+ Add a Comment

Froggypwns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Froggypwns
mrwilliematt wrote:No skype, no netflix, and no Hulu, trying to cancel my order now!

What? Skype works, I use it daily on my Xoom. I don't have Netflix or Hulu so I haven't bothered trying those yet.

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316
kdoug wrote:Other than the viewing angle, the EEe Pad has nothing on this. I've seen several reports of backlight bleeding and broken speakers on the Asus. I've also heard their customer service is pitiful.

Even rooted, the Gtab left a LOT to be desired, big, bulky, heavy, and (you know I have to say it), a screen so bad someone should be shot over it. The build quality on my Transformer is excellent, the speakers are fine (as mobile speakers go), and I don't have any light bleed to speak of. I understand these are issues that some users have experienced, so individual mileage may vary. I was very unhappy with my Gtab, and was more than happy to unload it.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
jpstrings wrote:WOW $399 to take notes and play angry birds. I have plenty of free paper note pads and pens at work for taking notes. I have angry birds on my smart phone that i got for free from amazon app of the day. Paying $399 for a notepad is just crazy. You can buy a Xbox 360 and some games and still be under $399. I am willing to bet, people will use their xbox 360 more than this $399 notebook/angry bird game player.

Now don't get me wrong, i am tempted to buy a tablet, but i still can not justify the cost yet and can not find any real uses for it. My smart phone does everything this tablet does plus make calls.

Have you ever noticed how clothes that are brown or orange or yellow-green look better on people with Mediterranean complexions (like one of my cousins by marriage) than they do on blond Scandinavian types (like his wife and me)? Different people have different needs and interests.

-- Ed

otisjay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otisjay
wolfwood316 wrote:In addition to the other replies, while I don't know this for absolute fact, I am guessing if you use Dolphin Browser HD and set the agent to "desktop", you could probably bypass FB's mobile site, and chat as normal via browser.

You can pick to view FB in a normal mode on any mobile tablet/smartphone right on there site... how well it runs will very on the specs of your gear.

kdoug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdoug
otisjay wrote:What did you have running in the background, My Xoom has been nothing but great for me. only lagging if i have a few high-end games running in the background.. the FB was bad & FC'ed ALOT for awhile but thats been patched, Alot of honeycomb Apps are out now...

but to each his own.

Nothing wrong with owning both! I'm really bored with Apple's iOS. This was too good of deal to pass up.

otisjay

mrwilliematt wrote:No skype, no netflix, and no Hulu, trying to cancel my order now!

netflix, & Hulu+ are coming soon. it'll be worth it.

kdoug

wolfwood316 wrote:Even rooted, the Gtab left a LOT to be desired, big, bulky, heavy, and (you know I have to say it), a screen so bad someone should be shot over it. The build quality on my Transformer is excellent, the speakers are fine (as mobile speakers go), and I don't have any light bleed to speak of. I understand these are issues that some users have experienced, so individual mileage may vary. I was very unhappy with my Gtab, and was more than happy to unload it.

The IPS screen is gorgeous on the Transformer, I'll give it that.

Tsa05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tsa05

Agreed, and Play-On and Google Movies exist now. Having an HD device (with actual HD video dimensions) is surprisingly satisfying :D

otisjay wrote:netflix, & Hulu+ are coming soon. it'll be worth it.

Froggypwns

editorkid wrote:I hope you can verify that you never, ever get up during commercials to get a drink or pee or whatever. Just during the show itself. 'Cause otherwise, you're stealing.

Well first off, I don't watch TV, so there is nothing to "steal".

poooonys who block ads on the web are the reason the rest of us have to suffer with more annoying and invasive ads like the ones that cover the entire page till you click the X (if you can even find the X)

kdoug

Welcome to Apple, I guess.........

wikowsky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wikowsky
LCBrewing wrote:3.2 update for the WiFi Xoom was released yesterday. Info can be found here:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/12/download-motorola-xoom-wifi-3-2-update-htj85b/

Thanks! Going there now...

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
Boweevil wrote:what do you need flash for? everything runs on HTML5 now

ummm, what internet are you browsing on? Clearly not the same one as me. Flash is still ubiquitous on the web, and will be for quite some time. Yes, HTML5 can and may replace it.....some day....but that day is still YEARS away if it even comes.

kdoug

wolfwood316 wrote:Even rooted, the Gtab left a LOT to be desired, big, bulky, heavy, and (you know I have to say it), a screen so bad someone should be shot over it. The build quality on my Transformer is excellent, the speakers are fine (as mobile speakers go), and I don't have any light bleed to speak of. I understand these are issues that some users have experienced, so individual mileage may vary. I was very unhappy with my Gtab, and was more than happy to unload it.

