dcrepeau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcrepeau
dvdsimpson wrote:I haven't seen this answered yet. I stream through a Sony blu ray player with apps. Any advantage to the roku?

tonyp063

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonyp063
W1tch wrote:Does anyone know how much are Roku 3s selling for at Costco?

$95

dcrepeau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcrepeau
dvdsimpson wrote:I haven't seen this answered yet. I stream through a Sony blu ray player with apps. Any advantage to the roku?

I much prefer the Roku interface for Netflix and You Tube over what my blu ray player provides.

visualfeast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages visualfeast

Plus Roku's built-in search really is awesome.

W1tch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages W1tch
tonyp063 wrote:$95

Thanks!!

thomasr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasr

With shipping, $99.98 plus state tax

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox

Channels.

Thousands of 'em, including the surprisingly entertaining WWE channel, which isn't on smart TVs/DVD players yet. Granted, a huge number of those channels are religious oriented, but a lot more are entertainment or news oriented. My Sony BluRay has a pitiful 2 dozen or so apps compared to Roku.

agander1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agander1

I bought one of these the last time woot was selling them, along with the 2 new units I have purchased. I have an Amazon Prime account, and share a Netflix account along with OTA. I havenn't even noticed not having cable. For the remote issue with the refurbs, open the battery case and push the button, thats it, not rocket science.

tslattery

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tslattery
xninjagrrl wrote:Well it appears you may be able to do this using plex but seems hit or miss. I recently got a gen 2 roku lt and it is really limited in its capabilities. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Most people already have ways to do things like watch netflix, hulu, amazon etc and stream files on their local network. This doesn't even do dlna, obviously, needs plex. I'm not seeing a way within plex media server to add entire folders so I am forced to add each file individually. No way I'd want to do that with terabytes of crap. I guess the roku 3 has a USB slot but only supports a limited amount of file types. No avi I believe? I only paid 25 bucks for mine after two days I am over it. The private channels suck and I already have 3 gaming consoles with much better versions of apps like netflix. Unless I can find some sweet .bundle plug ins on GitHub I will eventually give mine to a friend.

Ps. Plex roku channel now costs five bucks after the trial expires. For free you can add the private channel: rarflix
Works well

The Plex channel is free. To add a folder to Plex, just click on the plus icon, tell it what type of media, and then select the folder. Very easy. It will scan for whatever you told it to. My Blu-ray player does DLNA, but the interface is terrible compared to Plex so I stick with that.

Chinner87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chinner87

Originally I tried using mine at an apartment. According to the service rep I spoke to, some routers have interference issues. So to completely remove that possibility, I brought it home to my place in the sticks where the only wifi signal was my own. After switching the router to the suggested channel, it was still a complete and utter no-go. Roku sent me a brand new unit that works perfectly. So... be patient... attempt to work through all the issues... don't get too PO'd at the phone rep (who you may or may not be able to understand terribly well) as they have a script to work from. In the end, they WILL make it right... and this is one heck of a deal!

tslattery

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tslattery
xninjagrrl wrote:Except that most TVs don't have MHL ports so you have to buy an adapter so you can plug this roku stick into a hdmi port. Chromecast is a much better value as it's usually on sale for about 28 bucks.
I'm curious as to what Amazons steaming stick and/or box will offer. It is hard to compete with them price-wise usually.

