sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
JohnnyLemonhead wrote:Please look up the word "infatuated" in a dictionary before using it publicly. I guess you are the one my dog will be biting then?

Er, I have to agree with amyrgag on this one. Your original post was so ridiculous that I have to assume it was a joke. It's something you'd see in a cartoon or 3 Stooges movie. Even if you were to assume that human and canine physiology are the same, when was the last time you saw a blood pressure monitor tied around a human chest?

What really prompted me to respond though was your insulting reply to amyrgag. I don't care so much about the insult as I do about your misunderstanding of Woot. Amyrgag did not write "infatuated." S/he wrote "r e t a r d e d" (without the spaces). Woot then changed it to "infatuated" as a joke. Their database automatically does this to many words, the most famous being "c r a p," which it changes to "carp." Don't you wonder why so many people use "carp" in their posts? It's just one of the many wacky things about the Woot experience.

You should have noticed this before you posted your reply. Why? Well, when you replied, a quote of the original text is shown on top. You can plainly see that it was originally "r e t a r d e d." Don't believe me? Go to the original message by amyrgag on Page 2. Then reply to it and look at the quoted unmodified text. It says, "r e t a r d e d." You can now Cancel unless you actually want to reply.

In other words, amyrgag said that your plan was a "r e t a r d e d idea," not an "infatuated idea." And indeed, it was ridiculous enough to be given such a label.

ShadowSquared

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ShadowSquared
sdc100 wrote:Er, I have to agree with amyrgag on this one. Your original post was so ridiculous that I have to assume it was a joke. It's something you'd see in a cartoon or 3 Stooges movie. Even if you were to assume that human and canine physiology are the same, when was the last time you saw a blood pressure monitor tied around a human chest?

What really prompted me to respond though was your insulting reply to amyrgag. I don't care so much about the insult as I do about your misunderstanding of Woot. Amyrgag did not write "infatuated." S/he wrote "r e t a r d e d" (without the spaces). Woot then changed it to "infatuated" as a joke. Their database automatically does this to many words, the most famous being "c r a p," which it changes to "carp." Don't you wonder why so many people use "carp" in their posts? It's just one of the many wacky things about the Woot experience.

You should have noticed this before you posted your reply. Why? Well, when you replied, a quote of the original text is shown on top. You can plainly see that it was originally "r e t a r d e d." Don't believe me? Go to the original message by amyrgag on Page 2. Then reply to it and look at the quoted unmodified text. It says, "r e t a r d e d." You can now Cancel unless you actually want to reply.

In other words, amyrgag said that your plan was a "r e t a r d e d idea," not an "infatuated idea." And indeed, it was ridiculous enough to be given such a label.

touche

function numberofWOOTs_Callback(hObject, eventdata, handles)

number_of_WOOTs = str2double(get(hObject,'string'));

dundiditi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dundiditi

good deal w00t!

ReadySetSave.net - shopping online has never been easier.

LANShark125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LANShark125
norm401 wrote:Screw you!

Ok I'm sorry, I just had to say it.

That's ok Norm. I know it was just the BP talking...

brian2000boston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian2000boston

BACON SALT - I need some, come on woot!

Dazzle DVD Recorder x 1
Uniden DECT 6.0 Dual Handset Cordless Phone x 1, Leakfrog x 3
Orion Stainless Steel Convection Outdoor Cooker x 1
Random Crap x 3
DozyDotes Contemporary Child Rocker Recliner x 1
Pentax Optio E60 10MP Digital Camera x 1

LANShark125

rgazzara wrote:This is my first Woot. Do we get a tracking number when the item is shipped? Thanks.

Patience, Grasshopper. It will be days until that happens. $martPo$t is an EVIIIL thing...

oakmolder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oakmolder

Awesome, My daughter needs one of these for her science fair project, then I can use it to interrogate the young boys who come over wanting to hang out!!!! Like my own lie detector test, I'll add it to my "Application to date my daughter" and we'll have our own "MEET THE FOCKERS" episode.

Thank WOOT!!!

oakmolder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oakmolder

Awesome, My daughter needs one of these for her science fair project, then I can use it to interrogate the young boys who come over wanting to hang out!!!! Like my own little lie detector test, I'll add it to my "Application to date my daughter" and we'll have our own "MEET THE FOCKERS" episode. Time to clean my shotgun!

Thanks WOOT!!!

dmalea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmalea

Kind of excited to get my hands on this item.
I am an OEC (Outdoor Emergency Care) technician.

( Ski Patroller)

Useful when we are waiting for an ambulance and we are concerned with
patient stability.

