Willmonwah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Willmonwah
SuperNinja wrote:Those don't have a trackpoint.

[Agreed.] The trackpoint is really useful in cramped conditions like on a bus or a plane because your hand can stay rested over the keyboard and not cramped by the trackpad.

umkvec

quality posts: 1 Private Messages umkvec

Lenovo Outlet has them as well, for a similar price:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/thinkpad/059lr0rfy8.html

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

Hmmm, this looks like a netbook. How are these in comparison to an Acer?

One thing that is really annoying me is the lack of CD/DVR capability.

www.howlingdead.com

ostermer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ostermer
joanowl wrote:Fry's has a better Lenovo laptop on sale this weekend. For less.

That's not a ThinkPad. Also, different target audience, as it's quite a bit bigger (15.6" vs. 11.6").

I bought an X120e for the wife last fall and she loves it. We did have an issue with the keyboard going bad, but Lenovo took care of that. I also upgraded the RAM but didn't swap to an SSD.

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee
skou wrote:Mao been dead many year!

(Translation) OK, Chairman Mao has been at room temperature for numerous years now, silly American!

Seriously, we used to have the ThinkPads built by (Central) Americans!

My T-23s have a "Made In Mexico" sticker on them.

Built in the land of my Father.

steve

They make wayyyy better beer in Mexico, though.

Potrzebie!

DarkZrobe

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe
skywarrior3 wrote:Hmmm, this looks like a netbook. How are these in comparison to an Acer?

These are constructed MUCH better than the acers. These also have the AMD Fusion chips that are much better than the atom chips. The fusion chip kinda sits between the atom and a regular laptop cpu for performance.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

Fry's won't ship them either. Store Pickup Only.

kurrelgyre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kurrelgyre
skou wrote:OK, I've been buying and selling IBM ThinkPads for quite a few yers now. AMD?? Really?

Sorry, a T23 can beat this into the ground! And, it's made on THIS continent!

The thing about a ThinkPad, is it's durability. AMD?

Sorry, been down that road before. (NF7 AN7.)

steve

I own a T23. It hasn't been manufactured in close to a decade. I think I'd rather have modern/inexpensive RAM, SATA hard drive support, and available first-party battery replacements, and USB 2.0 instead, thank you.

migelito

quality posts: 9 Private Messages migelito

trackpoint is SOOO much better than fingering that little drawn-on box all day!

ahuff330

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ahuff330

The game recommends:
Pentium 4 2.53GHz
GeForce 6800 Series 128MB
Radeon 9000 Series 64MB
512 MB RAM

I think you can manage, but you might be cutting it close with the processor and graphics.

johnsonium

quality posts: 6 Private Messages johnsonium

I saw this exact laptop at Wal-Mart online a couple days ago on sale for $299. I really wanted to buy it at that price. This really isn't a good Woot. In fact, the current off-sale price is $368.98.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Black-11.6-Thinkpad-X120E-0596-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Fusion-E-350-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/19604212?wmlspartner=NKa3hZyYoHA&sourceid=42848683403876994935

Thinkpads are unbeatable, and yes, I consider them sexy. They are sexy in an industrial, visceral, no-nonsense way. I'm typing on one right now.

damaged

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damaged

I'm thinking Fusion VMWare if your Mac can handle it. Which, if your Mac was purchased in the last three to four years or so, is yes.

kurrelgyre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kurrelgyre
umkvec wrote:Lenovo Outlet has them as well, for a similar price:

That includes twice the RAM, but not the faster E-350 processor this one has.

evilmicrowizard

quality posts: 7 Private Messages evilmicrowizard

Funny, none of those laptops appears to have an 11.6" screen. (OR a Trackpoint, as was mentioned. Or being part of the Thinkpad line.)

Not quite apples and oranges, but then again not that far off from it either.

richaemry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richaemry

This is a rare day on woot. There are other retailers and etailers with a better price on this item. I hate to say it guys, but you should have checked around before listing this @ this price.

Dilcue

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dilcue

I've wanted one of these since last year, but wound up going with a MacBook Air 11" instead. Still, some nights I still pine for the that yellow USB port that powers your devices, even when the laptop's off. Nicely done, Lenovo.

This isn't a deal, though; $300 is the going price on Lenovo.com.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus
skywarrior3 wrote:Hmmm, this looks like a netbook. How are these in comparison to an Acer?