Except that the new Roku Streaming Stick uses HDMI, not MHL. Sure, Chromecast is cheaper (although I've yet to see it on sale), but I plan on tossing mine aside for either this Roku 3 or their stick.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Woot community deal posted for a refurb Roku 2 XS for $48.95 shipped. Same thing but with slightly older processor and minus the headphone jack. Still ethernet and WiFi. Still USB. Still non-IR remote.
http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/c3f32336-1806-46ef-b680-71c4671c5488/roku-2-xs-1080p-hd-streaming-media-player-w-motion-sensor-control-angry-birds

billybot991

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billybot991

All that glitters is sometimes not gold. I bought a Roku direct from their website. In less than six months, I have gone through 3. Two have been defective. Makes you wonder why they are featured on Woot as "refurbished". If buying check the warranty!

chickenbutt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chickenbutt

I have two Roku 3 units, both purchased new, and love them. I'd like to get another one for my husband but am having a hard time feeling comfortable about a refurb, from so many problems I've read all over internetland about the refurbs. *sigh*

But if it works, like both of mine do, it is really awesome. I also really love the earbuds. I have tinnitus which often causes me a lot of trouble hearing everything going on in a show or movie. With headphones or earbuds I can hear so much better. Earbuds are nice because you can lay down without the bulk of the big wireless headphones.

The sound is excellent and I can walk all around my house without any interference or degradation of sound.

I just wish I could get comfortable with the notion of a refurb. Would like another one but would not like to shell out another $100.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

I purchased 2 Sony streaming media players, a SMP-N100 and a SMP-N200. Both were great at streaming shows from Crackle. Then I got a subscription to Netflix. Both Sonys go into an endless re-buffering mode making watching movies on Netflix basically worthless. A 2 hour movie can take 4+ hours to watch. Contacted Sony to find out how to fix this, but was told nothing would help. I also purchased a Roku XD years ago (from Woot) and just hooked it up after all these years. It is infinitely better than the Sony players. It seems to need to re-buffer once or twice, but watching a movie is so much better now.

jimbonsf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimbonsf

The Roku Streaming Stick is just $49.99 BRAND NEW at many online stores.

I just got it and it is DANDY! I recommend people get it, if they have an HDMI input on their TV.

knotworking

quality posts: 12 Private Messages knotworking

Fear no refurb, I have yet to be burned (and I buy a LOT of refurb tech gadgets). No internal moving parts, so if it's working when you get it and you don't treat it like a hockey puck, it should* keep working.

* - if you really want to keep this or any wired gadget with a board & processor happy, use a power filter/surge protector (even better, one with a battery backup). Power fluctuations cause stress over time.

mcarver5091

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcarver5091

I currently own 2 x Roku 2 XS (refurbed) and 1 x Roku 3 players. I have also since cut the cable cord and do everything on my Roku devices. Their are more than enough channels to keep one entertained and when you combine with the Plex channel, you can watch the local (CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS) channels. I also have Hulu + so I can watch some FOX stuff on their. I can also watch my movies/TV that I own on my Netgear NAS. I wished I had made the switch a long time ago. Best media device on the market, currently, IMO.

inirons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages inirons

In for one... with fingers crossed...

I bought Roku 3 back in Dec 2013 when they had it on woot. It came in and I could not get the remote to pair. Yes I knew about the switch in the remote.... but the remote did NOT have the switch. Also switched out to fresh batteries. No joy.

What made matters worse is the weeks of delay by Woot customer service. Just returned it back to them finally after a month of emails.

In this case if this one doesnt work again I will just work with Roku directly as I really want the Roku 3 ... I just dont have the confidence in Woot customer service the way its been the past year or so. A subsidiary owned by Amazon I expect better.

But Roku is a great product, on all else of the new ones I have purchased (5 total) I only had the one refurb dud from woot, the rest had no problem.

And the wifi is great, I can stream 720p video all the way across the house with metal studs and multiple walls, whilst my other network bridges etc struggle these Rokus do a pretty good job with wifi signal and reception. Of course this Roku 3 has ethernet which is fine as I have a ethernet switch cable drop in the living room for all my media center stuff.

Lets see what happens...

chickenbutt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chickenbutt
knotworking wrote:Fear no refurb, I have yet to be burned (and I buy a LOT of refurb tech gadgets). No internal moving parts, so if it's working when you get it and you don't treat it like a hockey puck, it should* keep working.

