Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Our favorite promotional partnerships are the ones where our partner does all the work. Take our new SMS arrangement with this company SayNow - they had an idea, they contacted us about helping them implement it, and to make it work, they use the RSS and podcasts we already offer. If only all of our partnerships were so easy (for us).

By now, you're probably wondering what on Earth we're talking about. Thanks to SayNow, you can call 415-944-8383 from any phone, anytime to hear our current podcast. Why? That's your business. But here's one good reason: if you call from an SMS-equipped phone, you're automatically signed up to receive a daily text alert of the latest Woot offering, sent directly from our RSS feed to your phone. Your standard SMS messaging rates will apply.

The first time you call, you'll hear a welcome message, followed in short order by the familiar turntable fanfare of our beloved Wootcast. Press 7 to set up your preferences - whether you want to receive text messages or phone calls, whether you want to hear the podcasts in English, Estonian, Tagalog, or Xhosa. (Just kidding - it's English-only for the forseeable future.) Pressing 2 will send a message back to us, which may or may not be listened to, depending on our ever-changing moods. Hit 0 for instructions or # anytime to unsubscribe.

The possibilities are practically infinite. Out nightclubbing when the clock strikes twelve? Don't call home and wake your sleepy (room)mate to check the new woot - one glance at your phone will tell you whether you need to rush back and buy. Trying to explain the elusive magic of our daily Wootcast to an audience of skeptical acquaintances? Dial up SayNow and let them hear it for themselves. Whatever you do, don't bother us if you have service issues - this is SayNow's gig, and you can pester them at support@saynow.com.

opello

quality posts: 2 Private Messages opello

Now, just come up with an easy way to remember the number
this may help

Dan
opello

Gir1337

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gir1337

Is it free (as in beer)?

Mrbimpel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mrbimpel

This is awesome! I've been trying to figure out an easy way to get this lately, and here it is!

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
Gir1337 wrote:Is it free (as in beer)?

From SayNow's website --

SayNow's Website wrote:
  • everyone's number is kept totally private and
    it's free!

Blademstr3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blademstr3

i use wootwatchers.com for email and sms. but if this say now thing comes from the same number everyday, then i will be happy cause wootwatchers comes from different email addresses and its annoying.

JimmyMood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JimmyMood

Now we need a way to buy an item from a cell phone.

holyteach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages holyteach

Not bad, but with wootwatchers I can configure keywords that have to match before they'll text me. So I only get texted for woots that I'm interested in.

nsonduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nsonduck

the most recent step to woot domination....

"...I like caviar and I had a double Glenlivet, which made me reckless and determined, which, I believe, is what the heart most requires even if it brings trouble, for recklessness and determination make life come alive."

wizard7926

holyteach wrote:Not bad, but with wootwatchers I can configure keywords that have to match before they'll text me. So I only get texted for woots that I'm interested in.

What about those things you'd never knew you needed? Those come up all the time..

martyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martyr

sweet, now i don't have to use the alarm clock on my cell phone to wake up and check the woot... the woot itself can wake me up instead.

-myrt

wizard7926

how exactly close to midnight is this going to arrive? my woot updates have been arriving around 1:02am eastern, and those seconds are precious if it comes to a Blinged-Out Cabbage!

edit: guess we'll find out in a few minutes anyway..

take5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages take5
wizard7926 wrote:how exactly close to midnight is this going to arrive? my woot updates have been arriving around 1:02am eastern, and those seconds are precious if it comes to a Blinged-Out Cabbage!

edit: guess we'll find out in a few minutes anyway..

4 minutes till i got the call

SaulB50

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SaulB50

With my current plan I get 50 text messages per month ...I guess this is a good way to waste 31 of them.

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov
SaulB50 wrote:With my current plan I get 50 text messages per month ...I guess this is a good way to waste 31 of them.

or 28 if it's february

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

I wonder what this will do during a wootoff

rageboy04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rageboy04

30 in September, April, June, and November.

SaulB50 wrote:
With my current plan I get 50 text messages per month ...I guess this is a good way to waste 31 of them.

pblgov wrote:

or 28 if it's february

and 29 in leap years.

holyteach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages holyteach
wizard7926 wrote:What about those things you'd never knew you needed? Those come up all the time..

In my case, I'm up at midnight 95% of the time to check woot anyway. But if I've already gone to bed, there's probably a good reason for it. I don't mind being "woken" for something specific I know I'm looking for, but for an unknown I'd rather just sleep.

For a Woot-off, on the other hand, I turn off all filters so I can just get notified *every* time the product changes.

