WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

This week's Music Monday is a look at the most important part of any real rock song: the intro lick. Scott's breaking down five of the very best, the kind of songs that will have you run in from the other room to turn up the radio. Come on in to find descriptions,  discussion, and a link to our weekly Spotify playlist.

Here's what a good intro lick needs. One: it's gotta wake you up like an alarm clock. And two, you have to be able to sing it as you bob your head and wave the horns of rock. Someone like Richard Thompson, for example, is a great guitarist, but sing his guitar part and you'll get tired real fast. A good lick is like a jingle, it's gotta be short, catchy, memorable and repeating. Like, for example, Scott's first pick:

The Raspberries - Go All The Way

When it comes to K-Tel friendly hits, the Raspberries exist in that perfect place between The Sweet and Kaptain Kool and the Kongs. "Go All The Way" was and is a solid smash, but everything else is just kinda… well, there's a reason most people will never hear the words "I own every Raspberries album!" But that opening lick still grabs you, don't it? Broww dat dat! Bat dat dat! Brrr-oww dat dat! Bat dat dat!

Today we're looking at the very best intro licks, and we want you to contribute too. But there's a catch: if you submit it, you've got to write it out. Remember, we're not rating the guitarists themselves, we're just talking about their opening licks. And if you want your submission to be on the Spotify playlist next week, you gotta write it out like Scott did.

And speaking of which remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is New Beginnings and it came out pretty well. Just know that before you start remembering last week, you've gotta check out our current Music Monday below.

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant

We've talked before about manufactured bands, so what made the Sex Pistols cool while the Monkees were considered corporate? Well, it could be how they ripped off EMI, or it could be how John Lydon always had some ready comeback, but it could also be how a lot of their songs start with an easy-to-understand, super catchy lick. "Pretty Vacant" could be the best of these and almost begs you to turn up the radio and nod your head. Bada DEE DEE bada dee dee. Bada DEE DEE bada dee dee.

Alice Cooper - School's Out

There was a time when a song that said "the school's been blown to pieces" was accepted as childish parody. Sadly, we're past that point, and a song like this one just couldn't be a radio hit today. Which is a shame, because the opening licks instantly wake up the rebellious adolescent inside us all. Bat dat daaaaa, bat dat daaaaa, bat da daaat daaaaa.

Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle

You don't even have to like Guns N' Roses to appreciate the beauty of the first two seconds of their arguably most famous hit. And then, right after it, there's a second wave! This is the kind of song that rock stars pray they'll uncover, the kind of song that you can tease to make a stadium leap to their feet. Badada dadada dadada! Bada dadada dadada dadada! Bat da dat da dat da dat da da! Bat da dat da dat da dat da da!

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

Yeah, go on. Call me hipster. But that opening is just slamming guitar. It's back and forth like a playground swingset and it's got all the energy of a kid full of birthday cake. And lest you think I'm breaking my other rule, here it is written out: VrwoooWEEE vrwooooWAAA VrwoooWEEE vrwooooWAAA VrwoooWEEE vrwooooWAAA VrwoooWEEE vrwooooWAAA. That's right. If you can write it out, no matter how complex, it counts!

Get your transcription ear ready, because only the best Onomatopoeia masters will get the points today. Pick that special lick Scott overlooked, write it in the comments, then spell it out with words! And after you help us confuse the mods, hit the Turntable.fm room for our regular Music Monday experience.

Quality Posts

headly21

quality posts: 3 Private Messages headly21

Steve Howe's intro to "Siberian Khatru" from Yes' Close to the Edge album is one of my all-time favorites; I use it as my ringtone!
It goes something like this:

badat dah, badaba daba-dow, chkah chkah
badat dow, badaba daba-dat dowwwww...

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/angeldeb82/UmJammerLammyTopic/VacuumGuitar.jpg?o=

I hate The Rolling Stones, but even I have to admit the intro to Start Me Up is amazing. Definitely a very iconic intro.

As for a choice from a band I like:

Spoon: Take A Walk.
It's a simple, catchy, rocking intro and if you just finished listening to 'Anything you want' (previous album track) you definitely sit up in your seat, perk your ears up, and say "alright I like where this is headed"
Edit: I have to make the sounds like?? I hate you scott, alright here we go
Sounds Like: shrkashrka shurkaka- DUN DUN-DA DA-DUNKA DUN-DAH DA-KAH DUN-KAH
I gotta go to work for now but I'll definitely be back with some more.

