wh0flungp00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wh0flungp00

I'd buy this thing if it were made by Apple. When does the Air Multiplier 5 come out?

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

The actual airflow of this fan, which Woot so thoughtfully decided to not disclose, is 5 gallons per second. Now, nobody else who makes fans rates them in gallons per second. They use cubic feet per minute. That's 40 cfm for this guy. Now go compare around other small desk fans, and you'll find they all move a few hundred cfm. Dyson deliberately obfuscates (or omits) the airflow rating so you can't make your own objective comparison.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Dyson Fan Balloon Obstacle Course

http://amnesiablog.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/dyson-fan-balloon-obstacle-course/

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

tgmarus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgmarus

When I first saw this I thought it was like the submarine in Hunt for Red October but for air. Or Something like a electronic air cleaner that ionizes the air then accelerates using fins with very high voltage applied. But its just a slick looking fan using something like Lockheed Martin Avro technology that didn’t work then and doesn’t work now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar

commodog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages commodog

Almost in, but its about $140.00 too much still

whitehatsforhire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitehatsforhire

I hate the commercials for this thing, you can’t understand a word the guy is saying, all I hear is “please buy this overpriced crap so I don’t have to get a real job”, “good day mate!”

You must not be holding your face right.

primegrop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages primegrop

If you think the poop is ever going to hit the fan, then this is the one to have. Otherwise, it's kind of a waste of money.

whitehatsforhire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitehatsforhire
narquespamley wrote:The actual airflow of this fan, which Woot so thoughtfully decided to not disclose, is 5 gallons per second. Now, nobody else who makes fans rates them in gallons per second. They use cubic feet per minute. That's 40 cfm for this guy. Now go compare around other small desk fans, and you'll find they all move a few hundred cfm. Dyson deliberately obfuscates (or omits) the airflow rating so you can't make your own objective comparison.

excellent point, I can urinate faster then that, depends how good the beer is

You must not be holding your face right.

bargeon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargeon

A blade-less fan with a "dimmer switch". Great.
Maybe it's a bulb-less light too.

indytycoon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages indytycoon
geo8rge wrote:Dyson Fan Balloon Obstacle Course

Can I borrow $10,000? I'm going to make my own Dyson Fan Balloon obstacle course.

moleary1018

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moleary1018

This is pretty much the only Dyson product I'm not impressed with...

Now if they ever have the Dyson hand-dryers on here (at a good price) I'm in for three! I highly recommend it, it is so choice! (anyone? anyone?)

Strick28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Strick28

Somebody asked what's wrong with America...Here it is, crap like this and people get sucked right in to buying it...

indytycoon

I have never seen one of these things in someone's home... just sayin'

tgmarus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgmarus

Dyson Fan Balloon Obstacle Course is like the LHC for ballons, what good is that.

Baldwin64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Baldwin64
curtise wrote:If everyone who buys one gets together, we can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNcjkZ6d0w

I'll bring the balloon.

-=C=-

Neat but at $150 a pop for approx 100 +or- fans (yes I sat and tried to count them) that's $15,001.00 for a bunch of fan fun.

I added the $1 for a pack of balloons.

Of course I'm going to have to spend all day making 34 accounts being that I can order only 3 at a time.

JonPowell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JonPowell
moleary1018 wrote:This is pretty much the only Dyson product I'm not impressed with...

Now if they ever have the Dyson hand-dryers on here (at a good price) I'm in for three! I highly recommend it, it is so choice! (anyone? anyone?)

I'm not impressed with any Dyson products. They do the same thing a competing product does but at a much higher price.

indytycoon

Ok, people have better start buying these things, or we'll see them in the next Woot! Off

rick317

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rick317

Im looking at this fan for $82.54 on amazon new with free shipping

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

Well, at least you can say the sh*t hit the air multiplier..... Not sure is the meaning carries over.

roadhunter

quality posts: 14 Private Messages roadhunter
xcapone wrote:This is pretty neat, it allegedly produces 15 times the amount of air it takes in and provides a more consistent breeze than a fan because the air is compressed in a sense before being expelled.

Producing more air than it takes in is against the laws of physics. Can't happen. It's called marketing.

chaoszeus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chaoszeus
nolimit wrote:It's funny how much people cry about not getting a Bundle of Crops.. get over it, it's not the end of the world.

yes it is. waaah

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
jnm858 wrote:Good video explanation of the fan by Mr. Dyson himself. . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6314107/Dyson-bladeless-fan-how-it-works.html

Funny,if this fan sold for $35 we would be calling him Jimmy Dyson but it sells for $150 so it's Mr Dyson.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

WAY too expensive to NOT have the Darth Vader voice changing function...

sgoman5674

quality posts: 41 Private Messages sgoman5674

So on the day when Woot sells a Dyson fan, they release a heater. oooohhhhh aaahhhhhh

cwolfpack3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwolfpack3

"no buffeting"?

