quality posts: 2856 Private Messages lichme

Item: Shun Edo 3-Piece Knife Set
Price: $229.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

abeandchris

quality posts: 7 Private Messages abeandchris

Three knives? $3 at the dollar store. Food gets sliced either way.

*runs for cover*

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3480 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Four near perfect reviews (4.8 put of 5.0) on the 7.5 inch knife over at amazon

[MOD EDIT: this link is only for the 7 ½” Santoku Knife]

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3480 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn how to use a Shun Edo knife

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
abeandchris wrote:Three knives? $3 at the dollar store. Food gets sliced either way.

*runs for cover*

I agree. and if I want to use them for something dumb they get thrown away. no worries.

I always did like yardsales.

khufu413

quality posts: 12 Private Messages khufu413
abeandchris wrote:Three knives? $3 at the dollar store. Food gets sliced either way.

*runs for cover*

You pay for knives? I load up the kids, run over to the local kids-eat-free diner, order four cubed steaks and tell the kids if they want desert they better start shoving knives in their pants. Then I complain about the cubed steak being too tough and leave.
But I'm in for three sets of these!

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's learn how to use a Shun Edo knife

If the only thing I ever knew about these knives was this video, I wouldn't be interested. 1) Perfectly cut tomatoes? Sure, if I'm dicing those for a salad. 2) None of my knives at home need a sawing motion to cut. It's my personal opinion that NO knife worth a couple bucks should need to be sawed through food. YMMV.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy
mm20 wrote:...2) None of my knives at home need a sawing motion to cut. It's my personal opinion that NO knife worth a couple bucks should need to be sawed through food. YMMV.

Isn't that how serrated knives are supposed to work?

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii

Sometimes I feel like the discussions on knives, especially fancy ones like these, devolve into the same kind of thing as when Apple devices come up for sale.

reduxion

quality posts: 2 Private Messages reduxion
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's learn how to use a Shun Edo knife

Was anyone else like "oh my god, he just threw away the best part!" when he cut off the heel and threw it away? #youbastard

chinqlinq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinqlinq
mm20 wrote:If the only thing I ever knew about these knives was this video, I wouldn't be interested. 1) Perfectly cut tomatoes? Sure, if I'm dicing those for a salad. 2) None of my knives at home need a sawing motion to cut. It's my personal opinion that NO knife worth a couple bucks should need to be sawed through food. YMMV.

How much money saved in eating perfectly sliced home made sandwiches would you need to justify the purchase of these knives?

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
mm20 wrote:If the only thing I ever knew about these knives was this video, I wouldn't be interested. 1) Perfectly cut tomatoes? Sure, if I'm dicing those for a salad. 2) None of my knives at home need a sawing motion to cut. It's my personal opinion that NO knife worth a couple bucks should need to be sawed through food. YMMV.

Ive had some "higher" end knives and they didnt cut no better than the cheap /dollar store knives. The only thing Fancy about them is the name . Sorry Woot

The thing that makes me mad bout these Videos is all the food that they waste. I mean with all the kids going to bed hungry . And they are wasting food on this BS you know . would be so bad if they donated it to the homeless shelters . Or to hungry kids . JMO is all

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

esgipson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages esgipson

Knives are just like pretty much everything else; to the uninitiated, all knives perform the same function, therefore there is no reason to spend this kind of money on one. If you don't really ever drink wine, why would you ever pay 50 dollars for a bottle when you can get 2 Buck Chuck? Don't by the Ferrari when the Kia performs the same basic task. I use knives professionally, and while I don't own these, there is a place and a function for ultra high end products. Try making 400 consecutive cuts with a 3 dollar knife. I've done it with a $130 Wusthof; can't say the same for a 3 dollar knife.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink

I respectfully disagree.

While it's true that you can sharpen a tin can to the same edge as a 200 dollar knife, it will not hold the edge for as long or allow you the same control.

It isn't for everyone. Not everyone even cares, but if you're in a line of work where you do this all day, it very quickly shines a light on the knives that are the real work horses and those that are the pretenders.

These knives are excellent.
They are also extremely decorative.
In my opinion they are better suited to a home environment than a work one (if you work in a kitchen).
The metal, while honed to a very impressive edge right from the box, are rather too hard for knife metal and you'll end up needing to send them in for re-sharpening more than you would on a knife who's metal has a better balance of hardness that allows longevity but still allows an easier honing to maintain it's edge.

These, again due to the hardness of the metal, chip very easily.
I know that all high end knives can chip, but I've dropped many a Wusthof and they just seem to take those beatings, and yet every single Shun I've seen in a professional kitchen has dings in the edge or the tip missing.

