Price: $14.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2845 Private Messages lichme

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

Here's an Informative video from Gerber.

Dang lichme is fast!

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

I keep blocking that Woot Stalker ad in three ad blockers and it keeps coming back. How? How do I never see it again?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

editorkid wrote:I keep blocking that Woot Stalker ad in three ad blockers and it keeps coming back. How? How do I never see it again?

I'm not sure how to prevent the ads, but I can inquire in the morning and see if I can't find out any information about it.

aferg1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aferg1

Hold it -- this is a Woot-off? I'm not seeing the flashing lights or anything that says Woof-off. Wootalyzer still shows the Sanyo, but the site shows a knife. Help!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn all about the warranty

boxmonkey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages boxmonkey

I like gerber knives, but if you are looking for a slim pocket knife, this one is much slimmer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MG7FDW/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to learn "Who we are"

mrsmcg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrsmcg

I have to open a lot of boxes at work. I am wondering if this would be a good knife to get. I have to open a box, unpack the contents, break down the box, and open even more boxes.I would like something small that I can either clip on or stick in my pocket.

thecorrectline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecorrectline

No. Skip this one.

Lots and lots of negative reviews out there on this knife - google it.

Of particular note - try to look up what steel the blade is made of. Gerber product page? Doesn't say. Amazon sales? Doesn't say. Anywhere and everywhere I tried? Doesn't say. This is the number 1, most HUGE red flag for any knife.

Give this one a miss.

thomasterrible

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thomasterrible
thecorrectline wrote:No. Skip this one.

Of particular note - try to look up what steel the blade is made of. Gerber product page? Doesn't say. Amazon sales? Doesn't say. Anywhere and everywhere I tried? Doesn't say. This is the number 1, most HUGE red flag for any knife.

Give this one a miss.

Good info, I would have just bought this due to price and having a Gerber assisted opening knife that has been well worth the money anyway, fast open, decent though not heavy duty blade. I will look at reviews before buying this one.

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

Yep. Nothing about the type of steel used for the blade usually means something cheap that is hard to sharpen, doesn't hold an edge and might even rust/pit after a while.

I'll stick with Cold Steel knives.

thomasterrible

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thomasterrible
mrsmcg wrote:I have to open a lot of boxes at work. I am wondering if this would be a good knife to get. I have to open a box, unpack the contents, break down the box, and open even more boxes.I would like something small that I can either clip on or stick in my pocket.

You should look at the reviews. It depends upon how much you are willing to spend. You can find much better, more heavy duty, longer lasting knives than this for sure. If we are talking about a "for the money" sort of thing my concern aside from negative reviews would be sharpening the serrated part of the knife, this can be more difficult than a smooth blade knife and if the quality of the steel the knife is made of is less than high end you will be sharpening it much more often than a higher quality steel. If you are going to use it a lot at work I would look in to a higher quality knife. I have a different low price Gerber assisted opening smooth bladed knife I got on sale, did not expect too much but the assisted opening works great, it is fast. It is a decent blade for the price. I have learned not to expect too much from low priced knives and prefer to spend more on fewer high end ones. That said at 15 bucks plus 5 bucks shipping you are risking very little, but you could put that money towards a better knife though. Otherwise the size is pretty good for what you are talking about IMO.
Amazon has a lot of sales on knives. The favorite knives I have purchased from Woot so far has been some CRKT Triumphs. Have got some decent Kershaws from Amazon sales. Like best some more expensive Spyderco and other knives of higher quality though.

xcarlh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xcarlh
editorkid wrote:I keep blocking that Woot Stalker ad in three ad blockers and it keeps coming back. How? How do I never see it again?

I contacted WOOT about it. I isn't in there best interest to stop. you can block it on your computer but it blocks all the others and then all the other sites won't open and what a mess. right now the other sites store there information on your computer.

xcarlh

phpeters87 wrote:Yep. Nothing about the type of steel used for the blade usually means something cheap that is hard to sharpen, doesn't hold an edge and might even rust/pit after a while.

I'll stick with Cold Steel knives.

xcarlh

xcarlh wrote:

I have this knife it does not stay sharp.

zenobia13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zenobia13

Remember when Gerber just made pablum and pacifiers?