JoxerMighty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoxerMighty

Walmart sells an extra large cuff accessory for under $10 that works with generic blood pressure monitors, you just plug the plastic/rubber tube in. Might work with this model too if you need a larger cuff.

This unit is a great deal, the price is 1/2 that of amazon and walmart.
I have the walmart auto bp model I got some months back for about $40 (rated best buy recently in Consumer Reports Magazine) but it doesn't have a USB port to get readings to your PC for easy logging and tracking. I've been trying to log an average of 3 readings per day, but doing it by hand is extra work. So I ordered one of these units from woot! at the great price so in the future I can just upload the data to my PC with the USB port and use the free downloadable software - I already downloaded it and the instruction manuals from the link provided here.

In the past several months that I've been monitoring blood pressure daily after I discovered mine had jumped up to the 170/100 range, I changed my diet to low-salt and increased exercise, plus lots of fruits/nuts/supplements and slower paced breathing with the Resperate device and its been mostly around 127/70 daily the past month! I'm happy I could get it down without resorting to prescription blood pressure medicine, because its tough to get off of it I've heard. Rather do it without paying "big pharma"

godskid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godskid

Re: use for dog, on tummy.

I wouldn't do it around the tummy --- too much pressure on internal organs. The vet takes BP measurements on a leg or on the tail. THAT, it might work for. If it would go skinny enough.

brian2000boston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian2000boston
godskid wrote:Re: use for dog, on tummy.

I wouldn't do it around the tummy --- too much pressure on internal organs. The vet takes BP measurements on a leg or on the tail. THAT, it might work for. If it would go skinny enough.

I truly hope this was a prank, otherwise this person needs psychological help, and someone needs to take the dog from them.

Dazzle DVD Recorder x 1
Uniden DECT 6.0 Dual Handset Cordless Phone x 1, Leakfrog x 3
Orion Stainless Steel Convection Outdoor Cooker x 1
Random Crap x 3
DozyDotes Contemporary Child Rocker Recliner x 1
Pentax Optio E60 10MP Digital Camera x 1

sdc100

dmalea wrote:Kind of excited to get my hands on this item.
I am an OEC (Outdoor Emergency Care) technician.

( Ski Patroller)

Useful when we are waiting for an ambulance and we are concerned with
patient stability.

Since you work outdoors, you might want to think carefully about the display. This appears to be a backlit reverse LCD display which may not be very legible in sunlight. Then again, it may be very clear since LCD generally relies on reflected light. You might consider a cheaper standard LCD model since all the bells and whistle of this model seems like overkill for your purposes. For example, the USB port would probably just collect dust.

sdc100

godskid wrote:Re: use for dog, on tummy.

Even if the unit can be used on a dog's leg, I wouldn't count on the electronics being all that accurate since they were calibrated for humans. For example, does a dog's systolic and diastolic fit within human ranges?

sdc100

JoxerMighty wrote:Walmart sells an extra large cuff accessory for under $10 that works with generic blood pressure monitors, you just plug the plastic/rubber tube in. Might work with this model too if you need a larger cuff.

This unit is a great deal, the price is 1/2 that of amazon and walmart.
I have the walmart auto bp model I got some months back for about $40 (rated best buy recently in Consumer Reports Magazine) but it doesn't have a USB port to get readings to your PC for easy logging and tracking. I've been trying to log an average of 3 readings per day, but doing it by hand is extra work. So I ordered one of these units from woot! at the great price so in the future I can just upload the data to my PC with the USB port and use the free downloadable software - I already downloaded it and the instruction manuals from the link provided here.

I've successfully switched cuffs between different machines from different companies. As long as the connection is airtight, you should be fine.

As for your needs, you might consider this Microlife mode, which I am comparing against the Prevention model on this Woot. I have 7 more hours to decide (unless Woot sells out!). It beats the Woot model in that it uses the new method of taking 3 measurements after 15 secs between each. Apparently, one study shows that 15 secs is enough. It also has a USB port and allows you to interface with Microsoft's health service.

Download the brochure to see more info.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11263946&

sdc100

Does anyone have experience with the Microlife model below? I was about to get the Woot but a friend told me to consider the Microlife. It's pretty impressive at $38. Both have the ability to connect to your PC, but the Microlife seems to have additional advantages:

1) It uses the new method of taking 3 successive measurements and then provide you an average. That's what the American Medical Association recommends. And unlike other models that do the same, it only makes you wait 15 secs between each measurement. One study shows that 15 secs is enough time. Other models make you wait 1 min. The Woot Prevention model uses the old method of just taking one measurement.

