Hide your documents, hide your files
Ladies and gentleman, I, John Chumby, have successfully quarantined the internet.
Too long has the lewd swine known as the World Wide Web been allowed to mingle with innocent files and programs of our computers. Too long have the vile websites been free to corrupt the poor, unsuspecting contact information stored on our smart phones or the young and chaste photos of our tablets. For years now, I have searched for a method of confinement, so that the internet may be allowed to wallow in its filthiness without damaging the fragile ecosystem known as “off-line.”
Well, today, I am proud to announce that I have succeeded. Behold, the chumby 8, or as I like to call it, the Internet Snare. With its streamlined, intuitive navigation, 1500+ free apps, and browser support, the chumby 8 effectively traps the Internet on its 8” LCD touchscreen. Podcasts, celebrity gossip, internet radio, social media sites: they have only each other (and the few photos or videos you deem brave enough to enter the fray) to pick on now.
Of course, this isn’t to imply that all I seek is separation between online and offline content. You see, in such a tight space, it won’t be long until the internet grows claustrophobic and irritable. This will likely lead to a great war between websites, which will only come to an end when the entirety of the online world has been destroyed. Then, and only then, will I consider my work finished.Authorized for SquareTrade Extended Warranty
Warranty: 1 Year chumby
So, what’s a chumby anyway?
A chumby takes your favorite parts of the internet and delivers them to you in a friendly, always-on, always-fresh format. It’s a window into your internet life that lives outside your desktop, so content like weather, news, celebrity gossip, podcasts, music, and more has a place to play away from your world of documents and spreadsheets. Just plug in your chumby, connect to your wireless network, and create a lineup of favorites from over 1,500 apps in more than 30 categories, with new ones arriving all the time. Then let your chumby do its thing — streaming everything you like, from sports scores to stock quotes, from video clips to interactive games, from photos to trivia.
- Streamlined, intuitive navigation
- 1500+ free apps
- Customize your content from your device; no need for a computer
- Browser support, allowing you to click links in apps like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and others
- Ready-to-play themed app channels
- Mix and match your photos, videos and apps
- Upload photos and videos to favorite photo sharing sites via SD, SDHC, MMC, CF, MS or USB
- New task scheduler feature
- Thousands of Internet radio stations including Pandora, SHOUTcast, Napster, iheartradio
- Podcasts from New York Times, CBS, Mediafly and more
- New content pushed directly to your device
- Share apps, photos and videos more easily with updates to Friend features
- Custom alarms
- Easy set-up
Where does a chumby belong?
- By your bed: Fall asleep to a favorite internet music station; wake up to a zen gong, a news podcast, or Pandora Radio.
- In the kitchen: Consult your Google Calendar in the morning, check the weather, and cook to streaming internet music.
- On your desk: Watch your photos stream by, follow your friends on Facebook or Twitter, or get alerted to that craigslist find you’ve been waiting for.
- 8” 800x600 resistive touchscreen LCD
- 800MHz Marvell ARMADA 166 processor
- 128MB DDR2 SDRAM
- Built-in stereo speakers
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- Microphone input
- Dimmable backlight
- 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
- +5V, 2.5A input
- One-click control panel access
- Access to free content
- Over-the-air software updates
- RTC with battery backup
- Service authentication via cryptoprocessor
- CE and FCC certified
- Dimensions: 8.7”(W) x 6.75”(H) x 5.5”(D)
Media Types Supported:
- Audio: MP3, AAC, WMA
- Images: JPEG, PNG, TIFF
- Video: H.264, MOV, AVI, MJPEG, MPEG-4, MP4, Flash
What you must provide to make the chumby work
- Broadband internet connection. The internet connection needs to be high speed, such as cable or DSL. chumby will not work with a dial-up connection.
- Wireless router or wired Ethernet connection. Wireless: chumby is compatible with most wireless routers with the settings of 802.11g/802.11b (or mixed). Most routers currently sold offer these settings. Routers that mention 802.11n may work with the chumby as long as they properly support 802.11g or 802.11b. Wired Ethernet: chumby works with most USB Ethernet adapters.
In the box:
- chumby 8 CHB805 Internet Radio App Player (Choose: Red or Black)
- AC Adapter
- Quick Start Guide