cyberspyder


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyberspyder

It's a great device. No extra apps, to speak of, but clock can be set to come up on wake. There is no setting to leave the screen on though. Paired with the headphones with controls and it is excellent for exercise. Use the skin, as it is delicate when dropped.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

That FM transmitter is mediocre at best. Sold under a number of names and often returned to stores. I had one and the wire broke right away.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

216


quality posts: 1 Private Messages 216

I have the 16gb of the new Nano. Its a solidly built little gizmo that runs great, has amazing battery life and has good sound quality. The interface is a bit challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it, it makes sense and is easy to navigate. Seems like a good deal here too.

(I also have a Sansa Clip+ and its a good deal, but I prefer the Nano more).

If you're on the fence, I'd say go ahead and grab one.

tonyspectacular


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tonyspectacular

Will this particular armband accommodate the nike+ transmitter as well?

yossisiegel


quality posts: 4 Private Messages yossisiegel

Was about to buy two, then realized that although I can use PayPal to pay, woot does not allow access to PayPal Smart Connect, the credit line. It makes you use a credit card/checking account. What is the point of having a paypal line of credit if many merchants do not allow it?

DuggleBogey


quality posts: 5 Private Messages DuggleBogey

Tons more features? Really?

Rockbox FTW.

kyleen66


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyleen66

I got this for the gym. I've got an iPod Classic, but it's big and great for a lot of things. The gym where I have no pockets is one of them. I've been planning on getting one, just hadn't because I'm tied to my desk a lot. Thanks woot! You saved me yet another shopping trip.

docroy2009


quality posts: 1 Private Messages docroy2009

I believe the stations are actually 105.1, 105.3, 105.5, 105.7 and 105.9. I have this transmitter and it works great for us!

cole103


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103

You're kidding, right? $130 for a 8GB player w/ no onboard FM, no expandability. And you have to deal with iTunes DRM for your music???? WOW, jump right in fanboys, it don't get no better than this...........

Oh wait, there's my Sansa Clip+ 4GB for $20 with a SDHC slot (with my $10 8GB card), FM, better sound, custom EQ, podcast and audiobook handling and opensource downloads. WOW, just WOW..........

A fool(fanboy) and his money..............

oldgal3


quality posts: 3 Private Messages oldgal3

My sister jumped on this the last time Woot offered it, and the iPod itself quit working after its first sync. Didn't last a week.
She took it to the Apple store, told them it was a gift, and they replaced it with a non-new one, after ascertaining it was dead.

warmice


quality posts: 6 Private Messages warmice

Just bought one as a reward for one of the students that I teach. $151 with tax at Sams Club, no accessory kit though.


If you can read thank a teacher.
If you can read in English thank a Marine.

cole103


quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
roxannez wrote:The control buttons on Sansa MP3 players suck. They're not worth $25, and the sound level is locked at an unacceptably low rate. Even with a pair of Bose in-ear headphones, the sound level and quality was still junk on the Sansa. I've bought Sansas on Woot and ended up going right back to using my very old and still fully working iPod. The Sansas ended up getting tossed into an electronics recycling bin.



Dear Fanboy
I know this falls on deaf ears, but the the Sansas usually come in a "Low Volume" mode---just go to "Settings" then "Volume" and change it! If you think the audio quality of the Sansa is below the iPod then you're in a small minority. Of course it should be a clue that you are using Bose junk for 'phones. I suggest you go somewhere like head-fi.org and educate yourself a little and save some $$$. Or just continue blasting trash through an wildly overpriced, underachieving fashion statement---your choice.

bassyb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bassyb

I wish this had AM so I could listen to Dallas Radio 1310 The Ticket

HighDesert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HighDesert
bassyb wrote:I wish this had AM so I could listen to Dallas Radio 1310 The Ticket



AM requires the use of a large internal antenna (ferrite) for reasonable reception. Hence, you would not see an AM option on small devices.

jadedknight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadedknight
jrs1980 wrote:I believe I have that FM transmitter. Mine has five preset stations, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, and 88.9, so if none of those stations are empty in your area, that won't be of use to you.

The transmitter by itself cost around $20. It randomly turns off a few times right when I turn it on. No problems after that, though.



I believe I, also, had that FM transmitter at one point. If it is the same one I had, it was a few bucks from Hong Kong and, when opened, there is a variable resistor on the board that you can turn with a screwdriver. When turned, it adjusts all of the preset stations up or down.

CrimsonKing


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CrimsonKing
cole103 wrote:You're kidding, right? $130 for a 8GB player w/ no onboard FM, no expandability. And you have to deal with iTunes DRM for your music???? WOW, jump right in fanboys, it don't get no better than this...........



