formerairman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages formerairman

We have used one of thse models for the past 3 years now fry our bird. It works great! So much less time and mess then working with the traditional propane/kettel setup. I would highly suggest doing as we do and setting up a portable table in your garage or and frying the bird out there. Unless, of course, you like your house to smell like a Long John Silvers threw up in it.

gundoc71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gundoc71

bought one of these last year and it broke right out of the box. Now I need to rig the wire and wiggle it around every few minutes to keep it going. totally worthless.

larryhod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larryhod

How big of a turkey will it do?

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

Purchasing this unit would definitely be considered premeditation in an arson case.

wake me at midnight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wake me at midnight

Good thing Woot didn't plan ahead so we wouldn't have to use the more expensive shipping to have it in time for Thanksgiving. Thanks!

satimney wrote:I was just thinking the same thing. You have to be pretty damn desperate for a turkey fryer to take the chance of this being delivered on time.

Good luck, suckers!

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

Turkey is very healthy for you until you deep fry it.

Bill

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner
larryhod wrote:How big of a turkey will it do?

The details section says 14lbs

Bill

dymekd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dymekd

Beer brewing - holds just shy of 4 gallons total. Add reflectix insulation around the pot as it can not hold a boil otherwise with 4 gallons water/wort. The valve is handy to drain it somewhere else, but I could not find a matching pipe thread to add couplings, etc. I did fire it up for sous vide with a DIY temperature controller and food safe pump, and just worm clamped the hose on to where the valve screws in. Worked great for sous vide. And worked great as a hot water (liquor) tank for beer brewing, but not so good as a boil kettle (too small, too hard to clean when insulated).

For anyone considering this, keep in mind that the 1800 max watts will be your limiting factor on how fast it can come up to temperature or recover temperature after a food addition.

'zon links
High temp pump

Temperature controller

quartermane

quality posts: 6 Private Messages quartermane
conanthelibrarian wrote:Remember, safety first!

Very good reviews (4.5+ out of 5.0) over at masterbuilt.com and TONS of great reviews (4 out of 5 stars) over at qvc.com

Wrong unit, your url takes a 20lb bird. 14lb is too small

davejostef

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davejostef

My problem with deep fryers of ANY kind is, what the heck do you do with all that "used" oil? Such a pain to dispose of properly. Any thoughts on that part?

shell77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shell77

I highly recommend the duck fat roasting. I did it for the first time last year, and everyone (including my mom who's pickier than the average 5 year old) agreed it was the best turkey they'd ever had. If you're into gravy, the gravy was amazing, and something about the duck fat would make it melt back into perfect smooth gravy upon re-heating in the microwave for leftovers, unlike my usual gravy in which once cooled, the lumps never completely come out again. I used the same duck fat woot has for sale today (they also had it last year) and you don't even need that much, I used at most a third of the container for a ~14lb turkey.

fireballtp wrote:So tonight was grocery night. Fareway finally had a deal on strip steaks, my wife's favorite.

Like many stores do at this time of year, they gave me a free 12 lbs turkey. This seems like a small bird, but it will be perfect for our needs.

There are 2 ways I am considering preparing the bird, neither of which I have tried. First, deep fry.... the other option is normal roasting with some duck fat. SOOOO. wine woot has duck fat and truffle butter.. And here we have a turkey fryer...

hmmmmmmm

Prngr44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Prngr44
davejostef wrote:My problem with deep fryers of ANY kind is, what the heck do you do with all that "used" oil? Such a pain to dispose of properly. Any thoughts on that part?

I know a few people that have converted their diesels to run on vegetable oil so if you don't personally know someone there's usually ads on CL of people looking to recycle everyone's used oil.

timothywright27

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timothywright27

Hey, that looks a lot like a cornba... AAAHHH, for the love of god!

poostorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poostorm
cappo wrote:Why must you tempt me so, Woot?

I think I'm going to stick with the ol' Alton Brown vegetable broth brine and ripping hot oven method.

We do the AB method every year. Last my brother in law tried to smoke it in a Traeger, but it was not a hit. So, back to AB this year.

usanettom

quality posts: 11 Private Messages usanettom

I bought one of these just a couple months ago, for about $30 more on Amazon. So far, I love it. I haven't had any of the problems other people have complained about. It's pretty easy to clean, and works very well. I have only fried one turkey so far, and way overcooked it. I suggest checking the internal temp after the first 20 minutes or so, and cooking more if needed, checking often. I have cooked 3 whole chickens, and they all came out great. I've done a lot of wings, some chicken-fried steak, and they have all come out very nicely.