2) In addition to PC connectivity, it's also certified to connect to Microsoft's Healthvaullt. It's a [free?] online database that stores your medical data for loved ones and careproviders to review. I'm iffy about this but it's an interesting concept. Google it to find out more.

3) Both models have irregular heartbeat detection but the Microlife has patent on their method. It also has a patent on the 3-measurement feature. Does that necessarily mean that it's better? No, but it's something to consider.

4) Unlike this Prevention model, there are reviews of the Microlife on Amazon.

5) Costco's page indicate that the Microlife comes with both medium and large cuffs. I'm skeptical because Microlife's own site states that the larger cuff must be brought separately.

On the negative side, I don't know if the software is a separate purchase. There appears to be several similar models with some including software. I don't know if the Costco offering has the CD. I've emailed them.

A brochure can be downloaded.

rarude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rarude
Matingas wrote:not even the oldest woot shoppers are over 30... are they??

who will buy this?!?? maybe for my grandpa!! ohh wait.. i never met either

WRONG!! 47

sdc100

amyrgag wrote:Good advice on the replacement cuff, but you should not take readings after sitting for 15 mins. The correct guidelines taught in medical school are as follows:
1. No smoking or drinking caffeinated beverages for 30 mins prior.
2. Sit for 5 mins with arm at heart level.
3. Do not take BP over clothing.
4. Do not take BP on the same arm as dialysis fistulas.
5. Take BP while supporting patient's arm at heart level.
6. Repeat on opposite arm (almost no one does this unless the first reading is abnormal, but it is good to check every so often).

Those who want to take multiple successive measures as the AMA recommends may need to wait only 15 secs between measurements. I was taught to wait 5-10 mins but Yarrows et al found that waiting as little as 15 seconds is enough if there was an initial resting period of 5 mins. In fact, some of the newer models automatically take 3 measurements after waiting 15 secs (Microlife). Others, like the Omron, still wait 1 min. Standard models, like this Prevention model, still only make one measurement. The actual study is published below. Those less medically-inclined can just read the CONCLUSIONS and the INTRODUCTION.

http://www.microlifeusa.com/pdfs/bp/is_mam_accurate.pdf

jcn405

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcn405
OrangeBug wrote:The ad suggests it only reads diastolic pressures up to 140. This is the upper range of normal. If it can't accurately measure hypertensive diastolic pressure, this is a useless paper weight.

WOOT> isn't this a typo?

With blood pressure, the upper number is the systolic. Normal is around 80. So for a BP of 120/80, 120 is the systolic and 80 is the diastolic. If your diastolic is near 140, you should check into the hospital. Maybe WOOT will do medical insurance next.

Espinos13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Espinos13

does this work with my iPod?

The user's going to pick dancing pigs over security every time.

heykelley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heykelley

I'm in for one. My brother's 30th birthday is next month...

Espinos13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Espinos13
JohnnyLemonhead wrote:Will this work on my dog? Hear me out here: I have a small terrier, whose midsection is no larger than the typical adult male's arm. Assuming I can find numbers online for the desired blood pressure for the little guy, will this product work? It is still being wrapped around flesh, blood veins, etc. Should be a similar type deal, right?

you sir are dangerous and sadistic... that said... you are also a moron please send me your dog. its the best for everyone

The user's going to pick dancing pigs over security every time.

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
JohnnyLemonhead wrote:careful. we call this post "mod-bating" 'round here.

Ok, Mr. I've Been a wooter for 1 month and don't a clue guy (as also documented by sdc100).

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

tamaya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamaya

In for one. I think I'll record my blood pressure during the last 15 seconds of my eBay bids.

Heh, but really...I'll get one for my mom. It's a pain to manaully pump the cuff with the one I have now.

Oh, and I forgot to comment on yesterday's deal. In for one of the Planar projectors for the ultimate theater experience. Maybe I should monitor my blood pressure when I tell my gf it's in addition to the 67" DLP I bought for the living room. Oh, and the 42" LCD for the bedroom.

TazoWolf

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TazoWolf
JohnnyLemonhead wrote:Will this work on my dog? Hear me out here: I have a small terrier, whose midsection is no larger than the typical adult male's arm. Assuming I can find numbers online for the desired blood pressure for the little guy, will this product work? It is still being wrapped around flesh, blood veins, etc. Should be a similar type deal, right?

As a former vet tech, and a current med student, I can tell you that this will NOT work by wrapping it around the midsection of your dog. :D It would be like stuffing your dog in a corset, llo.

