patnugent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
modi123 wrote:Can't there just be a DVR that functions like a VCR sans the tape? I don't need complex channels, apps, internet connectivity, etc.. just a darn harddrive and something to record a show at a given time. *sigh* Technology's great. Pfffsst.

:/

I'm not sure about something quite that simple that supports HDD, but there are definitely a few boxes that will let you record like this directly to DVDs.

On an unrelated note, I still have not managed to score a Bandolier of Carrots.

jdevas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdevas

Interested to know if this works with streaming to any of the blu-ray players. Sounds like they could have setup some normal sharing?

reepicheep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reepicheep

So clarificaiton on something.... does the device include a ATSC/NTSC tuner in the device? I think that was an earlier persons question about whether they would need to buy a converter box for OTA stations.

Another question. If I got one of these for my parents that have no network or internet, can they just use the device connected to their TV for pause/record?
Edited: Seems the device only does passthrough and no video out so unless they have a lan and some sort of device that could decode/output then no-go for them. Too bad. A $100 DVR
for standalone would be great.
"•TV coax cable output (signal passthrough)
•Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Ethernet (passthrough)
•No video output. Video is distributed via Network"

patnugent

reepicheep wrote:So clarificaiton on something.... does the device include a ATSC/NTSC tuner in the device? I think that was an earlier persons question about whether they would need to buy a converter box for OTA stations.

Another question. If I got one of these for my parents that have no network or internet, can they just use the device connected to their TV for pause/record?
Edited: Seems the device only does passthrough and no video out so unless they have a lan and some sort of device that could decode/output then no-go for them. Too bad. A $100 DVR
for standalone would be great.
"•TV coax cable output (signal passthrough)
•Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Ethernet (passthrough)
•No video output. Video is distributed via Network"

Yes on the tuner question.

No go with no home network, it would defeat the whole connected DVR concept. ;) Plus if I couldn't watch my live TV on iPad when I'm in the office I'd get a bit cranky.

fxfuji

quality posts: 19 Private Messages fxfuji
wrecks13 wrote:Beware! files are recorded on the external hard drive in a proprietary format (JFS) and can't be played by themselves on a PC.

If by JFS you mean the Journaled File System developed by IBM, it's not a proprietary format for the files, but of the filesystem itself. And that can be read by a PC, if it happens to be running Linux (or running a VM running Linux).

As pat from simple TV correctly notes, many cable TV providers are moving the bulk of their channels to digital -- the only reason they seem to offer analog is so they can claim to provide 'basic' cable service for less than they actually charge most customers (because nearly all have to 'upgrade' to digital to get the one or two channels they really want) -- so this may not be the device for you if you're a cable subscriber.

otoh, if you're only subscribe to 'basic' cable anyway, you're probably only getting the channels that you could get for free with an antenna to capture the OTA (over-the-air) broadcast signals. And I think this device would be good for that.

The nice thing about this if you choose to 'cut the cord' is the program guide, which tends to be somewhat of a hit or miss proposition for OTA.

reepicheep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reepicheep
patnugent wrote:Yes on the tuner question.

No go with no home network, it would defeat the whole connected DVR concept. ;) Plus if I couldn't watch my live TV on iPad when I'm in the office I'd get a bit cranky.

Thanks Pat for participating in the thread and quickly answering.
And I'd like to just get my parents to get to a DVR first...then I can work on LAN/Internet/iPad/etc. :-)

Moueska

quality posts: 53 Private Messages Moueska

/lurkity

gantt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt

Thanks to patnugent for all the info. Mods have to give you some quality posts!

Looks interesting but I think I will pass as nearly all my tv viewing is non-network and I have Comcast, which seems to have little or nothing on clearQAM - it's been a while since I checked but usually that situation only gets worse with time.

muhnute

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muhnute

Will this work with my Mac? Not even a refurb! I can haz?!

patnugent

reepicheep wrote:Thanks Pat for participating in the thread and quickly answering.
And I'd like to just get my parents to get to a DVR first...then I can work on LAN/Internet/iPad/etc. :-)

I started my Mom with the iPad before the DVR. She wanted all of her photos and home movies saved so i loaded them on and gave it to her as a gift. It was a good incentive, now dad can't figure out why she won't stop playing DrawSomething.

dawnview

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dawnview

Pat, I wish your tech support was helpful and responsive like you are on these sales threads. I had a defective unit I finally had to get woot to refund me because your support people wouldn't even respond beyond "don't use firefox" and "did you reset the unit and power cycle it?"

How about some service AFTER the sale from simple.tv!

newly wooted

timdthomas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timdthomas
bennyboy783 wrote:It's telling me 12 channels.. maybe it's just not ideal for me ) :

Back when I was a kid, we had 3 channels and were happy with it!