Donnie7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Donnie7

just make moble.woot.com or m.woot.com where you can check it on your phone and just have the picture and a buy it now button

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth
pblgov wrote:I wonder what this will do during a wootoff

Excellent question. Probably something similar to the seizures woot!'s servers suffer during these stressful events. I would anticipate longer than whatever turns out to be normal delays in getting the calls/messages out. Enough to miss a quick sellout. Caffiene more reliable.

supermandancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermandancer

This. Is. SO. Teh. Awesome...

Holy crap, Woot! This is a great partnership!! Because yeah, there are other ways to be notified that a new Woot product is up...quicker ways, more efficiant ways, ways that don't involve me shelling out texts or using my precious phone minutes...but I don't care about that! I'm too broke to care about even the most economy-style Woots (let's put it this way....laying down the dough for a Blinged-Out Cabbage plus shipping would bankrupt me to the sad point of not being able to afford gas to get to work for a week-and-a-half...yup, yup. I'm that pathetic...)! And I know what you're thinking; If I don't buy anything, then what good am I?!? Well, I do my part to support Woot financially by recruiting more and more people into the Woot world. I introduce the wonderful world of Woot to them and encourage them to buy, buy, BUY that which I cannot afford!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

Oh, right...*cough*...sorry. The point was that I don't care that this new Woot goodie will tell me that a new Woot has arrived.....all I care about are those wonderful, happy, fantastic WOOT PODCASTS!!!! Yaaay!! Now I can listen to them whenever and WHERE EVER I GO!!! I can listen to the latest tale of scurvy old Bluetooth while waiting for the light to turn green.....or diiip into the Listener Mailbag in the Grocery store checkout line!! Those amazing little chipmunk-like jingle-singing dudes in my laptop, will now be the amazing little chipmunk-like jingle-singing dudes in my cell phone!! And just think how much easier it will be to suck people into the Woot Universe now that I can put a hysterical Podcast in their ears anytime, anyplace!! Wow...the possibilities are endless!! Thanks, Woot! And other-company-who-is-now-partnering-with-Woot!

supermandancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supermandancer

Oh, and does anyone know how I could get my hands on a recording of the Woot Podcast from last Oct or Nov when they were hocking the Matrix Ultimate Collection? That was the funniest Podcast EVAR......

Pencap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pencap

This just helps further the addiction you know...

CaptinShmit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptinShmit
Oh, and does anyone know how I could get my hands on a recording of the Woot Podcast from last Oct or Nov when they were hocking the Matrix Ultimate Collection?

Right here...
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ShowSaleForum.aspx?p=18
http://www.woot.com/Files/wootcast111405-80kac961372-df7d-4a42-9c10-e3ac40d001dd..mp3

minocc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages minocc
rageboy04 wrote:

and 29 in leap years.

but if a wootoff is in the near future, go ahead and pay the $20 a month for the unlimited text/data package. otherwise, you may have an unplesant surprise coming

PapaLazarou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PapaLazarou

signed up yesterday but got no SMS for tonights woot. Great idea if it works out.

Kingu

quality posts: 41 Private Messages Kingu

Didn't get an SMS last night either. It has only actually worked once, though the confirmation messages work perfectly. Don't really want to bother with the call version.. Did we break them?

prashanth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prashanth

Hello wooters,
I am the SayNow PM working with Woot on the phone-casts. Thanks for all your comments. Thought I would step in and address some of your concerns regarding the phone-cast

1. No Alert Last night: “I did not get an alert last night, what happened?”
We could not send out a phone-cast cuz we didn’t find the audio enclosure in the Woot RSS. We’re working on it!

2. Woot off: “Will I get 1,325,689 text messages on woot off days?”
No cuz that’s just too many! You will get one.

3. Timely alerts: “Why is the text message delayed by 4 mins everyday?”
We are working out the timing issues with woot to make sure their RSS is updated at the same time as the website. Hold tight on this!

4. Mail-in Checks: “I love you Prashanth, now where can I mail-in my check for at least $5500?”
Uhhh ummm… hold up!

Question for you guys – to make this better, we’d like to (a) expand the audio description of the product and (b) enable purchase by “pressing 1” on the phone. Thoughts?

I really enjoy working with the woot staff and am dedicating 1.27% of my day to make your life more wootabulous.

Donnie7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Donnie7
SaulB50 wrote:With my current plan I get 50 text messages per month ...I guess this is a good way to waste 31 of them.

except a woot-off will kill your plan :P

digidorm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages digidorm
prashanth wrote:Hello wooters,
Question for you guys – to make this better, we’d like to (a) expand the audio description of the product and (b) enable purchase by “pressing 1” on the phone. Thoughts?