"I'll Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education" -Mark Twain

"We Must Be the Change We Wish To See In The World" -Gandhi

nicacolo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nicacolo

these digital devices give false readings...almost gave my mom a heart attack when she thought her pressure was way high according to the readings!!! don't buy guys! get an analog one lazy folks!

sdc100

nicacolo wrote:these digital devices give false readings...almost gave my mom a heart attack when she thought her pressure was way high according to the readings!!! don't buy guys! get an analog one lazy folks!

A stethoscope-based analog model won't be much better if you're not trained in hearing the Korotkoff sounds. Older patients sometimes have problems hearing the onset and prematurely hear silence. Movement can also cause problems as they make noise in the stethoscope. And unless you get a mercury-based model (which risks breakage), calibration is an issue.

For those who need to keep records and compute averages, an electronic model with memory is invaluable. Your mom should buy a reputable model and calibrate it against the one in her doctor's office. And I'd recommend a forearm model rather than a wrist or finger model. Finally, make sure the cuff fits comfortably. A cuff that is too small wil give falsely high readings.

nicacolo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nicacolo
sdc100 wrote:A stethoscope-based analog model won't be much better if you're not trained in hearing the Korotkoff sounds. Older patients sometimes have problems hearing the onset and prematurely hear silence. Movement can also cause problems as they make noise in the stethoscope. And unless you get a mercury-based model (which risks breakage), calibration is an issue.

For those who need to keep records and compute averages, an electronic model with memory is invaluable. Your mom should buy a reputable model and calibrate it against the one in her doctor's office. And I'd recommend a forearm model rather than a wrist or finger model. Finally, make sure the cuff fits comfortably. A cuff that is too small wil give falsely high readings.

thanks for the info!

RasOne

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RasOne

Very good deal, in for one!

debimbach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debimbach
RichnPlenty wrote:# Systolic Measuring Range: 50 to 250 mmHg
# Diastolic Measuring Range: 40 to 140 mmHg
# Pulse Rate Measuring Range: 40 to 160 bpm

You're mistaken,if you had a diastolic of 140 you would be in the ER with some nifedipine under your tongue! Diastolic is the low number which runs 60-80 normally.
This cuff has a good range.

Deborah S. Imbach

lookitsaustin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lookitsaustin
MiteyJoe wrote:Well said. Now can you say 'Would you like fries with that'? You have a bright future!

LANShark125

Did someone appoint sdc100 as the Reply-to-every-stupid-comment-of-the-day person?

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970

Not sure if any of you saw this, but it was kind of cool to read about Matt and to learn the scoop:

Woot in the news

otatpa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otatpa
sdc100 wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Microlife model below? I was about to get the Woot but a friend told me to consider the Microlife. It's pretty impressive at $38. Both have the ability to connect to your PC, but the Microlife seems to have additional advantages:

1) It uses the new method of taking 3 successive measurements and then provide you an average. That's what the American Medical Association recommends. And unlike other models that do the same, it only makes you wait 15 secs between each measurement. One study shows that 15 secs is enough time. Other models make you wait 1 min. The Woot Prevention model uses the old method of just taking one measurement.

2) In addition to PC connectivity, it's also certified to connect to Microsoft's Healthvaullt. It's a [free?] online database that stores your medical data for loved ones and careproviders to review. I'm iffy about this but it's an interesting concept. Google it to find out more.

3) Both models have irregular heartbeat detection but the Microlife has patent on their method. It also has a patent on the 3-measurement feature. Does that necessarily mean that it's better? No, but it's something to consider.

4) Unlike this Prevention model, there are reviews of the Microlife on Amazon.

5) Costco's page indicate that the Microlife comes with both medium and large cuffs. I'm skeptical because Microlife's own site states that the larger cuff must be brought separately.

On the negative side, I don't know if the software is a separate purchase. There appears to be several similar models with some including software. I don't know if the Costco offering has the CD. I've emailed them.

A brochure can be downloaded.

I've had the Microlife unit for two years now, got it from Costco. Very happy with the unit so far. It comes with BOTH the "medium" and "large" cuffs. I'm right at the small limit for the medium cuff, but get very accurate results. It does come with the CD, but you can always download the software from their website. The software's useful enough. I wish I could have it plot weight (rather than just have it as a text comment), but the fact that I can add notes to each reading has been helpful for myself & my doctors, as I can note anything that comes up health-wise that either concerns me or might give a clue as to why my BP/pulse might be lower than their already-low #'s.

