darren204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darren204

Does this have a webcam?

Kingu

quality posts: 42 Private Messages Kingu
mvsopen wrote:I used one of these less than 5 minutes before I took it back. The screen is too small, and the entire device felt like a video-game toy - not at all "solid" or well put together. They may be great for surfing the web at StarDrunks, but that's about all. And if you have poor vision, that screen is *tiny*!

Having owned quite a number of laptops, and the remains of those laptops strewn into various eWaste recycling bins, I'd like to take issue with the idea of it not being solid. I've dropped my EeePC, the screen's been sat on, and my wife killed a keyboard by spilling her StarDrunks on it. Took less than a week for the replacement keyboard to arrive and it snapped in quite nicely.

Here's the downfall - the keyboard has a slightly odd layout that will take some getting used to. Most frustrating is the arrangement of the top row keys. But being that you can plug in a USB keyboard into the thing, that's not exactly a big issue.

4gb sounds tiny, and it is - but for Linux, it's plenty of room. But if you want more space, buy some SDHC cards (class 6, for the highest speed.) On one of ours, the SSD drive died, but the laptop was being used so much, we just pulled it out and installed the OS and run it off of a Patriot SDHC card. (It's actually slightly faster now..)

The 512mb of ram also sounds small, but again, it'll get you where you want to go. Don't think of using any ssd space for ram caching - it's far too slow for that, and this is where a lot of people start complaining about the responsiveness of the device.

Snappiest OS for it is FluxFlux, forum.eeeuser.com is one of the best resources, and my personal install is Eeebuntu base install, and I added the programs I needed to it.

I use Abiword for my writing, I have it hooked up to my networked 2400n HP color laser printer, and have a script that backs up the SSD overnight to a USB hard drive. I use a Microsoft wireless desktop, and a bluetooth dongle to tether to my T-Mobile TM506 for 3g internet. All of this for a computer that's smaller than a trade paperback book, with a solid two hours of use per charge.

I carry with me about nine hours of video recordings on SDHC cards (did I memtion buy class six cards?), some I transfered from my Tivo, others from my BeyondTV rig. I'll watch Solitary 1.0 on Hulu on the bus to work, using the mobile hotspot.

And if you somehow manage to destroy the beast? What of it? Most of the users here spend more for their video card than what Woot's selling a complete laptop computer for. It is truely a disposable computer - use Googledocs and it doesn't even matter if the thing dies on you, you didn't lose anything.

Buy three, give them to kids in the neighborhood, and ignore their curses about it not playing the PC games they want - just smile knowingly when they're still using them six months later while their desktops are idle due to viruses and spyware.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

I understand an SSD is a Ram Drive.

a solid state drive.

4 Gig's is doo doo though. I understand the operating system is really small and that it was chosen for this because of that.

I wonder if a regular lap top HD can be put in this though.
If I could toss a 20 gig in there or better I could load up a stripped version of XP pro on this little thang.

To the person that said it's not too hard to put XP on this - your a Crazy man, 4 gigs is not enought room for xp and anything else. LOL
4gigs - hmm. upload pics? My camera holds more than this could hold.

I guess it would be ok if you just wanted to use it to IM. I'm Guessing it can't play a DVD

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

vitswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vitswoot

these are horrible, I had one for a week with upgraded ram to 2gb. It maybe worth it for $100 but not 150.00. Even surfin the internet was slow.

can i buy something if i dont have the money? do u take checks?
Garmin StreetPilot c510 GPS, Versa Wrench 12” 31-in-1 Ratcheting Wrench, Altec Lansing M604 Powered Audio System for Zune, Jabra BT-350 Bluetooth Headset - 2-Pack ,Zune 30GB black (sold it on Ebay for $130 in july 08, bought it here for $99 last nov. 7 sansa mp3 players cheep christmas gifts, eee900a with upgraded ssd and ram, win7.

oggusfoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oggusfoo

Just a final note, if you want to have a computer to mess around with, maybe put it at risk by going to sites that may be harbingers of viri and other malfeasance, this computer is for you. As I understand it, there are so many distributions of linux it would be difficult for the h4xors to attack, also in other words, the market share is so small for linux it, or its users are so more technically advanced that it's not worth it for people to launch attacks that linux computers are vulnerable to.

