0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Asus Eee Box Nettop PC with Radeon HD Video & HDMI
$189.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

Product List:
- 1 Asus EB1006 Eee Box 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB SATA, HDMI, 802.11n, XP Home, Wireless Mouse & Keyboard

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

ratmeleon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ratmeleon

Is this capable of only 720p HD quality, or can it stream 1080p without issues?

EdTerrific

quality posts: 16 Private Messages EdTerrific

Windows XP doesn't work for me. I'd have to turn it into a Linux box. Anyone know if there's any problems with that??

ETerrific

namorama

quality posts: 33 Private Messages namorama

I see two sides of this.
Upside: Radeon. You will probably be able to play at least a 720p video.
Downside: single core Atom will drag everything down. If this had a dual-core Atom, it would've been a killer deal.

Decided my signature is obnoxious.
Have two lines instead.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost

Previous Woot

...and thanks to all who asked about me.

kyouran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyouran

I wanted one of these to run a status board off an LCD TV. Would look great in the war room at the office.

A poor man's version of what they do over at Panic

m1sterb0b

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m1sterb0b

I kinda wanted one of these, but I think I'm going to wait until they have one of the eee pc 1000 series up again.

p.s. anyone else having issues with http://deals.woot.com ?

I'm trying to go to http://deals.woot.com/sellout to look at the razer mouse and it wont load, just gives me a blank screen!

[MOD: Reported Deals. Thanks for the heads-up.]

[m1sterb0b: Your welcome for the heads-up, it loads now but very slowly compared to woot.com and shirt.woot, maybe high traffic?]

[MOD: Don't think so. I woke the poor code slave up to look into it.]

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost

erick99

quality posts: 21 Private Messages erick99

Very cool idea when you are light on desk space.

Erick R Williams
Only worry about the present. The past is over and the future will be the present soon enough

joebrooks

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joebrooks

Will this run Boxee, Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, Quake, Farmville, SETI, iTunes, and Jib Jab videos all at the same time? Us Boxee-Hulu-Netflix-Youtube-Quake-Farmville-SETI-iTunes-Jib-Jab lovers must know!

Woot Bag of Cuuuuuute! Alumni - 12/25/2007

bitethat

quality posts: 14 Private Messages bitethat

What an interesting looking PC... looks more like a HardDrive honestly, but at least it comes with a decent video card unlike most. The fact that is has HDMI is also a nice touch, as it's like a portable computer you can just hookup to your HDTV and have nice resolution.

I'd say for the price it's not too bad, but I'd still prefer a netbook than to have a need of finding a tv or monitor to attach it to all the time. It's nice though.

Referral linking is not permitted.

skydude20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skydude20

has anyone run boxee (http://www.boxee.tv/) with this? any good?

reggaemyelitis

quality posts: 32 Private Messages reggaemyelitis
NightGhost wrote:Product Website

Congrats on the half-millenium mark!

“Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.” -- Peter Tosh

rowanator

quality posts: 15 Private Messages rowanator
ratmeleon wrote:Is this capable of only 720p HD quality, or can it stream 1080p without issues?

1080p? It's possible. Without issues? Not likely.

volto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages volto

I use an old laptop for this purpose. Works great.

mrskandis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrskandis

Will this gadget make my TV high def? And can you go on YouTube?

erick99

CNet has a nice review and a lot of specs. ASUS Eee Box EB1006

Erick R Williams
Only worry about the present. The past is over and the future will be the present soon enough

rowanator

namorama wrote:I see two sides of this.
Upside: Radeon. You will probably be able to play at least a 720p video.
Downside: single core Atom will drag everything down. If this had a dual-core Atom, it would've been a killer deal.

I couldn't agree more--I'd be in for 2 if it had an Atom N450 (or something similar). An NVidia chip would be nice, though.

IMarks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IMarks

Please, Mr. Woot, bring back those "famous maker" refurb monitors. I need one to use with my Woot-off HP computer (which, by the way, is a *real* computer, not this fakon underpowered toy).

- Filmwonk

erick99

ratmeleon wrote:Is this capable of only 720p HD quality, or can it stream 1080p without issues?

Their website says it can do 1080.

Erick R Williams

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan

Any idea if this will run OS/X?

csimmon1

quality posts: 55 Private Messages csimmon1

the wireless mouse and keyboard work well and have good range, but the mouse is a little small you get used to it though and it has a cool blue light instead of red

CastAStone

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CastAStone

It barely plays 720p. I own one. From most sources its fine, but from demanding sources like CBS.com it can't handle it. Definitely 1080p is a no go.

