to the on-board RAM.

If you buy a faster one, it's wasted money because the system would only run the memory as fast as the slowest channel and the memory timings in the BIOS are probably locked down anyway.

If you buy a slower stick, it probably won't work because the BIOS would try to run the add-in RAM too fast and cause instabilities.

Too bad memory timings are almost NEVER specified for pre-built computers, but if you have one you should be able to run "memtest86+" or a similar utility and find that information (remove any socketed memory first so you're testing ONLY the memory soldered to the motherboard to get its true timing).

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

Linuturk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Linuturk
SerenityVFR wrote:How hard would it be to put Ubuntu or Chromium on this?

Does this ultrabook work like a regular laptop or does it have a locked bootloader like many phones have? I don't trust Sony not to have this thing locked up and be stuck with Windows Aint speak-n-spell crap for life.

I'm interested in knowing this as well.

- Linuturk

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

markos19 wrote:What is the return policy on laptops? Thanks!

The FAQ answers this pretty well.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Linuturk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Linuturk

The user manual states you can boot from external devices, but it doesn't comment on whether or not there is a locked bootloader. My hunch says it should work, but I'd love verification from someone that has one.

- Linuturk

wootevil

quality posts: 21 Private Messages wootevil

A good deal with those specs. I wish it had an i7 CPU and a 15.6" screen.

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090

Link below is about installing Ubuntu:

http://www.yumapk.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-13-04-on-sony-vaio-t-series-svt13137cxs.html

This will help with regards to booting and the UEFI issues

http://askubuntu.com/questions/91484/how-to-boot-ubuntu-from-efi-uefi

Roshanasrani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Roshanasrani

I have the 13.3" i7, 256 SSD model and I love it for school. It's lightweight and FAST (I have never owned a computer that boots up in 5 seconds before...it has spoiled me). I bought mine for $1200 about 8 months back so this price is a steal for the slightly lower specs.

Regarding the touchscreen, it's a cool new feature that I rarely use to pinch to zoom on pdfs etc. but overall the software (Win 8, chrome, other apps) haven't really matched the hardware yet in terms of making touchscreen integration seamless.
Hope this helps some of you

squarooticus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squarooticus

terrencegf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terrencegf

Sony's website has drivers for Windows 7 64-bit for both the 13" model and the 14" model.

p1800nut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages p1800nut

I was very intrigued until I found all the complaints about problems with the wireless card. Seems to be VERY common. http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/New-Sony-Vaio-Pro-Wifi-Issue/td-p/143557/page/1

[MOD: Different model laptop. However, our rep says that installing the Sony Care updates, as prompted on the computers, fixes this.]

cdhuttonsc

p1800nut wrote:I was very intrigued until I found all the complaints about problems with the wireless card. Seems to be VERY common. http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/New-Sony-Vaio-Pro-Wifi-Issue/td-p/143557/page/1

Hmmm... I don't think I have experienced any such problems with my T 13, but maybe I'm lucky.

The thread cited above seems to mostly related to the new Pro model, so maybe that has a problem? I'd be pretty steamed to pay a premium for the newest model and not have it work!

registrationid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages registrationid

Has anyone been able to find any information about the upgrade-ability of the hard drive? While I don't want to keep my lifestory on there I'd likely want to upgrade to 256 or 512gb SSD. I'd read how difficult some laptops (like the Yoga) can be to upgrade.

Blowing out someone else's candle does not make yours burn brighter.

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple
p1800nut wrote:I was very intrigued until I found all the complaints about problems with the wireless card. Seems to be VERY common. http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/New-Sony-Vaio-Pro-Wifi-Issue/td-p/143557/page/1

@p1800nut,
Might be apples vs oranges. The Sony laptop issues at that link appear to be the Pro model SVPxxx model. These Woot laptops are the SVTxxx model.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Different model laptop. However, our rep says that installing the Sony Care updates, as prompted on the computers, fixes this.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

p1800nut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages p1800nut

Ah, good point--thanks for catching that. According to the thread, the problematic wireless cards are Intel 7260, and the older Intel 6235. I wonder how to find out which wireless card the SVT models use?

bluemaple wrote:@p1800nut,
Might be apples vs oranges. The Sony laptop issues at that link appear to be the Pro model SVPxxx model. These Woot laptops are the SVTxxx model.

cdhuttonsc

p1800nut wrote:Ah, good point--thanks for catching that. According to the thread, the problematic wireless cards are Intel 7260, and the older Intel 6235. I wonder how to find out which wireless card the SVT models use?

My T13 (SVT13138CXS) reports a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter.

demetria1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demetria1

what about the fact that this laptop has been discontinued from sony? why was that?

sonylistens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sonylistens

Good evening!

VAIO Pro models now have a WLAN update to version 16.0.1.14 for the Intel Wireless 7260 chipset.

The update:
• Improves Wireless LAN connectivity
• Improves file transfer when using the Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) encryption for 802.11a or 802.11g connections

You can obtain this update at the Sony Esupport website. Enter your VAIO Pro model number, Click on Drivers & Software tab and locate the wireless section.

Thank you,
Kevin Krause
Sony Support USA

Hoodis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hoodis

Is the keyboard backlit? Seems like everything I want except for the glossy screen.

tjwilcenski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjwilcenski

If this item had a backlit keyboard..I would have went for it....come on woot..please offer an i7 with backlit keyboard!

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

tjwilcenski wrote:If this item has a backlit keyboard..I would have went for it..does anyone know what type of warranty you get from woot and,or the manufacturer?

The Features tab states that this comes with a 1 year Sony warranty.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.