Quite bashing something you've obviously never used. I'm not a fan of most Apple products, but I have been using iTunes for many years b/c it is so good for organizing my music and the easiest for creating smart playlists based on a large number of criteria. That said, I've only bought one DRM album from the iTunes store out of the 240GB in my library. (That was to spend a gift card was given.) You just add your own music like you would any other software program.

That said, I was given this product for free recently and it's fantastic. Such a pleasure to use. I've never used a Sansa so I can't compare it. But compared to my Droid X or old iPod (now paperweight) G4, it's great to have something so light. I'm just curious to see if the battery craps out after a year like my regular iPod.

I don't mind someone stating a negative opinion, but get your facts right before bashing somthing.

Frankie4Fingers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Frankie4Fingers
cole103 wrote:You're kidding, right? $130 for a 8GB player w/ no onboard FM, no expandability. And you have to deal with iTunes DRM for your music???? WOW, jump right in fanboys, it don't get no better than this...........

Oh wait, there's my Sansa Clip+ 4GB for $20 with a SDHC slot (with my $10 8GB card), FM, better sound, custom EQ, podcast and audiobook handling and opensource downloads. WOW, just WOW..........

A fool(fanboy) and his money..............



If you want a larger, clunky control, plasic player with a little, non-colored screen feel free to buy the Sansa. Basically, you get the quality you pay for. No one has ever said Apple products or the iPod line is the cheapest there is. In fact, it is usually the most expensive. What you get is typically quality and user experience. Some people put a higher priority on that than they do a expandable card or FM reception.

Why hate on people for making that decision? If you don't want to buy one, let those who do comment on the positives of the deal.

Frankie4Fingers

DrAzzy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DrAzzy

Where are those cheap 8GB music players you used to sell?

Last year i got an 8gb Sansa Fuze here for about a quarter of this price. Sure it didn't have the car charger, but the battery lasts eons! Sure, it didn't have FM radio (as far as I know), but who wants to listen to endless radio commercials?

Sure, it didn't have the touch-screen control, but you don't _want_ a touch screen on an mp3 player, because then you have to take it out of your pocket so you can see the screen in order to use it. With an mp3 player with physical controls, you can leave it in your pocket and operate the controls by feel.

Note that this kit DOES NOT INCLUDE the remote that would let you control the iPod without looking at the screen!

Bottom line, I come to woot for bargains, not to pay a 300% premium to have the outline of a piece of fruit with a bite taken out of it on my consumer electronics.

Parryjr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Parryjr

It's ludicrous that it won't work with a Mac running Tiger -- my el cheapo Sansa Fuzes will! I love Apple's computers, I have a 6-year-old iBook still running beautifully, loved my old iPod Mini, but I haven't been tempted by any of the nanos. The sound just isn't as good as the Ssnsa Fuze Plus, and those cheap little Sansas work great for recording interviews, recording a radio show for later and of course listening to the radio, gets good reception even on a low-powered community station. Plus, so cheap you can have a back-up Sansa at the ready. I got a newer 8GB for when I finally kill the 2GB, but the 2GB still works fine even tho it's been dropped numerous times and one side is loose and held down with scotch tape.

spiderweb1986


quality posts: 3 Private Messages spiderweb1986
cole103 wrote:And you have to deal with iTunes DRM for your music????


You do know that it's been two years since iTunes has used DRM, right?

kaidenshi


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kaidenshi
evanname wrote:OK, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but maybe I'll also get one reasonable answer.

How do you buy this device or any other Apple hardware that does not have a microSD slot? Actually, forget the Apple part, how about any company that leaves out the possibility of expansion.



~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been using MP3 players off and on since they first came out. One of my first players had 64MB of built in memory with an SD expansion slot that could handle up to a 256MB card, at a time when the biggest card available was 512MB and cost nearly $.50/MB. That was a time when expansion slots were not only convenient, they were needed.

These days, I find that the two iPods I own are all I need, and no expansion slots are necessary. I have a second generation Shuffle, the rectangular one with a clip, that is 1GB. That is about 9-10 hours of music and is so lightweight I can clip it to my shirt collar to listen to while doing data entry at work, as well as when exercising, and I don't even know it's there. I swap between two playlists for those purposes (fast, up-beat music for working out and a genre-crossing mix so I don't get bored at work).

My other iPod is an 80GB 5th gen "iPod video". It is large enough to hold my entire music collection (it's all copied from my CDs or purchased from iTunes and Amazon so not as big as most people's libraries), and I have all my iTunes playlists synced to it. It connects to my Panasonic Viera TV via its bundled dock, and to my car via an audio input jack. It goes with me on long trips and gives me access to all of my music all the time. It doubles as a backup hard drive, as I use only about a fourth of the space for all my synced music.