1rudeboy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 1rudeboy

What can't this thing do when used as an HTPC? Gaming?

rowanator

EdTerrific wrote:Windows XP doesn't work for me. I'd have to turn it into a Linux box. Anyone know if there's any problems with that??

This thing has a pretty weak processor, so I'd recommend a netbook version (maybe Ubuntu or KUbuntu). If you keep the CPU load light, though, you'll be fine.

tito13kfm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tito13kfm

Those considering this for an XBMC setup please remember that XBMC Live (and linux in general) does not handle ATI cards well at all. A better alternative would be a Revo 1600 or 3600.

I currently use the Revo 1600 upgraded to 2gb ram and it decodes every video I have thrown at it with no hiccups.

The Radeon 4530 edges out the ion in 3d tests, so in theory this would be a great media box. Although good luck finding a workable software combination.

Sources: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4530.13972.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-G.11949.0.html

Atom n270 is too slow to consider using this with XBMC for windows, and the aforementioned lack of linux support doesn't allow the live package to thrive.

I see this as a moderately priced email/web box. Nothing more.

derpzort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages derpzort

Bought this on the previous woot and it works great for x264 videos (use WMP classic w/ DXVA). However, I still haven't been able to stream high def Flash at a good rate, and updating the drivers doesn't seem to fix this as of this date. It WILL be choppy though on 1080p x264 when a lot of things are happening on screen. I still haven't upgraded the RAM to 2GB yet so maybe it gets better? Basically, if you're sitting on a huge cache of 720p x264 videos I can highly recommend this.

AZScott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AZScott
cowboyesfan wrote:Any idea if this will run OS/X?

I too would like to know if this is a candidate to be Hackintoshed.

reggaemyelitis

quality posts: 32 Private Messages reggaemyelitis

I have been down this road before, and I still contend that the Intel N450 processor would be better suited for this device... however, if anyone thinks otherwise, please submit your ideas...

“Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.” -- Peter Tosh

roebeet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages roebeet

Radeon and Linux (if you were thinking of upgrading) do not mix well. Windows 7 would probably be a better fit, or Home Server.

And single-core means that 1080p video is not likely. You'd be lucky to squeak out 720p.

rowanator

1rudeboy wrote:What can't this thing do when used as an HTPC? Gaming?

Absolutely NO gaming on this thing. It's an Atom netbook processor, and a lower end one at that. Also, even if the processor were capable, you wouldn't be pulling much HD out of it in any games.

MrD3a7h

quality posts: 29 Private Messages MrD3a7h

What kind of range does the wireless keyboard/mouse have? They won't do you much good if you can't sit on the couch and use them reliably, or draining the batteries quickly.

Me? I'm half man, half owl, and half moose. I am ManOwlMoose. Don't tell Al Gore about me.
-Battalion of Crabs x 4 (incl Adventure Crabs x 1, Happy Hour Crabs x 1)
-Probation posts x 1

intuitionx2

quality posts: 5 Private Messages intuitionx2

needs better cpu and Windows7. Would love to see one come out with the coming Google Chrome OS.

= Pass

CastAStone

rowanator wrote:Absolutely NO gaming on this thing. It's an Atom netbook processor, and a lower end one at that. Also, even if the processor were capable, you wouldn't be pulling much HD out of it in any games.

You heard him... no gaming. Minesweeper+EeeBox=explosions!!!

MrD3a7h

quality posts: 29 Private Messages MrD3a7h
reggaemyelitis wrote:I have been down this road before, and I still contend that the Intel N450 processor would be better suited for this device... however, if anyone thinks otherwise, please submit your ideas...

From what I understand, the N4x0 and n2x0's have roughly the same performance. The 400's use significantly less power, so they are more suited to mobile machines.

Me? I'm half man, half owl, and half moose. I am ManOwlMoose. Don't tell Al Gore about me.
-Battalion of Crabs x 4 (incl Adventure Crabs x 1, Happy Hour Crabs x 1)
-Probation posts x 1

darkinc

quality posts: 31 Private Messages darkinc

Not a bad deal, could be used for server box as well. But for those who will stick with windows, home edition does not allow RDP use. You will need to use vnc teamviewer etc.

CastAStone

MrD3a7h wrote:What kind of range does the wireless keyboard/mouse have? They won't do you much good if you can't sit on the couch and use them reliably, or draining the batteries quickly.

I found that the mouse works from at least 25 feet, the keyboard is more sensitive; maybe about 20'?

doc606

quality posts: 2 Private Messages doc606

so if i upgrade or reinstall the os how does the video know to go to the hdmi port while i am doing all this?

mr

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes

This thing comes with tiny everything! Too bad there isn't a 5 inch portable monitor over at that OTHER woot.