Radio Cheap America
When the strapping farmboy guerrillas in the Wolverines turned on their radio and heard that John had a long mustache, they damn sure weren’t listening to NPR.
That was shortwave radio, buddy. Cheap, battery-powered, and worldwide. For decades, it’s been used for transmissions by hobbyists, spies, evangelists, and legitimate news networks like the BBC World Service and Voice of America. And it helped save our star-spangled butts in Red Dawn.
Oh, sure, people say that movie was fiction. They say the Russians are too broke and incompetent to invade the U.S., and they aren’t even Commies anymore. I say I’ll believe that when I can order a Big Mac in Red Square.
Even if you’re not as vigilant about the Soviet Menace, you can still pick up valuable intelligence on this Grundig G4 Portable Shortwave Radio. For one thing, your local emergency services probably use shortwave to sound the alarm when a tornado, hurricane, forest fire, or Russkie paratrooper’s been spotted. Further afield, there’s stuff in every language and from every country you can imagine, from Mozambique to Albania. You just gotta know when and where it’s on and how to find it, since weather and whatnot has an effect on reception. It also tunes in regular AM/FM radio. You can listen to MP3s via the SD/MMC/MiniUSB port. And if you’ve always wanted to wake up to the sweet sounds of Voice of Iran, the Grundig G4 even includes an alarm.
But the important thing is, when Uncle Boris rolls his tanks down Main Street and cuts your town’s electricity, you can just slap in some batteries to keep you receiving coded resistance messages for a little while, at least. What, you think it can’t happen? So did the Wolverines.
Warranty: 1 Year Eton
Authorized for SquareTrade Extended Warranty
- Portable AM/FM/Shortwave receiver with built in MP3 player, 1GB flash memory, SD card slot and USB port
- Can be powered using the included AC adapter, three "AA" (alkaline, lithium, or Ni-MH)batteries (batteries not included), or by connecting the included USB cable to a powered USB on a computer. Ni-MH batteries can be charged in the G4 using the AC adapter or USB.
- AM/FM/Shortwave (3000-29999 KHz) Digital display world-band radio
- Digital tuning methods including Auto-Scan, Manual-Scan, Direct Key-in and Manual Tuning
- The Shortwave receiver enables you to listen to broadcasts on Shortwave band from 3 MHz to 30 MHz.
- AM and FM tuners are set up for use in North America. For use elsewhere in the world the AM frequency spacing can be changed from 10 kHz to 9 kHz.
- FM frequency range is 87.50 MHz to 108.00 MHz.
- 1000 memory presets arranged in 100 pages of 10 presets each. Each preset can be programmed as any frequency the radio will receive, meaning one page of presets might contain FM, AM, and Shortwave band stations. In each band you can adjust the frequency using the +/- buttons, or directly enter the frequency using the numeric buttons.
- FM Station Tuning Storage (ATS) provides automatic acquisition of the strongest stations in your area
- 3 built-in timers to control on/off switch of the radio, radio recorder and MP3 player
- The sleep timer will turn the radio off after a specified length of time; 1-99 minutes.
- Recorder for direct radio or external recording through microphone
- Supports MP3/WMA decoder/MPEG 1/2/2.5
- The G4 will play MP3 or WMA files stored on an SD or MMC memory card (up to 2GB), or stored in the internal 1GB flash memory.
- You can also transfer MP3 or WMA files from your computer to the card or flash memory via the USB cable, and record from the radio or an external analog source using the line input.
- A built-in microphone allows you to record your own voice.
- Supports SD/MMC card/Mini USB port
- Built-in 1GB flash, USB 2.0 high speed transmission
- MP3 player has 3 playback cycle modes
- The G4 has an equalizer with seven presets (Natural, Rock, Pop, Classic, Soft, DBB, and Jazz) as well as SRS Labs' SRS 3D, TruBass, and FOCUS. These options are available only when playing MP3 or WMA files.
- AM antenna is built into the radio. The 28" telescoping antenna covers the FM and Shortwave bands. An input on the left side allows the addition of a 50Ω or 70Ω external antenna.
- The G4's alarm is programmed for specific time, volume, and playtime. You can choose for the alarm to play a specific radio frequency, play an MP3 from an SD/MMC card or flash memory, or tune to a specific frequency and record (to SD/MMC or flash memory).
- The clock uses a 12 or 24 hour format and holds the time of day and date.
- Battery level indicator
- Charging function to the rechargeable Ni-MH batteries (batteries not included)
- Full-featured world time zone: clock, sleep time
- Stand folds out from the rear of the G4 for tabletop use
- Dimensions: 5.625” x 3.5” x 1.14” and 14.3×8.9×2.9 cm (W x H x D)
- Weight: 9.6 oz. and 272 g
- USB (mini version 2.0): port for use with AC adapter or USB cable
- Ear: 3.5mm stereo headphone output
- Line Input:3.5mm stereo input; record or play an external source
- Memory Card Slot: compatible with SD and MMC
- Antenna: 3.5mm input for an optional external antenna
In the box:
- Grundig G4 Radio
- Owner’s Manual
- Warranty Card
- AC adaptor
- Protective Pouch