I would be honored to own a set of Shun in my home. I have a feeling the hand hammered edge may actually assist the knives in that very very flat surfaces and wet ingredients tend to stick to one another. Grooves or dimples like these help the knife to slice through and then something nearly as important as the cut - it lets go.
This is something that always frustrated me about my gigantic Wusthof extra wide chef's knife.
I love it, and I use it continuously at work, but certain food types just cling on for dear life.

A cheap supermarket knife can be honed to the same sharpness, but that's about where the comparison stops.

Denimbear wrote:Ive had some "higher" end knives and they didnt cut no better than the cheap /dollar store knives. The only thing Fancy about them is the name . Sorry Woot

The thing that makes me mad bout these Videos is all the food that they waste. I mean with all the kids going to bed hungry . And they are wasting food on this BS you know . would be so bad if they donated it to the homeless shelters . Or to hungry kids . JMO is all

kidsdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kidsdude

[quote postid="5509771" user="breaddrink"]I respectfully disagree.

While it's true that you can sharpen a tin can to the same edge as a 200 dollar knife, it will not hold the edge for as long or allow you the same control.

It isn't for everyone. Not everyone even cares, but if you're in a line of work where you do this all day, it very quickly shines a light on the knives that are the real work horses and those that are the pretenders.

I totally agree with you. Not everybody would appreciate these knives. I cook all the time and in the past I bought cheaper knives and ended up paid more than getting a nice one and last much much longer. But that isn't only the point. The sharpness of these knives are out of the world. If you've ever tried it, you would know what I'm talking about. It can slice meat as thin and perfect as you use a meat slicer at grocery store. Having said this, I agree that not everyone cares about it. But if you're in the market of looking for one of the best knives, this is a good deal.

iamwiz82

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iamwiz82

My Shun santoku knife is, by far, my favorite knife. I have been told it's very delicate, but I have had it for almost a year with no chipping and it is still as straight and sharp as the day I got it.

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123

Can you comment on the steel? Did I miss it in the description?

caweinheim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caweinheim

Agreed. Love my Shun Santoku bought off of woot as part of a combo set over 2 years ago. Sharp knives that, if properly cared for holds its edge.
1. No dishwasher - ever
2. No leaving in the sink for other dishes to sit on top of
3.Rinse and wipe clean after most uses (unless cutting raw meat)
4. store immediately in a knife block.
There. That's not too hard now, is it...

deelwidit

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

joeman123 wrote:Can you comment on the steel? Did I miss it in the description?

From the features:
The Sanktoku and Chef's knives are constructed of solid VG10 Super-Steel
The Boning Knife is AUS8A Steel 

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

marklog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marklog

I'm thinking of this to replace my trusty Miracle Blades... any idea where the best place to store these knives would be? Wood Block? Magnetic strip? Directly into the kitchen wall? Flung into the ceiling?

Are you looking at my junk?

mrfishwhiskers

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mrfishwhiskers

Did anyone notice the sneaky woot off taking place on sellout woot?

renrutnairbwoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages renrutnairbwoot
mrfishwhiskers wrote:Did anyone notice the sneaky woot off taking place on sellout woot?

I didn't see it until one of my shady coworkers pointed it out to me about 15 minutes ago. Will be watching it all day now.

acewingman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages acewingman
reduxion wrote:Was anyone else like "oh my god, he just threw away the best part!" when he cut off the heel and threw it away? #youbastard

YES! I said the same thing when he tossed it in the trash...

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

these three knives are the most needed types of knives! It's so great for woot to offer knives like this. So tempting to order them. Usually there is a bogus knive or a fork or something thrown in the set.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
Denimbear wrote:Ive had some "higher" end knives and they didnt cut no better than the cheap /dollar store knives. The only thing Fancy about them is the name . Sorry Woot

All of the places I've been either hospitals or the american legion,etc. say they're afraid to donate food because of our sue-happy society. it just isn't worth it to them to give food away for fear of reprisal if someone gets sick.

I always did like yardsales.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

I grew up working in a Restaurant and learned to cook at an early age. Great knife to a cook or chef is an indispensable tool, and for those people pay this much makes total sense. Having said that, I personally don't have the time to cook that much as a hobby, and it's not what I do as my profession, so Ginsu knives work just fine for me. I don't need to do any maintenance on them and they are pretty sharp. We all choose where to spend our money. You people that play golf out there and pay like $500 for a club- how is that any worst than buying these knives?

Basically what I am trying to say that I personally have no interest in paying this kind of money for a great set of knives, but I can clearly appreciate those who would- whether because of profession, hobby or cooking enthusiast.

hater777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hater777

Do they make knives like a samurai sword? A hard metal for the edge and a soft metal for the spine and body?

breaddrink wrote:I respectfully disagree.

