WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

D&D Co-Creator Gary Gygax Has Passed Away, Tuesday, March 4, 2008.

1. “Quick! Someone cast Raise Dead!”
  2. “Don’t worry – he’s just playtesting the Astral Plane for the next edition.”
  3. “He’s gone the way of Star Frontiers.”
  4. “Analysts warn of a free-fall in Mountain Dew futures.”
  5. “In the next town, you meet a stranger named Barry Bygax.”
  6. “Now who will lead our young people to Satan?”
  7. “With his last breath, he cursed the name of Marlon Wayans.”
  8. “I wonder how they’ll divide up his XP.”
  9. “Pallbearers, make a Bend Bars/Lift Gates roll.”
  10. "At least he didn't live to see Disney's Greyhawk On Ice."
  11. “Lorraine Williams is behind this somehow, I just know it.”
  12. “The worlds of adventure gaming, fantasy fandom, and van painting will never be the same.”
  13. “When I heard, I cried 2d10 tears.”
  14. “Is there anything in the will about electrum?”
  15. “Heart condition? Wow, I always thought it’d be owlbears that got him.”
  16. “Suddenly, nobody in Heaven wants to hang out with Marilyn Monroe on Friday night.”

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Errr...no danger of that.

lukeduff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lukeduff

Raise Dead doesn't work if the creature has died of old age (which would include heart conditions at the age of 70).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm

BC4L!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

That's so sad... I played D&D WAAAAAY too often growing up...

HitsHerMark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HitsHerMark

These all just about killed me.

But you forgot...

"I guess he failed his Save vs Death."

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Dang, I don't get any of that stuff!
Curse you, social interaction!

jrgreenfield1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrgreenfield1

I was just going for:

D&D Co-Creator Gary Gygax Has Passed Away, Alone with a really tired right hand.

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
HitsHerMark wrote:These all just about killed me.

But you forgot...

"I guess he failed his Save vs Death."

Luckily no one else forgot that.

ryanhartkopf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryanhartkopf

I'm Mr. G and I'm a clammy white elf Mohawk.

Edit: My bad, somehow I thought he was the co-creator of WoW. Next time I'll try reading.

http://ryanhartkopf.blogspot.com

lukeduff

jrgreenfield1 wrote:I was just going for:

D&D Co-Creator Gary Gygax Has Passed Away, Alone with a really tired right hand.

Wikipedia says "as of 2005, he was father to six children and grandfather to seven"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

BC4L!

dwarf74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwarf74

He'll be missed. Most of the best, long-term friends I've made, I've met through gaming.

And I think he would have loved all of these.

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

Didn't Futurama have him on an episode where Fry asks the "What-if" machine "What if I never was frozen and came to the future?"

If so, then right now GG is in a pure white nothingness, waiting for his playing buddies to show up.

jrgreenfield1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrgreenfield1

I'm sorry. The intention of my comment was to poke fun at the many D&D people who, by common stereotype, are geeks. I used the internet to poke fun at those I don't know but I am deeply sorry for his families loss. He may well have been a great guy and he certainly did build quite an iconic following and fortune to boot.

ncontorno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ncontorno
jrgreenfield1 wrote:I'm sorry. The intention of my comment was to poke fun at the many D&D people who, by common stereotype, are geeks. I used the internet to poke fun at those I don't know but I am deeply sorry for his families loss. He may well have been a great guy and he certainly did build quite an iconic following and fortune to boot.

I took that as a joke that his right hand was tired from rolling the dice so much. Maybe it's just me ...

I survived the moving lips / shirt.woot launch tee server crash of 2007.
Barrels of Crud: 9 / Monkeys: 20 / Monkey Shirts: 1 / Leakfrogs: 1 / Launch shirts: 1 / Woots: too many

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

jrgreenfield1 wrote:I'm sorry. The intention of my comment was to poke fun at the many D&D people who, by common stereotype, are geeks. I used the internet to poke fun at those I don't know but I am deeply sorry for his families loss. He may well have been a great guy and he certainly did build quite an iconic following and fortune to boot.

I think we all meant our jokes with love. We had fun with the list in the secret writer's treehouse because we knew we were leaving a memorial for a guy who devoted his life to helping whiny reclusive geeks have fun. Which means, without him, we might not have ever figured out we could be alone together on the Internet! I never met the man, but I suspect he would have taken your joke in the spirit it was meant. Assuming you made your charisma roll.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

phignuton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phignuton

Save versus death magic at -4....

Ow.

I'm so sorry... Had to be said.

Ashleyrah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ashleyrah

ROFL - great jokes. He will be missed! <quickly wipes away 1d4 tears>

dfawley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfawley

I would hope you wouldn't catch me making those jokes... they SUCK.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

dfawley wrote:I would hope you wouldn't catch me making those jokes... they SUCK.