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

The description lists the blade as being "Stainless" so it's most likely 4034 or 440A or somewhere in between, or perhaps 8Cr13MoV which are the lower end Stainless Steel types used on low-end knives.

These type of knives generally become "butter knives" with regular use and constantly need sharpening.

For good knife steel, you want 440B, or the Japanese equivalent, AUS-8A

Upper end (and expensive) would be 440C, AUS-10A or VG10 but these are just a few examples of knife steel, but the most commonly used.

Also, the "Rockwell Hardness Scale" should be between 57-60. If the steel is too soft, it won't hold an edge. If the steel is too hard, it will be hard to sharpen and prone to chipping and might even shatter into shards if misused.

A good knife blade will have quality Stainless Steel with a blend of other metals such as Vanadium, Carbon, Chromium, Nickel, etc...and will be sub-zero quenched or cryogenically quenched for added strength and durability.

hankarnold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hankarnold

Why not just exclude NY entirely?? Or list the zip codes you *CAN* ship it to!!

David3482

quality posts: 0 Private Messages David3482
mrsmcg wrote:I have to open a lot of boxes at work. I am wondering if this would be a good knife to get. I have to open a box, unpack the contents, break down the box, and open even more boxes.I would like something small that I can either clip on or stick in my pocket.

For your described primary use, I would suggest going with a folding box cutter type knife. If you hunt around a bit, you can find them with a liner lock and a thumb stud, so they are easy / quick to open / close. And, because they use standard utility knife blades, maintaining a sharp blade is as quick and easy as popping in a new one. That's important since cutting cardboard is tough on an edge.

heidiwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heidiwoot
phpeters87 wrote:The description lists the blade as being "Stainless" so it's most likely 4034 or 440A or somewhere in between, or perhaps 8Cr13MoV which are the lower end Stainless Steel types used on low-end knives.

These type of knives generally become "butter knives" with regular use and constantly need sharpening.

For good knife steel, you want 440B, or the Japanese equivalent, AUS-8A

Upper end (and expensive) would be 440C, AUS-10A or VG10 but these are just a few examples of knife steel, but the most commonly used.

Also, the "Rockwell Hardness Scale" should be between 57-60. If the steel is too soft, it won't hold an edge. If the steel is too hard, it will be hard to sharpen and prone to chipping and might even shatter into shards if misused.

A good knife blade will have quality Stainless Steel with a blend of other metals such as Vanadium, Carbon, Chromium, Nickel, etc...and will be sub-zero quenched or cryogenically quenched for added strength and durability.

This is great info, thanks so much! Saved it for later reference...

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

You could probably put an eye out with this

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
thecorrectline wrote:No. Skip this one.

Give this one a miss.

Wow! Is this the "unkindest cut of all??" [rim shot]

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

spcyhknBC

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spcyhknBC
hankarnold wrote:Why not just exclude NY entirely?? Or list the zip codes you *CAN* ship it to!!

If I am not mistaken, the list of ZIP codes covers New York City, its associated boroughs and Nassau County. Suffolk County might be in there are well, but I am not as familiar with those codes. As a former New York resident, the City and Long Island were always very picky about their knives. Essentially, there is a blade length limit for foldable blades, and there is also a restriction against knives that have assisted opening mechanisms. This is probably why it is illegal to ship here. Hope this helps.

As to why they list the restricted zip codes, probably because its easier to look up zip codes that restrict something than it is to do the opposite. Also, Cntrl + F is your friend.

cebooher3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cebooher3
boxmonkey wrote:I like gerber knives, but if you are looking for a slim pocket knife, this one is much slimmer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MG7FDW/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I own that knife and I really like it. It's cheaper than the model that is on Woot today,it is very slim and is razor sharp right out of the box.

It doesn't have assisted opening but who really needs that on a small pocket knife?

HenryBob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HenryBob
spcyhknBC wrote:If I am not mistaken, the list of ZIP codes covers New York City, its associated boroughs and Nassau County. Suffolk County might be in there are well, but I am not as familiar with those codes. As a former New York resident, the City and Long Island were always very picky about their knives. Essentially, there is a blade length limit for foldable blades, and there is also a restriction against knives that have assisted opening mechanisms. This is probably why it is illegal to ship here. Hope this helps.