* - if you really want to keep this or any wired gadget with a board & processor happy, use a power filter/surge protector (even better, one with a battery backup). Power fluctuations cause stress over time.

Thanks for the info! I treat my electronics pretty well and have either UPS or surge protectors on everything.

draigun

quality posts: 29 Private Messages draigun

What's the battery life like on the remote when using it with headphones? I can't imagine it would be too good since it's going from needing power to transmit input every now and then to constantly streaming audio, but it's a cool enough feature it may have me interested.

toygate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toygate

I bought one from Woot and another from Amazon, both refurbished. Both had weak batteries and failed to pair. Put in new batteries and they paired fine. Don't waste time trying to pair without changing batteries. After that, great device!

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

I bought two of these last time. One had a bad power cord. I was able to switch the good one between the two to confirm this. Woot customer service BLOWS to the point that I will no longer buy from Woot. I sent emails to them and would receive a reply about every three weeks. The first couple replies led me to believe they didn't read my email requests for an operable power cord. Finally...nothing. They never did follow through. They just quit responding. Great device, but Woot has gone so far down hill with customer service they are no longer worth it.

renais

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renais

The Wii also has the YouTube channel (free). A few comments--one by a Wii owner--made me think this isn't known. Most people probably do know that they can watch Netflix on the Wii. This is a PSA and nothing against the Roku3, which looks like a good product.

83jagman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 83jagman

So this is like the 5th time Woot has has offered this item at this price. The reviews and comments on this item are overwhelmingly positive.

Here's what I don't understand: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY REFURBS IF THIS ITEM IS SO GREAT?

This is even the 2nd time this month Woot has had this available. There has to be something going on for so many of these to have been returned and re-sold. WHAT GIVES???

LJohnny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LJohnny
83jagman wrote:So this is like the 5th time Woot has has offered this item at this price. The reviews and comments on this item are overwhelmingly positive.

Here's what I don't understand: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY REFURBS IF THIS ITEM IS SO GREAT?

This is even the 2nd time this month Woot has had this available. There has to be something going on for so many of these to have been returned and re-sold. WHAT GIVES???

Hah! Indeed great question. I am in for one. I wondered the same as I was placing my order in. hum...

Sokudoningyou

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Sokudoningyou
83jagman wrote:So this is like the 5th time Woot has has offered this item at this price. The reviews and comments on this item are overwhelmingly positive.

Well, just from reading the complaints, a lot of people couldn't pair the remote to the player, so they sent them back. So what may have just been a faulty remote ended up in a lot of units sent back to Woot that aren't actually faulty.

eds65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eds65
dcrepeau wrote:

Lots... Namely a lot more apps, quicker access time (it's on all the time) clean, easy to use interface, less on/off of the Blu-Ray.. I also have Sony Blu-Ray..

eds65

The surround sound on many of the Netflix offerings is Dolby Digital Plus. If your sound system isn't compatible with DD+, and the roku is set to surround sound, you'll get no audio..

stanase

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stanase

I have the Roku 3 and I have not used anything else since I got it.
With Roku 3 you can cable cut without any question. put USTV now app for some free networks and youre free as a bird. Can you do that with your Sony ?

RichardCarver

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RichardCarver
dcrepeau wrote:

I have the Roku 3 and the Sony BR with apps...think Starship compared to a Model T Ford, seriously. The R3 is a world of entertainment available nowhere else. I'm currently watching a channel called ADC, mostly Australian and New Zealand movies and TV, its free as are hundreds of others.

Do yourself a favor, get one.

eds65

The surround sound on many of the Netflix offerings is Dolby Digital Plus. If your sound system isn't compatible with DD+, and the Roku 3 is set to surround sound, you'll get no audio..

d3r4kzaugg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d3r4kzaugg

about $95 last time I looked

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
83jagman wrote:Here's what I don't understand: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY REFURBS IF THIS ITEM IS SO GREAT?