I did one better than this! I rooted a B&N color Nook. It went from being slow to really slow.

Mominator

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Mominator

Admin types:

Quality post on front page:
"Mominator is typing away on his XOOM,..."

I love you guys, and thank you for deeming that a quality post-- but Mominator is... that is, I am, a girl.

otisjay

Boweevil wrote:what do you need flash for? everything runs on HTML5 now

/spittake

Wut?!?!?

courtct

quality posts: 0 Private Messages courtct

Can you add the Verizon Wirelss data service to this after purchase or does it not come with that capability?

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote
bill0405 wrote:Appears this is the wifi only version. GPS wont work unless your connected to a wifi network (so likely almost never when you're driving)

So there isn't an Android navigating app that includes the maps? I have one on my iPhone because I often am out in the boonies and don't want to count on having signal.

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

captpatchula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captpatchula

I might have gone with an iPad, but I can't bring myself to accept the iTunes user agreement, and therefore give permission for my body to be used in the human centIPad.

ivanivanovich

Froggypwns wrote:{insulting word} who block ads on the web are the reason the rest of us have to suffer with more annoying and invasive ads like the ones that cover the entire page till you click the X (if you can even find the X)

Possibly. My take is that it's the {even more insulting word} advertisers trying to outdo themselves and each other who are responsible.

-- Ed

srsomasundaram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srsomasundaram
RWoodward wrote:Probably not. Most of these were probably returned when the buyer realized for the same price they could have had a real computer rather than a juiced-up cell phone that won't make phone calls.

I for one did the same thing. These tablets are not worth the money we put in; I bought a Gateway Netbook instead and am happy with it.

Soma

------------------
30 Woots so far....and counting.....

tiponeill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tiponeill

Damm - I just bought this for @599 from Amazon

BTW - it is solid and works great, but still waiting for a lot of apps to be developed for it - at the moment the iPad can do more as long as you are willing to live in Steve Jobs closed garden - I'm not.

As Jobs says - if you want OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES! - buy Android

ivanivanovich

courtct wrote:Can you add the Verizon Wirelss data service to this after purchase or does it not come with that capability?

No hardware inside to connect you with Verizon - just wi-fi.

-- Ed

kdoug

tiponeill wrote:Damm - I just bought this for @599 from Amazon

BTW - it is solid and works great, but still waiting for a lot of apps to be developed for it - at the moment the iPad can do more as long as you are willing to live in Steve Jobs closed garden - I'm not.

As Jobs says - if you want OMGOMGOMGPONIESOMG PONIES! - buy Android

It'll go well with my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. I'm bored to death with Apple products, hopefully this'll spice things up.

Froggypwns

ggrote wrote:So there isn't an Android navigating app that includes the maps? I have one on my iPhone because I often am out in the boonies and don't want to count on having signal.

Yes, there are multiple apps including Navigon that do that.

Nubby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nubby
Boweevil wrote:why would you buy this when you can get an iPad for 350$

Also here's a Video Review

You mean the old iPad? There are so many reasons. Ram, Storage, Flash Support, Open Developer ecosystem, unencrypted boot loader... The reasons go on and on. But really its all about preference.

Welcome to the suck.

macwall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages macwall
wikowsky wrote:Motorola created the XOOM to compete with the iPad 2 but they released the xoom before it was ready. Problem is, the xoom is STILL NOT ready!
It has a SD Card slot that is DEAD and to this date Motorola has still NOT fixed it!
It does a great job at what it does, and in my opinion it does beat the iPad 1&2. I just don't like being LIED to, and I paid $600.00 for mine at BestBuy!

You mentioned Best Buy and lie in the same sentence. Why should you be surprised.

kdoug

srsomasundaram wrote:I for one did the same thing. These tablets are not worth the money we put in; I bought a Gateway Netbook instead and am happy with it.

Soma

There are people who like variety though. I have a new MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 4 and now this. You can never have too many toys!

dleepublic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dleepublic

I tried searching first before posting, and could not find the answer.

Anyone know the model#?

ivanivanovich

tiponeill wrote:{A}t the moment the iPad can do more as long as you are willing to live in Steve Jobs closed garden - I'm not.

You know you can jailbreak an iPad, right? (A 1, anyway - don't know whether they've cracked the 2 yet.) Then you can access other markets.

-- Ed

ggrote

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggrote
Froggypwns wrote:Yes, there are multiple apps including Navigon that do that.