While I can't speak for the particular models in question, Acer is known for flimsy construction and Lenovo is known for tanking damage like a paladin on PCP.

Not having an optical drive is definitely a big minus, but again this is really a netbook with benefits. If you don't already have one, just assume an extra $40 to the price tag for an external drive to get your stuff on.

DarkZrobe

ahuff330 wrote:The game recommends:
Pentium 4 2.53GHz
GeForce 6800 Series 128MB
Radeon 9000 Series 64MB
512 MB RAM

I think you can manage, but you might be cutting it close with the processor and graphics.

Those specs really dont match up. The Fusion chip is several generations after the P4s and you really cant compare Ghz. And as for the graphics card its the HD version which is 5-6 generations after that card... However it is a mobile chip so I am not sure how much the difference is. Either way I think it will play it fine.

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389
johnsonium wrote:
Thinkpads are unbeatable, and yes, I consider them sexy. They are sexy in an industrial, visceral, no-nonsense way. I'm typing on one right now.

What a coincidence i am typing this on my old T41 right now

lxl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lxl

The $330 one from Fry's is not necessarily better than x120e, and most likely you need to pay sales tax.

If this x120e has 4GB RAM I will surely get one.

senorgringolingo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages senorgringolingo

Last week this was $298 at WalMart, same configuration. Now it's $368 there: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Black-11.6-Thinkpad-X120E-0596-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Fusion-E-350-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/19604212?adid=1500000000000027727720

I bought the fully upgraded model (4GB memory, bluetooth) for $430 from Buy.com last fall.

Frikkin great laptop at any price!

mrgulio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrgulio
KoraPlaya wrote:Can this handle FPS games like Counter Strike Source?

Very much doubt it could handle any sort of gaming. It has only 2 gigs of RAM with a max of 4 while running Win7.

evilmicrowizard

namepl wrote:I'm running the X220 for classes and such for a few months now. Similar physical setup.

But the X220 is a total beast compared to this There are reasons it costs 3x as much!

Typing this on an X61 tablet...

evilmicrowizard

Dilcue wrote:This isn't a deal, though; $300 is the going price on Lenovo.com.

Link please? Going price AFAICT is $399 for this model: X120e

DarkZrobe

mrgulio wrote:Very much doubt it could handle any sort of gaming. It has only 2 gigs of RAM with a max of 4 while running Win7.

Counter Strike is a pretty old game. I think it will play any of those older games from that time without a problem. Newer games, not so much.

sparkinium

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparkinium
mrgulio wrote:Very much doubt it could handle any sort of gaming. It has only 2 gigs of RAM with a max of 4 while running Win7.

The x120e has a maximum memory limit of 8GB under Windows 7 64-bit.

I made a video review of the 0596-2RU version of this computer (Same as Woot, but with 4GB RAM, and Windows 7 Pro). If you're interested, check it out here.

It's worth noting that the x130e is now on sale, and includes the option of a significantly faster Intel processor, though that option will cost you an extra $200 on top of this.

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
casey00001 wrote:Fry's won't ship them either. Store Pickup Only.

Good catch.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus
DarkZrobe wrote:Counter Strike is a pretty old game. I think it will play any of those older games from that time without a problem. Newer games, not so much.

Yeah, 6310 will handle old games just fine; it just won't do newer stuff. It's still better than Intel's integrated graphics options, though that's not really saying much. AMD is going to wipe the floor with Intel after a few design iterations, and nVidia is getting in on the action too (look up their upcoming chip Denver).

lxl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lxl
umkvec wrote:Lenovo Outlet has them as well, for a similar price:

This one has different (old/slow) processor, but it has 4GB RAM.

wooftejo99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wooftejo99

There is a context here that I think has been missed. This was THE laptop last year at CES for the ultraportable segment. Before the rush of ultrabooks (macbook air excluded) came out this year, this really was one of the best ultraportable options on the PC side. It is last year's model but, for the price you are getting a great AMD processor, just search youtube. This can handle many FPS games at low settings but, it plays HD content well and is perfect for on the go computing. It is not meant to be a desktop replacement or even a blazing fast laptop. The 15.6 model on FRY's may be faster but, you are trading size and weight. This would have been a steal even 6 months ago. It's a fair price but...in the end I would rather put this money towards a newer ultraportable...especially with ivy bridge around the corner.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-review/

johnsonium

namepl wrote:...For the most part I like it, but the touchpad drives me nuts. Like half the time I end up brushing it as I'm typing and it ends up sending the cursor into the middle of a paragraph I just typed. It's usually a half sentence or two before I realize. It can get pretty bad when I'm taking notes during lectures. Even using one of those programs that ignores touchpad input while typing doesn't work 100% of the time.