Overall, very good unit. It's one of the few I've seen which can get an accurate reading off my screwed-up heart rhythm and it properly flags it as irregular 90%+ of the time, which is correct. I've tried multiple BP units over the years. The Omron's seem to get confused by my heart's rhythm and/or small arm and are practically useless. Some of the AnD Medical/Lifesource machines can get an accurate reading, some of them can't. The same is true for many wrist units for me.

I also use the multiple reading mode for everything, very good at getting a true reading. I always tense up when taking my BP so the first reading's usually high compared to the others -- the averaging takes care of that.

The only downside I can say is that I find that the cuff feels VERY tight on my arm when inflated, but the readings are spot-on. My Dr basically has told me to just "deal with it" in terms of the comfort factor. I have very thin arms and practically no fat/muscle on my arms either which probably accounts for it. For comparison, the drug store/supermarket blood pressure machines are unbearably painful and leave marks on my arm that last for 2-3 hrs afterwards, sometimes hurting for an hour or so afterwards. Same for most of the dr's office automated BP machines -- I won't let them use them on me. This one's only uncomfortable when it's inflated and usually doesn't leave a mark on my arm. I think most people probably don't have a problem with the drug store machines (at least not to the extent that I do) so this will be far more comfortable for them.

For all of the "under 30" comments. I'm under 30 and have had to take my BP 2x/day since I was ~14. Hypotension (low blood pressure) and bradycardia (slow pulse) are the problems here. I don't always do it, especially when I'm not feeling great and probably should be checking things closely...but the Microlife unit's PC logging certainly has made it a bit difficult for me to avoid it. Now my dr (and some of my friends who tend to check up on me) have a clear printout of how I'm doing and know when I'm avoiding it. Been over a few months since I last skipped a reading and I got hell for it back then.

briannanoob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages briannanoob
LANShark125 wrote:Did someone appoint sdc100 as the Reply-to-every-stupid-comment-of-the-day person?

What are you talking about? First off, I found ALL of sdc100's comments helpful and informative, which is more than I can say for yours. Secondly, what exactly is "every-stupid-comment-of-the-day"??? As far as I can tell, sdc100 only reply to one such comment -- that from JohnnyLemonhead. And even that reply was informative. I learned about Woot's word substitution.

So what exactly was "every stupid comment"? Are you insulting everyone sdc100 replied to by calling their comments stupid? Or are you criticizing sdc100 for replying to people? Regardless, is your life so empty that you need to criticize others and rely on exaggerations for self-affirmation? Sad.

Keep up the good work, sdc100!

gradstudentxoxo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gradstudentxoxo
LANShark125 wrote:Did someone appoint sdc100 as the Reply-to-every-stupid-comment-of-the-day person?

What stupid comments did sdc100 reply to, how many were there, and why does it bother you? I have no problems with sdc100's replies or the posts s/he was replying to. If you do, just skip over them. Or pretend that they were written by different people. Is that so hard?

lookitsaustin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lookitsaustin

I am 23 and I bought one of these. The price (which is half off the one that WalMart sells) is great! My family (moms side) has problems with irregular heart beats and I also worry about having high blood pressure! Congrats WOOT! for selling this!

To anyone who said something about only old people needing this. It is a good idea to keep on top of your health even when your young so that you can manage it alot easier when you do get old.

sdc100

otatpa wrote:I've had the Microlife unit for two years now, got it from Costco. Very happy with the unit so far. It comes with BOTH the "medium" and "large" cuffs. I'm right at the small limit for the medium cuff, but get very accurate results. It does come with the CD, but you can always download the software from their website.

MANY thanks for the very detailed and personal reply. You answered every question I had. Because of your info, I've decided to buy the Microlife model from Costco. At $38, it's half of what Amazon is charging (although tax and s/h will make it about $50). But I think I'll get this as well. Being a Medical Research Analyst (who has done work in cardiology), my instincts say to buy both and compare them. The rejected one is going on ebay! Thanks again and good luck managing the hypotension/bradycardia.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

It's been bouncing since at least 9:30 EST. Did anyone notice it bouncing before that, so I can estimate when it might sell out?

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
sdc100 wrote:MANY thanks for the very detailed and personal reply. You answered every question I had. Because of your info, I've decided to buy the Microlife model from Costco. At $38, it's half of what Amazon is charging (although tax and s/h will make it about $50). But I think I'll get this as well. Being a Medical Research Analyst (who has done work in cardiology), my instincts say to buy both and compare them. The rejected one is going on ebay! Thanks again and good luck managing the hypotension/bradycardia.

Yes, let me echo your thanks for that reply. I'm getting this one for sure, and might try the Costco unit also if I find any problems with this one. Maybe we can compare notes here!