This isn't a lick. but definitely makes a great intro for a great alarm clock. 'denial Luck' by modest mouse - Great motivator to wake up and get out of bed.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

"Layla" by Derek and the Dominos

edit: dadahdahdahdahdadah wah waah waah wah
(:

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

malcam66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malcam66

The intro to Gimme Shelter is haunting and fabulous. Best IMHO.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

Edited because sometimes I don't read very well :B

Those first few guitar licks on ZZ Top's La Grange let you know to turn the volume up just in time (right before it really starts to rock).
Da da da da da, da dee da dee de da de da da da da.

Then after a few vocals and a drum intro it's like:
BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM OMGROCKITOUTAND BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM.

Well, something like that.

The great Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode is another fine example.

(Row is said like a rocker or cat RREOOOOW! not like row your boat) Row pa pow pa pow pa row row, Row pa pow pa pow pa row row, row ra pow pa, row ra pow pa GO!

There aren't any WHEEDLY WHEEDLY WHEEDLY's licks in either of the two songs but they are still pretty epic.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

You guys, remember you gotta type out the lick for it to count! Everybody go back and edit those posts.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Woodpecker

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woodpecker

O'Jays - For the Love of Money
Badda - Ba - Ba - Ba
Ba - da - da da da da da da
Badda - Ba - Ba - Ba
Ba - da - da da da da da da

Money Money Money Money .... Money!

mudking

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mudking

As a bass player, I have to mention one of the best bass riff intros - "Money" by Pink Floyd'

Bum-ba-ba-bum bum-bum-bum-ba-bum
Bum-ba-ba-bum bum-bum-bum-ba-bum

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Queen: Under Pressure
Dun dun dun dadadah dun

Not to be confused with Ice Ice baby
Sounds Like: Dun Dun Dun Dah-Dah-DUN dun

I wish I had that video of Vanilla Ice explaining the subtle difference between the two with the hand motions. Does anybody have that?

drumdude66

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drumdude66

This intro lick might as well feature two Les Pauls emerging from the speakers and pounding the defenseless listener into a helpless, unrecognizable pulp--except for the devil-horned hands still raised in a salute to what just transpired.

Lest we forget: FASTWAY, "Say What You Will!"
DUNNULLA DUNNULLA DUNNULLA DA DA NA! DEOW NEOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5_oPyavUaw

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming

Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Chun ka-dunk...
chik chickadick–Chun ka-dunk...
chik chickadick

{drums} kaWHUMPa-kaWHUMPa

jezebelseven

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jezebelseven
CowboyDann wrote:
I wish I had that video of Vanilla Ice explaining the subtle difference between the two with the hand motions. Does anybody have that?

Theirs goes "ding ding ding dingy ding".
Ours goes ding ding ding dingy ding tss! It's not the same!

Trade with me on TeeTrade!
THINK OF THE PATHOGENS!!!

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

I distinctly remember being at a party in the mid '80s and hearing this for the first time:

Nah wah wah Wah wah wah Wah wah wah Nah wah Wah wah Wah wah Wah wah

Nah wah wah Wah wah wah Wah wah wah Nah wah Wah wah Wah wah Wah wah

Nah wah wah Wah wah wah Wah wah wah wah wah

BREEEEeeee

The intro to How Soon Is Now? still completely grabs my attention no matter what I'm doing.

gyozaking

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gyozaking

[edit] Oops, not an intro

Reen-toon-teen-toon-teen-toon-tee-nu-nee-nu-nee

- "Outside Now" by Frank Zappa

abitterwoman

jezebelseven wrote:

Theirs goes "ding ding ding dingy ding".
Ours goes ding ding ding dingy ding tss! It's not the same!

HAHA! I remember that! Hilarious. Nice post

Also, I edited mine to type out the epic intros as asked.

alanlyon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alanlyon

This isn't lick specific, but we used to refer to Eddie Van Halen's annoying (and oft-imitated) fretboard-tapping guitar style as "hiddlywaddly" guitar. Also, we referred to any overblown drumming style, notably when using the unforgivable double kick as "flappadoodle" drumming.

benzaholic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages benzaholic

If anybody can identify a song that kind of fits, there's gotta be a way we can get a
Bow Chicka Wow Wow
in here.

X-WebTV-Stationery: Standard; BGColor=red; Background="http://yourfavoritescarypicture"; TextColor=red
I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. -- Escher

mikeebee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mikeebee

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

so many to think of

avielectron

quality posts: 2 Private Messages avielectron

inrto lick changed my life... i mean in the 80's yo, i was like a horrible racist, i mean yea i was only about 6 yeasr olds but i never would have thought that integration was possible.. until aerosmith and run dmc changed my whole world view.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

bada da da bada da da daa

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 126 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

abitterwoman wrote:There aren't any WHEEDLY WHEEDLY WHEEDLY's licks in either of the two songs but they are still pretty epic.