...Mom?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Shiba Ogami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shiba Ogami
lukeduff wrote:Raise Dead doesn't work if the creature has died of old age (which would include heart conditions at the age of 70).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm

But he was only 69

zetec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zetec

Having a really bad day today (Gygax's death not the precipitating factor, but painful nonetheless), I want to say thank you. These really cheered me up.

DaveCCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DaveCCK

Man, #15 slayed me. When I go, I hope it's via owlbears.

If I cannot earn your respect, please allow me to purchase it from you.

yellojkt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellojkt

Too late. I already used this line on my blog:

"Gary Gygax has lost his final saving throw."

Read the rest here.

lukeduff

Shiba Ogami wrote:But he was only 69

Are you making some sort of 69-the-sex-position joke here? because that's inappropriate

BC4L!

Alorius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alorius

15 and 16 are the greatest! i'll miss him dearly.

"Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things"

ScottL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScottL

[
What is the thing with Marlon Wayans about, please?

rjsword

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjsword
ScottL wrote:[
What is the thing with Marlon Wayans about, please?

It's about dungeon and dragons the movie...

firesickle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firesickle

Yeah I donno what you guys are talking about in #7 I liked the movie. I meen... it's definitely a B movie with good FX but seriously... B Movies ROCK and what nerd doesn't watch a B movie here or there!

I have been playing D&D advidly since I was 15 (only 6 years in) with a group of guys who started back in Z day... I never even knew this dudes name until yesterday, but my heart goes out to his family. This man has brought me a great deal of fun over the last 6 years!

kar131313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kar131313

Fare thee well, G.G. - hope there's smooth sailing in the next life for you.

Here's a thought: Marilyn will be playing with the rest of the gang in Friday night's game, along with many others. (Hey, in Heaven you should be able to handle an adventuring party of any size and have a fun game, right?).

chstwnd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chstwnd
rjsword wrote:It's about dungeon and dragons the movie...

I REALLY looked forward to that movie, and it was so bad that I walked out about 20 minutes into it. But, I think I would blame Bruce Payne for the awfulness of the movie waaaaay more than Marlon Wayans. Bruce Payne and David Caruso must have gone to the same acting classes.

trinsf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages trinsf

I am truly sad for the loss. My ex-husband was one of the second wave playing D&D as a child (in the very early 80's) and told his parents when he was a teen that he wanted to grow up and write roleplaying games. At that tme, they said he was crazy. He grew up and spent several years writing some very well known RPG's. I met him because of a gaming group; I'm still friends with some of those folks, more than 20 years later.

That said, my current sweetie made me laugh out loud:

"Gary Gygax has passed away. He will be buried in a dodecahedral coffin."

darklordyoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darklordyoda

Shouldn't it be an icosahedral coffin?

malveaux

quality posts: 3 Private Messages malveaux

Order of the Stick did a much better tribute to him, and even fit it into the current story line:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
lukeduff wrote:Wikipedia says "as of 2005, he was father to six children and grandfather to seven"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

Well, it could have been artificial insemination. Or adoption.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

reidje

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reidje

A sad, sad day for gamers everywhere. It brings two stories to mind.

Story 1: Whenever we were playing and my mom walked into the room, she would always ask "Who's winning?" As one the group would reply "It's a roleplaying game! Nobody wins."

Story 2: While DMing one night, I informed the party that they had entered a vast cavern. My father happened to be passing by, looked at the map and said " That's not a vast cavern. That's a half-vast cavern." We resumed playing after about 5 minutes of ensuing laughter.

Hopefully they bury Gary with a copy of the DM guide and a bag of dice.

mattsal23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattsal23

Lukeduff- I believe Shiba was referring to the fact that he was 69 years old. He was born in 1938 so his 70th birthday would have been July 27.

lazycomic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lazycomic

AD&D was a (tragically?) large part of my teen years as well - a lot of good times.

I'm didn't see these until after I posted mine (at lazycomic.blogspot.com):

"Gary Gygax, co-creator of the role playing game Dungeons & Dragons, died yesterday. He was mortally wounded when unable to parry a two-handed sword attack, which did 18 hit points of damage."

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Wish they could have mixed in Mazes and Monsters somewhere in there. Tom Hanks? Anyone remember?....

bofh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bofh

They actuallu did try and resurect him but he failed his system shock roll, I guess the bill was wayy to much.

When our group plays again next week we'll observe a minutes rattle.

doctorevil64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doctorevil64

It's kinda funny, but I actually play D&D. We're playing at 6 PM today, and I will ask for a moment of silence for him as he travels to Elysium (perhaps our DM will bring him back later as a Celestial)

He did critically fail his Save vs. Death, didn't he? I wonder who cast Wail of the Banshee on him...