timmyboy1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timmyboy1
thecorrectline wrote:No. Skip this one.

Lots and lots of negative reviews out there on this knife - google it.

Of particular note - try to look up what steel the blade is made of. Gerber product page? Doesn't say. Amazon sales? Doesn't say. Anywhere and everywhere I tried? Doesn't say. This is the number 1, most HUGE red flag for any knife.

Give this one a miss.

Honestly, I did Google it and I can't find "lots and lots" of negative reviews on this knife at all. I saw 2 non-detailed 1-star reviews for the fine edge version, but saw quite a few good reviews on the serrated edge versions like this one.
For $15 I see this as a good deal on a knife I can open quickly and close with one hand, and at that price level I'm not particularly concerned with the type of steel it is.

iceph03nix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceph03nix

I like Gerber and use one of their nicer knives for hunting, but their cheap stuff is pretty much all crap. It's too bad really.

immintyfresh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages immintyfresh

I would buy if it wasn't RESTRICTED BECAUSE OF NY LAW GRRRRRRRRRR.

seamore2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages seamore2001

Wow, Woot's selection today, across the sites, is crappy. Cheap knife, ho hum shirts, towels, sports drink.... What is this, crap-are-us?

bloodgain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bloodgain
mrsmcg wrote:I have to open a lot of boxes at work. I am wondering if this would be a good knife to get. I have to open a box, unpack the contents, break down the box, and open even more boxes.I would like something small that I can either clip on or stick in my pocket.

Ditto what some others have said. If you cut tape all day, you could get away with a good knife, clean the sticky residue off it daily, and sharpen it weekly. Unless you sharpen it daily, I wouldn't use a knife to cut cardboard all day -- you're bound to get cut from having to strong-arm a dulled blade.

You're better off with something that takes replaceable utility/razor blades. You can put a fresh blade in it or flip the blade to the unused side daily. You can buy blades cheap in 50 or 100-packs. No worrying about the tape residue, either. As a bonus, razor/utility blades cut through corrugated paper much better than most knives.

Look for "handy cutter" box cutters (cheap, thin, tap open/closed) or any kind of utility knife that takes regular utility blades. A bunch of brands have folding models that you use like a pocket knife, if that's your thing.

rdzek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rdzek

These are not the Gerber knives you are looking for. Cheap steel, heavy, clunky, unimpressed. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

For the guy who opens boxes all day. look for the Gerber EAB. Best $20 you will ever spend for an EDC pocket knife for your purposes.

gorn5150

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gorn5150
stv6669 wrote:Daily Steals constantly has better knives for sale. I've picked up 3 from them in the last few weeks and everyone has been exactly what I wanted.

My favorite one has a bottle opener, glass break, belt cutter, assisted opening and a nice sharp blade. I paid $8 shipped for it... a lot better of a deal.

I bought some knives from daily steals. They were counterfeit. When I emailed them to get a refund they refused saying they never said they were the real thing. That was the last time I ordered anything from them.

mykl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mykl

Is there a secret to keep these knives locked open or is mine broken?

cwlodarczyk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwlodarczyk

Is anybody reading these comments at this point? Probably not. Just thought I'd throw it out there that I ordered one of these. I'm happy with the quality of the blade, but the lock/spring mechanism in mine completely failed after about a week. I'll be sending it to Gerber and finding out how their warranty works.

manhandsha

quality posts: 39 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

cwlodarczyk wrote:Is anybody reading these comments at this point? Probably not. Just thought I'd throw it out there that I ordered one of these. I'm happy with the quality of the blade, but the lock/spring mechanism in mine completely failed after about a week. I'll be sending it to Gerber and finding out how their warranty works.

I'm still reading your comments. ;)

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

cwlodarczyk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwlodarczyk
cwlodarczyk wrote:Is anybody reading these comments at this point? Probably not. Just thought I'd throw it out there that I ordered one of these. I'm happy with the quality of the blade, but the lock/spring mechanism in mine completely failed after about a week. I'll be sending it to Gerber and finding out how their warranty works.

I had the same issue with mine. It's going back too.