I dropped cable long ago because 200 channels of crap is 200 channels I wasn't watching.

If I didn't already have a TiVo with lifetime service, I might consider getting this. For $100 plus the cost of a USB drive, this seems like a pretty good deal, though I don't know if it's as easy to schedule and watch shows as my TiVo.

teedo757

quality posts: 5 Private Messages teedo757

Ok long time wooter but confused about the Bandolier of Carrots url game. Do they post the link in the description? If so why was everyone saying they mistyped it? If it's just not linked why didn't people just copy and paste the link.

patnugent

dawnview wrote:Pat, I wish your tech support was helpful and responsive like you are on these sales threads. I had a defective unit I finally had to get woot to refund me because your support people wouldn't even respond beyond "don't use firefox" and "did you reset the unit and power cycle it?"

How about some service AFTER the sale from simple.tv!

Hrmmm.... wanna shoot me an email with your ticket number if you still have it so at least you can get the satisfaction of knowing I smacked someone upside the head? patrick at simple dot tv

Nov 1 we'll have a new support team go live and things should get a bit better then, but anyone having any problems from woot is welcome to contact me directly and I can help get you sorted out.

ojohn

quality posts: 42 Private Messages ojohn
modi123 wrote:Can't there just be a DVR that functions like a VCR sans the tape? I don't need complex channels, apps, internet connectivity, etc.. just a darn harddrive and something to record a show at a given time. *sigh* Technology's great. Pfffsst.

There is. This Magnavox is it. Records HD channels in DVD resolution, you can play or delete those recordings, and you can burn DVDs from what you recorded.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR537H-Recorder-Digital-Tuner/dp/B009I5KWLK

There's not one without the DVD burner so don't complain. If you even ignore the DVD player/burner, this is the closest thing to a VHS recorder you'll ever see. You can timer program it - manually.

EddieAngel333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EddieAngel333

Pat will I get HD Quality TV ?
and will it be 1080p or 720p or what ?

and why only 90 days warranty ?

jdevas

Does this support DLNA?

patnugent

EddieAngel333 wrote:Pat will I get HD Quality TV ?
and will it be 1080p or 720p or what ?

If the channels you're receiving are HD, they'll be recorded in HD. If you're watching from in the house, you'll usually get the HD version. If you're watching your shows from outside the house you may get stepped down to a non-HD version due to bandwidth limitations of where you are or what device your own (like your iPhone).

Right now we record in 3 separate qualities at the same time, with the high end being a 1080i stream.

patnugent

jdevas wrote:Does this support DLNA?

Not yet - but I'm curious what your use case would be for DLNA. We just joined the DLNA as a member company in the past month or so. We have some plans around DLNA but any real uses you may have are always helpful.

tonygriffinus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonygriffinus

how the heck did it go from 21% sold to 100% in 2 minutes

ojohn

quality posts: 42 Private Messages ojohn
patnugent wrote:
Right now we record in 3 separate qualities at the same time, with the high end being a 1080i stream.

Why do you record in 3 qualities? Why don't you downsample as needed during playback?

jdevas

patnugent wrote:Not yet - but I'm curious what your use case would be for DLNA. We just joined the DLNA as a member company in the past month or so. We have some plans around DLNA but any real uses you may have are always helpful.

My blu-ray players support it, so I could stream through that directly to my big screens in the various rooms. If I wanted to watch a show on a tablet or something, I would just stream it from the TV network. PS. Android support is also important to me.

EddieAngel333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EddieAngel333

why only a 90 day warranty ?

patnugent

ojohn wrote:Why do you record in 3 qualities? Why don't you downsample as needed during playback?

Downsampling on the fly would take more horsepower than we have if you had a live show recording and 5 people watching different recorded streams, so we just transcode at the time of record so it's all packaged up nicely for HLS.

patnugent

EddieAngel333 wrote:why only a 90 day warranty ?

That was in place before I joined the team here and something being discussed now.

wollern

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wollern

It's too late for this woot off, but, for future consideration of this product, here's my situation:

I have an old hdtv that uses a converter box. I only get ota programming via an indoor antenna. This is on the "2nd floor". The tv reception is adequate.

My computer/dsl internet connection/wireless router is all set up "downstairs". The tv reception isn't too good down there (using a different indoor antenna than the previously mentioned one).

If I understand the product description correctly, I need to have this thing hooked up to my router et al "downstairs" because it doesn't emanate all of it's delicious programming on its own, yes? (<-- this is the question I need answered.)

Anyone want to help me install an antenna in the attic & then wire it downstairs? (<-- this is just my lame attempt at being funny.)

patnugent

jdevas wrote:My blu-ray players support it, so I could stream through that directly to my big screens in the various rooms. If I wanted to watch a show on a tablet or something, I would just stream it from the TV network. PS. Android support is also important to me.