There's a carp load of refurbs for ANY popular electronic device. The amount of refurbished Apple Macs and iPods dwarfs the amount of Rokus. TONS of refurbished Samsung Galaxy devices. Woot has just become obsessed with the Roku for some reason. Something had to replace the Dyson...

Trust the reviews. They're written by people like you and I. Hundreds of random people don't all say the same thing for no reason.

inirons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages inirons

If any of you folks are interested in cutting the cord and getting off cable a guy named Wizwor who is on here sometimes has a very good blog called the beer's on comcast. A lot of integrating roku with simple.Tv devices sold here including some antenna info. Very informative blog with some Roku articles. ... here is link not sure we can link but here goes:

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

wizwor

quality posts: 26 Private Messages wizwor

Sorry I'm late. Here are all the answers to all of your questions...

This is a Roku 3. It is the best supported and most powerful Roku. It's not the most recent model, and, in my opinion, it's not the best.

The Good: It's 5x faster processor than the others. It is the best supported model -- the YouTube and Netflix updates hit this model first.

The Bad: No composite out. Even if you do not have an older TV with no HDMI, composite audio is a very cool feature. You can route this audio out to a soundbar, a receiver's aux audio, or even amplified speakers so you can listen to Pandora or Spotify without running your TV.

The Ugly: WiFi remote! To allow you to listen to audio via an earbud jack on the R3 remote, they stream remote commands and audio via WiFi. This causes interference issues including choppy sound and an unresponsive remote. Worse, when your WiFi router is interfered with, it throttle speed to improve connection quality. Of course, if you do plug earbuds into that jack, keep a box of batteries nearby.

Here is a chart comparing the features of all the currently available Rokus including the veneralbe Roku 2 XS which is my favorite...

Here is another chart comparing the processing power of the various models...

It's easy to see that this Roku is much faster than the others, but, since the Roku has been streaming HD for years and the Rokus released after this one reverted to a slower processor, you might wonder what all those extra bogoloops are doing for you.

Back to the questions...

Q. Can this play files from an NFS mount.
A. Maybe. They have to be in the right format and there has to be some kind of server software in the mix.

Q. Is the new stick a Chromecast killer.
A. No it is a really inexpensive variant of the Roku 2 family.

Q. What does this offer that my other streamer doesn't?
A. Whether you have an Xbox, a SMP, or a BD player, it's all about the channels. Compare the content your current streamer can play to what you see at http://www.roku.com/channels. Read the descriptions carefully because the Roku Fox News Channel IS NOT what you get on Comcast.

Q. What do channels and content cost?
A. Some apps (channels) cost money, some apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, MLB.com, etc.) require you to pay a monthly or annual fee for content. Some charge for the app and again for the content. Some require you authenticate with a cable provider. There are some very good, free apps...

Out of the box, your Roku will have THOUSANDS of channels (apps) of programming. These channels may free or you may have to buy them. You may also have to pay a monthly or annual fee for content. Netflix, MLB.com, and Hulu are free apps, but you have to pay for their content. Here are some free apps with free content...

ADC: Free movie channel
Amazon Cloud Player: Play all the free music Amazon sends my way
CNN: Includes CNN International Live for background news and information
Crackle: Sony’s FREE version of Netflix
CS50: Harvard Intro to Computer Science course
Comedy Time: ‘Play All’ makes for good background noise
CBSSports.com: ‘Play All’ feature makes for a nice sports news channel
CNBC: Streaming business news for news and information
FoxNews: Stream from web site plus clips of popular shows with ‘Play All’
Kaplan College Prep: Help your kid with his SATs
Lecture Kings: Librivox audio box is hidden in a channel of university lectures
Nowhere TV
OVGuide: Free movie channel
PBS
Popcornflix
Popflix Classic TV: 26 Men, Adventures of Robin Hood, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Burns and Allen, Date with the Angels, Dragnet, Life with Elizabeth, The Lone Ranger, The Lucy Show, Man with a Camera, Petticoat Junction, Sherlock Holmes, Westerns, You Bet Your Life
PubDHub: The stuff your dad used to reminisce about — ancient cartoons, PSAs, commercials, and movies
Smithsonian: Better than the Discovery channel
TWiT: Steve Gibson, Leo Laporte, and others talk tech
WSJ Live: WSJ had good election coverage
YouTube