When frying a turkey, read the instructions! I had virtually no splatter when I fried mine (the splatter is what causes houses/decks/garages to catch fire).

What I'm saying is I highly recommend this. It works great if you use it properly.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington
pupyluvr wrote:What if you use it with a Norbest Turkey?

I'm pretty sure that the turkey does not have to be injected with a brine (water, salt, modified food starch, sodium phosphates and natural flavors) at a Butterball factory to work with this fryer.

We prefer turkeys without the 'broth injection'.

giolee88

quality posts: 16 Private Messages giolee88
davejostef wrote:My problem with deep fryers of ANY kind is, what the heck do you do with all that "used" oil? Such a pain to dispose of properly. Any thoughts on that part?

Another nice thing about this... it doesn't need nearly as much oil as my propane fryer w/ pot. Cleans quick. Light enough so that bringing it up from the basement isn't a chore so I use it several times a year now. Crab bakes. Lobster. Fried apple pie, fried snickers. fish 'n chips. Re-use the oil a few times, and then dump it.

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
barndon wrote:What are the chances of this making it to my door before Thanksgiving if I select 1 day shipping?

Knowing woots Shipping choice , prolly Slim. You prolly would have a better chance , to fry the turkey for Christmas lol ;) lol.

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
fireballtp wrote:So tonight was grocery night. Fareway finally had a deal on strip steaks, my wife's favorite.

Like many stores do at this time of year, they gave me a free 12 lbs turkey. This seems like a small bird, but it will be perfect for our needs.

There are 2 ways I am considering preparing the bird, neither of which I have tried. First, deep fry.... the other option is normal roasting with some duck fat. SOOOO. wine woot has duck fat and truffle butter.. And here we have a turkey fryer...

hmmmmmmm

I would love to know what stores are giving away free turkey so that way I will know where to shop at . Every where here you have to buy your turkey .

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

DumbAmerican

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DumbAmerican

I have used one of these fryers before as well. Loved it, until I got my smoker. There are a couple of things you need to add on to this if you've never used one before; big heavy gloves or an oven mitt to remove the turkey when done and a good thermometer to see how hot the oil is getting. Also know it takes about an hour to heat the oil up before you drop your turkey in it. I used mine outside only because the oil can splatter when adding or removing the turkey. You just don't want that mess in your kitchen. Get the big tub of peanut oil from Costco and you have enough to last a while. I fry my turkey on Thanksgiving then make french fries with the used oil on Black Friday... yummmmm!

dlibrizzi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlibrizzi

Yes. Not a good year for large turkey production.
Several stories available, this is the first I found:
http://tinyurl.com/qgj3k3d

pmcm wrote:They're small this year? Turkeys are domestically 'grown', fed in flocks. We're not talking wild turkeys here.

pchadwick78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pchadwick78
icthulhu wrote:That one's the 20-lb size. The woot one is the 14-lb size.

Not sure about these non-conventional fryers, but generally you don't want to fry a turkey much bigger than 15 lbs anyway (18 lbs max) because you end up over-cooking the outer parts of the turkey to get the inside up to temp.

rocketdoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rocketdoctor

Ive had this for years and its awesome. Not only is it the cooks the best tasting turkey youve ever had in under an hour its versatile for any fried food. Ive cooked alot of freshly caught halibut with this which was amazing as well.

for those of you poo pooing fried turkey its no less healthy than anything else, the meat is juicy not only and not oily or anymore fattening than a fried turkey

While we are on the subject of fattening, This countries obscene obesity rate is due to the Insane amount of Sugar and Grains Americans consume not the fried food or fat content. Dont believe me do some research and see how the obesity rate skyrocket after the introduction of low fat diets

sleddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleddy

All I can say is 'Thank You! That was beautiful.' I'm speechless, otherwise.

DarkZrobe wrote:Mandatory Turkey Safety Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2dwPTnsyA

Sorry if the song is now stuck in your head.

spcyhknBC

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spcyhknBC

Oil can be used multiple times, just strain it before you store it. Used or unused for that matter, oil is also biodegradable. I have a hole in my backyard that I dump used oil into. Do not try and compost oil unless you know what you are doing, but just dumping it in your backyard is fine.

wafflehound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wafflehound
dlibrizzi wrote:Yes. Not a good year for large turkey production.
Several stories available, this is the first I found:
http://tinyurl.com/qgj3k3d

This is very strange.

"We experienced a decline in weight gains on SOME of our farms causing a limited availability of large, fresh turkeys".

Not ONE farm, SOME farms.

martybkc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martybkc

What is the actual oil capacity?