Another smart thing I did, install Opera, don't install Java for Opera. Most guppy is in the form of java scripts. When you install Java you can select what browsers to integrate with, just don't integrate with one and use the other for your online banking.

Finally, I'm royally confused on what version I own. Bought one with slow 16 gig SSD and linux off amazon.

LastApeMan

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan
Kingu wrote:Having owned quite a number of laptops, and the remains of those laptops strewn into various eWaste recycling bins, I'd like to take issue with the idea of it not being solid. I've dropped my EeePC, the screen's been sat on, and my wife killed a keyboard by spilling her StarDrunks on it. Took less than a week for the replacement keyboard to arrive and it snapped in quite nicely.

Here's the downfall - the keyboard has a slightly odd layout that will take some getting used to. Most frustrating is the arrangement of the top row keys. But being that you can plug in a USB keyboard into the thing, that's not exactly a big issue.

4gb sounds tiny, and it is - but for Linux, it's plenty of room. But if you want more space, buy some SDHC cards (class 6, for the highest speed.) On one of ours, the SSD drive died, but the laptop was being used so much, we just pulled it out and installed the OS and run it off of a Patriot SDHC card. (It's actually slightly faster now..)

The 512mb of ram also sounds small, but again, it'll get you where you want to go. Don't think of using any ssd space for ram caching - it's far too slow for that, and this is where a lot of people start complaining about the responsiveness of the device.

Snappiest OS for it is FluxFlux, forum.eeeuser.com is one of the best resources, and my personal install is Eeebuntu base install, and I added the programs I needed to it.

I use Abiword for my writing, I have it hooked up to my networked 2400n HP color laser printer, and have a script that backs up the SSD overnight to a USB hard drive. I use a Microsoft wireless desktop, and a bluetooth dongle to tether to my T-Mobile TM506 for 3g internet. All of this for a computer that's smaller than a trade paperback book, with a solid two hours of use per charge.

I carry with me about nine hours of video recordings on SDHC cards (did I memtion buy class six cards?), some I transfered from my Tivo, others from my BeyondTV rig. I'll watch Solitary 1.0 on Hulu on the bus to work, using the mobile hotspot.

And if you somehow manage to destroy the beast? What of it? Most of the users here spend more for their video card than what Woot's selling a complete laptop computer for. It is truely a disposable computer - use Googledocs and it doesn't even matter if the thing dies on you, you didn't lose anything.

Buy three, give them to kids in the neighborhood, and ignore their curses about it not playing the PC games they want - just smile knowingly when they're still using them six months later while their desktops are idle due to viruses and spyware.

Thanks for this Legthy post - You just helped me make up my mind.

LOL This things too much trouble. I think I would be cursing it if it were given to me and if I paid for it I would either be making excuses for it like you are or kicking myself in the arse for blowing 150+ dollars when I could have taken the family camping.

Did I mention Fish? :O)

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

recursional

quality posts: 1 Private Messages recursional
mrtravel2 wrote:[quote postid="3146526" user="kerneltrap"]This doesn't have the Intel Atom CPU. quote]

No kidding. A Dell Mini 9 is $199 from Dell Outlet and it is easy to replace memory and SSD on those. Plus, there is a 15 percent off code through April 22.

Do you have a link? All I can find is $259.

Ignore This Line

schmeckelgruben

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schmeckelgruben

If I hadn't bought one of these from sellout last month, I would buy the 8GB/WinXP that's on sellout now, wipe the SSD, and install Ubuntu. I already have one Windows computer, so I don't need another.

But I did buy the 4GB 900 on sellout last month. I'm using it right now to surf at work, type this, check my email, and listen to some music. I've supplemented the 4GB SSD with an 8GB flash memory card, and I replaced the 512 MB DIMM with a 1GB DIMM to make multitasking a little smoother. I'm happy with my tiny black 900. It's a great alternate computer that goes everywhere I go. I really am thinking about that one on sellout, though.