I think you can turn off the touchpad in the BIOS. I know you can in the X200.

I bought my girlfriend an X200 tablet Xmas 2010. It's freaking awesome.

The x120 is not really comparable to the X2xx. It's more of a souped-up netbook with Thinkpad looks and build quality. The X2xx is a full-fledged laptop in an ulta-portable form factor.

DarkZrobe

bogus wrote:Yeah, 6310 will handle old games just fine; it just won't do newer stuff. It's still better than Intel's integrated graphics options, though that's not really saying much. AMD is going to wipe the floor with Intel after a few design iterations, and nVidia is getting in on the action too (look up their upcoming chip Denver).

For a while there I thought the idea of the CPU was going to change over to what was called a GPGPU (General Purpose Graphic Processing Unit) since that was what AMD was going with. However with the huge demand for smart phone and the increase development of ARM chips and... Windows 8 supporting the ARM architecture. I think for the average user they will be using a ARM chip.

parahaps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parahaps
johnsonium wrote:

I also really like the classic old-school look of the Thinkpads. Not a fan of gaudy, glossy plastic, and I hated the way my old metal-cased Powerbook tried to sterilize me.

I can't speak for this little chicletty netbook, but I love my T61p (an *entirely* different class machine, but people seem to think this one keeps up the brand's build quality reputation).

sparkinium

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparkinium
johnsonium wrote:I think you can turn off the touchpad in the BIOS. I know you can in the X200.

There's actually a function key shortcut (Fn-F8) to do it. Handy.

oztrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oztrich

Thanks for the price checking. I really wanted this but the specs say max RAM is 4g. Someone said they put 8g in this model. Are the specs wrong or are they mistaken? Either way I don't need to jump on this today if I can pick it up anytime at around this price.

I, too, remember once upon a time getting great deals on woot, those that were worth staying up past midnight for. Sad that those days are no more...

johnsonium

sparkinium wrote:There's actually a function key shortcut (Fn-F8) to do it. Handy.

I just looked on my T61 keyboard and sure enough, there it is. I've never bothered to notice because I use the touchpad almost all of the time, except in cramped spaces.

DarkZrobe

I am not sure why everyone is complaining about the price. I searched around the web for this model and the prices were around $360+. And the people posting other deals are posting consumer laptops. This is a business laptop that is built better than most consumer laptops. There are many things in this that you wouldn't find on other laptops (such as the spill resistant keyboard and better built case).

This is a laptop that is built to last. Unlike many other laptops on the market.

Thinkpads are what Macs want to be when they grow up.

DarkZrobe

oztrich wrote:Thanks for the price checking. I really wanted this but the specs say max RAM is 4g. Someone said they put 8g in this model. Are the specs wrong or are they mistaken? Either way I don't need to jump on this today if I can pick it up anytime at around this price.

I, too, remember once upon a time getting great deals on woot, those that were worth staying up past midnight for. Sad that those days are no more...

Why do you want to put 8GBs in this anyway? Seems like you might be trying to do something that this netbook was not intended to do. If you really need that much you might want to consider a more powerful laptop. Go get a T420, I dont think you will be disappointed.

Syndil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Syndil

Have the 05962RU version of the x120e (1.6GHz, Win7 Pro, 4GB, 320GB), love it. Keep the powerful desktop at the home office, but travel light. I use Windows Live Mesh to keep the two synced on the go.

As far as netbooks go, this is a workhorse of a netbook. If you want sexy or sleek or tons of bells and whistles, buy an HP. If you want a powerful, reliable machine for getting stuff done, get a Lenovo.

But yeah, 8GB RAM in a netbook indicates someone who doesn't know what they are doing. 4GB is more than adequate for anything you would want to throw at it, and 2GB is just fine for most basic tasks like web browsing and email.

allene222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages allene222

I have two laptops, one similar to this one and one similar to the Frys one. The one similar to the Frys one is a POS. The keyboard and track pad are so bad the machine is unusable, which is why I have two. The ThinkPad model, like this one is in a different class than the standard Lenovo model. I would buy this one if I didn't already have one.