Okay ... I would have been surprised otherwise ... my wife has Navigon on her iPhone ... I have CoPilot on mine ... I like my iPhone, but I only bought it because there weren't any decent Android phones available back then ... I'm up for renewal in a few months, and I haven't bought a tablet yet, so I have to decide whether to get the new iPhone and an iPad or shift to an Android phone and something like this ... choices, choices ...

"If you're not having fun, lower your standards."

kdoug

dleepublic wrote:I tried searching first before posting, and could not find the answer.

Anyone know the model#?

Yes it's simply XOOM Wi-Fi.

otisjay

wikowsky wrote:...It has a SD Card slot that is DEAD and to this date Motorola has still NOT fixed it!

The patch JUST came out for the SD clot yesurday.. patch 3.2

vuoto

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vuoto
Boweevil wrote:why would you buy this when you can get an iPad for 350$

Can you provide a link where you can buy a current generation iPad for $350?

This Xoom is better than the first gen iPad.

otisjay

ggrote wrote:Okay ... I would have been surprised otherwise ... my wife has Navigon on her iPhone ... I have CoPilot on mine ... I like my iPhone, but I only bought it because there weren't any decent Android phones available back then ... I'm up for renewal in a few months, and I haven't bought a tablet yet, so I have to decide whether to get the new iPhone and an iPad or shift to an Android phone and something like this ... choices, choices ...

do yourself a faver. Don't let any talk you out of a Iphone or a Android phone(s). They both work fine. whats better for you verys on your taste in the two (3 if you count Windows phone) mobile OS'

GL

lava9611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lava9611
courtct wrote:Can you add the Verizon Wirelss data service to this after purchase or does it not come with that capability?

No, this is the Wi-Fi model. You aren't able to add the Verizon Wireless data service to it.

jrstinkfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrstinkfish

Xoom is nice, but the screen just doesn't compare to the Transformer screen. Here are some comparison pics (Transformer is in the middle, Xoom on the right):

Comparison Shots

It is true that there are reports of varying build quality with the Transformer, and one can only hope that Asus has worked out the kinks in the production process since launch. My TF is not flawless, has very slight light bleed and some case flex, but I wouldn't trade it for a Xoom.

Not to mention the TF has had a functional SD slot since launch

cypherx82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cypherx82
MichaelSF wrote:I can tell you why there's refurbished Xooms, because a lot of people are returning them, like I did.

But unlike what people think, it's not because of defects (the Xoom is a nice device), it's because:

1) It does NOT have Adobe Flash support. That means it will NOT play video on websites (all sites now playing video in Adobe Flash format).

(From some posts in here, the updates do provide Flash support now, but even when I installed Honeycomb 3.1 my Xoom would not play flash files.)

2) Motorola brought the Xoom to market with a promise that all purchasers could send in the Xoom for a 4G upgrade.

That was three months ago that the promise was made. Motorola has yet to provide the upgrade. There's a question if Motorola intends to fulfill its promise of the free upgrade.

3) Although there's a microSD slot, it does NOT work. There's a clear plastic chip in the slot that says the slot will work on Motorola providing the hardware upgrade. Specifically, it says:

"Replace with MicroSD only after Android system update."

(See below.)

Many people are returning the Xoom on finding out there's no Adobe Flash support, the microSD slot does not work and that Motorola has not announced that the free hardware upgrade is available.

The Xoom did install Honeycomb 3.1 about ten minutes after I connected to the Net via WiFi. The microSD slot did NOT work after the update, despite the microSD-shaped plastic chip said it would work after the update.

I searched the Net to see if there was any info on the microSD slot, now an "issue." I did not find anything.

I don't know about anyone else, but the microSD slot not working, after a supposed update would enable it, well... that does not instill confidence about Motorola ever providing other upgrades.

1. It DOES have Flash support. you just need to download Adobe Flash Player from the Market.

2. The 4G module for the Xoom passed through the FCC Monday, so it's coming soon.

3. The SD card slot can already be activated by rooting, but the 3.2 update that's rolling out now (WiFi units received it this morning) activates all slots.

lava9611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lava9611
cypherx82 wrote:
2. The 4G module for the Xoom passed through the FCC Monday, so it's coming soon.

Just to be clear thought, the 4G module upgrade is only for the existing Verizon 3G models. Not this (Wi-Fi) model.

himynameismark182

quality posts: 0 Private Messages himynameismark182
platesack wrote:yeah.. one or two that run properly

Android Honeycomb 3.2 has been released for this tablet, once upgraded it can scale all apps on the android market to work on the tablets screen

kamikazi02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kamikazi02

? Does this model have the Sim Card Slot for 3G, If so where is it located?