I would think that (b) would be hugely popular. I personally am less enthusiastic about more audio... it's one of those deals where if I'm not already sitting at a computer to do quick research if needed, I'm most likely not going to care about the description. However there are definitely items that I'm already familiar with that, given the title and price, I might want to snatch up. I often work nights away from Internet.

Plus the phone number spells 415-whit-ever, and I like that.

I've been here longer than WootBot.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
prashanth wrote:Question for you guys – to make this better, we’d like to (a) expand the audio description of the product and (b) enable purchase by “pressing 1” on the phone. Thoughts?

I really enjoy working with the woot staff and am dedicating 1.27% of my day to make your life more wootabulous.

I'm sorry....anything less than 1.39% of your day is just entirely unacceptable. :-/ Please try to step it up a bit.

But....YAY!!!!!!!!!.....I finally get to listen to the podcasts more than once in a blue moon!!!! THANK YOU....THANK YOU....THANK YOU! (Yes, I'm one of the last 17 pathetic people on the planet who still has dial-up because I live out in the middle of freakin' nowhere....) I just tried it out, and didn't have to wait 20 minutes before listening. :D

I vote in favor of the 'making a purchase by pressing 1' thingy if anyone's counting. No hanging chad here.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

Natesemipro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Natesemipro

What about sending/replying with text and purchasing it that way? saves a long phone call... Unless you have it made simple?

Woots are good! Except when the shipping takes FOREVER!

edrex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edrex

If you go into a purchase by phone setup, how secure would our credit card numbers be? It sounds like an interesting setup.

Also, how are the SMS sent out? I have verizon where I get unlimited texts from other verizon phones. Do you guys have a system where it is sent through different carriers so that it would cut the costs down for your users that recieve the messages?

Thanks,
ed.

Kebsis

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kebsis

Whats up Say Now guy,

On Sunday night (or maybe Saturday night?) the phone message I recieved said 'We don't have a podcast for you but as always there is some crap up on woot.com'. Is this just a placeholder until a weekend product update can be made specifically for the SayNow service?

prashanth

edrex wrote:If you go into a purchase by phone setup, how secure would our credit card numbers be? It sounds like an interesting setup.

Also, how are the SMS sent out? I have verizon where I get unlimited texts from other verizon phones. Do you guys have a system where it is sent through different carriers so that it would cut the costs down for your users that recieve the messages?

Thanks,
ed.

To answer you first question about credit card security, we have not flushed out the details yet but it would probably be some sort of double confirmation which would ensure your identity. I envision SayNow being the referral service and Woot continuing to maintain the CC info, furnishing the order etc.

SayNow has its own SMS shortcode that we use to send out the text alerts which is authorized by all carriers, but we remain carrier independent. I like your idea but not sure how we can pull that off with an enterprise account.

prashanth

Natesemipro wrote:Question for you guys – to make this better, we’d like to (a) expand the audio description of the product and (b) enable purchase by “pressing 1” on the phone. Thoughts?

What about sending/replying with text and purchasing it that way? saves a long phone call... Unless you have it made simple?

Great idea! Something like a "text-to-purchase" could definetely be enabled. Thanks for the suggestion. But yeh optionally you would call in and listen to simple description and press "1" on your phone which would acheive the same thing. Stay tuned!

prashanth

Kebsis wrote:Whats up Say Now guy,

On Sunday night (or maybe Saturday night?) the phone message I recieved said 'We don't have a podcast for you but as always there is some crap up on woot.com'. Is this just a placeholder until a weekend product update can be made specifically for the SayNow service?

Exactly. We are working with Woot to branch off and create a separate feed for the phonecasts. When that happens we can drop the placeholder.

Kebsis

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kebsis
prashanth wrote:

Exactly. We are working with Woot to branch off and create a separate feed for the phonecasts. When that happens we can drop the placeholder.

Cool, thanks.

indevous88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indevous88

maybe im thinking out of proportion, but maybe you could also have a recording every friday that says the topic of the photochop contest if the caller presses a number and on monday that same number will have a recording of the usernames of the winners.

just a suggestion

smileyborg2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smileyborg2000
indevous88 wrote:maybe im thinking out of proportion, but maybe you could also have a recording every friday that says the topic of the photochop contest if the caller presses a number and on monday that same number will have a recording of the usernames of the winners.

just a suggestion

I like this idea.

Also, maybe somehow include wine.woot...not that I'm interested, but I figure that wine.woot is almost as important as regular woot.

And about "pressing 1" to purchase Woots:
PayPal just recently integrated a system where you can text PayPal to send money/buy something, then they call you back on your phone (automated, I think) to confirm the purchase and you punch in a special PIN number. I think this would be a good system, maybe SayNow could use PayPal's system, since Woot accepts PayPal....