How will those poor children eat if they can't belly up to the buffet?

Thanks to Woot's big anniversary, I'm no longer a bee oh cee virgin. Woohoo!

cwolfpack3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cwolfpack3
cwolfpack3 wrote:"no buffeting"?

How will those poor children eat if they can't belly up to the buffet?

... and for that price, it should include a month's worth of free buffets! I'll stick with my Wally World box fan, thank you very much. At least it comes with "buffeting"!

Thanks to Woot's big anniversary, I'm no longer a bee oh cee virgin. Woohoo!

mshylton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshylton
W9GFO wrote:Uh, it definitely does have blades. They are enclosed in the base.

Technically, it doesn't have "blades", it has "impellers". However, both are flat-ish pieces of plastic/metal that spin around and force air from here to there.

indytycoon

cwolfpack3 wrote:"no buffeting"?

What is Jimmy going to say about that?

Dud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud

If it hasn't been said before here goes ...

If you can, try one of these out before you buy. You wouldn't think they would be as loud as they are.

While these fans might not produce the amount of "buffeting" air that a traditional fans does ... it is as loud or louder which, together with the price makes this a very unattractive product to me.

thetmaxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thetmaxx

I know it's been said, but I have seen these in the store, and checked it out.

Very poor build quality, very loud! Doesn't move much air at all.

And I personally have never felt buffetting from any fan, so I see no need for this.

ksimpkins4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksimpkins4

What is the difference between this and the one on Amazon for $82.54 (Free Shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Blade-Bladeless-Portable-Multiplier/dp/B004XO98XO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316091409&sr=8-3

jareza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jareza
curtise wrote:If everyone who buys one gets together, we can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNcjkZ6d0w

I'll bring the balloon.

-=C=-

this video was made by woot... now they are selling everything because they got bored after doing this a couple of times

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5

$150 for a fan that works no better than a $15 fan? I LOOOOOOOVE PONIES? What am I missing that makes this worth 10 times more?

mattschorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattschorr
fxfuji wrote:I was curious how a 'bladeless' fan might work and went searching... Endgadget was not very complimentary:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/12/dysons-air-multiplier-is-the-overpriced-bladeless-fan-you-never/

I have to confess though, I've been thinking for a while now that Dyson = oddball technology + overpriced products + shameless promotion

I saw one in Best Buy on display. It was not impressive.

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
mvsopen wrote:I saw one of these today at the local Big Box Store (BBS is a copyright phrase of Big Box Industries, Inc)

It was several hundred dollars more there, and really moves an amazingly large volume of air. These things would be great in a nursery, or any house with small children.

High priced, sure, but I'm a fan of this fan!

Actually, this thing is pretty puny. Air blows out about 3 ft. I saw a demo where they threw confetti into a Dyson---3 ft and dropped, then into a tabletop Vornado--15 ft and dropped. The Vornado was $25, the Dyson $300. Not impressed. At least my $30 no-name tower fans will blow 15 ft across my living room.
Caveat Emptor, Sorry Woot, no deal.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
JonPowell wrote:I'm not impressed with any Dyson products. They do the same thing a competing product does but at a much higher price.

If you vacuum regularly with something else and then switch to a dyson, you will appreciate the machine. It is a quality vac that works well and does it better than other vacs. You pay a lot more for it, but you get more value when you pay more for it. This stupid fan is different. You pay a lot more and don't get any more functionality out of the device.

muttdorff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages muttdorff

OK, what makes this fan so great and expensive?

Well, this fan does not function any better from an air movement perspective than a regular fan. The big difference is the obvious absence of the blades.
It is functional for a child's area, protecting little finger from getting chopped. It also works as paper airplane accelerator if you can throw it through the back.
The fan is not any more powerful than a $20 table fan.
If you want power, go with a Vornado fan. They are very powerful with proven technology and worth the price.
This fan is only expensive because it is the first on the market.
Just like Dyson marketed vacuums, they are marketing this fan technology.
The difference is the vacuum technology really was different and useful.
This fan technology is not nearly as profound as the vacuum technology, but the marketing is similar.

In short, the fan is not worth $250, or even $150, unless you want to have a cool-looking fan with average functionality.
I am sure knock-offs are just around the corner, so don't be surprised to see off-brand fans which look like this at $100 or less in the coming months.

alanhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alanhill

so we cant make our "LUKE YOU ARE MY FATHER" voice?

logman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages logman

If they had put this up on Monday when it was 90 degrees in the Midwest, I might have bought it. I woke up to 31 degrees and frost on my windshield. Does the Air Multiplier also multiply heat?

StevieT

quality posts: 3 Private Messages StevieT

$20 for a fan in the base
$130 for advertising and marketing