docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash
billthegunowner wrote:Turkey is very healthy for you until you deep fry it.

turkey skin is where the fat is, whether you roast it or fry it. and when you deep fry something it absorbs very little oil. the moisture coming out of the food keeps the oil from getting in. there was an episode of "good eats" where alton brown illustrated this.

deep frying is not particularly unhealthy. and in general, too much starch (especially white bread, white rice and white potatoes) hurts more folks than too much fat.

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages daveinwarshington
Denimbear wrote:I would love to know what stores are giving away free turkey so that way I will know where to shop at . Every where here you have to buy your turkey .

There's a few stores around that 'give' you a turkey, if you spend $150. in the store. It's not too hard to get up to that amount while shopping.

zunish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zunish

Love to get one but not sure it would get here in time and i'm not paying that for shipping. When wanting to sell items for specific times put them out in time to receive them for the occasion.

chesster51

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chesster51

How does this fryer, or fryers in general, compare to infrared turkey cookers?

fieryphoenix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fieryphoenix

I made the plunge and went for the deal. Although I am sure I will use it to fry a turkey or two, I bought it to try out sous vide cooking... wife bought me the home version of Modernist Cooking for our anniversary. From what I Googled, this appliance alone can only resolve to within 2 degrees F of the cooking target, but if I like it, I can later add an aquarium pump and a thermostat for finer tuning.

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu
snaped wrote:From Woot Facebook,It's 2 gallons:
"----i bought 3 of them last season for xmas gifts. takes just shy of 2 gallons of oil. as expected takes a while to heat up but fries beautifully. easy to clean using a hide away spigot. the basket is nice and stirdy, can hang it on the edge when you lift it up. i like to do 7-9lb turkey breasts or two roasting hens in this. have done party wings for a crowd, about 4lbs at a time"

That's just the oil capacity. Then you're adding a 14-lb bird. If you're steeping wort, you'd be thinking of what the capacity was in total

kalaharinight

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kalaharinight

I bought the previous edition of this fryer two years ago and it's been great.

Other people can talk expertly about turkeys. I'll talk about vegetable tempura... LOTS of crisp, hot vegetable tempura, all at once, so for once, everybody gets to eat at the same time. It let me serve fresh hot doughnuts to an entire team of cold volunteer park cleaner-uppers at once. It even makes a decent mulled cider. Basically, it's been a very good machine and a lot more versatile than I expected.

Couple of common-sense warnings - when the chamber is full of oil and food, it is HEAVY. Put it on something sturdy (no card tables) and make sure kids and pets can't get anywhere near it. Also, if you put it on your kitchen counter, unless you are really tall, you're going to be lifting the basket of food up beyond shoulder height to put it in the fryer and take it out. Figure out if that works for you and if it doesn't, maybe consider a lower sturdy place to set it.

Go forth and fry.

Really, I'm not blue, I don't have a ratty beard, and I NEVER wear pink.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
davejostef wrote:My problem with deep fryers of ANY kind is, what the heck do you do with all that "used" oil? Such a pain to dispose of properly. Any thoughts on that part?

@davejostef, check Craigslist - in our area there are several folks looking for used cooking oil to reprocess and run in their Diesel engines.

wootsfromwork

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootsfromwork
fireballtp wrote:So tonight was grocery night. Fareway finally had a deal on strip steaks, my wife's favorite.

Like many stores do at this time of year, they gave me a free 12 lbs turkey. This seems like a small bird, but it will be perfect for our needs.

There are 2 ways I am considering preparing the bird, neither of which I have tried. First, deep fry.... the other option is normal roasting with some duck fat. SOOOO. wine woot has duck fat and truffle butter.. And here we have a turkey fryer...

hmmmmmmm

Wait, where the heck is fareway giving away 12 lb birds??? I can only assume you are in Iowa - at least I think fareway is an Iowa thing...

snaped

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snaped
icthulhu wrote:That's just the oil capacity. Then you're adding a 14-lb bird. If you're steeping wort, you'd be thinking of what the capacity was in total

Sorry no first hand exp here,but was just figuring on 8lbs per gallon of water VS turkey mass and this would not be able to to a 5 gallon batch...Might be good for a 2.5

bostonbudz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bostonbudz

I made a 10lb corndog in one of these last year

dsmmrm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dsmmrm
skink24 wrote:I don't know, check the details and the several comments above yours that already addressed this question.

You'll clearly see that it handles any bird under 47 pounds.

Ah, so I'm good to go with my Thanksgiving emu. Thanks.

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash
satimney wrote:I was just thinking the same thing. You have to be pretty damn desperate for a turkey fryer to take the chance of this being delivered on time.

Good luck, suckers!

well, here it is 3 days before T-day and the unit is here in my soon-to-be-hot little hands.

thanks, WOOT!!!

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

docflash wrote:well, here it is 3 days before T-day and the unit is here in my soon-to-be-hot little hands.

thanks, WOOT!!!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

keifuz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keifuz

Mine arrived, but missing the valve spout & valve door in the rear... Neither look especially crucial- but I guess I'll have to figure out how to have them sent to me.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

keifuz wrote:Mine arrived, but missing the valve spout & valve door in the rear... Neither look especially crucial- but I guess I'll have to figure out how to have them sent to me.

Sorry to hear that you're missing some items from your order. I would recommend that you contact Masterbuilt Customer Support to see if they can supplement your purchase.

If they're unable to help you, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know.

ccpharrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccpharrell

Wow, awesome job Woot, got mine tonight!

elitemrp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elitemrp

Got mine today. Can't wait to fry up a spiral ham!

my woot stats as of 07-25-2013:
www.woot : 65 orders (114 items) | wine.woot : 6 orders (10 items)
shirt.woot : 7 orders (8 items) | sellout.woot :11 orders (22 items)
home.woot : 13 orders (21 items) | tech woot : 2 (2 items)
tools.woot : 3 (5 items)
total woots : 107 orders (182 total items)

dschlice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschlice

Excellent Delivery time. I am disappointed in basket size ... two turkeys 11.9 lb & a 10.5 lb ... neither fit in basket... even squashed in... expect it means HEN turkeys , not TOM turkeys... could not find any HEN turkeys in area and so did Oven Roasting .... I should have done better research on both turkey size and the price of peanut oil ... Whew !!!

DanielJorisch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DanielJorisch

Thought I only ordered one....turns out a gigantic box came instead. So I have one extra Turkey Fryer (not certain I have space for 2). Anyone interested?