118 Woots. 2 accounts. 263 items. $4.9K. Monkeys, cameras, watches, leak frogs, earbuds, knives, apricots, good pistachios, poison pistachios, 3 Eee PCs, too many woot-off lights, 2 HD TVs, 2 Shark Navigators, HD camcorder, 3 Candi USB Pole Dancers, many flashlights, dozens of SD/SDHC cards and USB flash drives, iPod Touch, 3 MP3 players. 3 cell phones, lots of other stuff, but not one frakking Bag Of Carp.

Kingu

LastApeMan wrote: I wonder if a regular lap top HD can be put in this though.
If I could toss a 20 gig in there or better I could load up a stripped version of XP pro on this little thang.

Not without reinventing the wheel - you can buy aftermarket SSD drvies (a 16gb SSD can be purchased for about $70. Read the reviews on various sites before purchasing one though.)

LastApeMan wrote: I guess it would be ok if you just wanted to use it to IM. I'm Guessing it can't play a DVD

And you would be wrong. Pick up an external USB powered DVD drive, and you can play DVDs on the go, burn disks, etc - surprisingly well, actually. Or more practically, just use Hulu on it and one of the zillion publicly available wifi spots.

smerky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smerky
meh3884 wrote:i can't help but find these things nothing but a useless fashion accessory. you look cool with a tiny laptop that is capable of hardly any of the functionality of a real computer.

These aren't meant to be a whole computer replacement. Get it right.

Also, they are actually quite very useful. All of my friends that have them(Who are Computer Science students) really love them.

I only wish that these had the atom processor.

goattuber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goattuber
GlassShard wrote:I love my EeePC and use it for pretty much everything when I'm not at my Windows desktop. I did replace the default Xandros distro with Ubuntu though (why waste money on Windows?) and it's fun for game emulation, word processing, chat, music, movies... with Wine the little sucker even runs my gamemaking software as well as I could ask for. If you need extra storage God knows thumbdrives and SD cards are cheap as dirt.

I personally wouldn't bother with Windows on an EeePC - seems to defeat the purpose. The OS on the EeePC is pretty dummy-proof, and Ubuntu is a breeze to install if you want to upgrade (Google eeebuntu for a customized version).

Just wish this deal had been around back when I first bought the thing.

I have eeebuntu on my 701. It runs pretty fast on there, and the 3d card is actually good. Make sure you have the "advanced zoom" enabled in Compiz, it helps.

The version of Linux that comes on these (Xandros) isn't that great. I think Asus gave a lot of people a really bad first impression of Linux.

Neal3355

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neal3355

Anyone know if this is a 3-cell or 6-cell battery? Sorry if it has already been asked.

ninjo61

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjo61

quick can some one convert the .99kg to lbs?

Tresjolie9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tresjolie9

Ah, need a nice little linux laptop!

smerky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smerky
LastApeMan wrote:I understand an SSD is a Ram Drive.

a solid state drive.

4 Gig's is doo doo though. I understand the operating system is really small and that it was chosen for this because of that.

To the person that said it's not too hard to put XP on this - your a Crazy man, 4 gigs is not enought room for xp and anything else. LOL

I guess it would be ok if you just wanted to use it to IM. I'm Guessing it can't play a DVD

Actually a bare install of XP SP2 is around 3.1 to 3.6 Gb.

So, 4Gb would actually be enough. You would have to have most apps/documents on another media source though.

beto0707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beto0707

The hard drive is too small for the default Xandros OS. When I ran the updates on my just opened 900; the updates filled the hard disk entirely. There was about 2MB of free space!

Easy Peasy went on just fine though! Something like 1GB of free space left without removing the apps I know I won't need. :-)

ninjo61

.99 kg = 2.2 lbs

never mind thanks google

goattuber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goattuber
ninjo61 wrote:quick can some one convert the .99kg to lbs?

.99 kilograms = 2.1825764 pounds

jhetrick62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhetrick62
Thumbo wrote:I have the EEE 901, which is the same but with an extra 16 gig of SSD. A wonderful machine for traveling light.

The supplied Linux distro (Xandros) is horrible, but Ubuntu is easy to install from USB and works great on it.

4 gig is very tight - the OS takes most of it. You can browse the web and store a few MP3s, but forget carrying lots of audio and video around. However, there's an SD slot you can use to expand the storage without opening it up, and that does nicely for media files.