These knives are excellent.
They are also extremely decorative.
In my opinion they are better suited to a home environment than a work one (if you work in a kitchen).
The metal, while honed to a very impressive edge right from the box, are rather too hard for knife metal and you'll end up needing to send them in for re-sharpening more than you would on a knife who's metal has a better balance of hardness that allows longevity but still allows an easier honing to maintain it's edge.

These, again due to the hardness of the metal, chip very easily.
I know that all high end knives can chip, but I've dropped many a Wusthof and they just seem to take those beatings, and yet every single Shun I've seen in a professional kitchen has dings in the edge or the tip missing.

I would be honored to own a set of Shun in my home. I have a feeling the hand hammered edge may actually assist the knives in that very very flat surfaces and wet ingredients tend to stick to one another. Grooves or dimples like these help the knife to slice through and then something nearly as important as the cut - it lets go.
This is something that always frustrated me about my gigantic Wusthof extra wide chef's knife.
I love it, and I use it continuously at work, but certain food types just cling on for dear life.

A cheap supermarket knife can be honed to the same sharpness, but that's about where the comparison stops.

tcreighton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcreighton1

These are Asian style knives(Shun, Global, Miyabi) which generally means they are sharpened to a finer angle(about 16 degrees). German style (Henckels, Wustoff) are sharpened to around 25-26 degrees.
As a rule, the Asian style are thinner blades made with harder steel. It has to be harder to hold the sharper edge.
German style are thicker and heavier. You couldn't take a German style knife and put a sharper edge on it. The steel won't hold up.
There are different electric knife sharpeners based on Asian vs German. The angle being the difference.
Also, when using a honing steel be sure you have a steel that is harder than the steel of the knife. For example, it is not effective to hone a Shun knife on a Henckel steel. The hardness of the steel is measured on the Rockwell scale. The harder the knife the sharper it can be ground and the longer it will hold the edge. Old school carbon knives were very hard and held their edge really well but rusted very easily.
I own both Asian and German style knives. I will use the Asian style if I am doing finer more delicate cuts. I'll use the German if I need more weight like breaking down chickens or cutting large roasts.

Hope that helps.

richweav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richweav

*runs for cover*

These knives are expensive for the same reason a Lexus is more expensive than a Hyundai or a Tommy Bahama shirt is more expensive than a tropical shirt at Walmart. Quality. I purchased the Shun Ken Onion Knives last fall and have been thrilled. They hold an edge like nobody's business, feel great in your hand, are razor sharp, and look great in the kitchen. I would fully recommend these for the somewhat serious "culinista".

tcreighton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcreighton1
hater777 wrote:Do they make knives like a samurai sword? A hard metal for the edge and a soft metal for the spine and body?

Yes, actually many Asian style knives are made exactly like Samurai swords.
Multiple layers of steel are folded on top of each other and then hammered or forged into shape.

aaron732

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aaron732

I've owned the larger set (a wedding gift from a major mall retailer) for three years now and I couldn't be happier with the performance of these knives. These three are actually not part of my larger set, so I'm in for this buy.

On expensive knives: upgrading from even a mid-range knife has been entirely worth it. Thinking back to my college days with a $10 discount store knife, I'm amazed that I did not cut my finger off. For all of the debate about spending money on knives, just know that if you enjoy cooking and will take care of your knives, these are excellent. It's a long term investment and well worth the cost.

On home cooks vs. commercial: while my Edo set has stayed fresh with honing, I agree with the earlier comment that these may not be ideal for a commercial kitchen. I have noticed some minor blunting on the blades when I've been a bit careless with them (nothing major, however). Something like a Global will hold up better under very heavy use if you still want a Japanese knife. Still, these are beautiful and perform just as well if not better than anything else I've tried.

The video and sawing: that video is for the serrated utility knife. While it is an excellent knife, it is not one of the ones in this set. These are straight blades and no sawing is necessary.

teddypimp21

quality posts: 7 Private Messages teddypimp21
chinqlinq wrote:How much money saved in eating perfectly sliced home made sandwiches would you need to justify the purchase of these knives?

I'm a huge fan of sandwiches; honestly I can eat them for every meal. I went through the process of calculating the price of making an excellent spicy chicken and bacon sandwich at home (chicken seasoned with adobo pepper, garlic, and lime marinade).

