Monday, March 13

Music Monday: Round One Heartbreaks

by Scott Lydon


Happy Music Monday! For those who don't know, each year we do a special March Bracket Event on our site. This year Scott's been forced honored with the keys to the event. We call it... MUSIC MADNESS!!

The rules are simple. We've created four brackets ('70s, '80s, '90s and '00s) and picked sixteen one-hit wonders for each one. Each Wednesday and Friday in March, you'll be able to vote via our Facebook page to help determine the winners! Check back here on Wednesday for the next round!

Today, though, Scott's recapping the poor unfortunate songs that should have gone further, but didn't. Take a moment to show them some respect, okay?

70s Bracket: The Floaters - Float On

 

This song has a lovely groove, a beautiful message, and an offer to share your love with Larry. How could it have lost to the woman who plays Mama on Mama's Family? HOW I ASK YOU??

Voting on Round Two continues later this week. Be ready for it!

read more…

 

Monday, March 06

Music Monday: Music Madness Drama Recap

by Scott Lydon


Happy Music Monday! For those who don't know, each year we do a special March Bracket Event on our site. This year Scott's been forced honored with the keys to the event. We call it... MUSIC MADNESS!!

The rules are simple. We've created four brackets ('70s, '80s, '90s and '00s) and picked sixteen one-hit wonders for each one. Each Wednesday and Friday in March, you'll be able to vote via our Facebook page to help determine the winners! Additionally, you might want to check out the master list so or maybe take a look at other people's brackets. One of them might just win a trophy!

Today, though, Scott's gonna devote Music Monday to four upcoming battles that are connected to some in-house drama. That's right. We're gonna take you behind the scenes.

90s Bracket: Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's vs Chumbawumba - Tubthumping

 

This battle has a serious side: Scott didn't originally want Chumbawumba in this bracket. Scott's boss forced h im to include it. You don't want Scott's boss to win this one, do you? Remember: a vote for Deep Blue Something is a vote for freedom and justice.

It's not a Madness without some drama! Four more serious battles previewed after the jump.

read more…

 

Friday, March 03

 

Wednesday, March 01

Flash Deals Are BACK! Hurrah! Hurrah!

by Scott Lydon

Remember all those magical weeks ago, back in 2016, when you first saw this post? Oh, we were so innocent then! We laughed, we cried, we marvels at the glory that was Woot Flash Deals. Ah, youth. SO GUESS WHAT, BABY! FLASH DEALS ARE BACK! AND THIS TIME THERE'S NO STOPPING THEM!

 

 Take a good hard look around the site and you might see a page like this is visible. That's the Woot Flash Deals, back again for another go-round. To put it plain and simple, the deals are stuff our digital marching ants are borrowing from Amazon Overstock and marking down about 30% to 40%. That's right. You've got a chance to get all kinds of things for 30% to 40% cheaper than usual.

But here's the catch: you've gotta be QUICK ABOUT IT as each Woot Flash Deal has a limited supply. When it's gone, it's gone, and that's that. So do your part. Make us proud. Save some cash. Buy with reckless abandon. Embetter yourself. Embetter your world. FLASH WILL SAVE EVERY ONE OF US.

read more…

 

Monday, February 27

Music Monday: Music Madness Is Here

by Scott Lydon


Happy Music Monday! For those who don't know, each year we do a special March Bracket Event on our site. This year Scott's been forced honored with the keys to the event. We call it MUSIC MADNESS and it's a challenge to find the best one-hit wonder!

The rules are simple: it works just like that other bracket-based madness that happens in March. We've chosen four notable eras of music ('70s, '80s, '90s and '00s) and picked sixteen one-hit wonders for each era. Each Wednesday and Friday in March, you'll be able to vote via our Facebook page to help determine the winners! Today Scott's showing off a little preview, but there are 64 differerent songs facing off! Wanna see 'em all? The song/artist combo didn't fit onto one page so we made a bracket full of initials for you to use. You can find out what they stand for on the master list right here. Use all that information to make your own advance brackets for all 64. You might just win a trophy!

Seriously. We're gonna give away real trophies in three categories: "Most Right Answers" and "Least Right Answers" and a "Prettiest Hand-Made Bracket" as well. Get started on your brackets RIGHT NOW and put 'em in the comments of this post before the end of the week. We'll name our three trophy winners at the start of April when we reveal the one-hit wonder winner!

Today, though, Scott's gonna get things revved up by previewing four great matchups to come (and one that could have been). Let's get ready to MAAAAAAAARCH

70s Bracket: King Harvest - Dancing In The Moonlight vs Pilot - Magic

 

In the '70s bracket, it's pretty much a race between what WAS on a Guardians Of The Galaxy soundtrack and what WILL BE on a Guardians Of The Galaxy soundtrack. Both these catchy songs are solid contenders for Vol. 2! But only one of them will move on in our Music Madness event. Which will you be voting for? You'll get your chance real soon!

Remember: the voting starts on Wednesday, March 1st. Today's just a little preview of the whole event. But what an event, eh? More future matchups to come, after the jump!

read more…

 

Monday, February 20

Music Monday: Rock Weirdos

by Scott Lydon


Happy Music Monday! It's gonna get weird today as Scott takes a look at all the weirdos of music. Join in, if you're strange enough!

Screaming Lord Sutch - Live

 

Screaming Lord Sutch had a great sense of theater. You can see it in this video, where he comes out in a coffin, fakes getting shot, and then kills his attacker before singing his hit. Today that's commonplace but back then, who expected a short play at a rock concert? Only the weirdos, really.

It'll only get weirder, people. It'll only get weirder.

read more…

 

Monday, February 13

Music Monday: We Are The Mods

by Scott Lydon


Happy Music Monday! The Mod life is about looking good and going fast. Scott's not so good at either, but he does like their music! Celebrate the Mod Revival with him today!

The Jam - That's Entertainment

 

The first mods, of course, were bands like The Who and The High Numbers and the like. They dressed well, listened to post-war records from abroad, took a lot of speed, and were super cool. It's little wonder this concept keeps coming back every so often. Paul Weller was sort of the focal point of the Mod revival in the '70s and '80s, and with good reason. His songs are just so good!

Shine your shoes and come on in.

read more…

 

Monday, February 06

Music Monday: Rebellion

by Scott Lydon


Happy Music Monday! Today Scott's paying tribute to the rebellious music of youth. If he misses your own personal rebellion song, don't worry. You can add your own at the end!

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

 

This counter-culture classic isn't even subtle about it's drug connection. It starts with the word "one pill." And yet, what was once terrifying is now safe and familiar, because the counter-culture became the culture after growing up. Such is the magic of the rebellion! It goes from the underground to the classic rock stations.

We get more rebellious as we go. DARE YOU KEEP UP???

read more…

 

Monday, January 30