You guys are killing me with the Linux bashing! The only reason the WinXP has double the SSD is that it takes double the size to run, and as soon as the registry get over-bloated, it will be full and/or crash!

Expasion card is for storage. SSD is just for OS.

usermanual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages usermanual

this actually isn't a bad deal at all.
replace whatever distro of linux they put on there with ubuntu, and then it's almost like windows but faster!
also, some people are doing pretty cool things with these. Including touch screens and what not.

caveat br0wz0r

ninjo61

goattuber wrote:.99 kilograms = 2.1825764 pounds

google and I stand corrected.

Tanks.

cmdrredhawk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

I have the 1000H and the 900HA.

I would skip on both woots today due to one fact. These machines DO NOT HAVE ATOM processors.

My 1000H can run multiple virtual machines, boots both linux and windows, plays EvE Online, and is a general tiny powerhouse of fun. I didn't mention the HD video did I?

But the Celeron processor is 1/3 the speed and doesn't have half the battery life. My entire machine running with full brightness and wifi is less than 13watts.

In general spend the extra money, get a regualr HD or upgrade to a bigger SSD, and get the Atom CPU, it's the equiv or better to a 3.2GHz P4.

Kingu

jhetrick62 wrote:You guys are killing me with the Linux bashing! The only reason the WinXP has double the SSD is that it takes double the size to run, and as soon as the registry get over-bloated, it will be full and/or crash!

Expasion card is for storage. SSD is just for OS.

Here is the real life experience I had with the EeePC that's on Sellout... Boot xp for the first time - 12 minutes. Windows update: 24 hours to install; on a 8gb SSD, there was 1.4gb of space left at the end of the updates.

After endless whining about how slow XP was, I finally took XP off of it, used Wine to run the single Windows program she desperately needed, and now she's happy as a clam.

Don't get me wrong; you can certainly live with the default Xandros install that's on this machine. But if you don't mind spending a little time, burning a couple CDs, and using an external CD/DVD, you can have a great machine (with loads of support from other EeePC owners who have done the same thing.)

Most tricky thing is getting tethering to work, but if you do (and your dataplan allows it), you'll very much enjoy it.

Oh, and yeah, there's Linux tools for iPods, but no iTunes...

joewilson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joewilson
karatefestival wrote:am i the only one on the planet that doesn't care for webcams? they make me nervous, like someone could be staring at me. i don't ever want pic the vic to happen to me.

I'm looking at your right now.

cmdrredhawk

I forgot to mention that the supplied linux is kinda horrible.

http://www.eeebuntu.org/

eeeBuntu has all the right drivers and modules to make your eeepc really shine. With the 160gb regular hard drive dual booting isn't a problem.

cmdrredhawk wrote:I have the 1000H and the 900HA.

I would skip on both woots today due to one fact. These machines DO NOT HAVE ATOM processors.

My 1000H can run multiple virtual machines, boots both linux and windows, plays EvE Online, and is a general tiny powerhouse of fun. I didn't mention the HD video did I?

But the Celeron processor is 1/3 the speed and doesn't have half the battery life. My entire machine running with full brightness and wifi is less than 13watts.

In general spend the extra money, get a regualr HD or upgrade to a bigger SSD, and get the Atom CPU, it's the equiv or better to a 3.2GHz P4.

djslack

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djslack
ninjo61 wrote:quick can some one convert the .99kg to lbs?

My buddy Google can. He's great at that kind of stuff.

(He says its like 2.18 pounds, if you don't want to click through).

edit: ok, so i didn't read down before replying... see you already got it, but maybe someone else will learn a new trick from this post.

cmdrredhawk

The 900 series can hold a single 2.5" laptop drive. Which newegg prices gives you 500gb hd for 90 or 64gb SSD for a little more.

LastApeMan wrote:I understand an SSD is a Ram Drive.

a solid state drive.

green0101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages green0101

First woot... in for one. Couldn't resist for the college angle, tiny & lightweight, will win-XP it by all means... 802.11 wifi... good enough to surf and do homework on while in class (when allowed). Asus gaming laptop w/ 17" monitor is too big to tote around. Thanx woot!

guywithcable

quality posts: 1 Private Messages guywithcable
901Memphis wrote:That is a heck of a price. This is the best buy for this product. A lot cheaper than you can get it at other places.