How well does it work with breaded or battered foods?

What was another poster talking about regarding wire vs solid baskets?

So many questions, so little time...

martybkc

shell77 wrote:I highly recommend the duck fat roasting.

How does "fat roasting" work? It's not a familiar culinary term. Are you talking about brushing the bird with melted duck fat, or something else?

digitalis303

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitalis303
rocketdoctor wrote:
While we are on the subject of fattening, This countries obscene obesity rate is due to the Insane amount of Sugar and Grains Americans consume not the fried food or fat content. Dont believe me do some research and see how the obesity rate skyrocket after the introduction of low fat diets

The increase in obesity is in large part due to the lack of physical activity. We sit on our butts too much. Fatty foods do have the unfortunate quality that they are about twice as calorie dense as carb-heavy foods though. But, regardless of food type, excess calories will make you fat if you don't burn them off.

martybkc

spcyhknBC wrote:Oil can be used multiple times, just strain it before you store it.

Where meat or fish has been cooked in oil, it is best stored refrigerated after being strained. Not necessary to refrigerate oil used to cook veggies. Some folks might want to consider whether to sacrifice space the size of a gallon jug or better in their fridge for used cooking oil.

Many impurities in cooking oil can be removed by slow frying chunks of potatoes, which absorb flavor contaminants.

fireballtp

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fireballtp
Denimbear wrote:I would love to know what stores are giving away free turkey so that way I will know where to shop at . Every where here you have to buy your turkey .

Fareway has a deal where if you buy $50 from the meat dept (not hard to do) you get a free turkey.
Hy-vee has a similar deal... except I think you have to buy a ham.
To be honest, I wasn't even aware of the Fareway deal. Just out doing normal shopping when it was brought to my attention.

orubin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages orubin

We should correlate the sales map of this product with this map: http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2012/11/21/top-10-us-states-for-turkey-fryer-fires

fireballtp

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fireballtp
martybkc wrote:How does "fat roasting" work? It's not a familiar culinary term. Are you talking about brushing the bird with melted duck fat, or something else?

From my understanding, just rub duck fat onto the bird before roasting. Then baste with the duck fat until you can use its own juices

sparkliie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparkliie

I have this turkey fryer. I have used it three times. It is expensive to operate because you have to buy several gallons of cooking oil. It only holds a small turkey. Not more than 12 lbs. at best. It is a mess to clean out and store. It is large. You could reuse the oil is you are keeping it for a short time, which means straining it back into the containers when it's cool. The turkey cooks well, but it is also suggested you inject the turkey with flavors. The whole process is really expensive, and I would not do buy one again. JMHO

penguin9271

quality posts: 6 Private Messages penguin9271

I have one of these and love it! There are just 2 of us in the house, so a small turkey is perfect for us. We have fried turkey breasts, chicken, steak and taquitos with ours. Granted, the oil can be expensive but you can use it more than once.

When I first started shopping for mine some reviewers mentioned the oil smell in the house after using it. I have not seen this to be the case. Cleanup has been very easy for me as well. If I didn't have one I definitely would be in for this.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

orubin wrote:We should correlate the sales map of this product with this map: http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2012/11/21/top-10-us-states-for-turkey-fryer-fires

I went through that and looked at our sales map. A lot of people must already have theirs in those states because most of those states are the lightest on our map.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

Dear woot!

Will you be selling Christmas Trees the week before December 25th as well?

nucleardrugs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nucleardrugs
DarkZrobe wrote:Mandatory Turkey Safety Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2dwPTnsyA

Sorry if the song is now stuck in your head.

Thank you. That was the best laugh I have had in a long time. Best part, no red shirts were injured.

vballhjs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vballhjs

I've had one of these since last year and have cooked 1 turkey and numerous chicken breasts and full chickens as well...
I will note the Turkey came out a bit undone but after letting the chickens thaw completely and adjusting cooking time a bit I've gotten good at getting everything done just right...

I use an extension cord in the garage with the fryer on a fold up table and it does make the garage smell like fried stuff for a few days... Ive read a few things that say that using the extension cord can cause it to have issues keeping the temp up but I dont have a choice as all the outlets in my desired cooking location wouldnt reach otherwise... but adjusting the cooking time a bit helps with that issue...

otherwise the unit is pretty well built, cleanup is fairly easy but not something i'd want to do all the time... recommend the costco peanut oil as well...

skink24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skink24
larryhod wrote:How big of a turkey will it do?

I don't know, check the details and the several comments above yours that already addressed this question.

You'll clearly see that it handles any bird under 47 pounds.