My favorite comment so far!

tman2088

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tman2088

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

ba ba bee dah ba dabada dee dah badabadah dee

I'll crank it up whether I'm watching Forrest Gump or listening to a terrible rendition of Kid Rock's All Summer Long... maybe not so much the latter.

headly21

quality posts: 3 Private Messages headly21
gyozaking wrote:[edit] Oops, not an intro

Reen-toon-teen-toon-teen-toon-tee-nu-nee-nu-nee

- "Outside Now" by Frank Zappa

That's a good one.

abitterwoman

agingdragqueen wrote:My favorite comment so far!

Haha, thank you

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
LarryLars wrote:"Layla" by Derek and the Dominos

edit: dadahdahdahdahdadah wah waah waah wah
(:

Clearly wrong. It's:

Wheedle-eedle-eedle-eee
Wing, wing, wing, wing. {repeat}

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

how about this one?

booow booow, booow booow,
wa-da da bow wah da da da,
bow wah da da da

(ans: "It's only love" by Bryan Adams and Tina Turner)

NB: Bryan Adams had a lot of awesome opening riffs on his Reckless album.

ChartBoy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChartBoy

Who can forget the first time they heard this?

Boom-Bwa Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa Wa

Agghhhhhaaaaaaaa!

(Revolution - The Beatles)

Still gets me fired up!

dell2342

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dell2342

Daaa Da Da Da Na,
Daaa Da Da Da Na

Suffragette City

yabloracer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yabloracer
benzaholic wrote:If anybody can identify a song that kind of fits, there's gotta be a way we can get a
Bow Chicka Wow Wow
in here.

About as close as I can get....can anyone do better?

Bwowwm bu-chic-ka chicka chicka chicka

Modern Love - David Bowie

EDIT: Lol, 2 David Bowie songs in a row.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Absolute top intro riff of all time.

All time!

Dowwww bow dow bow da-na-noww
Ba-da-da-da-dow, bow da-na-now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd3jDzp0QjM

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Clearly wrong. It's:

Wheedle-eedle-eedle-eee
Wing, wing, wing, wing. {repeat}

That's more southern style ;) (which is what you would expect from Duane Allman playing the slide!)

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

Prometheus22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Prometheus22

Okokok. So its not guitar. But it is a "good intro lick"...

Please people... if you've never heard it give it at least 20 seconds of a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqCGROeAEpQ

Boney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Boney

Welcome to the Jungle is okay, but I don't think it compares to the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine. Instantly recognizable.

Dur-Dee-Doo-dle-DEE-dle-Dee-dle
(etc.)

Rush's Freewill is another good one:
Duddleuddle-Eeedleoodle, Uddleooddle-Oddloodle
(repeat)

But, what must be the most iconic intro of all time, Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water:
Duht-Duht-DUUUNN, Duht-Duht, DAH-DUUUN! Duht-Duht DUUUUN, Daht-DOOOOON!

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

I can't believe nobody's mentioned one of the greatest intro licks ever -- Bom, da-dwee-da-dum-de; bom, da-dwee-da-dum-de; [lower] bom, da-dwee-da-dum-de; [back up there] bom, da-dwee-da-dum-de....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34P18at0Q7s

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

And for catching attention....

Nah-n'na.
Nah-n'nah.
Nah-n'neh, nah-n'neh, nah, n'neh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5kv8QeBBc

Woodpecker

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woodpecker
benzaholic wrote:If anybody can identify a song that kind of fits, there's gotta be a way we can get a
Bow Chicka Wow Wow
in here.

How about Bwow - ba - bwow - dow
Dow - dow - dow - dwow
Dow - chicka -dow - dow - chicka dow - chicka - dow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_qHU_6Ofc0&feature=related

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Doom. Doom-doom-doom doom-doom-doom-doom-doom doom.

Doom. Doom-doom-doom doom-doom-doom-doom-doom doom.

The Chain. Fleetwood Mac. John McVie on bass. Completely sets to mood for some of the most gut-wrenching vocals in any breakup song, ever.

Stone99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stone99

dweeeeeeee...... Bummm Bumm bun nuh; budududuh Bummm bumm bun nuh

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 126 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Sax solo and guitar solo, why aren't you guys talkin' 'bout Baker Street?

WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEEEEE-weee-we-wooo-woo-wedolidee... oh now I understand.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
headly21 wrote:Steve Howe's intro to "Siberian Khatru" from Yes' Close to the Edge album is one of my all-time favorites; I use it as my ringtone!
It goes something like this:

badat dah, badaba daba-dow, chkah chkah
badat dow, badaba daba-dat dowwwww...

I read this a day late, and this is the first one I thought of. Good job, also I would have written that last one "dowowow"