Replace the OS though for most users.

Agreed. Xandros is so dumb. Ubuntu Netbook Remix free the weasels.

jchastn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchastn
adhurt wrote:4GB SSD is not upgradeable... go checkout sellout.woot.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#Specifications

An SD card can be mounted as a second hard drive on this unit. RAM can be expanded to 4 gigs very cheaply. XP can be installed. I have a eee701(REALLY small screen) and made these improvements. It is absolutely great for our many vacations and road trips, as an email,websurf,watch a ripped movie machine. I ordered one of these 900s and will move the second drive, RAM, and OS over to the new machine with the bigger screen. FUN! You might say its just a toy, but it is a really fun toy that is so small and light I can take it on an airplane without throwing out my back. We take an ultra small Western Digital external HD with 320 gigs with us to store the new pictures that we take by the hundreds, and we have loads of ripped DVDs so we can watch movies and TV shows on the plane or in the rental car. The key is to only store essential things on the internal drives, and keep the fun guppy on the externals. The keyboard is smallish, but its totally usable unlike most other netbooks, and ultraportables.

mao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mao
Bmop wrote:"Linux?" There's 40000 different distros. Which one does this thing come with?

Does it matter? How hard is it to install a different version, really?

mao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mao
Kingu wrote:Boot xp for the first time - 12 minutes. Windows update: 24 hours to install; on a 8gb SSD, there was 1.4gb of space left at the end of the updates.

Am I the only one who thinks something is wrong here? I just got my 904 like 5 months ago, did the install of XP, updates, and all my normal programs and I still used less than 4GB. Maybe you had some weird partition or something (can you even do that on a SSD?)

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001

These babies are the shitnitz!!! I take them pretty much every where, even hiking and mountin biking! The Linux OS isn't that bad at all! You pretty much have everything you need on that thing. If you need to install something serious, better put it somewhere else. I have the original version, and bought it refeurb a year and it still running. If i didn't have that, i'd buy one of these in a heart beat!

gone!

guywithcable

quality posts: 1 Private Messages guywithcable
meh3884 wrote:i can't help but find these things nothing but a useless fashion accessory. you look cool with a tiny laptop that is capable of hardly any of the functionality of a real computer.

It's got an X86 processor... so yeah... it can do anything a normal computer can (processing wise), just slower.

Yay Turing completeness.

netspursfan123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netspursfan123

I wish woot had a deffered billing or payment plan for times like this when I was broke and would of loved to get this for my little brother.

chade2001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
mao wrote:Am I the only one who thinks something is wrong here? I just got my 904 like 5 months ago, did the install of XP, updates, and all my normal programs and I still used less than 4GB. Maybe you had some weird partition or something (can you even do that on a SSD?)

same deal here. going over 4gb of xp installation is just plain weird!

gone!

akspa420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akspa420

I snagged two. I want one for use as an ebook. The other, I'll be giving away as a present. The price is decent enough for what it will be used for.

wootywoo09

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootywoo09

that's a whole lot of talk about changing the 'os'. Someone explain how to do this because there is no optical drive (cdrom) to put a disc in. I don't even want to ask if there's a 'bios' that you can get to boot to a usb with a ghost of xp on it.. and!! 512mb for xp with service pack 3? I mean maybe windows 98 for these specs but be realistic and someone explain how to do the os swap from Linux to windows.. someone who has already done it! Anyone?

moukun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moukun

aww why the 900

wootywoo09

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootywoo09
wootywoo09 wrote:that's a whole lot of talk about changing the 'os'. Someone explain how to do this because there is no optical drive (cdrom) to put a disc in. I don't even want to ask if there's a 'bios' that you can get to boot to a usb with a ghost of xp on it.. and!! 512mb for xp with service pack 3? I mean maybe windows 98 for these specs but be realistic and someone explain how to do the os swap from Linux to windows.. someone who has already done it! Anyone?

I ask because I had one of these and the Linux version on it wow it doesn't let you do much I'll tell you that!