I can buy boneless chicken breast on average at $2.50 a pound (2 servings / 1 lb for me), a nice loaf of bread for the sandwich for $1 (1 sandwich), romaine lettuce ($.99 / 1 lb, 12 servings per lb), mayo for $2.99 (60 servings), tomato at $1.39/lb (9 servings per 1 lb), bacon at $5.99 (5 servings), seasoning for the chicken at $2 (seasons 8 lbs of chicken), and cheese at $5.49 lb (24 slices - 12 servings)

Based on this, the sandwich would cost me on average 4.44 each time.

Subsequently, the same type of sandwich (Mesquite-Chicken-Sub) can be purchased at Quiznos for 6.29 for regular or 7.79 for the large. After calculating tax and tip those sandwiches come to 7.61 & 9.43. (6% tax & 15% tip) {And before you mock Quiznos, it's just an easy standard that is also relatively delicious}

Now, the price of the knife for me with shipping and no tax is $234.99. Based on that; I would break even on the knife set, if i used it for nothing other than delicious sandwiches, after either 75 regular sized sandwiches or 48 large sized sandwiches.

Lets say you eat sandwiches only at work; and in a given work week, you bring your lunch 4 times a week (Tammy from accounting just loves to go out and get Thai food on Tuesdays). It would take you just under 18 weeks of sandwich making for regular sandwiches, or 12 weeks of sandwich making for large sandwiches to reach your delicious sandwich goal.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

Shuns are ludicrously sharp knives. They cut VERY easily and make VERY clean cuts. A benefit of a very clean cut is that it heals over nicely. I can barely even see the scar unless I'm really looking for it.

aaron732

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aaron732

I should add the primary reason that I went with the Edo over other Shun models or the Globals: balance. I've never held a more balanced knife than my Edo chef. Its weight and grip are perfect. It feels like an extension of my body. It makes me want to compose haiku. Buy these knives.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

These are pretty. When you have an 8" chef's for under $100 I'm getting one. I don't need one, but I want one.

Heck, I would buy that santoku for $100. I just don't want the other knives.

gak0090

teddypimp21 wrote:I'm a huge fan of sandwiches; honestly I can eat them for every meal. I went through the process of calculating the price of making an excellent spicy chicken and bacon sandwich at home (chicken seasoned with adobo pepper, garlic, and lime marinade).

I can buy boneless chicken breast on average at $2.50 a pound (2 servings / 1 lb for me), a nice loaf of bread for the sandwich for $1 (1 sandwich), romaine lettuce ($.99 / 1 lb, 12 servings per lb), mayo for $2.99 (60 servings), tomato at $1.39/lb (9 servings per 1 lb), bacon at $5.99 (5 servings), seasoning for the chicken at $2 (seasons 8 lbs of chicken), and cheese at $5.49 lb (24 slices - 12 servings)

Based on this, the sandwich would cost me on average 4.44 each time.

Subsequently, the same type of sandwich (Mesquite-Chicken-Sub) can be purchased at Quiznos for 6.29 for regular or 7.79 for the large. After calculating tax and tip those sandwiches come to 7.61 & 9.43. (6% tax & 15% tip) {And before you mock Quiznos, it's just an easy standard that is also relatively delicious}

Now, the price of the knife for me with shipping and no tax is $234.99. Based on that; I would break even on the knife set, if i used it for nothing other than delicious sandwiches, after either 75 regular sized sandwiches or 48 large sized sandwiches.

Lets say you eat sandwiches only at work; and in a given work week, you bring your lunch 4 times a week (Tammy from accounting just loves to go out and get Thai food on Tuesdays). It would take you just under 18 weeks of sandwich making for regular sandwiches, or 12 weeks of sandwich making for large sandwiches to reach your delicious sandwich goal.

You tip at Quiznos? Isn't it like a Subway where they make your sandwich and you take it home- or eat it there and clean up after yourself?

teddypimp21

quality posts: 7 Private Messages teddypimp21
gak0090 wrote:You tip at Quiznos? Isn't it like a Subway where they make your sandwich and you take it home- or eat it there and clean up after yourself?

I dont like to but ordering online had a suggested tip. I normally just throw my spare coins from the transaction in their tip jar. If you wanted to remove tips from the original equation; you're looking at breaking even after 106 regular sized sandwiches or 62 large sized sandwiches.

Afessler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Afessler

Anyone have or know of a reliable sharpening business where one could get these knives serviced for a reasonable fee?

gak0090

teddypimp21 wrote:I dont like to but ordering online had a suggested tip. I normally just throw my spare coins from the transaction in their tip jar. If you wanted to remove tips from the original equation; you're looking at breaking even after 106 regular sized sandwiches or 62 large sized sandwiches.

Well that's good, because I was worried I was being a complete cheap Ba$tard all these years. Now I will resume my status as only a partially cheap Ba$tard- I can live with that though.