A Golden Record?
Seriously, NASA, if Earthlings barely listen to LPs anymore, what makes you think Extraterrestrials will?
Don’t get me wrong. It was a genius idea to include a golden record with images and sounds from our fair blue planet encoded in it when you sent Voyager off into space, but times have changed. Unless you expect us to be visited by an armada of interstellar DJs looking to search through our crates of wax for Terran beats, it might be time to update our technological image.
So here’s a thought, why not buy a bunch of Sandisk Sansa Fuze 4GB Media Players, fill them with Earth-type media, and shoot the things off into the inky black unknown. With 4GB of storage space, you’ll be able to store a lot more than 115 images and a few hours of audio. You could even throw on some video that the aliens could watch on the Fuze’s 1.9” color screen. Heck, stick a microSDHC card in the thing, and our eventual overlords would be able to enjoy even more madcap of our madcap songs, photos, and movies. Maybe they would even send us a message back via the built-in voice recorder. If they have voices, of course. Telepathy would be kind of hard to record. Even the colors could be helpful, with Black representing our love of the darkness of space, or Blue to represent the oceans we have here on our planet.
Come on, NASA. You know I’m right. I mean, what would WE think about an alien civilization that sent us all their contact information on 8-track or Betamax. You don’t want us to be the laughing stock of the galaxy, do you?
Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty
- Portable media machine with 4GB of storage (expandable via micro SDHC cards)
- Listen, watch and play all day with 24 hours of battery life
- Watch video clips on the Sansa Fuze’s 1.9” color screen
- FM radio with 40 preset stations
- Built-in voice recorder
- Share your photos wherever you go
- 0.3” thin device easily fits in your pocket
- micro SDHC slot for additional content expansion
- Music subscription ready
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 3.1×1.9×0.3 in.
- Windows® XP, Vista, or 7
- Linux and Mac OS (under MSC mode)
- Windows Media Player® 10 or 11
- USB 2.0 high power port required for Hi-Speed transfer and charging
In the box:
- Sansa Fuze 4GB Media Player
- Earbud Headphones
- USB Cable