So in summary, the lack of music expansion for me means one less level of complexity to deal with. I realize my use case doesn't match everyone's, but between my two iPods I have all my listening needs covered.

Kacia


quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kacia

If you want simplicity and ease of use, get Apple, but don't you dare do anything with the device that Apple doesn't want you to.

If you don't like to be locked into the box, like to expand your devices whether it be by hardware or software, and you're willing to be in the wild risking complexity (and possible glitches) to get more, get something else.

Kacia


quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kacia
DrAzzy wrote:Where are those cheap 8GB music players you used to sell?

Last year i got an 8gb Sansa Fuze here for about a quarter of this price. Sure it didn't have the car charger, but the battery lasts eons! Sure, it didn't have FM radio (as far as I know), but who wants to listen to endless radio commercials?



I think that's the same one I picked up on Woot awhile back. Yes, it has FM radio

(oh, I got the 4gig)

And I got a car charger for a ridiculously low price, along with other accessories, on amazon.

kyrnzkewl


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kyrnzkewl

Looks like there is no easy way to skip the song playing, without looking at the screen on this nano. I currently use ipod shuffle (which is smaller than this nano). Although the shuffle is lacking is screen and other features, I mainly use it when I'm working out. I usually clip it to my pant buckle, hidden. One thing I like about the shuffle is, I don't have to look at the player to control it. I can skip to the next track without having to look at the shuffle. I can simply do it by the feel of the control wheel. It comes in handy when I'm running and don't want to look down to control the player.

I've always wanted this Nano, but other than the volume buttons, it looks like the only way to control tracks is by touching on-screen controls.

desterado


quality posts: 3 Private Messages desterado
cole103 wrote:You're kidding, right? $130 for a 8GB player w/ no onboard FM, no expandability. And you have to deal with iTunes DRM for your music???? WOW, jump right in fanboys, it don't get no better than this...........

Oh wait, there's my Sansa Clip+ 4GB for $20 with a SDHC slot (with my $10 8GB card), FM, better sound, custom EQ, podcast and audiobook handling and opensource downloads. WOW, just WOW..........

A fool(fanboy) and his money..............



HEY!

It's funny how WRONG you are and you clearly just like to bash Apple products. That's cool, except the part where you didn't even read the item description on the front page.

It DOES have FM, and you can actually pause the FM and if the radio station supports it you can tag songs you like. Oops.

Look again, I'll wait.

It also does support Podcasts and Audiobooks.

It works with Nike+ and it has a touch screen, but OH MY GOD ITS SUCH AN AWFUL DEVICE.

Also, what DRM? You do realize iTunes songs haven't had DRM for over a year now....right? It's actually been almost two years, but you know....since you know so much about this AWFUL product I figure you would've done some research, but alas you didn't.

Sure we can't expand our storage with an SDHC card, but oh well.

I forgot we can use our voices with the apple headset to tell it what songs to play or to skip songs or shuffle, but whatever it's such an awful overpriced device, why would anyone want it.

avilehenchman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avilehenchman

A VILE Henchman appears! You must be on the right track!

Where in the world is the manufacturer of the first kids woot! item located?

(Answer here!)

Pufferfishy


quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Anyone managed one of these with CopyTrans?

I'd consider one if it meant never touching iTunes.....

You've been put on posting probation for this post

btflorey


quality posts: 9 Private Messages btflorey
ContinentalDrifter wrote:So, $135 including shipping from Amazon, and the same price on woot! but you get a few cheap doodads along with it. You're going to have to work harder to sell me on this one.



Yep, especially since Amazon's 30-day return policy is worth more to me than these cheap "doodads" and a nonexistence return policy.

ontiveron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ontiveron

Ok - this thing with accessories should be like $99; for it to truly be a good WOOT Deal!

The thing is 8GB, people! It's not even the better 16GB model! Accessories, shmeckcessories!

Woot+Amazon=CRAP!

I've been a WOOT purchaser for years, but if this garbage doesn't change, then it seems like WOOT will miss out on a huge following of bargain hunters. Ever since Amazon bought it out; the deals have gone to crap on here!

I'm supremely disappointed.

ontiveron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ontiveron
btflorey wrote:Yep, especially since Amazon's 30-day return policy is worth more to me than these cheap "doodads" and a nonexistence return policy.



Totally Agree Man! They must think that WOOT Purchasers are humans or something! Before you buy out a company, cause it has a huge following - Amazon should have done its homework... they have no idea what type of consumers we are at all!!! We're the super smart computer uber-nerds - we don't overpay for crap!

btflorey


quality posts: 9 Private Messages btflorey
warmice wrote:Just bought one as a reward for one of the students that I teach. $151 with tax at Sams Club, no accessory kit though.



Will you be my teacher?