Q. Can I watch live/local television on my Roku?
A. If you like local programming/broadcast television, Aereo [aereo.com] streams these for $8 (one set) to $12 (two sets) per month. Aereo includes a 'cloud DVR' as well. Aereo works well, but many complained about buffering during the Superbowl and it is on-demand, so after watching the Big Bang Theory, you bounce out to their menu and select Two and a Half Men, etc. (In April the Supreme Court will hear a case that may determine that Aereo is not legal; google is your friend)

Q. Why are there so many refurbs?
A. Because Roku is not the same as cable, networking is hard, the internet is getting congested, and the cable guy won't come to your house and make it work. This is not a toaster. A lot of people find making things work a lot harder than expected and the results a lot less than promised. Good for the rest of us, right?

Q. Why don't these have a slot for a cable card?
A. Because they don't.

Q. Is the Plex channel free?
A. No it is not. It's been $4.99 since December.

Q. Should I get a refurb?
A. (Sorry Woot) Some have complained that Woot and Newegg have been really bad with refurbs -- shipping junk and not supporting their customers. I've only ever had one problem with a refurb (R2XS remote) and Roku shipped me a new one right away. Call Roku if you have problems. DO NOT USE their forums unless you need exercise. RokuShawnS et all will have you running around in circles and jumping through hoops.

Q. Can I watch YouTube on my Roku?
A. YES. The Roku 3 (this one) has an official YouTube app. For other models, check out VideoBuzz.

Thanks for the plug inirons and happy streaming to the rest of you!

TheBeersOnComcast
RokuForDummies
SimpleTVForDummies

PS, I think the Mohu Channels is going to be a lot of fun. Be sure to check out their Kickstarter project before it closes!

halazar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages halazar

The new roku stick is HDMI, not MHL, and uses an external power supply. I believe that's just like chromecast.

That means you can decide between the roku stick and this deal based on your favored ethernet transport mechanism and other features.

xninjagrrl wrote:Except that most TVs don't have MHL ports so you have to buy an adapter so you can plug this roku stick into a hdmi port. Chromecast is a much better value as it's usually on sale for about 28 bucks.
I'm curious as to what Amazons steaming stick and/or box will offer. It is hard to compete with them price-wise usually.

rfortner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfortner

Im not an expert by any means, but i believe if your NFS has some type of media server or is DLNA compliant, the ROKU media player will play certain audio and video types. I can view videos from my GoPro or from movies ive saved via handbrake. search for more info on the roku media player and you might find the warm fuzzy you're looking for. I was yearning for this capability until the latest Roku media player came out.

bakerzdosen wrote:Maybe (just maybe) someone can answer what Google hasn't helped me with:

Will this play movies from an NFS mount?

I'm leaning towards one of these but no NFS is a deal breaker. I use XBMC for everything else, but would like to try one of these guys if it'll do it.

slicnic911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slicnic911

would this would stream video overseas? I brought a Vizio smart tv with me to Brazil thinking it'd be good for playing netflix, etc. Unfortunately, Vizio's netflix app doesn't work out of the US I came to find out. Thanks!

wizwor

quality posts: 26 Private Messages wizwor
slicnic911 wrote:would this would stream video overseas? I brought a Vizio smart tv with me to Brazil thinking it'd be good for playing netflix, etc. Unfortunately, Vizio's netflix app doesn't work out of the US I came to find out. Thanks!

Lots of problems using outside the country. People use proxies to look like they are in the US, but, generally, this is illegal and unsupported.