As to why they list the restricted zip codes, probably because its easier to look up zip codes that restrict something than it is to do the opposite. Also, Cntrl + F is your friend.

that's just it every area I know of in NY is listed from Brooklyn to buffalo including virtually all of Monroe county (Rochester) and anyplace anyone I know lives.
If you open the list you should realize it's too long for just downstate...
I highly doubt Irondequoit passed a law on this suggesting its either county based or even state wide despite the fact I can still go buy a similar knife in a store...

If I really cared I'd just get a PO box in Jersey but certainly this time around I really don't

update: it is because of the Manhattan DA re-interpreting state law and going after everyone ever trying to sell knives and trying to get other counties on board meaning its better for companies to just not do NYS business than risk the million dollar lawsuits...

My normal alias is University of Pi/UniversityOfPi
(though I created this account before I fully began using that)

The Link of Power

[Sig 8/21/13]

n0816

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n0816

If you just need to cut open the taped part of the box, you might be better off just getting a small box cutter, like this (pack of 12). They fit easily in pockets and are sufficient for opening boxes. I think I've seen them at hardware stores for a dollar or two.

dzack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dzack
spcyhknBC wrote:If I am not mistaken, the list of ZIP codes covers New York City, its associated boroughs and Nassau County. Suffolk County might be in there are well, but I am not as familiar with those codes. As a former New York resident, the City and Long Island were always very
picky about their knives. Essentially, there is a blade length limit for foldable blades, and there is also a restriction against knives that have assisted opening mechanisms. This is probably why it is illegal to ship here. Hope this helps.

NY sucks!! Really??I live 5+ hours away from NYC! Why the hell can't I order this damn knife?!?!?! I can buy a Machette, a chain saw and double headed axe, a cross bow but I can't buy a pocket knife? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

W00tyMcW00tster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages W00tyMcW00tster

Try any of the Kershaw knives designed by Ken Onion - Chive, Scallion, Leek, Shallot. GREAT knives, shaving sharp out of the box, reasonably priced!

boscoman1028

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boscoman1028
W00tyMcW00tster wrote:Try any of the Kershaw knives designed by Ken Onion - Chive, Scallion, Leek, Shallot. GREAT knives, shaving sharp out of the box, reasonably priced!

I also like Benchmade knives

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington
W00tyMcW00tster wrote:Try any of the Kershaw knives designed by Ken Onion - Chive, Scallion, Leek, Shallot. GREAT knives, shaving sharp out of the box, reasonably priced!

I agree. Kershaw has nice US made affordable knives. Benchmade for higher priced but even better knives.
This Gerber knife has no info about it.

shadowkeeper45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadowkeeper45

Gerber is made in China, save your money, for the same price go to walmart or other store and by a Buck 870 "Bones" Buck is made in the USA

WootieTwoShoes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WootieTwoShoes
hankarnold wrote:Why not just exclude NY entirely?? Or list the zip codes you *CAN* ship it to!!

I used to have the list. They'll send it to you if you ask Woot.

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669

Daily Steals constantly has better knives for sale. I've picked up 3 from them in the last few weeks and everyone has been exactly what I wanted.

My favorite one has a bottle opener, glass break, belt cutter, assisted opening and a nice sharp blade. I paid $8 shipped for it... a lot better of a deal.

bowlingb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bowlingb

I would go with this guy.
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41830-Pocket-Knife-Exchange/dp/B0016KHW2W
It uses standard utility blades and takes up very little space.

MorganSS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MorganSS

Mine broke in a week. the lock is dangerously cheap.

prfesser

quality posts: 7 Private Messages prfesser

Does the knife have a jar opener for their baby foods? Is the knife safe for children from 6 months - 2 years old?

Skotyman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skotyman
boxmonkey wrote:I like gerber knives, but if you are looking for a slim pocket knife, this one is much slimmer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MG7FDW/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a little more money but it is the cleanest don't-even-know-it's-in-your-pocket every day carry I own. I keep trying others but nothing is as well designed as this puppy.
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Folding-Knife-Speed/dp/B004DS1XF6/ref=pd_sim_hi_1