The android app is going to rock. I'm not sure if we've posted screens or not of the new look yet but it's very image driven.

jreddington

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jreddington

I certainly agree. I am using a Panasonic DVD player/recorder that records onto a special RAM DVD. At lowest quality, each disk holds 8 hours. Get near full and pop in another disk. Can also delete just like on a computer hard drive. It outputs via HDMI to my TV.

I don't want a "subscription" like on Tivo. If this lived up to its name of Simple, I would hope I could just program it by channel and time (with a selection for weekly repeats).

They throw in a lifetime subscription. Don't mind the extra functionality.

However, the killer is no HDMI output. Come on. Even my tablet has HDMI output. I certainly don't mind needing a hard drive. My present system already has a network drive inthe entertainment cabinet. An external drive allows me to get whatever storage capacity I want, including, as drives go past the 4GB level. But The last thing I need is yet another box (Roku) in addition to this "simply" to get the HD signal to my TV.

So much for "Simple" TV.

I suspect it's on Woot for that very reason. Clearing it out for the next version which I bet will come with an HDMI output

BeachWoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BeachWoot

An HD Homerun by Silicone Dust, (or the Mac version by Elgato has an EyeTV app) does all this, but smoother, and features TWO television tuners. Oh, and costs even less. You use any PC on your network, (anywhere in the world), as your DVR and record in any format that you want.

DVR recordings on the PC/Mac can be streamed to any DLNA device, (Sony TVs, Sony Set-top Streaming devices, Xbox, Playstation, WD Media Center, etc). Or, you can easily stream the HD recorded video files with an AppleTV.

However, streaming recorded video files directly from your PC/Mac isn't currently supported by Roku.

Thailand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thailand
miken927 wrote:I don't understand why it doesn't have an HDMI out. I have a Sharp Aquos 'smart tv' but I don't see how I could feed video from this over wi-fi. My tv has Vudu, Netflix, etc, but no way to add apps that I know of. It supports DLNA, maybe that's how it would work?

Thailand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thailand
Thailand wrote:

When will people realize that HDMI inputs are a fraud. They were developed only to prevent high quality copying/duplicating.

Component or DVI inputs copy just as well...only buy units that have these inputs...

Did you ever notice that there are HDMI cables...1, 2, 3, and 3a? Do you know any other cables that have series numbers? All the new numbers mean is that someone devised a way around the old cables blocking scheme.

sakester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakester

Is it possible to watch a live tv show while recording another with this device?

jbserra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jbserra

As I'm prepping for my Simple.TV to show up (hopefully this week), will it take over an entire external hard drive or will it leave existing files alone? I have a drive I would like to test with before I buy an additional drive, but I don't want to overwrite what is already on the drive.

Kiwi Connection

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kiwi Connection

Does the Simple.TV have a USB 3.0 port on it? Or is it USB 2.0?

-Curious about the throughput to external hard drives.

wjacobward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wjacobward
jbserra wrote:As I'm prepping for my Simple.TV to show up (hopefully this week), will it take over an entire external hard drive or will it leave existing files alone? I have a drive I would like to test with before I buy an additional drive, but I don't want to overwrite what is already on the drive.

Simple.TV requires its hard drive to be formatted using JFS (Journaling File System). Your hard drive is probably FAT32 or NTFS, so you'd have to copy your files off before trying the drive on your Simple.TV.

jbserra

Kiwi Connection wrote:Does the Simple.TV have a USB 3.0 port on it? Or is it USB 2.0?

-Curious about the throughput to external hard drives.

They state either 2.0 or 3.0, but 2.0 may not hit the max number of streams.

*Simple.TV playback performance is limited by your network bandwidth and USB hard drive performance.

jbserra

Has anyone received theirs yet?!?

Woot! Where's my order?

firesole33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firesole33
jbserra wrote:Has anyone received theirs yet?!?

Woot! Where's my order?

Nope not only that I don't even have tracking, and Woot is just responding to me, "We are trying to get the info from the Vendor"

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 539 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

For those of you that are still waiting tracking info, it looks like we're just waiting for the tracking file to get up loaded.

We've been told that all product shipped on 10/4.

I checked a couple of your orders and it looks like Track By Reference is working. It's the weekend so there's not much data there yet.

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

◄••• Click • • • Or Click here •••► How to Play

WhtHawk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WhtHawk
jbserra wrote:Has anyone received theirs yet?!?

Yes, though I'm currently having difficulties getting it to work. I've reached out to tech support a couple of ways now but have yet to hear back. It seems their trouble ticket system, and their web-based e-mail form don't copy you on your submission; I'm honestly not sure they have even received my digital pleas for help. While they're not out of "normal" business reply windows, they are certainly too slow for someone who wants to use their product.