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
216 wrote:I have the 16gb of the new Nano. Its a solidly built little gizmo that runs great, has amazing battery life and has good sound quality. The interface is a bit challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it, it makes sense and is easy to navigate. Seems like a good deal here too.

(I also have a Sansa Clip+ and its a good deal, but I prefer the Nano more).

If you're on the fence, I'd say go ahead and grab one.



How does this compare to Gen5, which was up on a wootoff end of last year? It's smaller, obviously, but anything else sets them apart?

And are they all worth rockboxing?

rmhartman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rmhartman

I had this transmitter as well. One annoying thing with mine was the LED created a noise interfering with the reception. I snipped the lead to it and it was much better after that.

jadedknight wrote:I believe I, also, had that FM transmitter at one point. If it is the same one I had, it was a few bucks from Hong Kong and, when opened, there is a variable resistor on the board that you can turn with a screwdriver. When turned, it adjusts all of the preset stations up or down.



richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
kaidenshi wrote:~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been using MP3 players off and on since they first came out. One of my first players had 64MB of built in memory with an SD expansion slot that could handle up to a 256MB card, at a time when the biggest card available was 512MB and cost nearly $.50/MB. That was a time when expansion slots were not only convenient, they were needed.

These days, I find that the two iPods I own are all I need, and no expansion slots are necessary. I have a second generation Shuffle, the rectangular one with a clip, that is 1GB. That is about 9-10 hours of music and is so lightweight I can clip it to my shirt collar to listen to while doing data entry at work, as well as when exercising, and I don't even know it's there. I swap between two playlists for those purposes (fast, up-beat music for working out and a genre-crossing mix so I don't get bored at work).

My other iPod is an 80GB 5th gen "iPod video". It is large enough to hold my entire music collection (it's all copied from my CDs or purchased from iTunes and Amazon so not as big as most people's libraries), and I have all my iTunes playlists synced to it. It connects to my Panasonic Viera TV via its bundled dock, and to my car via an audio input jack. It goes with me on long trips and gives me access to all of my music all the time. It doubles as a backup hard drive, as I use only about a fourth of the space for all my synced music.

So in summary, the lack of music expansion for me means one less level of complexity to deal with. I realize my use case doesn't match everyone's, but between my two iPods I have all my listening needs covered.



I have a 4th Gen 60GB iPod.. black and white no video There's a $250 hack for it to turn it, once rooted, into the best lossless compression audio source you can find. Rivalling CD players costing upwards of $5k :D I'm going to send it in for that...

chennai8


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
btflorey wrote:Will you be my teacher?



second that!

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

runerul


quality posts: 0 Private Messages runerul

why do most people want extended memory for a music player. i am not talking about this current woot. i mean in general. 8gb should be more than enough music for many work out sessions or listening to music while working, right?
i have a 4gb ipod nano 3rd gen and it's just enough for me.

buffaloed


quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
Pufferfishy wrote:Anyone managed one of these with CopyTrans?

I'd consider one if it meant never touching iTunes.....



It won't work. CopyTrans Manager only has read only functionality with the Nano 6G. CopyTrans Manager is the module that can be used in place of iTunes.
http://www.copytrans.net/support.php?action=showEntry&data=1501

N3rdh3rd3r


quality posts: 1 Private Messages N3rdh3rd3r
Pufferfishy wrote:Anyone managed one of these with CopyTrans?

I'd consider one if it meant never touching iTunes.....



Just use Podlift...quick, easy,free, and no iTunes!

loosejello


quality posts: 1 Private Messages loosejello
runerul wrote:why do most people want extended memory for a music player. i am not talking about this current woot. i mean in general. 8gb should be more than enough music for many work out sessions or listening to music while working, right?
i have a 4gb ipod nano 3rd gen and it's just enough for me.



Because I don't use my iPod for just working out or listening to at work. I want the freedom to access all my music, all the time, wherever I am, without having to take the time to swap out playlists or albums. My music collection is much much more than 4gb, as I imagine is the case with a multitude of other people. Just cuz it "just enough for you" doesn't mean it is for everyone else.

kuoh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kuoh

It's a matter of choice. Some people don't like having to tether to the PC every other day to update the library and playlists. If they can load all or at least a majority of their library on the device, then they can choose whatever they want to listen to whenever they want. No need to plan ahead and decide which tenth of their collection to take with them.

A side benefit, though not to be entirely relied upon, is that the device can also serve as a portable backup. Once upon a time, I was ignorant enough to have all of my music, along with other data, stored on a single drive. Needless to say, Murphy paid me a visit and I lost a good deal of my music and almost all other data. If it weren't for my "portable backup" I would've lost it all.

KuoH

runerul wrote:why do most people want extended memory for a music player.